Kentucky 2005-2006

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Manyo2
Lulu

Kentucky 2005-2006

Post by Manyo2 »

School is starting in 2 weeks and quiz bowl teams across the state will start their seasons soon after. So on that note, what are your thoughts on Bluegrass quiz bowl for the coming year?
APoikonen
Lulu

Post by APoikonen »

I will be able to tell you a lot more after our tournament on September 24 at Central Hardin High School. I hope the DuPont teams will be able to attend--we have a lot of great teams coming.
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

Of course DuPont and Dunbar will be strong and I also think Madisonville North-Hopkins is really an emerging team. Danville should be good and I didn't played Pikeville last year so I'm not sure how many Seniors graduated.
[/quote]
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

mentalchocolate wrote:Of course DuPont and Dunbar will be strong and I also think Madisonville North-Hopkins is really an emerging team. Danville should be good and I didn't played Pikeville last year so I'm not sure how many Seniors graduated.
[/quote]

they lost 2 seniors. they don't really have any strong seniors for this year. it'll be mostly rebuilding for them, but i still imagine they'll do fair.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
Not So Silent Bob
Kimahri

Post by Not So Silent Bob »

Yeah Pikeville will do well, but look for Danville to beat them out for All "A" State and to be a contender for the State Quick Recall title[/quote]
CrimeandPunishment
Lulu

Post by CrimeandPunishment »

Hey Manyo, are you scheduled to play lafayette any time this year?
Go lafayette!
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Not that I'm aware of, although we may see them at the Dunbar tournament or at state I guess.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Does Lafayette come to Dunbar's tournament?
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Any news on how teams are doing across the state? I haven't been able to keep up with it as much as I'd like. I know that Pikeville are doing fairly well once again in their conference. What about the other teams? I suppose the usual suspects, Dunbar, Manual, Russell, etc., are doing well again.

If anyone has any current conference standings or tournament results with KY teams please post. =D
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

As far as conference standings, I really can't say other than that we(Manual) haven't lost, although our conference isn't exactly Murderer's Row. Having said that, Ballard has some ability, and if they get a favorable draw at state, they could make some noise.

I hadn't seen Russell prior to last week at Hart Co. but they did well, finishing 2nd I think and putting a rather nice beating on us in the semis.

Dunbar has been their usual very strong selves. They finished 2nd IIRC at both Ezell and Cent. Hardin, and lost in the quarterfinals to Walton (IMO the best team in the southeast so far) at Vandy. They also finished 4th at Hart.

We started off in pretty disappointing fashion with a round of 16 loss at Ezell, although there isn't any shame in losing to Covenant Christian by 20. We did come back to win Vandy though, and finished 3rd at Hart (Which I believe Danville won).

Speaking of Danville, they're very, very strong. They did well at Ezell and won at Hart, they just happened to get put in a ridiculous early pool at Vandy which hurt their seed for the playoffs

That's all I know at this point
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

I believe it depends so much on the questions...I believe Dunbar, DuPont Manual, and Danville have the best depth of knowledge...although I haven't seen Russell yet. Madisonville North-Hopkins can be very good as well and I agree in the fact that Ballard could make some noise at state because they are quick. Simon Kenton got 4th at state last year, but I'm not sure who they had in their bracket.
MollyBlum
Lulu

Post by MollyBlum »

Now that two months have passed since the last post on this thread and Governor's Cup Districts are just a few weeks away, I would be interested to see what people are thinking. Not much has changed since Hart, granted, though I would be interested to hear about how the impressive showing by Dunbar and Manual at Dorman figures into thinking about state. At this point, I would say the contenders are pretty much the same teams that were being named at the beginning of the season. Manual and Dunbar are always great teams and this year is no exception. Pikeville won All A State at EKU last weekend, and they are indeed an excellent team. We (Danville) played Russell in the finals at Hart County and they were quite good, not surprising since I believe they returned the majority of last year's impressive team. We have also done fairly well for ourselves and hope to do well at state this year. Anyone else have any predictions/thoughts on what will happen in Louisville this March?
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

As far as the quick recall portion, Danville has impressed me the most. When they are on, they can be very, very good from what I have seen and heard. Dunbar and Russell can obviousy both bring it as well, although Dunbar usually suffers a bit in the Governor's Cup format as opposed to more pyramidal qb. Hopfeully we can make our presence felt.
In terms of the overall, we are probably not a factor to win it unfortunately. While we have some individual test takers who are threats to do extremely well, as a whole we aren't that strong. Not having Yilei and Tye hurts us alot on written assesments, especially Yilei, although both will be playing quick recall as far as I know. It seems to me that it will probably come down to Russell, Dunbar, and Danville, and I'd pick Dunbar by the slimmest of margins at this point.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

GovCup might be the largest waste of time ever. But I might be a little biased what with all the crap that they manage to screw up. WAs might be the shittiest approved test of knowledge in the history of mankind. When they say that Lepanto(1571) is a battle of the Crusades because there were Turks in it, who by the way are not the same as Arabs, you know something is wrong. And also, to all the other people that took humanities, what was all that crap? Random dance, what the hell is an emboite?, and obscure facts. Somehow I managed to do decently well, but unless I am mistaken they are required to cover everything, and there was a conspicuous lack of any motion pictures, that's def my weak pt. but still, I wish that they would follow their own rules.
Also, how ridiculous was that science test?
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Unfortunately I didn't get to attend any of the GovCup events this year. I totally forgot about district and my school went to College Bowl (very unfortunate) during region. A trip to Texas prevented me from attending state.

How were the social studies quick recall questions?
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Anyone hear anything about where the stats from the Male NAQT Championships are?
prewitt81
Lulu

Post by prewitt81 »

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."

Jeff Prewitt
Head Coach
Edmonson County HS Academic Team
Brownsville, KY
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Thank you much.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Is anyone else interested in Kentucky's outlook next year? How about an all-star team rather than state champions at Panasonic? Just a thought.

Anyway, Manual, Us, Danville, Russell and Pikeville should be strong again. Aside from that, someone new always seems to make some noise.
prewitt81
Lulu

Post by prewitt81 »

brownboy79 wrote:How about an all-star team rather than state champions at Panasonic? Just a thought.
Agreed.
"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."

Jeff Prewitt
Head Coach
Edmonson County HS Academic Team
Brownsville, KY
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

You Dunbar folks get a garland of roses for winning? :lol:

It's also an odd name to have "Male High School." I had to wonder why NAQT would have a Male NAQT championship...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

E.T. Chuck wrote:You Dunbar folks get a garland of roses for winning? :lol:

It's also an odd name to have "Male High School." I had to wonder why NAQT would have a Male NAQT championship...
Sexist pigs... :lol:
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

brownboy79 wrote:Anyway, Manual, Us, Danville, Russell and Pikeville should be strong again. Aside from that, someone new always seems to make some noise.
Is it just me, or does Kentucky always seem to get overlooked when people think of good quiz bowl states? It's just gotten even more competitive with Matt Knupp going over to Danville and getting them going, and there's already been solid programs for a long time at Dunbar and Daviess County plus duPont Manual, Pikeville, Russell are all usually strong, and teams like Edmonson County, Central Hardin, and Johnson Central may be underrated too (and I'm sure there's at least 2-4 other teams I've forgotten about that aren't coming to mind offhand).

I think it's going to be a long time before one team really dominates the state of Kentucky.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Anyone who knows quiz bowl knows just how strong KY is. It is as strong as any state in the US.
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

Teams in KY can be awesome. Is that Dunbar A or Dunbar B? We have faced them and they both are excellent teams and I might add, well coached.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Mac:

I was thinking about you the other day. Not many of us "old timers" left anymore. I was thinking there was soon to be one less. Sad.

JRB
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

MHanna:If you are on the team that we played at Walton, that was really our JV. If you were talking about a team from Dorman, it would've been a varsity team.

I especially enjoy when students from Male refer to different parts of the school as organs. Hey, I'm immature.
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

When I played at Pikeville I always wished that KY sent an all-star team to Panasonic. Back in my prime I think myself along with some Russell, Dupont, and Dunbar folk could have really made a great showing at Panasonic. I am sure that the kids today could do the same.

And Byko, I think one team that you are forgetting about is Madisonville-North Hopkins. They were not very competitive until last year or maybe the year before last.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08