Georgia Tech Invitational Tournament - POSTPONED

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Georgia Tech Invitational Tournament - POSTPONED

Post by ASimPerson »

Edit 2: Due to a variety of factors, the tournament is being postponed to sometime in the spring. Sorry for any inconvience.

Preliminary announcement for the Georgia Tech Inviational Tournament. Expect more details within the next week or two.

Edit: Full announcement details are below.]
Last edited by ASimPerson on Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nick Bendler, Georgia Tech '06
Moderator emeritus
quizbowllee
Auron

Re: Georgia Tech Invitational Tournament - 8/15/2005

Post by quizbowllee »

ASimPerson wrote:Preliminary announcement for the Georgia Tech Inviational Tournament. Expect more details within the next week or two.

If that date is correct, it's less than two weeks away...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
ASimPerson
Rikku

Re: Georgia Tech Invitational Tournament - 8/15/2005

Post by ASimPerson »

quizbowllee wrote:
ASimPerson wrote:Preliminary announcement for the Georgia Tech Inviational Tournament. Expect more details within the next week or two.

If that date is correct, it's less than two weeks away...
For some reason, I thought that October was now 8. Blah.

It's really October 15th.
Moderator emeritus
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Man, first it's miscounting the number of seats in the stadium, now it's miscounting the months... And y'all claim to be the math guys...
</off topic rivalry sarcasm>

So to bring this back on-topic, I should ask about questions and format, but then again, you've got a full announcement coming.

Good high school tournaments are always in short supply, so here's hoping yours adds to the list. Best of luck.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

It seems like GT has a knack for trying to hold tournaments the same day other schools do...
Florida State is planning to hold a HS tournament on 10/15/05, fyi.
It's been posted on here, and is on the GATA calendar.

Just commenting,
Billy Beyer
FSU
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

It is a long way from Tallahassee to Atlanta.

GT can get 30-40 teams easily just from Metro Atlanta IF the PSAT doesn't cut into that number AND all area teams get the information about the GT Tournament.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

jrbarry wrote:IF the PSAT doesn't cut into that number
It doesn't have to; schools have the option to either do it on the Wednesday or the Saturday. I'm not familiar with what most schools do, but when I was in HS, mine did it during the week (since it is the NMSQT).

Patrick King
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

The Georgia Tech Academic Team is pleased to announce a new high school tournament scheduled for October 15, 2005. The Georgia Tech Invitational Tournament will use a GATA-style format as it is primarily aimed towards Georgia schools, but anyone is welcome to attend. Please contact me, Nicholas Bendler, or Stephen Webb with questions, comments, or registration at [email protected] or [email protected], respectively.

Time and Place:
The tournament will be October 15, 2005 at Georgia Tech's Instructional Center (directions). Registration will start at 8:00 and the tournament will start at 9:00am. The tournament should be over by approximately 5:00pm, though this will vary depending on the number of teams registering.

Please e-mail your registration to me at [email protected]. Interested teams need to register by October 1, 2005. The field has a cap of 30 teams. Registration space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The fee is $60. Teams are required to bring one WORKING buzzer set per two teams they register (so, if you bring 1-2 teams, you must bring one system, 2-4 teams two systems, and so on). Include the following information in your registration e-mail:
  • School Location
  • Contact info (e.g., name and e-mail address)
  • Number of teams
  • Number of working buzzer systems (should be at least number of teams divided by two)
A discount for $5 per buzzer system is available for any working sets your bring beyond the required number. This discount is applied to your overall amount.

Format:
The GATA format specifies 20 question rounds with associated two-part bonuses. The tossups are worth 10 points each and the the bonuses 20. All the questions are being written in-house and aim to be pyramidal questions similar to the NAQT questions used in GATA competition. Specific rules will be made available later, but they should be quite similar to GATA rules.

The overall format of the tournament itself will depend very much on the number of teams that register, so I am unable to give specifics at this time. However, we will try to maximize the number of rounds played by most teams.

Again, if you have any questions or comments, please direct them to Stephen or me. Hope to see you in Atlanta in October!

Nicholas Bendler
Tournament Director, Georgia Tech Invitational Tournament
[email protected]
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Due to a variety of factors, the tournament will be postponed until the Spring (probably April). My apologies to any of you who were inconvienced.

Also, Matt, I encountered some sort of server error when I attempted to modify the tournament. If it's not a problem, just outright delete it and I'll add it back when we get a new date.
Moderator emeritus
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I'll look into it. Thanks for letting us know.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
mhanna
Lulu

Georgia Tech Tournament

Post by mhanna »

When you first made the tournament announcement, we asked permission to travel to Georgia Tech. Our district requires 60 days notice for overnight and out-of-state travel. Much to my disappointment, that takes FSU and other tournaments off of the table.

I can remember when we actually won a Georgia Tech tournament that was played at Pope High School.

What does all of this mean? Probably nothing.