Alabama '05-'06

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

It sounds like you guys did pretty well, DJ - especially considering that you are an actual school team and not an "All-State/All-Star Team."

Could you expund a little more on the actual gameplay? I've heard there is only one buzzer per team... How does that work? I guess I'm just confused about how a match goes. I can't really wrap my mind around 5 or 6 teams competing at once...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

The buzzers are little plastic boxes with a single button on top that sit in the center of the table. The 4 team members sit around the table and all place a finger on a corner of the buzzer. The team also has two calculators, a periodic table, and a sheet of constants with them. Each of the three rounds has twenty questions worth 5, 10, and 15 points respectively followed by a team question worth double the round values (a worksheet basically). The questions are strictly academic with a focus on math, science, history, and literature with a little bit of fine arts thrown in. When someone on a team buzzes in, anyone on it can say the answer. If it's correct, they gain the point value, and if not they lose that amount of points. Most of the questions are buzzer races or calculation. They also have multiple choice, matching, multipart, and questions that involve a recording, picture, or video. PAC's format is quiz bowl, just radically different from the formats played everywhere else.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Sounds very interesting and confusing. Good job at Panasonic, DJ.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12