2006 NAQT HS NCT Announcement

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kubiwan
Kimahri

2006 NAQT HS NCT Announcement

Post by kubiwan »

Players and Coaches --

NAQT is pleased to announce that the 2006 High School National Championship Tournament will return to Chicago's Crowne Plaza O'Hare on June 2-4, 2006.

Some additional information may be found on our website at:

http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2006/2006-hs-nct-details.html

and more logistical details will be posted as they become available.

-- Chad Kubicek
Chief Financial Officer and Webmaster
National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I'm glad it's going back to Chicago. 'Twas a nice area, and it provides an incontrovertible reason to attend NAQT for schools whose coaches (like mine) insist on going to ASCN each year.
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

Hopefully this coming year's tournament will be as successful as the recent one in Chicago. We'll see.
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Kudos to the folks at NAQT for this very early announcement. It makes planning this year considerably easier.

Although I would have liked to see the HSNCT change sites, we had a lot of fun in Chicago this past June and will enjoy coming back. The cramped hotel rooms used for competition were the only real bummer...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Based on an earlier email, I think that they will continue to use small rooms for many of the matches but at least will spread things out so we don't have so many people crammed into some tight hallways.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Along with the PACE NSC, I full intend on making my coach take us to NAQT nationals this year. I'm glad they made the tournament announcement early this year. I think it may be a good idea to host the tournament in the same city every year however I think there are quite a few convenient cities that are more fun to visit than Chicago.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

As expected, that sunday is graduation day. Hit that bump when we come to it, I guess.

Also, I thought the hotel was good, except the previously mentioned 3rd floor corridor. Those were brutal.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

steven-lamp wrote:I'm glad it's going back to Chicago. 'Twas a nice area, and it provides an incontrovertible reason to attend NAQT for schools whose coaches (like mine) insist on going to ASCN each year.
That assumes there will be an ASCN next May.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

E.T. Chuck wrote:
steven-lamp wrote:I'm glad it's going back to Chicago. 'Twas a nice area, and it provides an incontrovertible reason to attend NAQT for schools whose coaches (like mine) insist on going to ASCN each year.
That assumes there will be an ASCN next May.
True dat. I've graduated already, so I don't really care one way or another, but for some of the folks that are still behind, it'll be a good bargaining tool for going to NAQT. After all, that's the only way I was able to convince our coach to go this past year. Maybe they'll go to a few more NAQT tournaments in the year so they won't have to go play at the HSNCT cold-turkey like we did last year.
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

Trevkeeper wrote:As expected, that sunday is graduation day. Hit that bump when we come to it, I guess.

Also, I thought the hotel was good, except the previously mentioned 3rd floor corridor. Those were brutal.
Indeed those were very cramped which increased the median temperature to a warm and uncomfortable level. Hopefully parents don't take up all the room and the seats. It was a bit of a problem. Some of the coaches and subs didn't have room, but parents kept on piling into the room.
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

Trevkeeper wrote:As expected, that sunday is graduation day. Hit that bump when we come to it, I guess
same here...but 3 of us (seniors) have already decided to skip... :grin:
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

You guys have graduation on a Sunday??? That's unusual. We always have graduation on a week night about 2-3 weeks before the last "official" day of school. Seniors always get out a couple of weeks before everyone else.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

It's always on a Sunday, except for some reason it wasn't last year. It's back to Sundays, I guess.

Also, the seniors do get about 2-3 weeks off more than everyone else. There's about 10 days' time from when senior last attend school and when they graduate. Then, there's another week or so after they graduate until everyone else gets let out.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

well, ours is on saturday, but i think we have to miss one or the other anyway
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Perhaps we are living in completely different worlds, but I'm fairly certain that if I told our principal that graduation was the same day as a major academic national championship that our students had qualified to participate in, then he would probably see about changing the graduation date to accomodate those exceptional students.

Of course, our graduation is always in mid-May and on a weeknight, so it should never be an issue for us...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

We are in different worlds. Our graduating class is over 1000 students. If I told an administrator that three kids were going to miss it, he probably would shrug his shoulders.
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

our principal/president (whatever he is called) knows (and has know for three or four years now) and we only have 250 in our graduating class, so i dont know what his excuse is. we always go to NAC though, so maybe he doesnt see it necessary to go to two?
UGAQuizdogs
Lulu

Post by UGAQuizdogs »

Steven-LAMP wrote:

"Maybe they'll go to a few more NAQT tournaments in the year so they won't have to go play at the HSNCT cold-turkey like we did last year."

I know this is a bit off topic, but UGA is hosting a couple of NAQT HS events*. If you want, contact me at [email protected], and I'll email your coach over at LAMP.

*JV Tournament Nov 5
*HS Bulldog Brawl Jan 21, 2006

Robin
UGA CBAT
samer
Lulu

Post by samer »

quizbowllee wrote:You guys have graduation on a Sunday??? That's unusual. We always have graduation on a week night about 2-3 weeks before the last "official" day of school. Seniors always get out a couple of weeks before everyone else.
As opposed to HS in CT, where, if you get socked by storms as we did my senior year, you can graduate on June 24 (which was the same day everyone else finished), and that year, was a Friday.
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor
MollyBlum
Lulu

Post by MollyBlum »

We were in the same boat as a lot of other teams as far as the ASCN/graduation conundrum goes. Last year, we had a conflict and our two seniors, one of whom was valedictorian last year, really couldn't miss (their graduation class was only about 100), so we ended up only going to NAQT last year. It's looking like that again this year, even though I am the only senior, since I will probably be speaking. Oh well, our graduation date is not set yet, so perhaps it won't be a problem.
mf_2
Lulu

Post by mf_2 »

I just looked up the regular prices of the Crowne Plaza Hotel rooms. It's like $360 per night. If I'm staying 3 nights ( til Monday morning ), I would pay over $1,000 :shock:
Are there cheap hotels/motels/inns around O'Hare that you can recommend staying at?
I looked at another Crowne Plaza which just opened this summer. It's called the Crowne Plaza Metro and is still pretty close to the airport. There, it's like $188 a night, so it's 50% cheaper but that's still somewhat expensive....
Any suggestions?

EDIT: I probably don't need to stay until Monday, I found a flight late on Sunday which allows me to check out on Sunday at noon.
Maximilian Franck, former player of Brindlee Mountain High School (2004-05) quizbowl
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Max, if we make it to Chicago this year... And I think we will, we'll let you stay with us in one of our rooms.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
mf_2
Lulu

Post by mf_2 »

Cool, thank you!
That helps a lot!!!
Let's hope that you will qualify.

Now I only have to get the money for the plane ticket ( I already have half of it and I'll probably have all of it at the end of October ) and I have to tell my parents about it :lol: . And that's the difficult part. I hope they'll let me go ...
They probably will as we have two weeks of holidays in Germany starting that weekend,so I won't miss any schooldays except Friday, June 2nd.
But then they don't like the idea of spending a whole lot on a plane ticket for a two-day trip. But we'll see, maybe they changed their minds .....
Maximilian Franck, former player of Brindlee Mountain High School (2004-05) quizbowl
mf_2
Lulu

Post by mf_2 »

There's one strange thing that I noticed: If I take a round-trip from June 2th through June 4th from MUC ( Munich ) to ORD ( Chicago O'Hare ) and back, it costs about 512€ ( $550 ). However, if I want a one-way ticket from MUC to ORD, it costs from $1,600 ( Lufthansa ) to $2,100 ( Delta ). Why is a one-way ticket more expensive than a round-trip ticket? Does anybody know?
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

I am trying to get hold of the NAQT head honchos, Robert and/or Chad. I have had no response from my email to the NAQT address on their website and the email I sent to Robert's address (topquark) came back.
Can any body help me here?
Thanks,
Michael Harvey
American Community School
Abu Dhabi, UAE
[email protected]
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Max more than like due to the fact that most people try to get a round trip

How are things going.. btw, its Mr D.. glad to see you are still keeping up with Lee and the guys..
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Try rhentzel at gmail dot com for R.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!