South Carolina 2017-18

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
thomasgnd
Lulu

South Carolina 2017-18

Post by thomasgnd »

Greetings, folks!

We want to build a robust quizbowl schedule for teams from the state of South Carolina for the coming year. Please message me at [email protected] with questions/concerns and/or requests to have your event added.

The more tournaments we have in the state, the better, so consider running an event. If you need help knowing how to get started, who to contact for questions, etc., email me. We want you in the rotation. Tournaments taking place in South Carolina are in blue, with the exception of the NAQT state championship, whose date and location is TBD, which is listed in red.

I have also included a few out-of-state events that may be of particular interest to SC teams. Each event that falls in this category indicates the state in which it will occur and is listed in green.

It's going to be a fantastic year in 2017-18!

Sep 30: University of South Carolina Tournament(Columbia; NAQT IS-167A; contact Eric Douglass, [email protected])
Oct 14: Dorman Fall Tournament (Spartanburg; SCOP Novice 8; contact Cyrenna Moreno, [email protected])

Oct 21: Bonfire of the Manatees at Raleigh Charter (NC) (Raleigh NC; NAQT IS-170; contact Betsy Newmark, [email protected])
Nov 11: Cavalier Classic XX at UVA (VA) (Charlottesville VA; NAQT IS-170; contact Eric Xu, [email protected])
Dec 02: Hoover (AL) Invitational (Hoover AL; only Southern mirror of Harvard Fall Tournament; contact Joshua Rutsky, [email protected])
Dec 16: JV/Novice Commerce CLAUSE at Commerce (GA) (Commerce GA; NAQT-IS171A; contact Robin Richards, [email protected])

Jan 13: Dorman Cavalier Challenge (Spartanburg; housewrite; contact Cyrenna Moreno, [email protected])
Feb 17: Southside Tiger Invitational (Greenville; NAQT IS-172; contact Brian Corbett, [email protected])

March TBA: NAQT State Championship (location TBD)
Apr 21: Dorman Season Ender (Spartanburg; NAQT IS-175A (MS-26 for middle-school teams); contact Cyrenna Moreno, [email protected])
May 01: Early College at Guilford (NC) Pre-Nationals Invitational (Greensboro NC; NAQT ICT-18; contact Paul Smith, [email protected])

other possibilities:
Clemson event (date and questions TBD; contact Palmer Smith, [email protected]);
Wofford event (TBD; contact Lee Holden, [email protected])
Last edited by thomasgnd on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am, edited 12 times in total.
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Head Quizbowl Coach, Heathwood Hall
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Re: South Carolina 2017-18

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

As always, we welcome teams from SC to participate in the Hoover Invitational on December 2, 2017! See my post in the Regular Season Tournament section for details.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Thanks for doing this thread, coach. USC is thinking of doing September 30th as the date for a fall tournament with NAQT questions. Please post here or message me if you have other ideas. I'd like to get the announcement out in the next week or 2.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
bcorbett
Lulu

Post by bcorbett »

Southside is looking to do a Harvard mirror in the fall (mid-November likely).
Brian Corbett, PhD
Southside High Greenville, SC
[email protected]
CommerceGAQuizcats
Lulu

Post by CommerceGAQuizcats »

The email for the JVN Commerce CLAUSE is now [email protected]. Make sure to make the change ASAP. Thanks!

ADD ON: Also the date may have to change because we are hosting SATs that day. I'll make an official change/no change very soon.
Commerce HS Academic Team
Commerce, Georgia
Robin J. Richards, Coach (GATA/NHBB)
https://sites.google.com/view/commerceq ... authuser=0
Jcrmoon42
Lulu

Post by Jcrmoon42 »

NHBB is hoping to have a SC tournament or two this year but don't have a host yet.

For western teams, you may be interested in our January 15 (MLK Day) tournament just across the border north of Augusta at Greenbrier High
Jason Russell
IAC - Director of Operations, Middle School & Elementary Divisions
[email protected]
Jcrmoon42
Lulu

Post by Jcrmoon42 »

South Carolina NHBB tournament on February 10 at North Greenville University
Jason Russell
[email protected]
Jcrmoon42
Lulu

Post by Jcrmoon42 »

Jcrmoon42 wrote:South Carolina NHBB tournament on February 10 at North Greenville University
Registration available on this page
Jason Russell
[email protected]