Tippecanoe Academic Challenge X - November 5th, 2005

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jrbellas
Lulu

Tippecanoe Academic Challenge X - November 5th, 2005

Post by jrbellas »

Tippecanoe High School is pleased to announce the Tenth annual TAC on November 5th, 2005. We are using NAQT set IS 53-A. Since we are purchasing exclusivity only for Ohio, please be aware of this when planning to register for this tournament. The cost will be $60 for the first team, and $40 for the second (and any additional teams).

Format will be 10 tossups per half, (20 tossups in a full round) and bounceback bonuses. All teams will be guaranteed 7 games with a single elimination playoff round in the afternoon. At least two teams will qualify for the NAQT championship in June 2006, possibly as many as four.

Make checks payable to Tippecanoe High School, and they may be sent to:

Joe Bellas
Academic Quiz Team Advisor
Tippecanoe High School
615 E. Kessler-Cowlesville Road
Tipp City, Ohio 45371

You may either send all registration information for the tournament (School name, team roster, coaches’ name, address, phone, email, fax, and fees owed) to the above address, or you may register by email to jrbellas<at>tippcity<dot>k12<dot>oh<dot>us. Please respond as soon as possible, since we are capping tournament size at 40 teams (not schools). For schools not familiar where we are located, Tipp City is just north of Dayton, Ohio, and sits directly next to Interstate 75. A number of hotels are available in both Tipp and Troy for those teams staying overnight. I will be sending out another letter with more information to those teams who register by October 14th.

THERE WILL BE NO SEPARATE JV TOURNAMENT! “Bâ€
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Here is the updated field for the TAC X. Unless otherwise noted, all teams are from Ohio.

Officially Registered:
Columbus Academy (2)
Yellow Springs (2)
Sidney (2)
Greenville (2)
Miami East (2)
Defiance (2)
St. Charles (5)
Fisher Catholic (2)
St. Marys (2)
Russia (1)
White Cloud, MI (1)
Arcanum (2)
Vandalia Butler (2)
Findlay (3)
Clark Shawnee (2)
Troy (2)
Oakwood (1)
Springfield North (1)
Northwestern (2)

That's 38 teams. I have received interest from Stivers HS, and had informal discussions with two other schools. Since the registration cutoff is 40, I will not take any more registrations once we reach that point. I will put you on a waiting list, but I urge anyone interested in coming to register posthaste!

Joe Bellas
Director, Tippecanoe Academic Challenge X, November 5th, 2005
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

The eight playoff teams were Detroit Catholic Central A, Fisher Catholic, Walnut Hills, Central Hardin A, Columbus Academy A, Columbus Academy B, White Cloud, and St. Charles C.

DCC, Fisher, Walnut Hills and Central Hardin all advanced to the Semifinals (in all cases they were the higher seed).

Although DCC beat Central Hardin easily, there was a slight upset when Fisher lost to Walnut Hills. The match was very close and turned on one tossup.

DCC handled Walnut Hills easily in the finals, winning 635-310. There were no dropped tossups and only one bonus that was not completely answered in the final match. Nearly half of the tossups in the finals were powered by one of the two schools. DCC was not seriously tested by any of the teams in the field, and Joel Knight was the top point scorer by a wide margin. Walnut Hills was missing two of its varsity players and had never played NAQT prior to this tournament, which makes their run through the tournament even more impressive.

All of the teams played well on the questions - There were many compliments for NAQT on the difficulty level.

Congratulations to everyone who competed, and I hope to see you all next year!