University of South Carolina Fall Tournament (November 10th)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

University of South Carolina Fall Tournament (November 10th)

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The Academic Team at the University of South Carolina is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the 2018 USC Fall Tournament on November 10th. I will be the tournament director. Further details are below. I will be in contact with all teams prior to the tournament and am happy to answer any questions regarding this event. Please e-mail me at [email protected] to register or if you have any questions.

We will be using NAQT questions (178A set). I note that the Horry County district is using 178A for their league, so we will not be able to invite teams from that county who are playing in that league.

How to Register

E-mail me at [email protected] with the following information:

1. How many teams you wish to register.
2. How many buzzer systems you can bring.
3. How many staffers you plan to bring.

I will respond to your registrations to send you confirmation of your registration.

The tournament will be held in the Darla Moore School of Business. 1014 Greene St, Columbia, SC 29208

Teams will convene in room 134. Registration will go from 8:00 to 8:45, we will have an introductory meeting at 8:45 in room 134, and play will begin at 9 AM.

Parking-wise, there are a large number of metered parking spaces within an easy walking distance from the building. This is especially true for Main Street, Assembly Street in front of the Koger Center for the Arts and the USC School of Music, and Park Street behind the School of Public Health and School of Music. Another good place to park are the meters on Devine Street between the old School of Law and Courtyard by Marriott, which are head-in spaces. The following map shows this: The person icon is the Darla Moore School of Business (tournament site). The green line shows places where you can get parallel parking and the purple line shows head-in parking on Devine Street. Map Link

Food:

We will be providing limited amounts of milk, juice, and doughnuts, first come, first served. We will not be providing lunch. There are a number of eateries near the Darla Moore School of Business and we will provide a list of places to eat to the teams.

Anyone staffing the tournament can eat pizza with the rest of the staff or receive a lunch voucher.

Team size and Rosters:

There can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team, and so on for any schools with larger numbers of players.

Within 24 hours of the tournament, it would be greatly appreciated if teams could provide a roster of players on their teams. This will greatly speed up statkeeping.

Awards:

We will award trophies to the top 3 overall teams.

While we will not also have a separate JV division, we will designate the team that includes no players older than 10th grade as JV and will award a trophy to the top overall JV team.

We will recognize the top individual scorers with trophies and book prizes.

Fees:

$50 per team base fee
-$10 discount per buzzer system
-$20 per staffer (Reader/Scorekeeper)
-$10 multiple team discount
Minimum fee of $20/team

Irmo
Aiken
Porter-Gaud (2 teams)
Governor's School for Science and Mathematics (2 teams)
Thomas Jefferson Classical (3 teams)
Dutch Fork (2 teams)
Mauldin
Southside (4 teams)
Heathwood Hall (2 teams)
Dorman (3 teams)
James Island
Spring Valley (4 teams)
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Auron

Re: University of South Carolina Fall Tournament (November 10th)

I'd like to thank all of the teams who have registered and/or expressed interest for this tournament. I am going to tentatively cap the field at 24 teams due to staff and room constraints. However, I will work to expand the field size if I can get more staff to commit to the event and get a few more rooms. In the meantime, we have room for one more team. After that, I will place teams on a waiting list pending possible field expansion and teams dropping out. Thanks again for the extraordinary response to this event!
Eric D.
Auron

26 teams competed in the 2018 USC Fall Tournament. Congratulations to Spring Valley for winning an advantaged final to claim the tournament championship. Congratulations also to Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy for finishing second in an incredibly competitive showing, and congratulations to the JV champions Southside B. The South Carolina Governor's School for Science and Mathematics A team finished 3rd.

Isak Jatoi of Spring Valley finished 1st overall in scoring, followed by Charlie Weaver of Dorman A, Rajat Sethi of Governor's School A, Andrew Bettencourt of Dorman B, and Jonathan Shauf of Thomas Jefferson A. Andrew Bettencourt was the top scoring JV player.

Statistics are located here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5243/

I hope the teams and coaches enjoyed the event. It's the most competitive, hard-fought tournament I can remember directing. Thanks to NAQT for the question set. Special thanks to all of our staff: Meagan Downing and Christopher Greenwell from Porter-Gaud; Cyrenna Moreno and Brian Owen from Dorman; John Huylu, Alyssa Campanelli, Louis Tedeschi, Atifah Jatoi, Ren Steneman, and Stella Masucci from The Academic Team at USC; and friends of the team/alums Robert Earle Lawson, Nick Klusserath, Dr. Rassalov, Patrick Cleary, Marjorie Palmer-Cleary, Torrie and Sharon, Chris King, Ben Ingram, and Bryn Douglass.

We look forward to hosting another high school event soon.
Eric D.
The Blind Prophet
Lulu

Post by The Blind Prophet »

Thank you to the TDs for running this tournament. It was a great experience for me and my team.
Jonathan Shauf
TJ Classical 2020
UNC Chapel Hill 2024