Johns Hopkins Winter Quizbowl Tournament (HFT XIII) - 2.2.19

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
anastasia84
Lulu

Johns Hopkins Winter Quizbowl Tournament (HFT XIII) - 2.2.19

Post by anastasia84 »

Johns Hopkins University is pleased to announce the Johns Hopkins Winter Quizbowl Tournament, which will take place on February 2, 2019. [Please note: the date has been changed back to the original 2/2/19.]

The tournament will take place at Johns Hopkins University, located at 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. A map of campus can be found here: http://cis.jhu.edu/images/campus_map_0907.pdf. Parking is available at the South Garage, at a flat rate of $9 for the day.
Check-in will take place in Maryland Hall Room 110, starting at 8 AM.

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $70 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Staffing: -$10 per competent staffer (limit one per team)

Minimum of $55 per team after discounts are applied.
Payment must be made on the day of the tournament either by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "Johns Hopkins University."

Question Set:
We will be using HFT XIII (regular-plus difficulty). More information concerning the set can be found here.

Food:
Pizza will be sold near lunch time, and various restaurants may be found in the vicinity of campus. To see a full list, please visit http://web.jhu.edu/cogsci/visitors/restaurants.html.

Team and Roster Size:
There is a maximum of 6 players on a team; up to four members may play at once. We recommend no more than four members on a team, so that students may play the maximum number of rounds.

Team Limit:
Until one week prior to the registration deadline (January 19), only three teams from a school may register. Subsequent teams (up to an additional two, for five total) from the same school will be placed on the wait list. Following January 19, two additional teams from that school on the wait list will be moved off of the wait list and registered (assuming that there are spots still open).

To register, please fill out the following form (https://goo.gl/forms/ZybnJQaIPzbLpOiK2) by January 26. The field will initially be capped at 18 teams.

Timeline:
Here are some important dates:
January 19, 2019: Multiple team deadline (see above)
January 26, 2019: Registration deadline
January 31, 2019: Roster deadline
February 2, 2019: Tournament day

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Last edited by anastasia84 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Audrey Chang
Johns Hopkins University '19
anastasia84
Lulu

Re: Johns Hopkins Winter Quizbowl Tournament (HFT XIII) - 2.2.19

Post by anastasia84 »

Current Field
School: # of Teams/Buzzers/Staffers
Monticello: 4/5/0
Richard Montgomery: 1/3/0
Gunston: 2/1/2
Wilmington Charter: 1/3/0
Manheim Township: 3/0/0
Calvert Hall: 2/0/1
Georgetown Day School: 1/0/0
Arundel High School: 1/0/0
Montgomery Blair: 3/2/0
Winston Churchill: 1/1/0
Severn: 1/1/0
BASIS McLean: 1/1/0
George Washington Carver: 1/1/1
Total: 22/18/4

Multiple Team Waitlist
Monticello: 1
Last edited by anastasia84 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Audrey Chang
anastasia84
Lulu

Post by anastasia84 »

Please note that the finalized date for this tournament will be February 2nd, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience!
Audrey Chang
anastasia84
Lulu

Post by anastasia84 »

Our team cap of 18 has been reached - however, if we have enough interest, we are willing to expand the field to 24, so please don't hesitate to sign up if you're interested!
Audrey Chang
anastasia84
Lulu

Post by anastasia84 »

The field has been expanded to 24 teams.
Audrey Chang
anastasia84
Lulu

Post by anastasia84 »

I'm very sorry to announce that this morning, the university cancelled our Winter tournament (scheduled to take place this Saturday) due to concerns over the safety of minors. My team and I have been working tirelessly all day to sort this out, but the university will not budge.

We understand that this is extremely short notice, and we greatly appreciate all of the coaches, students, and parents who have been working and communicating with us over the past few weeks (shoutout to the teams who had already sent me rosters - you guys are great!).

We do hope to reschedule our Winter tournament to the earliest date possible (depending on what the university says). If you plan to attend our rescheduled tournament or a future tournament at JHU, we will offer a 50% discount on team fees.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and the late notice. I know many of you were excited to attend this Saturday (I myself was very excited to host - it would have been my last tournament before I graduate!). We hope that we will see you soon at a future JHU tournament.

Please feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] with any questions/comments/concerns.
Audrey Chang
Jasconius
Lulu

Post by Jasconius »

Has a rescheduled date been decided on for this tournament?
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20
Yale University '25
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

Bump. We were emailed that the tournament would be next week (2/23) but time is getting tight, is it actually going to be then (or some other confirmed date)?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
anastasia84
Lulu

Post by anastasia84 »

I just wanted to update all of you on what's happening with our Winter Tournament. Unfortunately, we've been struggling to sort out this event with the university, and I doubt that we can hold the tournament within the next few weeks. Therefore, I am sorry to announce that we will have to cancel the Winter Tournament. We are currently working on restructuring our tournaments and preventing this from occurring in the future.

I understand that many of you were hoping to attend a reschedule, and I sincerely apologize for what's happened with this tournament. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions/comments/concerns.
Audrey Chang