St. Louis area high school discussion thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

St. Louis area high school discussion thread

Post by Matt Weiner »

This is the omnibus thread for discussing the St. Louis area high school circuit. Please do not start three threads a day on it.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Der Kommissar
Lulu

Post by Der Kommissar »

I'm from FHC
2ND PLACE CHAMPIONS FHC SPARTANS
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Der Kommissar wrote:I'm from FHC
Yes, we know that. Perhaps you could tell us about quizbowl in your neck of the woods.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

What does FHC stand for? What comps do you attend? Do you love :chip: ? :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
hhssteve
Lulu

Post by hhssteve »

E.T. Chuck wrote:What does FHC stand for? What comps do you attend? Do you love :chip: ? :cool:
who doesn't love chip? :wink:
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

My roommate last year in HS is from St. Louis and went to Marquette, and evidentally tried out quizbowl there very briefly. He said that it was for nerds, and that I would have probably "kicked [their] asses in high school", suggesting to me that Marquette wasn't exactly a powerhouse.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Der Kommissar
Lulu

Post by Der Kommissar »

the STL area, has some good schools.

BTW: FHC stands for Francis Howell Central

One of the best players in the area, is Peter Creedon. He usually always gets a medal for the top ten.

I was there at a Marquette Game, and they suck....terribly.

Parkway Central: A lot of oriental people on that team, they always take the #1 Spot on the 2 Saints circuit.

FHHS: has perhaps the worst team IMHO.

FHNHS: they dropped their team, its gone.

I'll reply later.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

As a rule, do try to avoid abbreviating names of schools in your posts, since most of us aren't familiar with the St. Louis circuit. Is the MO Thomas Jefferson from St. Louis?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

Is this only for the Missouri side of St.Louis?
James Sanner
UIUC Academic Buzzer Team
Secretary of Minivan Operations
Der Kommissar
Lulu

Post by Der Kommissar »

Yes, but if you would also like the Metro East.
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

Our team is really about 70 miles outside what you would call metro east- but we do on occasion play teams from there.
James Sanner
UIUC Academic Buzzer Team
Secretary of Minivan Operations
DavidH
Lulu

Post by DavidH »

Ok I'm from the northwest part of the state, but our team has played alot of east side Missouri teams from the St. Louis area. Here is a rundown.

1. Ladue Horton Watkins --- the richest public school district in Missouri has a couple of really good players led by Jason Wu, a math/science phenom with a good base in literature as well.
2. Westminster Christian Academy --- they have been very good in years past and probably still are under Andrew Hoekzema.
3. Parkway Central --- unlike what was said above, they are having an unfortunate falling-out this year after the loss of their captain, Jimmy Li.
4. Francis Howell --- They are perennially good.
5. John Burroughs --- A new team that has a lot of knowledge. With half a year of practice left they might be really good.

This is a pretty good list of the competitive teams from that part of the state (I think). One might argue for Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau) or Ste. Genevieve, but I don't know anything about them this year.

Also, the Thomas Jefferson team from Missouri is actually Thomas Jefferson Independent, a tiny private high school near Joplin Missouri. They dominate class 1 quiz bowl in Missouri. Their team captain was on the Missouri Panasonic team last year.
Der Kommissar
Lulu

Post by Der Kommissar »

Li died? or did he graduate
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Graduated. He rocked the house at WUHSAC '05 (105 PPG) and was on Teen Jeopardy if I remember correctly.

By the way, any of you schools in the STL area are welcome to come to WUHSAC 8 at Washington University in St. Louis on January 28, 2006. Email pinyan AT gmail DOT com for more information.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

That's Wash U's NAQT tournament, right?
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

It's not NAQT--it is house-written. It is the one that New Trier is going to.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
JWu
Kimahri

Post by JWu »

Hey David. I'm surprised to meet someone on this website that I've actually seen before. (My post probably already screams "newbie") Anyways, St. Louis is a pretty live area right now (especially since Jimmy Li has graduated and left a power void in our division. Btw, he's now at Northwestern's 7-year med program, and he's still a stud.) Digressions aside, an addenda to what David has already clarified about St. Louis:

1. Priory has been very strong in past years, although I think their captain also graduated.
2. Eureka was a powerhouse last year, but lost both Arthur Lei and Dan Marion.
3. Parkway Central has consistently done well, and they'll probably rebound after a rebuilding year or two after the loss of Jimmy.
4. Westminster- probably the best team in St. Louis right now. George Thampy (National Spelling Bee Champion) graduated, but Andrew Hoekzema is a senior this year and the team is very balanced.
5. Burroughs is getting a lot better. David's right, in that they're still a bit on the formative side, but they have a very powerful base to draw on.
6. Visitation is pretty good, although I don't think they go to many tournaments.
7. Ladue (my school) is still pretty young; this is our third year of existence. We have some very enthusiastic freshmen and decent depth. Hopefully MSHSAA will work better this year for us.

P.S. Jon Pinyan, we're interested in going to your tournament (I sent you an email). Incidentally, I noticed that you were on Wash U's Putnam team. Did you go to AAST originally?
Ladue Horton Watkins HS, Class of '06
jcarkeys
Kimahri

Post by jcarkeys »

I'm Clark from Westminster.

I agree with everything that Dave said.

We're also looking forward to WUHSAC, our favourite tournament of the year.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I noticed that Missouri did not have an NAQT State Qualifier last year. If that's still the case, Missouri teams are welcome to sign up for my NAQT Illinois Qualifier on February 25. Send an email to [email protected] if you're interested. Invitatons will be mailed out around February 1.
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Just for anyone who is interested:

Here are the results from the high school tournament last Saturday at Missouri-Rolla, which had 28 teams from all parts of the state.

Large school division:

1. N. Kansas City (The final was 445 to 260, I think. I should know--I read that round!)
2. Helias (Jefferson City)
3. Poplar Bluff
4. McCluer North (north St. Louis County)

Small school division:

1. Thomas Jefferson (Joplin)
2. Sullivan (the final was very close, 40 point difference I think.)
3. Cuba
4. Pilot Grove
Paul Nelson
Cuba (MO) High School ('98)
B.A.--Missouri S&T/UMR ('02)
NAQT writer/Missouri organizer (2004-'10)
President emeritus, Missouri Quizbowl Alliance
Working western New York tournaments ('13-?)