Who's gonna win?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Who's gonna win?

Post by quizbowllee »

I thought I'd start a new thread focusing entirely on predicting the winners of NAQT and PACE.

In one of the other threads, someone mentioned the "Big 6" contenders this year: TJ, MLW, Raleigh Charter, DCC, State College, and Richard Montgomery. Unlike last year (and arguably the year before), no one team is a sure thing, and the rest of us don't necessarily have to be playng for 2nd.

Unfortunately, I have not had the honor of seeing any of these "Big 6" play this year, but I've watched stats come in on the boards and they have all been impressive. However, I think that my pick this year to win NAQT Nats is Richard Montgomery. Their domination in the Maryland tournament - against some GREAT teams - was astounding. They're gonna be hard to beat.

I predict that the top 10 will be:

1) Richard Montgomery
2) Maggie Walker A
3) TJ A
4) State College A

After that, I think that the following teams will fall randomly from 5-10:

Dunbar, Brookwood, Maggie Walker B, Lakeside (maybe), Danville, Brindlee Mountain.

OK - I stuck Brindlee Mountian on there... I know, I know... But, I think they have a legitimate shot at reaching the top 10. Last year, they went 5-5 with a few VERY close ones, and 3 of our 4 starters from last year are back, and have gotten much, much better. With some luck, they're gonna do well. I don't think they're gonna win by any means, but I think we might go far into the playoffs. I also predict Brindlee Mountain and Danville to battle it out for the small schools title.

Also, I left off a couple of the "Big 6" mentioned above for the simple reason that they are not yet confirmed for NAQT. Raleigh Charter is going to PACE instead of NAQT. We haven't heard either way from DCC, I don't think. I also didn't mention Walton for the same reason. I know they're going to PACE, but they aren't on the NAQT list yet.

As for PACE, I'll have to wait and see how the field grows. It looks like it's going to be a very tough - though admittedly very small - field.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

Picking Richard Montgomery is interesting; especially since they aren't confirmed in the field yet(and you post a disclaimer about why you didn't pick other teams who aren't in the field)...

Also, as of today, DCC is confirmed in the field.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

jagluski wrote:Picking Richard Montgomery is interesting; especially since they aren't confirmed in the field yet(and you post a disclaimer about why you didn't pick other teams who aren't in the field)...

Also, as of today, DCC is confirmed in the field.
That is interesting... And I don't know why I didn't notice that.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I don't mean to shoot down anyone's guesses, but I see something slightly different:
1MLWGSA
2RM(Assuming they attend)
3TJA
4State College
5Walton

Next Set
Maggie Walker B, Dorman, Walter Johnson(I think they are attending), DCC, and Mission(?)
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I've seen all of the "Big 6" in action at one point or another. Unfortunately, my experience with teams beyond the VA/MD/DC/NC region is somewhat limited. However, my team did play Brindlee Mountain A last year at PACE. They were pretty impressive for a mostly freshman team.

I do have some views on the Big 6 though:

If you asked me at the beginning of the year, I'd say that RichMo would win nationals hands down. They were utterly dominant at TJ's NAQT tournament. I don't remember the score of the finals where they played Raleigh Charter, but I do recall that it was one-sided. However, as the year has gone on, they've had their share of losses. I believe they were defeated by both TJ and Raleigh Charter at Maggie Walker's tournament, though they did come back to win the tournament. They were defeated by Maggie Walker at Gonzaga, and by State College at TJ's second tournament. It was at Walter Johnson I think where other teams really caught up and they started realizing it. Matches were very close. TJ defeated MW by 15 or so in the semis, then lost to RM in the finals by 60. As far as I know, they have yet to lose an NAQT tournament this year, though Walter Johnson showed that their dominance on the format was not as prevalent.

Raleigh Charter has shown throughout the year that they too are capable of greatness, taking second to RM at TJ's first tournament and MW's tournament. However, they have had their bad days as well. I would not rule them out, but I think the rest of the "6" may have a slight edge. They have won against TJ, RM, and MW on different occasions.

State College as always has excellent capabilities. They defeated RM in the finals at TJ's second tourney, also defeated by RM earlier in the day. Though they've only hiked up to the MD/VA region twice or so this year, they did manage to win a tournament where 4 of the remaining 5 others were competing.

Next, I'll jump to DCC. Though they, like State College, suffered an early playoff loss at TJ's NAQT tournament, DCC was able to come over again for UVA's Cavalier Open, where they dealt defeats to TJ and MW. MW was later able to avenge their loss, defeating DCC twice (with a close second match) to eventually win the tournament. Joel also has his share of individual prizes, easily among the top 3 or 4 players in the nation. Though DCC, to my knowledge, has not defeated RM, they do have a fighting chance.

Ah, to TJ. They have consistently proven that, even without their starters, they have excellent depth. At this past weekend's tournament at UVA, they were missing 1 or 2 starters and were still able to secure a strong second place against a dominant MW team. They've defeated RM, MW, Raleigh Charter, you name it.

Last but not least, MW. The 3/4 junior team has shown they can battle with the best even when the odds are stacked against them. They have defeated TJ and RM, as well as DCC in the two game final at UVA. At this weekend's UVA competition, the three juniors without the usual senior Xun went undefeated, winning the tournament in an impressive fashion. I would not rule them out of winning nationals by any means. They are good pressure players, able to come back under the most tense conditions.

We will have to see how these teams fare against one another at Nationals. I don't think there's any way to place one as winning over another right now. It's all in the luck of the questions. I would however agree with quizbowllee in putting RM, TJ, State College, and MW in the top 4, in some order, for nationals. I'd be very impressed if anyone would be able to crack this talented group, though I don't doubt that it could happen.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

It is fun to speculate, but this year is the most wide-open in my 8 years of association with this activity. It is flattering for your team to be considered in the top 4, but remember what happened to the top 4 seeds in the NCAA tournament this year. Whoever wins will have to get a few breaks and have a little luck. They will need to be playing at the top of their game, especially on Sunday. Sure, they will need to be a solid team like the ones mentioned, but I suspect there are many teams with the credentials to pull it off. I predict that another team or teams will crack the top four. There likely will be a George Mason out there, or like Lakeside last year, another team that stealthily flies in under everyone's radar.
Last edited by jbarnes112358 on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

My predictions:
1- RMA
2- Gov A
3- State College
4- TJA
5- DCC
6-10:
Walton, Brookwood, Dunbar, Blair, and don't forget about RMB (who went into the playoffs at TJII seeded second and was 4th at WJ).

From personal experience of playing all of the top four I think RMA has the best chance to win at NAQT. It favors their strengths and I don't think they have lost an NAQT game all year. But I think there will be different champions at NAQT and PACE this year. There is a level of parity in quizbowl this year there hasn't been for a while and that right now makes it anybody's game.
Last edited by Magister Ludi on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

Based on my experiences from this year:
1.State College
2.RM
3.DCC
4.TJ A
5.Some Dark Horse Team
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

My Prediction:
1. RM (won every NAQT tournament they've been to and they're still tweeking their lineup which now includes a freshman that got 3 powers against my team in one game)
2. Gov (a close second that seems to be rapidly improving, possibly overtaking RM at nats, but not if Chris and RM and can help it)
3. State College (they won't be in the top 5 at NAQT because they won't have Ylaine, other than that they're a great team)
4. Raleigh Charter (only at PACE)
5. TJ
6. DCC (they looked bad the one time I saw them but they seemed to have picked up the pace)
I've played 4 of these 6 and seen all at least once.

Honorable mentions that seem impossible to rank:
Walton
Brookwood
Dunbar
Gov B
Someone From Illinois
Santa Monica
Milburn
Charter School of Wilmington
Blair (local bias?)
Walter Johnson (local bias?)
Richard Montgomery B (local bias?)
Gonzaga (local bias?)
Whitman (local bias?)
brownboy79 wrote:Next Set
Maggie Walker B, Dorman, Walter Johnson(I think they are attending), DCC, and Mission(?)
I'm not sure if we belong here yet, we did lose to Gov B at our first tourny of the year (with help from my 4 negs). We beat them at UVA but i'm pretty sure that was really their C team. Dorman seems weaker than Dunbar, Brookwood and especially Walton; we finished ahead of them at Yale.
Magister Ludi wrote:Walton, Brookwood, Dunbar, Blair, and don't forget about RMB (who went into the playoffs at TJII seeded second and was 4th at WJ).
Seems pretty fair except we're 1-0 against Blair and 2-0 against RM B. Blair won't be at NAQT and I question the commitment of many of their players.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Alex,

Is WJ going to NAQT and/or PACE? I noticed that you're not on the current list for either.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

We'll be signing up for NAQT HS NCT soon. We'll decide about going to PACE on April 30 when we find out about funding.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

We beat them at UVA but i'm pretty sure that was really their C team
Indeed it was the C team that you beat. B has been very solid this year though. The starting team has not gotten worse than 5th or 6th at any tournament they've been to. Walter Johnson has been able to hold their own against some very good teams. I think they'll be able to place in the top 16 at least, assuming their negging ability doesn't hold them back.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

tachyonwill wrote:Based on my experiences from this year:
1.State College
2.RM
3.DCC
4.TJ A
5.Some Dark Horse Team
If humility is a virtue, then you should be canonized :lol: I'm gonna say we'll finish 3rd at NAQT and win PACE just because of this ridiculous pattern we've been in all year. The finishes of our top team (which was the B team at one tournament, TJ's January one), excluding the Battle of the Brains TV tourney, have been as follows:
3rd [EDIT - yea I screwed this one up]
2nd (UVA tournament with weird Gov and TJ lineups)
3rd (B team)
1st
3rd (VHSL States, won Regionals and Districts but its all the same tourney)
1st
3rd
1st (this past weekend at NAQT States)

So following this first-third pattern which only had an exception at a tourney where we had weird lineups for all our teams, we should go 3rd at UMD and win RM's tournament, then 3rd and 1st at nationals (hopefully the Quizbowl Gods won't make us count Panasonic in the equation). Yay for predicting results on totally anomolous and inexplicable patterns!!!!!! Hey, with a phenomenon like that and the field as wide open as it is this year (though with not quite as much parity as the ncaa mens tourney I'd say), it's as good a method of prediction as anything.

As for dark horses and upsets, I mentioned this in the thread Dr. Chuck started, but I think the strengths of a lot of the NJ, NY, and non-State College PA teams, and Wilmington Charter, are rather unknown b/c they haven't had many opportunities to play the full lineups of many DC area teams or other teams we already know are good from State College and Ohio etc.
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Lapego1 wrote:
We beat them at UVA but i'm pretty sure that was really their C team
Indeed it was the C team that you beat. B has been very solid this year though. The starting team has not gotten worse than 5th or 6th at any tournament they've been to. Walter Johnson has been able to hold their own against some very good teams. I think they'll be able to place in the top 16 at least, assuming their negging ability doesn't hold them back.
Yea we always seem to get 3rd or 5th b/c we always win our last game, usually a consolation match (depending on the playoff format). Exceptions to this are the aforementioned UVA Cav Classic (7th, but again, weird lineup, really the C team), Cav Open sort of (there was a tie with Whitman for 5th, but there was supposed to be consolation and they left), and Walter Johnson, though I never found out where B finished there and I think that was mostly C players too, right?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Matt Morrison wrote: If humility is a virtue, ...
I firmly believe that humility IS a virtue.

Hope your pattern has some validity. Do you have a system for picking lottery numbers? :smile:
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Yay for predicting results on totally anomolous and inexplicable patterns!!!!!!
Yay!!!11 for making the second longest post in this entire nationals prognostication thread and saying absolutely nothing. By the way, you still owe me the binoculars.

Actually, from my research into the record of Prince Edward B's performance at UVA states this weekend, I see they have gone 0-10 in their most recent games. But little do you stumbling idiots realize that this is merely a part of an amazingly complex pattern, and that Prince Edward B will sweep nationals prelims and go 10-0, defeating RM A, Gov A, and other perennial powerhouses, like Maycomb County C.

On a much more relevant note, RM will be attending NAQT nationals. And my vote for this year's lakeside is that Canadian team. Oh yah.

I should also point out that RM has played with a different lineup at like every tournament this year. Whether that reflects under-utilization or our coach playing drunken darts with lineup cards, only time will tell. . .
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

bigtrain wrote:Seems pretty fair except we're 1-0 against Blair and 2-0 against RM B. Blair won't be at NAQT and I question the commitment of many of their players.
I forgot about you guys. WJ is definitely a contender at NAQT.

Darkhorse Team: Wilmington Charter. I've played them and they are very inconsisent and streaky, but they are capabe of putting up huge games. We(Gonzaga) were undefeated going into the playoffs at University of Delaware (after beating Charter A,B,&C in the prelims) and we were soundly defeated by Charter in the playoffs in one our most lop-sided losses of the year(including the games we've played against the so called "big 6"). They have the potetial to do very well at nationals.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
quiz4life
Lulu

foreign dark horse

Post by quiz4life »

The school from Shanghai maybe a team to watch out for. Last year at NAQT they ended up 5-5 with one loss being to Dorman by 10 points. The team came into NAQT with no real match experience. At NAC, with the experience that NAQT gave them, they did very well. They are coming back with their top two players, both now experienced seniors. Both have been working very hard in preparation for NAQT (they are also sending a team, with 3 different members to NAC), yes they still lack the experience of the American teams but both players are very strong. I admit as the former coach of the team I am rooting for them!

Oh yes in another thread someone mentioned, I believe in jest, about a possible World Championship. Well that may not be to far fetched. The current coach of the Shanghai team is moving off to Seoul and has already been given the permission and the $$ to start a team. Shanghai now has three quiz coaches and next year is hosting an NAQT tournament for East Asia. I have started, albeit slowly, a team here. I have been given permission to host an NAQT tournament for our region also for next year. I have a couple of very good young players so I hope to see you in a couple of years!

Good luck to all! (Brookwood and Dorman are favorites of mine!)
Michael Harvey
American Community School
Abu Dhabi, UAE
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Lee:

Walton is NOT going to NAQT because a couple of their top players have family travel conflicts with those dates. Ms. Martin told me they were planning on attending PACE.

Walton will be a contender wherever they go. Thye are the best team in Georgia this year.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

bigtrain wrote:My Prediction:
Honorable mentions that seem impossible to rank:
Someone From Illinois
I will politely disagree, and say no one from Illinois approaches the top 10:

1. As far as I know, Fremd and Auburn, ostensibly the two best teams in Illinois will not be in attendance. I also think that Latin, our small school threepete state champs will not be there.

2. The winner of the NAQT Illinois qualifer went 0 and out in our state playoff series (admittadly in a tough regional). Stevenson is normally an outstanding team, but has been off the radar a bit this season (I'm sure they'll be back, riding high next year.....but they shocked everyone by survivng the NAQT tournament.

3. NAQT is fairly foreign as a format to most Illinois teams (and even the few who do play it tend to fair poorly against the better teams which eat, drink, and breathe it. It is gaining some headway, and there are measure in place next year to bring our state series more in line with certain aspects of NAQT question writing.

4. Having said that, Illinois did send three teams last year, two made the playoffs, and one missed it by one win, missing their #1 player for the entire weekend...all-in-all not bad for some teams that see NAQT 1-2 times per year.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Any team with a dominant individual player can make a statement at NAQT. I definitely think that we could see Shanghai American in the top 10, but I had Walton as easily the 5th best team in the country. Is anyone from MO coming? We (Dunbar in general) did well at Wash U (The seeding was annoying) but Westminster might make some noise at NAQT.
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

I think many people here are underestimating the B-teams here. From my own experience, I know that Gov B, and RM B are forces to be reckoned with, and we have played very close games with both of them.
They have consistently proven that, even without their starters, they have excellent depth.
...if we could ever field a full A & B team, I'm sure that B would be at the same level as those of RM & Gov (yes, i know its a shameless plug, but I have confidence in my sophomores).

As for my overall prediction, here it goes:

NAQT:
1. RM A (as has been stated numerous times, they are, as of yet, unbeatable at NAQT)
2/3. Gov A/TJ A (I really think that our teams are too similar and too close to pick this...)
4. DCC (although if Joel gets on a roll, they could cruise to victory)
5/6/7/8. In some order: St. College (I haven't seen them enough this year to place them higher), Raleigh Charter (Same thing I said about Joel applies to Will); RM B & Gov B (see above note)

Other top finishers:
Dunbar, Santa Monica, Walton, TJ B, Gov C (yes, their depth is just that good), DARK HORSE

PACE:

1. Gov A/RM A (Too close to call)
3. DCC
4. TJ A? (As far as I know, we will be missing at least two of our players due to graduation being saturday night...at GMU...well, it may work out in the future, what with Dr. Chuck's new position)
Other contenders:
Everyone else from above who is attending
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

I would have to say that of all of the B teams, RM's is by far the best. After all, they did beat Gov A and Raleigh Charter A at TJ's winter tournament.
thepowerofche
Lulu

Post by thepowerofche »

It may be just me, but judging from this discussion it seems that living between the 36th and 40th parallels and east of the Ohio River gives teams there the edge on NAQT format. True, Richard Montgomery has a distinct possibility (and probably the pot odds) of winning, but it seems to me that there's a lot of what someone called "local bias" running rampant. What of the West Coast? California is bringing more teams than any other state. What of Oklahoma or Ohio, two states bringing 7 teams each? I've seen the Southeast get some honorable mentions, but about a third are for a team that isn't even going to be at the tournament and the people I've seen mention Dunbar and Brookwood probably haven't even seen them this year and are just hedging their bets.

From what I've seen and heard about, it seems like this tournament could possibly be won by any of the top 20 teams there, depending on the playoff draws and the playoff questions. If all of those teams have the drive to win, there are going to be no blowouts and more than a handful of upsets in the Sweet 16 and on. </twocents>
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Your two best bets from Ohio are my team (Garfield Heights) and Tippecanoe. However, Ohio's educational system is sub-par at best, which is why in general, Ohio teams do much more poorly at Nationals than do the Virginia teams, and certain other states.

I would expect both to finish over .500, but I can't go much beyond that.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

BobGHHS wrote:Your two best bets from Ohio are my team (Garfield Heights) and Tippecanoe. However, Ohio's educational system is sub-par at best, which is why in general, Ohio teams do much more poorly at Nationals than do the Virginia teams, and certain other states.

I would expect both to finish over .500, but I can't go much beyond that.
I don't want to start an off-topic debate on this issue, but I've never been one to agree that a state or local education system's perceived greatness has that much effect on the quiz bowl teams in said system.

Case in point is Jefferson County International Baccalaureate in Birmingham, AL. Newsweek picked JCIB as the #1 Best Academic School in the Nation last year. However, their quiz bowl team is mediocre at best - even in Alabama, a state not known for its educational prowess.

Sure, states and school systems that have an abundance of money and other resources have some advantages, but I still feel that the quiz bowl canon is so far removed from what is actually taught in the classroom, that the real determining factors are the dedication of the individual players and the know-how of the coaches.

Therefore, don't think that just because you are from Ohio or Alabama, or wherever, that you're disadvantaged in comparison to schools from Virginia, California, etc. Sure, Virginia seems to have the strongest overall teams in its state circuit, but I think this is more because of the kids and coaches and less because of the superiority of the overall educational systems involved.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Notjustolddeadwhiteguys wrote:...forces to be reckoned with...
I don't think we'd ever win a national championship, but I have called my team a farce to be reckoned with.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Lee-- you're right, we could have a huge off-topic discussion about it, but I'd rather not get into it...

Until Ohio becomes primarily-NAQT, we will not be able to compete on level ground on a regular basis with the powerhouses.

Sure, Solon did well last year, but they had Noah, who was probably the most amazing player I've ever played or coached against.

Until the Ohio Academic Committee becomes all young blood, which won't happen until all the old betties die off, we are stuck with stupid OAC format.

I would be thrilled if we could make some noise at HSNCT, but don't count on it.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

BobGHHS wrote:Lee-- you're right, we could have a huge off-topic discussion about it, but I'd rather not get into it...

Until Ohio becomes primarily-NAQT, we will not be able to compete on level ground on a regular basis with the powerhouses.

Sure, Solon did well last year, but they had Noah, who was probably the most amazing player I've ever played or coached against.

Until the Ohio Academic Committee becomes all young blood, which won't happen until all the old betties die off, we are stuck with stupid OAC format.

I would be thrilled if we could make some noise at HSNCT, but don't count on it.
I could say the EXACT same thing about ASCA (Alabama Scholastic Competition Association). I feel your pain.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I am from the Southeast, and being from one of the teams mentioned, and having played the other several times now, I can definitely see a few teams from the SE making a decent run, but Walton MIA really hurts our chances.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

quizbowllee wrote:
BobGHHS wrote:Lee-- you're right, we could have a huge off-topic discussion about it, but I'd rather not get into it...

I could say the EXACT same thing about ASCA (Alabama Scholastic Competition Association). I feel your pain.
This is my second post ever on this board, but sometimes I feel the need to say something - in particular, that the idea that a state has to be "primarily NAQT" for a team to do well at the HSNCT is absurd. Rather than an exception, I think Noah is good evidence that it is the players themselves - not their school system, not their teachers, and certainly not their local format - who actually matter. As another example, Washington's local format is far, far worse than anything any of you has ever played (trust me on that), but Lakeside came through all right in the end last year because its players took quiz bowl seriously all year long. Having played (at this year's ICT) with Sam Lederer, I also have a newfound admiration for how much more seriously still the TJ boys (themselves) took their quiz bowl team - and look how it paid off for them.

It always seems odd to me when coaches on this message board post questions like, "How can we make our kids get better at quiz bowl?" For the elite teams, what matters is precisely the opposite. I went through a lot of trouble, after my friends and I decided during our junior year that we wanted to play quiz bowl, to find a coach who would sign the forms for us. We eventually found one, but he often couldn't come with us to local games. All last year we lied to him and to the school administration many times to drive ourselves with no supervision to what was supposed to be a school-sponsored activity.

My high school quiz bowl experience was out of the ordinary in many ways, but I mean sincerely - and please don't take this out of context - that the primary focus needs to be on the kids themselves. A lot of this discussion on the importance of the format is counterproductive. The format, one's formal education, the teachers, and even the coaches stop mattering very much when you start playing the game itself.

That said, best of luck to all the teams at this year's HSNCT.

-Kyle
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Kyle,
What you fail to understand is that several of us have to do a ton of convincing to get the adminstration to sign on to the whole quiz bowl package. With that said, you have to start producing in their eyes to continue to recieve funds or even a nod that you are doing anything. So, you are going to get the questions like, how can I get my players to play better. I know I want mine to play better because it is really really hard to like something if you are getting your head handed to you everytime you sit down to the table.
Yes, you are right that the love of the game should come first but it is really hard to love some of the butt ugly formats that have sprouted in some states. That is where the continued discussion about different formats come from IMO.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Let's get back on track, and talk about what really matters here:

Who's going to win the neg award this year?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I think Evan Silberman of TJ has a great shot at the neg award. If he gets on a roll the negs start flying. :grin:

I don't know his name but there's someone on Walter Johnson who has maybe 3 or 4 negs a game.

Then there's you (Chris Ray I think) If you get that many questions, you have to neg alot.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I think I actually did come out on top in negs last year at NAQT, at least among people on the high-scorer list, with 26. Unfortunately, I got no recognition. I have a shot, I suppose, but I'm not quite as reckless as I used to be. But thanks for the nod.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

jbarnes112358 wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: If humility is a virtue, ...
I firmly believe that humility IS a virtue.

Hope your pattern has some validity. Do you have a system for picking lottery numbers? :smile:
Oh of course humility is a virtue, to a point that is, beyond which flattery, insincerity, and false modesty may become suspected. But I was in no way implying that he had reached this point, only complimenting him. I know if I were to list the top few teams in the country, I would have trouble resisting putting up our A team as a contender. I'm afraid I'm less virtuous than most of my colleagues....

In terms of lottery numbers, nah, Chinese fortune cookies work much better. (But to be quite frank, just buy scratch tickets instead :wink: )

As for Mr. Ray, he's close enough to being put on wax that his nickname should be Needles, but for now I'll let it slide as long as I get to use my new mascot...
(This was a bit delayed b/c I've been up in da lab perfecting some new heat, ya know.)
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Thu May 04, 2006 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

As for Mr. Ray, he's close enough to being put on wax that his nickname should be Needles, but for now I'll let it slide as long as I get to use my new mascot...
(This was a bit delayed b/c I've been up in da lab perfecting some new heat, ya know.)
I just wrote a 17 page analysis of a Virginia Woolf passage for my IB english exam, and I still have absolutely no idea what you just said. Or what you and your "bedknob" are doing. And as for what you seem to be imagining involving me and wax, I'd rather not get into that either.

(Please do not take the previous statement to be a request for explanation. In fact, take it for the exact opposite).

I am, however, considering using the name "Needles" at PACE.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Tue May 02, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

The reason that the admins got rid of AHAN was because of stupid crap like this. Stay on topic please.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia