NCATA 2006-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

NCATA 2006-07

Post by DrakeRQB »

I'm just wondering what the NC folks think of the teams for next year. Here are some initial thoughts on a few of the main teams:

Raleigh Charter - they're losing their three all-staters, but they'll be very strong nonetheless, returning several A team players. You have to think they'll continue to be the standard for the state.

Saint Mary's - Nancy Vander Veer is back, and that's enough. They'll be extremely tough.

Richmond - this is one I'm not really sure about. They lose Spencer and a couple of their other A-teamers, so they may fall off a bit.

Robinson - not trying to self-promote too intensely here, but we made final 8 at most of the spring tournaments with an A team comprised of five sophomores. I'll be disappointed if we're not pretty tough next year.

Not trying to intentionally omit anyone - these were just the first teams that came to mind. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Will the real Chapel Hill please stand up? I think they have a very good group of kids if only their adults would let them compete more. Definitely not as "hard core," but they have always had talent.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Will the real Chapel Hill please stand up? I think they have a very good group of kids if only their adults would let them compete more. Definitely not as "hard core," but they have always had talent.
Yeah, same for Cary Academy.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Will the real Chapel Hill please stand up?
Ouch.

I make no predictions. Our uberstarters have to learn some Henry James titles before they can properly compete. That being said, we have at least 5 going to ACE camp. Many Lit majors...

I would like to offer that 40% of the all state team was female. And Katie didn't make the cut. So maybe NC's teams aren't as strong as the out of state competition, but we're obviously more progressive.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, I'm in favor of progressive. There were a number of people who could have made it who didn't, and there was a possibility we could have had 3 girls.

Granted, the one year when I competed in pre-Panasonic-brand PAC, the Massachusetts team consisted of 4 girls and 2 boys.

Hopefully if we get the qualification procedure up and running, we can diversify to having non-Caucasians. We just need more people playing at more tournaments (because we know they exist).

As for getting good, hopefully we'll get there. We have a lot of good teams with potential: Greensboro Day, Walter Williams, NCSSM, the mysterious Charlotte schools, anyone out east...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

E.T. Chuck wrote:We have a lot of good teams with potential: Greensboro Day, Walter Williams, NCSSM, the mysterious Charlotte schools, anyone out east...
If we could pay some of these teams to come to tournaments... Speaking of that, how much of this lack of participation is likely due to cost, transportation, and sponsorship issues, and how much is likely due to lack of interest or enthusiasm? Of course this varies from school to school, and in many cases this is a chicken-egg issue (enthusiastic teams find ways to get to tournaments...). Where should we be spending our time and effort promoting, and how?

Maybe the defibrillation of PLQB for 2007 will give us one last opportunity to draw some of these teams into the fold. GDS and NCSSM aren't too bad about coming when they can, and they field decent teams. Williams does the THC and Hi-IQ, but I can't say I've seen them at much else (Red and White, I guess). They're usually pretty good--they should get out more.

I'm getting the hook now, so to unhijack the thread...

RCHS will reload. All your base are belong to us.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

E.T. Chuck wrote:As for getting good, hopefully we'll get there. We have a lot of good teams with potential: Greensboro Day, Walter Williams, NCSSM, the mysterious Charlotte schools, anyone out east...
I don't know what Charlotte's deal is. Providence Day went to the Richmond tournament back in November. When Hi-Q was televised on WTVI in Charlotte, pretty much all the Charlotte schools competed and a lot of them were pretty good - the ones that come to mind are Myers Park, Harding, and East Meck (my alma mater, NW Cabarrus, made the finals all three years I played - we were the Buffalo Bills of that tournament). But after Hi-Q died in 2002, I guess all the Charlotte programs died as well. I sent invites for Robinson Invitational to every single Charlotte school - not one came.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

FYI to those who may not get listserv emails - we will have an NCATA coaches' meeting at the PACE tournament sometime during the June 16-18 weekend. If you are interested in attending please let me know via email (sadrake at gmail dot com)
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

radiantradon
Lulu

Post by radiantradon »

I think a lot of whether or not a team goes to a tournament is dependent upon the coach--if the coach has a conflict, then the team is out of luck (unless they can find another teacher to come along with the team). Other times, the students themselves have conflicts or a lack of interest in tournaments.

Walter Williams is siphoning off a lot of senior talent to UNC this year; whether or not these seniors will play for UNC is up in the air. I originally wanted to play collegiate quiz bowl in NC but I'm heading up to Olin College in Massachusetts. :grin: We have some really good juniors but we have had trouble trying to recruit freshmen and sophomores; even the bright ones say "Oh, I wouldn't be any good at a quiz bowl thing." :sad:

Chapel Hill and was good at Hi-IQ. Cary Academy had some really good young-uns at the R&W bowl. Why doesn't East Chapel Hill come out and participate in some quiz bowl tournaments? They won Science Bowl this year but I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Anyway since I'll be gone for the 06-07 season, I wish NCATA all the best for organizing some exciting tournaments for next year and beyond.

Katherine Elliott
WWHS
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Below are the minutes from the meeting of N.C. coaches held at NCSSM on June 17.

1. NCOAST
-- NCOAST's date will be moved up if at all possible - probably to March 31
or April 21.
-- As for location, it was discussed that the host site begin rotating
between the Charlotte area and the Raleigh area, starting with the Charlotte
area in 2007.
-- David Bykowski will write the questions once again.
-- The JV division may be eliminated until participation increases. We may mirror Brookwood's (Ga.) JV tournament sometime in March in the meantime.

2. Leadership for 2006-07
-- Dr. Chuck can still manage most things from afar. For local matters,
coaches from the most involved programs (Drake, Grunden, Dawkins, Davis)
will most likely run things by committee.

3. Increasing involvement in the organization
-- The Durham Jaycees volunteered at PACE and seemed very interested in
helping to spread academic competition to areas of N.C. where it is not as
prominent. As a state organization they can network their local chapters to
help organize tournaments.
-- Mirroring tournaments in the eastern and western parts of the state is
desirable - getting people to do the legwork will be the challenge.
-- Continue to solicit involvement from colleges.

4. Schedule for 2006-07, so far...
-- 10/7 - Tar Heel Cup (Chapel Hill)
-- 10/21 - Robinson Earlybird Tournament (Concord)
-- 11/4 - Celebrity Shoot (TBD... Durham?)
-- 11/11 - RCHS TrASH (Raleigh)
-- 11/18 - Raider Academic Challenge (Rockingham) (assumed)
-- 2/10 - Robinson Invitational II (Concord)
-- 2/24 - Belles Bowl II (Raleigh)
-- we don't yet know dates for Salisbury Hippocampus, RTO, Red/White Bowl,
Cardinal Gibbons No-Buzzer Bowl, SMS Solo Tournament
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Drake knows my memory differs from his about where the NCOAST rotation starts (I thought it was Triangle in 2007, since we were out of the Triangle in '06). Assuming a date that works, I am willing to offer Saint Mary's as the location for NCOAST this next school year.

I also have suggested we set a minimum requirement for JV teams and place a deadline well in advance to determine if we proceed with that level for this year, as that has been a tiny field for the entire existence of this tournament.

Hugh
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

ProsperoSMS wrote:Drake knows my memory differs from his about where the NCOAST rotation starts (I thought it was Triangle in 2007, since we were out of the Triangle in '06). Assuming a date that works, I am willing to offer Saint Mary's as the location for NCOAST this next school year.

I also have suggested we set a minimum requirement for JV teams and place a deadline well in advance to determine if we proceed with that level for this year, as that has been a tiny field for the entire existence of this tournament.

Hugh
Thanks for adding that stuff in. To resolve the confusion over NCOAST location, we can host the JV division next year if that tournament makes, then in 2008 JV can go to the Triangle and the open division can come to the Charlotte area.

The minimum size for JV is something up for debate, but I think Hugh, Eric, and I came to a consensus that six would be a good number.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

I honestly don't like the NCATA thread being at the bottom of this page :grin: , so I'm going to ask another question to the N.C. folk on here:

Who are some of the best players in the state next year? Here are a few that come to mind for me...

Nancy Van Der Veer (St. Mary's)
Josh Sokol (RCHS)
Scott Herrmann (RCHS)
Gray Cannon (Robinson)
John Mace (Robinson)

I'm not sure who is returning for Cary Academy, Chapel Hill, Williams, etc. Anyone else got any insight on this?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Hey, I appreciate you listing my player, and I endorse your list, but don't forget Katie Huddleston of Raleigh Charter. I'm really not sure who is returning for the schools you named, and I'd love to hear who we can expect to see.

Hugh Davis
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

ProsperoSMS wrote:Hey, I appreciate you listing my player, and I endorse your list, but don't forget Katie Huddleston of Raleigh Charter. I'm really not sure who is returning for the schools you named, and I'd love to hear who we can expect to see.

Hugh Davis
Yikes! I don't know how in the world I forgot her. I'll chalk it up to a weekend brain lapse. Hannah Rich played on RCHS's A team a couple of times this year so she might make some noise too.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Good point. So...seven individuals named, and four play for Raleigh Charter. We at least know Eric is sandbagging!

I've got to catch up then! Besides Nancy, I think I have several who could be quite strong, including Brooke McAbee if I can get her to enough competitions, and I'll predict there will be one more you all know by the end of the year. Just keep watching the stats.

Hugh
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

What is it with all the girls in N.C.? Katie and Nancy may end up duking it out for tops in the state, you've got at least one other, and I have two girls on my A team. My captain AND co-captain for this coming year are both girls. Judging from the teams I saw at PACE, this is definitely an anomaly.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

I believe it was Eric who pointed out how progressive our state was when the all-state selections were named (since it also included Spencer Burdick of Richmond Sr.)--maybe it's something in the water, but it's definitely a good sign for us.
fancynancy
Lulu

Post by fancynancy »

Wow... thanks :-).

Also, if Elizabeth Deerhake keeps playing (she'll be a junior at science & math), she'll be quite good. We're going to miss her at Saint Mary's.

I'm super excited about ACE next week. Who all from NC is coming, I wonder?
Nancy
Saint Mary's (Raleigh, NC) '07
Samford University '11
fancynancy
Lulu

Post by fancynancy »

DrakeRQB wrote:What is it with all the girls in N.C.? Katie and Nancy may end up duking it out for tops in the state, you've got at least one other, and I have two girls on my A team. My captain AND co-captain for this coming year are both girls. Judging from the teams I saw at PACE, this is definitely an anomaly.
Well, I think the answer is obvious. Girls are better.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Nancy
Saint Mary's (Raleigh, NC) '07
Samford University '11
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

fancynancy wrote:Wow... thanks :-).

I'm super excited about ACE next week. Who all from NC is coming, I wonder?
John Mace, Daniel Hains, and Allison Russell are coming from Robinson. RCHS is sending about seven, per Grunden. We're the only three N.C. schools sending kids. I'll be there as well.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

And of course, three years ago there was no one from NC at ACE. Yet another sign that NC is ascendant.

Katie's off doing something in Colorado with Sandra Day O'Connor this summer and Josh is doing research in Israel, but I think the rest of our A players and most of the B team is in Maryville. Hopefully those two slackers don't hurt us next year.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

rchschem wrote:Katie's off doing something in Colorado with Sandra Day O'Connor this summer and Josh is doing research in Israel
Quoted for awesomeness. Man Eric, you teach some pretty stupid kids up there. :roll: Who do you anticipate being on your A team besides those two?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Kevin, Scott, Philip Marshall. I know that's five. We'll have to sort that out.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Did Ben Edwards graduate too?

We're going to have five A-teamers too, I think. We have three that are definite, then two that are pretty much even. I guess we'll just go on a weekend-by-weekend basis to pick the teams.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Yep. We bled hard.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

After discussions with some other coaches and Dr. Chuck, it looks like NCOAST will be March 24 this year, hosted by either Saint Mary's or Raleigh Charter.

Still awaiting dates on No-Buzzer Bowl, the SMS Solo tournament, RTO, Salisbury Hippocampus, and Red/White Bowl.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

The Tar Heel Cup and the Speedway Shootout are in the books - here's how things stand for the teams that have been mentioned in this thread.

Raleigh Charter
2 tournaments, 2 wins
Katie Huddleston - 2 top-5 individual finishes (#1 at THC, #5 at SS)
Scott Herrmann - 1 top-5 individual finish (#3 at THC)
Josh Sokol - 1 top-5 individual finish (#5 at THC)

Saint Mary's
1 tournament, 1 semi-finalist finish (T-3rd at SS)
Nancy Vander Veer - 1 top-5 individual finish (#1 at SS)

NCSSM
1 tournament, 2 teams in Final Four (2nd and T-3rd at THC)

Chapel Hill
1 tournament, 1 semifinalist finish (T-3rd at THC)

Richmond
2 tournaments, two playoffs (quarters at THC, quarters at SS)

Robinson
1 tournament, Round of 16 (THC)
John Mace - 1 top-five individual finish (4th at THC)
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

And now, an updated synopsis of N.C. quiz bowl heading into the holidays...

Raleigh Charter
4 tournaments, 3 wins and 1 runner-up
Katie Huddleston - 2 top-5 individual finishes (#1 at THC, #5 at SS) and semifinalist at Duke
Scott Herrmann - 1 top-5 individual finish (#3 at THC) and Paul Harvey Award winner at Duke
Josh Sokol - 1 top-5 individual finish (#5 at THC) and Duke Bio Shoot champion

Saint Mary's
3 tournaments, 1 semi-finalist finish (T-3rd at SS)
Nancy Vander Veer - 1 top-5 individual finish (#1 at SS) and semifinalist at Duke

NCSSM
1 tournament, 2 teams in Final Four (2nd and T-3rd at THC)

Chapel Hill
2 tournaments, 1 semifinalist finish (T-3rd at THC)

Richmond
3 tournaments, three playoffs (quarters at THC, quarters at SS)

Robinson
3 tournament, 3 playoffs (4th at Richmond, 3rd at Duke)
John Mace - 1 top-five individual finish (4th at THC)
Allie Russell - Paul Harvey Award at Duke
rshsqb
Kimahri

Missed You Guys

Post by rshsqb »

Hello all. I know I saw some of you at the Raider Academic Challenge, but Robert said some of you had asked about me.

I took the semester off of QB because of surgery (I was out of work for 5 weeks), but I'm back up and around. I've been missing the QB circuit and will be back working with the Richmond team in January.

So at this point my work with the team this year has been pretty minimal, but don't count us out yet!! I have one student in particular I'm watching closely because he has improved so much since last year - Josh Smith, junior. Plus my captain is Kristen Bridgers (another one of those great Carolina gals!)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you all soon!

BTW, has anyone heard if James Island (Charleston, SC) is having its normal tourney in January?
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Out of curiosity, does anybody know what's going on with NC's Panasonic team this year?
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Unless a big, fat sack of money falls from the sky, probably nothing.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I'll probably still field nominations for an all-star team again, but nothing has really moved on the North Carolina Jaycees yet. (Mostly my fault.)
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

We definitely should continue with the all-star nominations, even if we don't wind up fielding a Panasonic team.

I wonder if the Public Library Quiz Bowl people, who won't be paying for PLQB any longer (after this year) might be enticed to support something like this?

:razz:
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

rchschem wrote:I wonder if the Public Library Quiz Bowl people, who won't be paying for PLQB any longer (after this year) might be enticed to support something like this?

:razz:
PLQB might get resurrected again, who knows... remember, 2006 was allegedly its last year.
First Chairman
Auron

2007 Team North Carolina Call for Nominations

Post by First Chairman »

2007 TEAM NORTH CAROLINA
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS

All eligible teams may nominate students for the honor of being a member of the all-star team. The top students will be honored at the NCATA state championship, scheduled for near the end of March 2007 (I think the weekend of the 24th, location to be determined). The goal is to have a final decision made around March 15.

Nominations can be sent to me directly by email (etchuck at yahoo dot com); you may discuss possible contenders or nominees, but posted nominations on the hsqb forums will not be considered. A short biography and rationale in favor of the student is requested. Nominated students should have participated in NCATA and similar high school circuit events during the year.

Eligible nominators include those schools who have participated in at least one NCATA event or have competed against an NCATA-member team at a tournament or a non-competitive activity (e.g., "camp"); specifically, the eligible nominators pool may include programs that are NOT based in North Carolina. (We'll see how this works this year.)

Special nominations outside the scope of this announcement (such as any "rookie coach of the year"), are welcome, but there is no guarantee that such a commendation will be announced. If you are interested in having a special category award be established, email me.

NOMINATIONS RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 15, 2007 at 11:59:59 PM ET will receive first consideration, with subsequent nominations considered on a rolling basis.

General instructions

The number of nominations for a specific student is NOT a factor in this process, so don't think "stuffing a ballot box" will be an advantage. Students and coaches may suggest candidates, but it is preferred that one official nomination be sent per program per student (as opposed to all the team members, the coaches, the principal, and the parents send nominations for the same student... you can see how that could be received in my mailbox ;) ). There is no de facto limit to the number of nominations, but a practical limit may be imposed recursively by me to the nominating program.

Criteria for consideration
While there is not a minimum GPA, it is required that the students you nominate are in good academic standing (i.e., not on probation). I also encourage nominations from students from underrepresented or disadvantaged groups in education (such as demographic, financial, non-urban or suburban upbringing). A statement of a student's membership in an underrepresented or disadvantaged group should be clearly made in the biography/rationale.

Individual statistics that are publicly available on the Quizbowl Resource Center (aka hsquizbowl.org forums) will be considered, as will verifiable results from competitions from which individual statistics are not posted.

In the biography/rationale statement, please include specific examples of leadership, team management, ethics, and interpersonal skills exhibited by the nominee. Examples may come from both quiz-bowl and non-quiz bowl activities.

While every effort will be made to be sure that all regions of the state are represented, there will not be a fixed quota for each region on the team. However, it is hoped that the team's geographic distribution will be representative of the nomination pool. Honorable mentions, "second teams", or "rookie teams" may be considered if the quality of nominees warrants.
rchschem
Yuna

NCOAST 2007

Post by rchschem »

The field is now closed.

Varsity:

Cardinal Gibbons (1)
Raleigh Charter (1)
St. Mary's (1)
Robinson (1)
Harnett Central (1)
Onslow County (1)
NCSSM (2)

JV:

Raleigh Charter (1)
Cardinal Gibbons (2)
St. Mary's (1)
Robinson (1)

Details will be mailed out tonight, including pairings and other stuff.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Also to note, I'm not giving out all-state awards until after the NC State competition at least has been completed on March 31. I'll order those trophies later.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

I wasn't at NCSU yesterday with my team but judging from the stats, there is now more proof that more N.C. teams need to start going to some stuff. Hoggard and S. Caldwell, both competing in their first NCATA tournament of the year, put up great showings.

We didn't have the best day ever (capped off by getting JACKED UP by James Island in the playoffs), but we enjoyed all the N.C. tournaments this year. On to PACE!
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

That's interesting news that James Island may actually be really good again. They've been less active over the past few years, but I'm glad to see they're making their way back to the picture. Of course, they've never competed at PACE.

One of the interesting questions is how we get more teams to compete and participate. I'm surely open to suggestions.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

E.T. Chuck wrote:That's interesting news that James Island may actually be really good again. They've been less active over the past few years, but I'm glad to see they're making their way back to the picture. Of course, they've never competed at PACE.

One of the interesting questions is how we get more teams to compete and participate. I'm surely open to suggestions.
We found out the hard way how good JI is this year. We've played some tough competition this season - Brindlee Mountain, Chattahoochee, Madison North Hopkins, Brookwood - and we have NEVER been jacked up as badly as we were against JI last weekend.

Maybe it's time to stop going to the coaches of these marginal PLQB-only programs and start going after administrators. I'd have to think that principals would be happy with the publicity and reputation that a good academic program can bring. We've had multiple articles written about us in our local paper this year and it's starting to get noticed. If principals can be convinced to fund a team (or at least put in some seed money), find a committed coach, and publicize the team schoolwide, I think we could see vast improvements in the participation levels if we can spread tournaments out statewide.

Or maybe this has already been tried and failed, and/or maybe I'm just young and naive...
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

It doesn't seem to me that money is the chief problem. It's finding 4 kids, a coach, and a driver to get you to a tournament.

Well, money outside of travel money. Travel money certainly doesn't explain Wake county's lack of interest.

Eric
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

To be honest with you, I've had doubts in the past as to whether or not there's just something in the NC water that keeps QB from prospering. Even when PLQB was going at a slightly more active level, few teams competed outside of it. And invitations to events outside that format fell on deaf ears. With the loss of PLQB, many schools now only do Brain Game, if even that.

Last year, I tried many personal appeals to Triangle schools for the Belles' Bowl. When I contacted Leesville-Road, whose coach I had known since college, I was told they had disbanded with Wake Co. dropping PLQB. I pointed out I had seen L-R on Brain Game recently, and I was told that was a different club altogether, and my invitation to that group did not net them coming either.

Even as NCATA has created a network of teams and helped forge some connections, NC does not exactly have an active circuit. And this comes the year after a school from our state won a national championship, doing so with impressive wins throughout the year against top caliber squads.

There was not major support for schools with PLQB, but there was at least the chance to win and be profiled on television, which had at least some administrators backing it (ditto Brain Game, actually). So long as media ignore Quiz Bowl (and I've tried the N&O myself, as I know Eric has), so will many schools. Back when I was at HC, the paper actually called out some of the local schools one year for not fielding teams in PLQB, thus prompting involvement the next time. A local paper can do that and will do that, as it gives them positive press they want, but I think larger media coverage is unlikely at this point, thus keeping activity down.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Does anyone have any contacts in the Forsyth County (Winston-Salem) ACE community??
First Chairman
Auron

All-state team

Post by First Chairman »

It's about time I did this... sorry about the extended delay.

The 2007 North Carolina Academic Team Association All-Star Team

Player of the Year
Nancy Vanderveer

Team members
Katie Huddleston (Raleigh Charter)
Stephen Lin (NCSSM)
John Mace (Robinson)
Josh Sokol (Raleigh Charter)
Nick Tarleton (Cary Academy)
Nancy Vander Veer (St. Mary’s)

Congratulations to everyone. I'll do what I can to get you your trophies, though it may come in the summer.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

StPickrell wrote:Does anyone have any contacts in the Forsyth County (Winston-Salem) ACE community??
We've been trying for years to get the Triad schools involved. That's my answer to the question--I don't know anyone in W-S.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I used to know people at Walter Williams and East Forsyth. Walter Williams actually once competed at NSC, and RJ Reynolds also had been competing once upon a time.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

rchschem wrote:
StPickrell wrote:Does anyone have any contacts in the Forsyth County (Winston-Salem) ACE community??
We've been trying for years to get the Triad schools involved. That's my answer to the question--I don't know anyone in W-S.

Eric
East Forsyth went to a few tournaments back when I played for them ('01-'04), but I almost had to drag our team to some. Forsyth County schools are pretty serious about their "Academic Team" (which is actually a quasi-decent format, comparatively) but never play any other competitions except for the defunct-PLQB and, rarely, Hi-IQ Bowl.

Sort of a pity, actually; East Forsyth performed pretty well on the state level when I was there, but we were never better than third or so in the county. There are some good teams there that just don't want to do anything else. I sent emails and letters out to all the Forsyth schools when I was president of CAT last year, but none came to the Tar Heel Cup or even responded. (I think Sara duplicated my effort this year with pretty similar results.)

To answer your actual question, I can't really help with any current contacts. Coach turnover at East has been almost 100% since I graduated, and I never really knew any of the other schools' coaches that well. I could probably try and find basic contact information, though, depending on what you need.