Practice

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
brownboy79
Rikku

Practice

Post by brownboy79 »

I understand practice is important to getting better. What I do not understand is why someone would cheat at practice. In a game, it could be understandable, not condoned, but understood, but why practice? DumbJaques was trying to explain this to me, but I still do not understand it. Isn't the point to learn?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

How do you cheat in practice, aside from knowing the questions ahead of time? And yes, why...?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

What is going on here?
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

The only reason I could see (understand not condone) is if it is something like the 4 people with the most tossups at practice will play on the A team at the next tournament.

But yes, cheating in general is just stupid.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It's one thing to go over the entire Stanford Archive to prepare for Chip Beall questions... but still...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Once when I played at Athens State, someone brought in a packet to practice that I had just read to my high school team the day before. I have to admit, I played it, answered all 20 tossups and won like 720-0. It was fun to see the look on my teammates faces. I did, however, immediately fess up. It was just in good fun. I don't really consider that "cheating" though, for a few reasons:

1) I immediately told them what had happened. I intended as such from the beginning.
2) They all agreed it was pretty funny.
3) I was playing against true friends, not just "team mates"
4) It didn't hurt anyone. IE - there was nothing to be gained or lost (except for about 10 minutes of our lives - rounds go by FAST when you power every tossup after a few words ;-) )

I'd never cheat in any REAL competition, not even a serious practice.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I guess I need to clarify. If you were practicing either online, where you could google something, or hearing a packet before hand at a traditional practice.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Oh I see... Great Auk-like "cheating". :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Cheating as a well-meant joke is understandable, and hilarious...Cheating any other time...why? What do you honestly gain from it, especially at a practice? It'll eventually hurt you. Period. End of story.
NotBhan
Rikku

Re: Practice

Post by NotBhan »

brownboy79 wrote:I understand practice is important to getting better. What I do not understand is why someone would cheat at practice. In a game, it could be understandable, not condoned, but understood, but why practice? DumbJaques was trying to explain this to me, but I still do not understand it. Isn't the point to learn?
Subtle cheating (of which quizbowlers seem generally incapable) in practice could have its short-term advantages. One might want to cheat as a means of looking like a strong player in practice, answering a few extra tossups here and there in hopes of (A) getting on the school's A team and (B) acquiring the adoration of hordes of groupies. Sadly, only later do they learn that those groupies are other gangly males. So in the end, cheating doesn't pay.
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

This is actually a common problem. I cannot use Stanfor;d packets or other online material at practice because some of my students regularly look at online questions. A couple of them (and I've had students like this in the past as well) can look at a packet once, and then remember not only the answers but the order of the questions (how else do you account for someone buzzing in and correctly answering "Library of Congress" after one word?!?!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

That's where knowing people who keep secure sets of questions that are not readily available online is good. For example, all the NSC questions are freely available but not accessible online. Access is only allowed if you register for that year's PACE NSC, but it can also be provided on request (to me). All years except the immediate past year can be accommodated that way.

Of course, some of us also have a lot of questions we have swapped for in the past that never made it to the archive because we wanted to keep them secure.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
thepowerofche
Lulu

Post by thepowerofche »

It could just be a compulsion to cheat, driven by some sort of inferiority complex or other psychological necessity (like kleptomania, or something). Last year, my team had a senior on it who was what seemed like a compulsive cheater at everything; school, girls, and even quizbowl practice. What he would do is always volunteer to keep individual score at practice, which happens whenever it's only the coach working practice, and they like to only read and not keep score. What he'd do is he'd answer a middling amount of questions, but every so often add a couple +5s or +10s to his column to elevate his score. Why he'd do this was a mystery; he was a C or (occasionally) B team player and had no shot at being on the A team and practiced in the lower practice room. Of course, some people noticed and complained about it, but it was never conclusively proven (i.e. he was never caught red-handed). So, it could just be that whoever it is might be a compulsive cheater. I just kind of wanted to rant about that even though he finally got caught cheating on a math test and, as a result, lost his scholarship to Dartmouth.

But yeah, cheating at practice is probably the most rationally indefensible situation for cheating at quizbowl I've ever heard of.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

I still can't understand the appeal to cheat, especially during a practice. Even if said person is cheating to get onto the A team, wouldn't it be figured out at tournaments?
As far as I know, we've never had a problem with people on our team cheating (practice, tournaments, etc.). Maybe it's because our coach demands hard work, honesty, and humility from us. I know he'd kick someone (literally kick) off the team if he found out he/she was cheating....Thanks, Coach!
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

David Riley wrote: I cannot use Stanfor;d packets or other online material at practice because some of my students regularly look at online questions.
I only WISH I had that problem... That would show initiative.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

:lol: Funny I was thinking that would be interesting to have the problem also
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
jeffburns1
Lulu

cheating?

Post by jeffburns1 »

I think if you argue that searching for quiz bowl questions online and studying them for practice is cheating, then you'd have to argue that reading any novel or looking at any painting that is asked about is cheating also. Sounds like initiative to me and every player has the same access.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: cheating?

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

jeffburns1 wrote:I think if you argue that searching for quiz bowl questions online and studying them for practice is cheating, then you'd have to argue that reading any novel or looking at any painting that is asked about is cheating also. Sounds like initiative to me and every player has the same access.
Studying quizbowl questions not only isn't cheating, but it's the best way to make yourself a better player (not counting studying said questions in the environment of an actual match versus actual opponents). The problem is when you study questions that then get used in a practice/match so that you've heard the question before and buzz in on "This river".

It's semantics. Studying them for practice to get better = good. Studying them for practice sessions = bad.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I'm being misinterpreted: I NEVER said study questions online is cheating, but I can't use them for practice because they are studied online.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Coach uses questions from old tournaments. If we've heard a set before, we know by the fourth word of the first tossup. And we let him know, because it's no fun to practice on questions you already know.