Illinois 06-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
friarup
Lulu

Post by friarup »

Before I say anything, I would like to introduce myself to the message board. I'm Mike, captain of the Fenwick scholastic bowl team. Hello World of Quizbowl!

Now that THAT is out of the way...

As a devoted Simpsons watcher (borderline obsessed), I found the Simpsons questions to be very refreshing on two accounts: 1) Most of the teams we played did not have a clue to the answer, and 2) They lightened up the mood of the matches quite a bit. Although they may have been hard for lots of other teams, we got every one of them except two (New Springfield because I buzzed in too early, and Manhattan Madness because that question was a stretch even for me).

I will have to agree with you, MJG, about the street math. No one on either team in our match had any clue. It was almost like a wasted question.

I love the fromat of the Richards tournament. It's always good to shake things up a little bit. The only thing that got me was that I was always reaching for my pen after each toss up in the first 'round' of each match. Force of habit I guess.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Well, I found the Simpsons questions rather easy--though the Dr. Hibbert's Ilsland of Lost Souls bonus was challenging! :grin:

But more seriously: while I don't champion the questions per se, Chicago Street Math (for example) has been a part of this tournament for as long as I can remember. If you (or your coach?) were aware of this, you should have "studied" ahead of time. And after all, most of those questions mathwise were simple addition and subtraction, when you get right down to it.

My point is, know the quirks, foibles, and follies of various tournaments. A respected coach of long acquaintance once told me that his secret to winning or placing in the top four at Richards year after year despite always ending up in a tough bracket is to have his team get into "Clearythink" the week before the tournament. Good advice (too bad my teams don't always follow it).
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Out of curiosity, what is the difference with the Richards format?
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

1st period: 12 tossups, no bonuses
2nd period: Team behind after the first period gets control of the first of six bounceback bonuses, the categories are set so that each team gets control of the same three categories, which this year included apparently "Chicago Street Math"
3rd period: 8 tossups with bonuses

Tournament format: 8 pools, only pool winner moves on to single elim playoffs. The top teams from the previous year (if they enter again) are placed into the same pool.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

As a long time attendee of the Richards Tournament.

1. I don't have a problem with the TU/B/TU & B format ..... it is a good shakeup .... though I wouldn't want it being held in February as a varsity event (close to the state T). The Maine South Fr-Soph tournament in January uses a similar format, with a written team bonus in place of the 6 alternating bonus questions. Also, we go 12 TU, 10 written team questions, 10 TU&bonus. I got a lot of positive reviews on the format so I kept it for this year, and we are getting bombarded with entries.

2. Years ago, Chicago Street Math was in every round .... I had a player (Tom Bellino ... moment of silence) who swept all bonuses his senior year in that category (to the chagrin of other teams). The last few years saw Chicago Street Math disappear. It came up a few times this year, and included Chicago baseball jersey number math ...... which had the same problems because if your math person was not a cubs/SOX fan, the question died. The later rounds did ahve another staple: the "It happened 10, 25, 50, 100, 200 years ago" bonus.....I did tell my team to be ready for that, and they did fine when those questions came up.

3. I am a fan of the Simpsons. I like inventive Simpsons questions..... really almost cried on the "Island of Lost Souls" question (which I think came up in the Fenwick match ...though sadly no one got it)... BUT too much sugar is bad for the teeth and too much miscellaneous is bad for the brain. I really felt bad for just about any math people because there was only one bonus and two TU per round. I also felt there were too many questions that started "This English Romantic ......"

My two bits ..... and welcome aboard Captain Mike from Fenwick.
Jax
Lulu

Post by Jax »

Hey Mike, nice job rockin the teletubbie question! Man, I totally got robbed on that one math. it sucks to lose on pigeon meat.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

The one problem I might have with the Chicago street math was that it is slightly skewed to Chicago natives. It was kind of refreshing, even if I was a bit off (I had Belmont in the 2000's, instead of 3200...).
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

While I agree that the pop culture questions were refreshing, I don't quite agree with the AMOUNT of them appearing in the tourney.
Let me put it this way - specific details from Da Vinci Code (requiring specific knowledge of the work) came up in at least 5 of the eight rounds. If, say, Crime and Punishment had come up that often, or Waiting for Godot, or even the Crimean War - would that be OK? Whether or not the Da Vinci Code is a piece of literature doesn't even matter, you're still asking about the same work five times.
I don't mind the Chicago street math, or the "add the number of squares on a chess board to Walter Payton's jersey number to the age of the girl in "I Saw Her Standing There"" questions... but they're just not MATH. They're Miscellaneous: Interdisciplinary.

All that being said, the break from perpetual tossup/bonus format was fun. It's nice to find a happy medium between straight TU/bonus and the Super Happy Funtime Bonus.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

The format was a lot of fun. I'd almost like to see a little bit more of it, but...too much of a good thing...Besides, as Coach Egan said, I really don't want too much of it as we get closer to state, etc. There really aren't too many times to play a format like it again.
chrones
Kimahri

Post by chrones »

Hey everyone, I'm Steve, also from Fenwick. To Jax: that was a great match, back and forth the whole way but at the same time was laid back and good times. I have to say, we knew "tripe" solely from Rocket Power, a show I never really gave the credit it deserves.
Jax
Lulu

Post by Jax »

Hey Steve, I know exactly the episode your talking about. Rocket Power was a good show. Nick is pretty lame nowadays.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Top Ten

Post by Matt Bardoe »

I love college football polls, and I would love for there to be a more frequent IL Scholastic Bowl poll. Coach Palmer at Fremd does a coaches poll for the IHSSBCA but that only comes out a few times a year. I would love to have a more frequent top ten for Scholastic Bowl.

There are a lot of you more technically savvy than me. If you have a proposal for a solution to this problem let me know and we can talk about it outside of the message board.

Matt Bardoe
[email protected]
Coach Latin School Scholastic Bowl
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

One problem (especially for Class AA): 99% of coaches haven't seen teams outside of probably a 50 mile radius, with a few exceptions. The only tournament so far with a diverse geographic field is the Earlybird at U of I, and other than the New Trier tournament, that won't change until February/March. Other than that, teams down here (with the exception of Carbondale and Bloomington) won't see the Auburns or New Triers.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

DaGeneral wrote:One problem (especially for Class AA): 99% of coaches haven't seen teams outside of probably a 50 mile radius, with a few exceptions. The only tournament so far with a diverse geographic field is the Earlybird at U of I, and other than the New Trier tournament, that won't change until February/March. Other than that, teams down here (with the exception of Carbondale and Bloomington) won't see the Auburns or New Triers.
I agree .... and I think in Class A it is even worse .....teams in far southern Illinois don't see western Illinois, don't see northern Illinois. Heck, I've seen a lot of the good teams this year (Even Bloomington, Carbondale, and Springfield from downstate, and Auburn from northern Illinois), and don't feel qualified to rank teams yet. Unlike a lot of sports teams, a lot of our teams waltz into a tournament and play shorthanded. If a team does well at fast buzz questions, are they necessarily good? If a team just misses the afternoon of a tournament playing altered beasts, are they all that bad? Its not always so easy to rank teams when we play on such diversity of "fields".
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

More on the top ten

Post by Matt Bardoe »

I guess my initial feeling with regard to these posts are that these issues would be best served by going and getting the most information possible. The more voters the closer to true rankings we will be. I thought that by finding a way to open the voting up, through technology for instance (again I don't know how) we could get a better top ten. Not a perfect top ten.

The issues DaGeneral and Tegan brought up are very valid (IMHO especially)

* Not every team brings its best to every tournament
* Illinois is too big a state.

Maybe a more reasonable suggestion would be Regional top 10's.

This also brings up another issue about scholastic bowl. I would love to have more stats available about individual competitions. I know that there are massive differences in the level of questions, the format, etc. But I think that encouraging the sharing of information will be a motivation for more uniformity, that I think we all believe we want (see pyramidal vs. buzzbeater debate of previous posts). The more information we have the better for seeding, for competitions, for All-State consideration. Any ideas about how to get that done?

We get some of that with the state tournament, and I loved last year when we could see the scores from all the regionals, sectionals, etc.

Where and how could we get more of that?

Matt
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Re: More on the top ten

Post by Tegan »

Matt Bardoe wrote:Maybe a more reasonable suggestion would be Regional top 10's.
This might be more doable, though I would suspect that certain regions would likely not participate .... which is not to say it wouldn't work elsewhere.

This also brings up another issue about scholastic bowl. I would love to have more stats available about individual competitions. I know that there are massive differences in the level of questions, the format, etc. But I think that encouraging the sharing of information will be a motivation for more uniformity, that I think we all believe we want (see pyramidal vs. buzzbeater debate of previous posts). The more information we have the better for seeding, for competitions, for All-State consideration. Any ideas about how to get that done?[/quote]

I agree that this would be good. I wish I could better go into a seeding meeting and demonstrate a "strength of schedule". I can say "My team beat X, Y, and Z." and know these teams are tough, but if I can't prove it to a coach who has never seen them, they tend to not believe me.

The key is to get T.D's to provide more information regarding toss-ups and records of teams. This takes more work than some are willing to do.

If coaches were more willing to commit to abandoning poorly run tournaments, or tournaments with bad questions, then this would more readily come to fruition (IMO).
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

We're going to have full stats for our New Trier Varsity tournament on the 16th. Assuming, of course, that I can keep up!
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

After what will probably go down as one of the longest and most grueling days in Illinois Scholastic Bowl History, we have these results from the Davey and Goliath Throwdown I:

1st Wheaton Warrenville South
2nd Fremd
3rd Stevenson
4th Loyola

Also making the playoffs: New Trier, Naperville North, Maine South, Homewood-Flossmoor.

High scorer for the morning rounds: Ben Cohen, New Trier, 33.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Rules question

Post by Matt Bardoe »

Here is a moderating question I am unsure about. Can students write the spelling of a word, while saying the letters on a spelling tossup?
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Rules question

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Matt Bardoe wrote:Here is a moderating question I am unsure about. Can students write the spelling of a word, while saying the letters on a spelling tossup?
Yep. There are only two rules restricting when a player can not use a writing utensil - before the "beginning" of the match, i.e. any time before the ending of player introductions, and once the moderator says "pencils down" at the end of conferral time on a bonus (the exception being the captain checking off answers as they are read). During tossups, during PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH, whilst answering, all those times are good.
Jax
Lulu

Post by Jax »

From IHSSBCA Pre-Season Coaches' Poll Rankings
Class A (small schools) total pts mentions # of #1

1. Latin School (Chicago) 19 2 1

1. IVC (Chillicothe) 19 2 1

3. Lutheran S A HS (Decatur) 13 2 0

4. PORTA (Petersburg) 9 2 0

5. Rockridge (Taylor Ridge) 8 1 0

5. Winnebago 8 1 0

7. Peoria Heights 7 1 0

8. St. Teresa (Decatur) 6 1 0

9. Newman CC (Sterling) 5 1 0

10. Byron 4 1 0

10. Fairfield 4 1 0

10. Orion 4 1 0

Others receiving at least one vote: Columbia, Macomb, Seneca.

Class AA (large schools) total pts mentions # of #1

1. Bloomington HS 76 8 5

2. Wheaton North 61 9 0

3. Auburn (Rockford) 53 8 2

4. Carbondale 50 7 0

5. Maine South (Park Ridge) 46 7 0

6. New Trier (Winnetka) 44 7 1

7. William Fremd (Palatine) 39 5 1

8. Maine East (Park Ridge) 29 6 0

9. Loyola Academy (Wilmette) 20 5 0

9. Fenwick (Oak Park) 20 4 0

11. Stevenson (Lincolnshire) 14 4 0

12. St. Ignatius (Chicago) 12 5 0

13. Wheaton-Warrenville South 9 3 0

14. Lake Zurich 6 4 0

Others receiving at least one vote: Deerfield, Homewood-Flossmoor, Libertyville, Naperville North, Richards (Oak Lawn), Rock Island, Sterling.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Top Ten

Post by Matt Bardoe »

On the subject of the PreSeason Top Ten. I think in terms of Class A, it is not too bad. I think IVC and Decatur LSA will be tough competition for my team (Latin) this year. PORTA, Newman (Sterling), Byron, Fairfield have had good results so far too. Winnebago did not do well at Kickoff, but I think they are going to New Trier this weekend so maybe we will know more after that.

In Class AA, I think that the suprise from the preseason is the strength of Libertyville. If I were to vote again I would place them in the top ten. The difficult part is to figure out which of the current top ten I would drop. I would also look to move up St. Ignatius. Their victory at Kickoff shows that they are a top team.

In reviewing my top ten from November, I now realize that there are at least 13 teams I would want in my top ten. So I am glad that Coach Palmer has increased the number of teams listed.
Alejandro
Wakka

No respect!

Post by Alejandro »

To quote Rodney Dangerfield, "We don't get no respect." We beat Naperville North, Fenwick, and Deerfield by over 100 points each, and we defeated Latin. We're definitely not #1, or even in the top 5, but we feel like we're being ignored.
mlaird
Tidus

Re: No respect!

Post by mlaird »

NCRedhawks wrote:To quote Rodney Dangerfield, "We don't get no respect." We beat Naperville North, Fenwick, and Deerfield by over 100 points each, and we defeated Latin. We're definitely not #1, or even in the top 5, but we feel like we're being ignored.
Dude, that poll is complete garbage, don't worry about it. If you look at it closer, you'll notice that very few coaches actually participate, and pre-season polls are always just popularity contests, since there's no real way to gauge anything based on the last year, due to graduating seniors and juniors who unexpectantly step up to the plate. The IHSSBCA is thinking about putting the poll online soon, a result of which might be more acurate rankings.

Another result might be BCS like pairing for the State Series? The future? No? Ok, fine.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Polls

Post by Matt Bardoe »

I think that we should reflect a little about the meaning of polls. Polls are always wrong. The college football poll changed wildly and drastically throughout the year. Does that mean that polls should be abolished? I don't think so. They help give people an easy measure of the challenge in a particular match. In college football, when #3 plays #11 that is a big game. Does it mean that #3 always wins? No, other factors play in like home-field, weather, injuries. Same would be true with scholastic bowl, type of questions, what players can make it, etc.

Polls give some sort of measure, and the only other way that we might have to measure is name recognition. One way for teams to start break through and be respected, teams like Libertyville and Naperville Central. Is for polls to reflect their work. This is why I would like to see more polls that reflect more points of view.

Polls could be a way to make scholastic bowl more open to the rest of the state, instead of the constant revolving door of the same teams all the time. This might make it possible for teams to achieve something outside of the state series and Masonics.

BTW, I also agree with mlaird, that poll was taken in October. So it cannot reflect the results of the Kickoff, Richards, etc.
friarup
Lulu

Post by friarup »

In response to NCRedhawks...
Yes, you guys had your way with us (Fenwick) at the Kick Off tournament. I have to hand that to you.

However...
Our team was lacking our two best players (Danny and Brooks) for that tournament. We haven't been at full strength all year.

I'm just posting to clear the air...we are a much better team than we showed at Kick Off.

Now...the polls...I will agree that these polls are little more than a popularity contest. The historically good teams are always up there, even if they are having an 'off' year. It's almost impossible to do a preseason Scholastic Bowl poll. One of the only ways to know who has the best team is to watch matches and look at tournament results. But i think it's nice to have a poll like this
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

mlaird wrote:Another result might be BCS like pairing for the State Series? The future? No? Ok, fine.
Seeding like that for the State Finals would be great. It's kinda silly when the consensus two best teams are in the same pool, and the final matches end up being anti-climactic.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I Am Charlotte Simmons wrote:
mlaird wrote:Another result might be BCS like pairing for the State Series? The future? No? Ok, fine.
Seeding like that for the State Finals would be great. It's kinda silly when the consensus two best teams are in the same pool, and the final matches end up being anti-climactic.
Isn't it done by sectional? I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I thought I read something to that effect.

If any changes need to be made, I think that regionals/sectionals should be revamped. Regionals should be the way State is now. Sectionals, do a double round robin. State, do full pool play, then bracketed playoff.
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

Sorry to be off topic, but I'd like to introduce myself here. I'm Greg from WN, and this is my first post after about a year of lurking. I'm looking forward to New Trier this Saturday. I can't wait!
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

I guess I should introduce myself as well. I'm Jonathan from WN and decided to actually start posting as well. It's fortunate that there is a body like this to discuss and still poke fun at certain ScoBowl events and questions.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Welcome to our forums, gentlemen.

MaS
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

NCRedhawks wrote:To quote Rodney Dangerfield, "We don't get no respect." We beat Naperville North, Fenwick, and Deerfield by over 100 points each, and we defeated Latin. We're definitely not #1, or even in the top 5, but we feel like we're being ignored.
I'll throw in another reason as to all of the above reasons why there's no reason to put too much credence in that poll.

Coaches vote teams that they have seen in competition .... or based on finishes in tournaments. Let me throw one out there:

Richards typically finishes well in their conference ...... wins your odd regional here and there. They are a very legit team.

But given their performance in tournaments when more non-local teams show up, I'm not sure that they are really a "Top-15 team" ... at least not yet. Some coach in their area likely lost to them/saw them play a good match, and said "Wow, they're good!".

Having seen both Napervilles in recent years, I can vouch they are both really strong teams, and have come a long way in the past five years to build some great programs ..... especially a tough job in an area sandwiched between Wheaton North, Wheaton-Warrenville South, and IMSA.

As Naperville Central starts doing a few more tournaments and beating more top teams, more and more people will start seeing what you see.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Well, since nobody else seems willing to start discussion on the New Trier tourney, I guess I will.

I basically have nothing but good things to say about an excellently-run tournament with some of the best questions I've played all year. Congratulations to OP-RF for making some noise and killing some giants. There are certainly a very large number of very good teams this year.

My personal thanks to whoever wrote the "All your base are belong to us" question. That was my favorite of the tournament.
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

That was a great question. I had never expected it to come up.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Re: Rules question

Post by Tegan »

styxman wrote:
Matt Bardoe wrote:Here is a moderating question I am unsure about. Can students write the spelling of a word, while saying the letters on a spelling tossup?
Yep. There are only two rules restricting when a player can not use a writing utensil - before the "beginning" of the match, i.e. any time before the ending of player introductions, and once the moderator says "pencils down" at the end of conferral time on a bonus (the exception being the captain checking off answers as they are read). During tossups, during PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH, whilst answering, all those times are good.
That's not entirely accurate .....

Players can write all they want as long as, in the opinion of the moderator the writing is not giving undue advantage. For example:
1. If a player wants to draw out grids or something during introductions, that's legal. The only thing they can't do is write out information that would be considered helpful (like the first ten elements or something like that), until intros are over. When we wrote the rule, we had to find a place to put a line. It seemed as logical a place as any.

2. If a player wants to keep writing after tims is up/called, that is legal provided that this player is not the player answering the bonus. Someone answering (whether it be the captain, or the about to be defered to player) is permitted to check things off, but not continue, in the moderators opinion, to continue working toward an answer.

This rule was altered because of broad spectrum regional interpretations. There were coaches/officials that would penalize a team out of a bonus because their #5 player was holding a pencil and scratching their ear while the other team answered. There were other officials who chose to ignore things and give huge advantage to the rebounding team (especially on math bonuses). The rule as it is now is designed to stop moderators from handing out penalties in cases where it is clearly not deserved.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

I Am Charlotte Simmons wrote:My personal thanks to whoever wrote the "All your base are belong to us" question. That was my favorite of the tournament.
That would be me. I tried to make all of the Miscellaneous questions really interesting and off-beat.

On that note, what did everyone think of the three Miscellaneous: Interdisciplinary "the name's the same" tossups: X, conjugation, and flag? I liked writing and reading those, but I'm not sure how they're received by players.

The full New Trier packets are going to be put on the Aegis Questions website in a few days (i.e., once I have time to put them up).
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

I also liked the question that "Aegis" was the answer to. No one got it, but it was creative.
OP_Huskies
Lulu

Post by OP_Huskies »

Hi All --

This is John from OPRF.

To Carlo, Nick, Coach Reinstein, and everyone who was at the NT tourney, thanks for a great tourney!

JB
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Hey, tell Ms. Rubinow that she could let you guys out more@ You have a great team, we should see you at more tournaments!
OP_Huskies
Lulu

Post by OP_Huskies »

Why thank you

If it were up to me, we'd be at a tourney every weekend. However, because other teammates are committed to other activities some weekends, and because of the hassles of getting funding, we usually only get to go to one a month.

Still, I wish we could go to more. Saturday tourneys are much better practice for state series than our conference games.

JB
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Just for the non-west/northwest siders out there:

OPRF won their regional last year (over a pretty darn good St. Ignatius team), and proceeded to pick off Fenwick and Deerfield in the Sectional of Death .....Fenwick was having a season to end all seasons, and Deerfield was pretty darn tough even after graduating some star players in the previous season. After that, OPRF came very clsoe to knocking off New Trier. I got to see this as the sectional host who just got to kick back and watch this happen. If any out there are saying "Wow, this OPRF team is surprisingly good", I will say there is no surprise as to how good they are. I had this team circled as a "team to fear" after the sectional matches last year. They're real!
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Who's going to Kaneland?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Trevkeeper wrote:Who's going to Kaneland?
Maine South will be there ....
friarup
Lulu

Post by friarup »

Fenwick will be there too.
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

WN will be there as well.
OP_Huskies
Lulu

Post by OP_Huskies »

no dice for OP in Kaneland ... grrrrr

JB
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

I have already emailed this to all the coaches who came to the tournament, but it bears repeating on this forum:

All eight rounds used at New Trier's Varsity tournament on the 16th are now available for your perusal and download at http://www.aegisquestions.com.

If you have any comments, please post them here or email us ([email protected]) if you'd prefer. I know I really enjoyed writing and reading these packets, and consider them to represent the ideal of pyramidality, variety, and off-the-beaten-track-ity to which Aegis strives.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Second Annual New Trier Varsity Tournament!
MJG
Lulu

Post by MJG »

Sterling will be at Kaneland.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Final Results from Kaneland:

1st: Wheaton North def. Fenwick

3rd: Maine South def. New Trier

semis: Wheaton North def. Maine South
Fenwick def. New Trier

5th -8th (order unknown): Sterling, Notre Dame, Osewgo, Wheaton-Warrenville South
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

What did people think of the questions at Kaneland?