Best individual performance you've seen?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

My experience at big tournaments is limited, but at this year's HSNCT I was scorekeeping a playoff game where Joel from DCC went 8-1-1 125 with 5 of his powers coming after the break and 3 were consecutive. Again, limited experience but it was the best individual stuff I've seen.

Any other stories?
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Any time Will Schultz from Raleigh Charter got on a buzzer it was a sight to see. At N.C. State last year he had eight powers in one game and ended up with (I think) 175 points.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

The practice sessions at ACE camp last year...Chris Ray and David Hoffelmeyer averaged around 55-60 tossups each per day, leaving about 30 tossups for the other 8 players in the room.

In a game format, Rob Sale winning New Trier Scobol Solo this past year by 9 points ranks up there with the best I've seen.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

The best performance I saw was at a mirror of the NAQT HSNCT last year. I played against a team with Eric Smith from Stanford and he answered about 16 of the 20 tossups and our team lost 550 to -10.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

bjb87 wrote:The best performance I saw was at a mirror of the NAQT HSNCT last year. I played against a team with Eric Smith from Stanford and he answered about 16 of the 20 tossups and our team lost 550 to -10.
A college player (note, he's actually in grad school and has been for some time) playing on high school questions doesn't count. Give credit where it's due--to people who perform well on questions that are suitable for their skill level.
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

ekwartler wrote:A college player (note, he's actually in grad school and has been for some time) playing on high school questions doesn't count. Give credit where it's due--to people who perform well on questions that are suitable for their skill level.
I pledge that when I am a tenth-year college player pushing thirty like Eric Smith is I will get 17 tossups playing high school teams on high school questions. That will surely be the greatest achievement of all.

Here are some actual, non-pathetic individual performances of note in recent high school quizbowl memory, speaking at the nationals level:
-Jacob Mikanowski's 52 powers at the 2000 HSNCT
-Wren Elhai getting 5 of the last 6 tossups in the 2004 NSC final to lead his team to a comeback
-Jonathan Hess of Irmo being the only effectively one-man team to reach the final of a solid national championship at the 2002 HSNCT
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

My Top 5 (that I saw, but were not performed by me)

5. Any game against TJ A
4. C'Ville's Alex-Chase Levenson in the '04 BoB All-Stars
3. Most any Wren Elhai performance
2. John Zhang, a former Teen Jeopardy champ, at Cavalier Open
1. One word: Kunle

The Top 5 of Dave

5. 8 consecutive toss-ups against PH-Ashland in '03 VHSL Districts
4. Returning to play in an old-timer's game
3. 140 points (and dominating a sports category) against 8-seeded Steward in the 04-05 BoB
2. Scoring 10 or 12 tossups in a row in VHSL States ('05)
1. Narrowly edging Gov to win VHSL Regionals in '05
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
EagleFan
Lulu

Post by EagleFan »

A former teammate of mine was our star player last year, and definitely deserved to be so. He made the all-tournament team at almost every tournament we attended and was on the all-state A team two years running. However, the best game I think he ever played was against our main area competition, Auburn High School, last year. Against all odds, that strong player plunged forth, struggling as with a vast and oppressive weight, until he brought down the mighty beast.

He was one of four teams who beat Auburn last season. His name is Brad Fischer, and he is an American.
EagleFan
Lulu

Post by EagleFan »

But Tyler Kerr is better.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

And Tyler Kerr was also not playing that game. That might have had something to do with it...
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Ted Gioia powering the last 6 questions of a game at the Blue Hen against Wilmington Charter to eke out a victory.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
brownboy79
Rikku

Re: Best individual performance you've seen?

Post by brownboy79 »

dsfquizbowl wrote: 2. John Zhang, a former Teen Jeopardy champ, at Cavalier Open
Dunbar!
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Travis Vitello @ 2004 UF Spring HS Tournament vs. Taylor County
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Yogesh Raut of IMSA, and later of Stanford, won an individual competition (Ultimate Scholar) that drew 180 students when he was a Freshman.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I saw a kid named Childers score fourteen toss-ups in a thirty question match for the State Title. I certainly won't say he was as good as any of the national folks being mentioed, but it was impressive to see him single handedly dismantle the State Runner-Up in the biggest match any of them would play.
ksattelmeyer
Lulu

Post by ksattelmeyer »

Brad Harris with 18/20 tossups in the first quarter of a playoff game at ASCN in '95 gets my vote. I think they also reached the finals that year.