New Quiz Bowl Practce/Discussion room on Paltalk!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

New Quiz Bowl Practce/Discussion room on Paltalk!

Post by EricLeMaster »

FIRST OFF, YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE CHAT PROGRAM, PALTALK, FROM http://WWW.PALTALK.COM . It is an EASY to use program w/ mic capabilities. Basically, it's mIRC w/ microphone (and video).

YOU CAN FIND THE ROOM UNDER GAME>>>TRIVIA AND PUZZLES>>> 'Quiz Bowl Practice and Discussion'.

If you need help joining or finding the room, add Xx_Eric_xX to your paltalk list by clicking 'add buddy', typing my name, and pressing 'ok'... double click my name on the pals list to message me.

THIS ROOM WILL NOT REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE A MIC. However, if you DO have one, you will be able to quiz participants on the questions you have, if you wish to moderate a game. Readers must use mic to read questions.

SO... WHAT'S THE FORMAT?: All tossups... a reader will read up to 30 questions per game. They will all be tossups. I, as I have a scoring program will score, unless I pass the duty on or am not present. Each question is worth 10 points. Teams will be decided by type of typing: given that 'ALL CAPS' are Team 1 ... 'all lowercase,' Team 2. A 'BUZZ' is not required. AS SOON AS YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, TYPE IT. First one in, correctly, will receive ten pts. for their team. No negs-- no bonuses (for now.) THERE ARE UNLIMITED ANSWERS FOR EACH QUESTION UNTIL 15 SECONDS HAS ELAPSED. After that time, answer will be read, then the mod. will move on.

This is open for people associated w/ academic competition ONLY. This includes students, coaches, question-makers, college-bowlers, tourney directors, etc.

Discussion must be 'G-RATED'.

SO... WHAT DAYS/TIMES WILL THIS RUN? That's not been settled... yet... HOWEVER, that will be indicated in a later post. I personally opt for Thurs. from 8:00-10:00 and on Sat from 6:00-9:00 (or over).

THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE ARE YOUR ROOM ADMINS (GIVEN THEIR PALTALK NAMES):

-- Xx_Eric_xX (Eric LeMaster) , Room-owner
-- Rajudragon
-- Baruj2
-- RapidFlash (no paltalk name as of yet...)

OTHERS WILL BE ADDED IN THE FUTURE.

---NOTE TO ADMINS AND EVERYONE INTERESTED: TRAINING AND A FEW GAMES WILL RUN FRoM 8:30-9:30 TODAY (8/8/06) OR AFTER DEPENDING ON HOW MANY ADMINS ARE PRESENT.)
Admins... please be there today... :)

Hopefully this will work out. I promise, it will be a good practice for competition!

If you have questions, just ask them here... or in the room.

:lol:
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

TRAINING IS POSTPONED UNTIL LATER DATE...

NORMAL PLAY IN ROOM WILL BEGIN TODAY.

((Parents need me off the computer today... :roll: ))
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Training Meeting Amendment

Post by EricLeMaster »

ADMINS WILL TRY TO MEET AROUND 7:00PM TOMORROW...

All others are welcome.

THIS WILL INCLUDE AN INTRO TO PALTALK... REVIEW OF THE RULES... AND TRAINING FOR ADMINS...

WE WILL PROBABLY ALSO TRY A GAME...

Come join us!! :)
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

TODAY: 7PM EST:

ADMIN TRAINING!!!

(W/ follow-up games...)

ALL WELCOME, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NEW TO PALTALK.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

EricLeMaster wrote:TODAY: 7PM EST:

ADMIN TRAINING!!!

(W/ follow-up games...)

TIME CHANGED TO 9PM EST DUE TO ABSENCE OF RAJUDRAGON AND BARUJ... :)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Psst... you can use, like, normal font sizes and stuff.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

EricLeMaster wrote:
EricLeMaster wrote:TODAY: 7PM EST:

ADMIN TRAINING!!!

(W/ follow-up games...)

TIME CHANGED TO 9PM EST DUE TO ABSENCE OF RAJUDRAGON AND BARUJ... :)

TRAINING HAS BEEN FURTHER POSTPONED UNTIL TOMORROW AT 8PM EST!! (due to absence)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Psst... you can use, like, normal font sizes and stuff.
Small sizes are cool too.But not too small!
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Seriously, this is not Timecube.com. Use normal font sizes.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I had originally thought about deleting the thread because it seemed way too much like the illicit marketing/spam websites that tend to post everywhere.

I suppose the rest of the admins can decide whether or not to delete or move this thread if another response seems to be placed with inappropriate font. I admit would be ridiculous to delete on the basis of aesthetics, but still... there is a general etiquette that should be maintained. It's obvious at least that this thread is not really generating discussion about it.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Seems like a legitimate quizbowl person to me. In the future, though, it would be wise to have all your technical details lined up before announcing something like this, and to give us a little more information on who you are and why you think another packet/chat channel is necessary, given that we already have one room where questions are read manually and another with a bot.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Sorry about the font ordeal, I just tried to make the important info in bold and also used the font to maintain organization.

Otherwise...

I am a junior in high school at Johnson Central in Paintsville, KY. I thought this would be a good idea because it would provide a moreso practice-like situation. The mic is used to ask question... the first one on the screen w/ the typed answer gets the point.

The voicing provides the 'feel' of a moderator.... I felt this would be a fun idea... so I went with it and made this room.

Anyone is welcome to come to our meeting today at 8:00!! :)

Sorry about the font, once again! :)[/b]
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

For what it's worth, I tried this out tonight for a few minutes. There were only 5-6 people in the room, but it was pretty fun. I could see where it would be a lot of fun with more people.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

quizbowllee wrote:For what it's worth, I tried this out tonight for a few minutes. There were only 5-6 people in the room, but it was pretty fun. I could see where it would be a lot of fun with more people.
We will be playing games from 6:00 on--- today!

Join us!! :)

((And as a note, we had the training... all went well. We shall soon schedule times and days for games.))
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

We have decided on the following days and times to start play:

MON/THURS/SAT: AT 8PM EST!!

Looking forward to see you there... this is really a fun way to improve your qb skills, so come on and join us!!
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Raj and I are in the room right now... join us.

We're currently in qb discussion and listening to 80s music... if enough people come, we will play a game... :)
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

We had several players in attendance today and ran until about 5 minutes ago. Too bad we weren't able to start at 8...

Thanks to Raj who helped admin... and thanks to the 5 or 6 other players who participated! It was fun! :)
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

Matt Weiner wrote:Seems like a legitimate quizbowl person to me. In the future, though, it would be wise to have all your technical details lined up before announcing something like this, and to give us a little more information on who you are and why you think another packet/chat channel is necessary, given that we already have one room where questions are read manually and another with a bot.
Where is this room where questions are read manualy
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

P3nguinP0wered wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:Seems like a legitimate quizbowl person to me. In the future, though, it would be wise to have all your technical details lined up before announcing something like this, and to give us a little more information on who you are and why you think another packet/chat channel is necessary, given that we already have one room where questions are read manually and another with a bot.
You will need to download Paltalk (http://www.paltalk.com). We are scheduled to play every Mon/Thurs/Sat at 8PM EST in the room listed as 'Quiz Bowl Practice and Discussion' in the Puzzles and Games category (sub-cat: trivia)... If you cannot find it, please private message Xx_Eric_xX for an invite. :)

Come join us today at 8! :D
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

EricLeMaster wrote:
P3nguinP0wered wrote:
You will need to download Paltalk (http://www.paltalk.com). We are scheduled to play every Mon/Thurs/Sat at 8PM EST in the room listed as 'Quiz Bowl Practice and Discussion' in the Puzzles and Games category (sub-cat: trivia)... If you cannot find it, please private message Xx_Eric_xX for an invite. :)

Come join us today at 8! :D
The room where questions are read manually is (to the best of my knowledge) an AIM chat room organized by several East Coast players (formed, if memory serves me, by Chris Ray and Michael Braun, possibly more). You'll have to talk to them for entrance, as it only happens when they get it going.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

We're open! :)
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

Woot i finally got Paltalk :D
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

P3nguinP0wered wrote:Woot i finally got Paltalk :D
Glad you liked it... a lot of people mentioned that they have...
Alejandro
Wakka

Problem starting to emerge...

Post by Alejandro »

I think Paltalk has installed adware on my computer. I believe it installed Winsoftware.WinAntiVirusPro2006 and CasaleMedia adware, and it might be responsible for installing spyware called Spabot. Also, when I googled "Paltalk spyware", this came up.
In other words, it's a very good idea to download an ad-blocker before you use Paltalk.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Re: Problem starting to emerge...

Post by EricLeMaster »

NCRedhawks wrote:I think Paltalk has installed adware on my computer. I believe it installed Winsoftware.WinAntiVirusPro2006 and CasaleMedia adware, and it might be responsible for installing spyware called Spabot. Also, when I googled "Paltalk spyware", this came up.
In other words, it's a very good idea to download an ad-blocker before you use Paltalk.
I never noticed that... but I always use adblackers and things like that running during paltalk, so I dunno...

Since this was found--- I suggest you take his advice. :)

((Room opens @ today!))
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Re: Problem starting to emerge...

Post by EricLeMaster »

((Room opens @ today!))
@ 8 today, sorry.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Thanks to the lot of people who came today and participated...

Thanks Baruj for helping admin and Raj for standing by...
Thanks, LatinBergen for helping read and type questions.

Also, thanks go to the people who made us the third largest room on PalTalk today w/ up to 10 people present to play today's games. So yeah, thanks QuizBowlLee, DSimons, BillyBeyer, Cmoney, Ieat..., and anyone I am missing...

Remember: next official game: 8pm on Sat! :D Hope to see you there!
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

We had a bunch present last night and the room lasted until around 11:30 or so.

We now have a website: http://www.freewebs.com/qbpd

We have the rules, formats, dates and times, and other info. there.

Our next regular time in on Mon @ 8pm! :)
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Sorry about not opening the room for awhile, guys. I have been VERY busy. If any of the admins wish to open the rooms this week, they can do so freely.

I probably will not be able to attend any of the sessions for the next week or so, I'm VERY busy...

Once again, sorry!
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

OK, I can't find the room... it's Thursday at 9 PM and there are four Puzzles/Trivia rooms, none of which are ours.
What's wrong?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

I will try my best to open the room on Saturday at 8. :)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

playing tonight?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

I don't think we'll be playing for awhile. I have not been on paltalk in ages... ages.

Sorry for the inconveniences I have caused...

We will probably be playing again soon... maybe.

If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at either of these addresses:

-- [email protected] (no, I didn't forget the 'i'.)
-- [email protected] (I would probably be quicker getting to you on this one.)

The website is still open for curious players: http://www.freewebs.com/qbpd

Thanks! :)

((Oh... those from MLK: Nice meeting you (@ EHCS Tourney)!))