RESULTS: Autumn Classic (12/09/06) @ Michigan Ann Arbor

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
alkrav112
Rikku

RESULTS: Autumn Classic (12/09/06) @ Michigan Ann Arbor

Post by alkrav112 »

Michigan Academic Competitions is pleased to announce the 2006 Autumn Classic to be held on Saturday, December 9, 2006, on the Central Campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Since 1995, Michigan Academic Competitions has hosted several tournaments for high schools throughout the state of Michigan. This year's Autumn Classic promises more of the same, as we hope to draw some of the finest schools from throughout the region and beyond. This event will be run with questions provided by NAQT. As a result, teams entering the 2006 Autumn Classic will be able to qualify for the 2007 NAQT High School Championship.

Each match will consist of two 8-minute halves or 24 tossup questions, whichever comes first. Players who first answer a question correctly will be rewarded with points and a chance for the entire team to answer bonus questions, all of which are worth a maximum of 30 points. Questions come from all areas: science, math, history and government, literature, current events, geography, popular culture, fine arts, sports, mythology and religion, social science, and general knowledge, with the academic areas heavily emphasized. In an attempt to ensure that teams have the opportunity to compete against teams of equal skill, the schedule will incorporate a pooled round robin for preliminary play. In addition, we guarantee that each team will play a minimum of six matches, with the top teams playing head-to-head to determine the tournament champion. Our goal is that each team plays as many matches as possible. We will also attempt to ensure that teams from the same school will not play each other during the preliminary rounds.

We will begin registration at 8:15 a.m. and hold a mandatory meeting for players and coaches at 8:45 a.m. Rounds will begin at 9:00 a.m. and continue through the morning and early afternoon with a lunch break around 1:00 p.m. Playoffs and a brief awards ceremony will follow, and we expect to finish no later than 6:00 p.m. The tournament will tentatively be held in Mason and Angell Hall; however, specific information on meeting places will be sent out/posted later.

Registration for this event will be limited to 32 high school teams, and we will initially allow each school to register only 2 teams. All other teams from that school will be placed on a wait list, which will be used to complete the tournament field on a first-come, first-serve basis after the registration deadline of November 23, 2006. Teams may consist of an unlimited number of players, only four of whom may play at once. It is our hope, however, that all the students attending the tournament will receive a good deal of playing time. We will accept teams on a first-come basis until 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 23, 2006, unless we first reach the tournament maximum (if this happens, we will place these teams on a waiting list).

To register, send an e-mail to [email protected] that includes your name, school, number of teams, number of buzzers you can bring, a phone number, and a confirmation e-mail address. Please note that the registration forms on the team website are no longer valid.

The entry fees for the 2006 Autumn Classic are:

First team from a school* $90
Each additional team from a school $70
Discount for a fully functional buzzer system (max 2 per school) -$10
Early bird discount for registering by 5:00 PM, November 16 $5/team
New program discount** -$10/team
Online registration discount -$5/team
Distance discount (100-275 miles)*** -$10/team
Extreme distance discount (over 275 miles)*** -$50/team
Minimum entry fee per team $0

* Canadian dollars are accepted from Canadian high schools at par.
** If your school has not participated in a University of Michigan tournament within the past two years, then you are eligible for this discount.
*** Distances are determined as based on distance one way from your school to the tournament site according to mapblast.com.

Once we receive your school's entry, we will send you a confirmation, area maps and directions, tournament rules, and other useful information. Our web page (http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/) contains a Frequently Asked Questions section that we hope will answer any questions you have regarding the tournament.

If you have specific questions about the tournament, please do not hesitate to contact by e-mail either Andy Kravis at [email protected] or Will Turner at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you on December 9th!

Sincerely,

Andy Kravis
Tournament Director & Internal Director, Michigan Academic Competitions

FREDIT: Title changed per request.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Moderator: please note the accidental double-posting and feel free to remove the extraneous announcement.

Thank you!

Done --the mgmt
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

One more quick addendum: We will be using NAQT set IS-62; please make sure that you are not attending another tournament using this set, as it would make for both an unfair and an unenjoyable experience for all teams involved.

Thank you!
alkrav112
Rikku

FIELD CLOSED

Post by alkrav112 »

Hello all -

The 32-team field is officially closed for the 2006 Autumn Classic at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. The field currently stands as follows:

Culver Academies (2)
Huron (2)
Novi (2)
Saline
Jackson (2)
Brighton (2)
Sand Creek (2)
Standish Sterling
Stevenson
Pickering College
John Glenn (2)
Rochester (2)
Troy (2)
Farmington (2)
DCC (2)
Hartland (2)
Roseville
Quincy
DeWitt (2)

There is currently one team on the waitlist, Huron C. Teams that contact me after this message is posted will be placed on the waitlist on a first-come, first-serve basis. Early registration discounts will still apply if teams register before the deadline previously posted.

Looking forward to a great tournament!
- Andy Kravis
Tournament Director
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Note to moderator: please update topic title to reflect the status of the field, if you would be so kind.

Thanks!
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Hi everyone:

Just to finalize some details regarding the 2006 Autumn Classic, to be held
December 9th.

*The tournament is going to be held on the 2nd and 3rd floors of Mason Hall (if you need directions, please see http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac for further info). There will also presumably be some signs pointing y'all in the right direction.

*The field is going to be limited to 32 teams. Ultimately, we were unable to accumulate the necessary staff to manage a larger field; we will try to expand next year if the demand remains as high as it was this year.

*Again, please bring checks to me at the tournament; they should be made out to Michigan Academic Competitions.

*If you have any further questions, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Andy
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

One more update: Pickering has dropped from the tournament, and the first team on the waitlist, Huron C, has been added to replace them. Each remaining team, then, shifts up the waitlist.

See you all in 2 weeks!
kdroge
Wakka

Trying to get in...

Post by kdroge »

I'm an East Lansing player and I believe that our coach contacted you about entering. I think that we're on the wait list, but I'm not even sure about that, so could you please tell me where we are in line to get in?
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

East Lansing, you are 8th and 9th on the waitlist. I'll let you know if space becomes available, but we have decided not to expand the field, so you'd be counting on 8 drops.
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

That's rather unfortunate.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Hello all -

As we approach the long-anticipated Autumn Classic this Saturday, I have finalized details about when & where we are meeting:

We will begin registration at 8:15 a.m. and hold a mandatory meeting for players and coaches at 8:45 a.m. in 2455 Mason Hall, which is on floor 2 of Mason (there are maps in the building). At the moment, there is a bit of construction surrounding the Mason/Angell/Tisch/Haven complex. It will not affect parking or any road travel, but some sidewalks are blocked off. If you find yourself near a blocked sidewalk, follow the signs that say "To Diag," and you'll get yourself to the right area. For further info, see the FAQ section of http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac. Rounds will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m.

If you have any further questions, PLEASE let me know. I'm more than happy to help, and I'd much rather take 10 minutes now than 10 minutes the morning of.

See you all bright and early on Saturday!

- Andy
cdbarker
Lulu

Live Stats

Post by cdbarker »

Live Stats for the 2006 Autumn Classic are being posted on the web. You can follow along at:

http://www.collegequizbowl.org/2006AC/2 ... dings.html
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

I want to thank all the teams that came out for the 2006 Autumn Classic at the University of Michigan today. 32 teams registered, and the preliminary results can be found via the link posted above. 8 teams, the top 2 from each of the 4 brackets, made the playoffs. The results are as follows:

Quarterfinals:
Detroit Catholic Central A (350) defeats Culver Academies A (85)
Novi A (300) defeats Ann Arbor Huron A (120)
Novi B (190) defeats Hartland A (150)
Troy A (390) defeats Detroit Catholic Central B (230)

Semifinals:
DCC A (330) defeats Novi A (265)
Troy A (455) defeats Novi B (50)

Third-Place Match:
Novi A (465) defeats Novi B (70)

Finals:
Troy A (465) defeats DCC A (245)

Thank you to everyone who made this tournament run as smoothly and quickly as possible, especially Craig for keeping stats and manning the moderator fort, and all my volunteer moderators and scorekeepers for their dedicated efforts.

Hope to see you all next year!