VHSL dates?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

VHSL dates?

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Alright I know States is February 24th and I know that Districts and Regionals vary a lot, but would anybody happen to know when any of the particular Region or District tournaments are (or know of any ones that have always been on the same date, or have always been on weekdays)?

The reason I ask is that William & Mary quizbowl *may* (so don't get your hopes up) host a tournament in January or February. I'm looking at January 20th, January 27th, and February 3rd in particular, so whichever of those three conflicts with the least VHSL tournaments is best. For various reasons, it'll probably be a trash tournament, if anyone's curious.

Also does anyone know what building States has traditionally been held in? Morton I'm guessing? I wouldn't know as I was a B teamer who never made it there.
STPickrell
Auron

Re: VHSL dates?

Post by STPickrell »

The tournament's in University Center -- but in the morning we need 12 rooms so we borrow Blair Hall most years for the morning. Last year we borrowed some other building. Then in the afternoon when there's only one match going on at a time, we play everything in the University Center.

The only region I know of so far is the Northern Region (and all the Districts thereof) which is January 20. The Northern Region tournament will be using my questions for the first time this year.

I'll send you contacts for the other regions and districts in your area so you can ask. I owe you an email.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Thanks. I'm really curious about the Southeast and Central regions (and their corresponding AA and A counterparts), but I guess we'll have to see. Also, the buzzers used at the state tournament are owned by the VHSL (not the UC), right? Apparently the UC has only one buzzer system that they use for CBI, and they wouldn't want it to get banged up over the course of hours and hours of practice anyway, so it's looking more and more like I'll have to get my own...
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

The Valley District is hosting their SB tournament December 16 with an early January makeup date if needed.
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

The Beach District tournament is January 29, and the Eastern Region tournament is on February 5.
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

Beach District regular season games start today!
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll officially announce our tournament shortly.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Sorry for the tease, but today I received a funding gaurantee from William & Mary and I might get more money elsewhere, plus some from an intramural tournament we'll host later in the year, so that makes our proposed tournament less necessary funding-wise. With this factor alone I would still gladly host it, BUT the major problem is, since I first assigned ?s in September I have received sub-par results on question writing from our club members (we have 2, maybe a little more than 2, rounds worth of ?s done, and I've written almost half of that). So hopefully next year they'll pick it up a bit and they'll be more experienced in quizbowl and know how to write, but for now I'm scratching what I was going to dub the Colonel Ebirt Memorial Tournament. Hopefully we'll host this next fall though. My sincere apologies go out to all who were counting on us hosting a trash tournament this winter, but I wouldn't want to host anything (trash or otherwise) with any last minute, slapped together group of questions.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Matt,

If questions are the only thing holding you back, I can help you out. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and we can talk about it more offline.
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

My coach just received an e-mail saying that we are limited to 15 matches under VHSL contest limitations. Does this include tournaments?
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

olsb25 wrote:My coach just received an e-mail saying that we are limited to 15 matches under VHSL contest limitations. Does this include tournaments?
There is no VHSL limit on the number of contests. I would recommend strenuously against such a limit as playing lots of Scholastic Bowl does not have the same impact as playing lots of other sports (e.g. there's no "buzzer thumb.")

However, my understanding is that the Beach District places a limit on the number of outside competitions during VHSL season (which for you guys is between August 1 and whenever you're eliminated in the VHSL series.) I think it is five competitions, with each tournament counting as one and Battle of the Brains counting as one. Tournaments after VHSL states don't count.

Have your coach drop me an email so I can talk with the relevant parties (I'm not as familiar with each District's rules as I am with the VHSL rules.)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

StPickrell wrote:However, my understanding is that the Beach District places a limit on the number of outside competitions during VHSL season (which for you guys is between August 1 and whenever you're eliminated in the VHSL series.) I think it is five competitions, with each tournament counting as one and Battle of the Brains counting as one. Tournaments after VHSL states don't count.
In light of past assurances on your part that the VHSL tournaments would not be supplanting or challenging the independent invitational circuit, what are you doing to rectify this situation?
mithokie
Rikku

Three Rivers District

Post by mithokie »

The Three Rivers District Tournament is Tuesday, January 24, 2007 @ Eastern Montgomery HS. The snow date is Wed. January 25, 2007.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Argh, after trying to email out invitations to the Colonel Ebirt Tournament, the Henrico County spam blocker proves to be a formidable foe. Does anybody know how I could otherwise reach the Henrico Co. coaches? I'll shoot for snail mail I guess, but if worse comes to worst, could it be mentioned at their district tournaments?