Tell me about Lexington, KY!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Tell me about Lexington, KY!

Post by AKKOLADE »

I will be moving there some time in the near future, as my girlfriend of three years just found out that's where her medical residency will be. If you are familiar with Lexington, tell me about this city!
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Tell me about Lexington, KY!

Post by grapesmoker »

leftsaidfred wrote:I will be moving there some time in the near future, as my girlfriend of three years just found out that's where her medical residency will be. If you are familiar with Lexington, tell me about this city!
It's not quite about the city, but I suspect the number of squirrels in your immediate vicinity is going to increase dramatically.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

MY GIRLFRIEND
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Tell me about Lexington, KY!

Post by AKKOLADE »

grapesmoker wrote:It's not quite about the city, but I suspect the number of squirrels in your immediate vicinity is going to increase dramatically.
I doubt that it could increase dramatically. I mean, West Virginia has a lot of squirrels.
MLafer wrote:MY GIRLFRIEND
DID I ALSO MENTION THAT SHE KILLED FOUR HUNDRED NAZIS WITH HER BARE HANDS BY TRAVELING BACK IN TIME ON THE ARK OF THE COVENENANT?
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I lived in Lexington way back when, 1974-1976. I'm sure it's changed some, but:

Advantages:

1) A gracious standard of living for those who can afford it (the horsey folks drive prices way up)

2) Keenland is far superior to Churchill Downs

2) UK, plus or minus their basketball fans (as an old joke has it, "Oh, that's God, he thinks he's Rupp")

Disadvantages:

1) see #1 above

2) acid rain; if you ride a bike you'll have to change your tires every two months or so

3) and as a native Louisvillian, we have nothing compared to Georgetown, Irishtown, or Pralltown--three of the only places in America that still have dirt floors (at least they still did as of the late 1980s).
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

It's in Kentucky.

And Kentucky is a hotbed of quiz bowl.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Lexington is the capital of Kentucky. pause. NOT!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Hey. I resent all of this. All of it. And the Lextown quiz bowl scene isn't bad. I mean, we (Dunbar) are in Lexington, Louisville with Manual is only an hour down the road and good Ohio competition can be had in 2 hours. Lexington can be fun. And plus, you can pick up some free quizbowl bias here in the heartland of regional favortism.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

It shares its name with a town in virginia, and one in massachusetts, which was where the revolution began. :lol: sorry, i know nothing else
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

Well, seeing as I own a house there and am fairly close to getting my doctorate from UK, I know a little about Lexington.

Lexington is a growing city, fairly large geographically speaking. There are places of great, great wealth (Richmond road, for example), and some spots just off of downtown which are pretty poverty stricken. Most of the more interesting parts of the city are close to campus, and a little further down Nicholasville Road out near a decent-sized mall complex which also houses two movie theaters (one of them art-house, one regular), a number of restaurants, and a recently-built English pub. Downtown is also fairly nice, and near the library is the historic Kentucky Theater, an old 1920s movie house that tended to be the place to see artistic movies before this new theater, and is still to be preferred to it for the atmosphere.

Lexington has a fairly low crime rate, and tends to be conservative. There are some town-and-gown difficutlies, mostly involving the fraternaties.

As far as college quizbowl, the UK team has pretty much withered by now. However, if you are considering reviving the team, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Be careful, Fred. People there ludicrously think the local college basketball team is still relevant nationally and that the job coaching it would be anyone's dream. And they actually pay money to Rich Brooks (Rich Brooks!!!) to teach football to undergraduates!
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Be careful, Fred. People there ludicrously think the local college basketball team is still relevant nationally and that the job coaching it would be anyone's dream. And they actually pay money to Rich Brooks (Rich Brooks!!!) to teach football to undergraduates!
So if they offer you the position...
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I think my playing days pretty much ended back in high school. I might do a trash tournament or two, or maybe an academic one if I feel like embarassing myself down the road, but I'm pretty happy just hosting tournaments, trying to help out state organizations and being a terrible forums administrator.

Thanks a lot for the information on Lexington as a whole. More info is always appreciated.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

leftsaidfred wrote:I think my playing days pretty much ended back in high school. I might do a trash tournament or two, or maybe an academic one if I feel like embarassing myself down the road, but I'm pretty happy just hosting tournaments, trying to help out state organizations and being a terrible forums administrator.

Thanks a lot for the information on Lexington as a whole. More info is always appreciated.
You're not terrible, Fred...you're just dreadful
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

The local league with most of the teams in it is called the Thoroughbred League. You might be able to get in on some great, awe inspiring, all in all incredible league question writing action.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Golden Tiger 86 wrote:You're not terrible, Fred...you're just dreadful
Hooray, an upgrade in status!

I am contemplating writing for Kentucky.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Although I don't know you, I presume you're not a masochist, atleast not in the case of quiz bowl. Don't cheapen yourself. That's a plea.
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

That's true, you don't know Fred. He is a masochist.