2007 PACE NSC preliminary field

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I was looking at the tentative schedule and noticed only 7 prelim rounds. Is this final, or is there still a chance of 9 prelim rounds like last year? That was fun.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

There is a chance, but I need to get confirmation from Matt on questions before planning on that.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

The number of preliminary rounds depends on two factors:

1. The number of rounds of questions available
2. The number of teams and how the preliminary groups will be arranged

At this point, I think it may be more likely that there will be 7 preliminary rounds, but this is not final by any means.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

In my opinion, seven preliminary rounds is disappointingly few for a national championship.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

With full-blown NSC rounds, 28x7 tossups = 196 tossups, which is close to 10 NAQT rounds. 28 x 9 = 252 which is close to 12 standard toss/bonus games. I'm not arguing much on that, but we do have to figure out the effect of scheduling upon the performance of the teams and the volunteers. Also we have to do what we can to have 12 distinct teams into the championship field so that the competitiveness of the Sunday games maintains its rigor (and we run on time). So in addition to all of those games, we have to construct multiple tiebreaker packets. Of course, historically one had to be used to three guaranteed games with ASCN and four guaranteed games (until recently) at QU. I think most of us would enjoy having more games if we can schedule it within reason... but we'll stick with our general policy of scheduling 7 rounds of prelims unless we can do more.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Yeah, that is true. PACE games do have a lot more content contained within them.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Will the tournament be bracketed like in years past? I seem to recall some discussion about possibly power-matching this year.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

If we have ever discussed power-matching, it would be for consolations. I don't recall ever fielding discussions about power-matching the prelims.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

E.T. Chuck wrote:If we have ever discussed power-matching, it would be for consolations. I don't recall ever fielding discussions about power-matching the prelims.
OK. I thought I might be mistaken. I think someone (probably just another coach or player) off-handedly mentioned it once.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Infidel coaches... :)

Of course, I think I joked once that I would use ladder play... or perhaps it was "Chutes and Ladder Play" for tournament format.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I remember reading somewhere that the math computation bonuses in the category round are all 15 seconds each. Some of them seemed forbiddingly difficult to solve even in 30 seconds.
Can someone tell me about this?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

They are 15 seconds for calculation unless we dictate otherwise.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

I'm going to agree with the above poster about needing more time, if you're going to have questions like factoring 4th degree polynomials with complex roots (2005). I had a lot of fun trying to do that as a freshman. :(
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I really doubt that any team attending PACE could solve a quadratic equation for intersections, integrate the quadratic, and plug the numbers in to solve the definite integral . . . all in 15 seconds. (2006 R2)

Anyway, another thing that I noticed was that the distribution was very rigid. Of course, it is something those of us flustered with randomness of NAQT would welcome. But perhaps, it's too much to set the distribution with in a match (e.g. The one geography toss up and the one current events toss up were always in the stretch round. Likewise, the only social science tu and the only general knowledge tu of the game were in the Related bonus round. Trash was always in the second section).
It makes it easy to predict what toss up is coming up, which isn't that big of a problem, but moreover, it favors geography/current events team over social science/general knowledge team. If that is what PACE is trying to do, I guess it's not a problem, although I still think social sciences and philosophy tend to be underrepresented in high school quizbowl (I might add that I didn't see any philosophy tu in the first three rounds of 2006 packet).
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, I'm not sure exactly how easy for one to predict the general subject of the next tossup, but yes, we have always had an explicit distribution for each of our question sets.

There is also quite an aversion to philosophy for high school rounds. Not too many students really take philosphy to the extent that we could really write more than just a question or two per match. We do religion and mythology (which we put together with philosophy as a category) instead.

I'll let Matt go into detail on distribution questions if you have more.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

We are currently at 35 teams, so I am doing a final call for teams for the NSC. The ideal number we want is between 36 and 40, with getting close to 40 being more ideal so we don't have to navigate byes (if we do divisional RR).

Any currently registered teams who might consider bringing a large-enough contingent that they can allow their younger players to have some experience at the NSC, please let Dave and me know. We'll try to work something out on the registration fee, but I think getting to 36 or 40 makes things a bit easier with our planning.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Kechara
Wakka

Post by Kechara »

aestheteboy wrote:(I might add that I didn't see any philosophy tu in the first three rounds of 2006 packet).
With regards to that: There is RMP in the related tossup-bonus section, and we try to have those include philosophy. However, philosophy is such a small part of the distribution that putting it in the RTB section means that another round or two doesn't get their philosophy at all. I probably had a philosophy RTB in round 4 or so that maybe should have gone in round 3. Musta been Emeril saying "Bam!" for the hundredth time that day that distracted me. :cool:
Jessie Francis

"Bubbles up"
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Making sure: emails have been sent out from me as the 7-days-to-go update, which includes the latest rosters and the scoresheet template. We encourage you to make copies of the rosters and the scoresheets for your use during the tournament ahead of time as I do not anticipate making additional copies for general use at the tournament site. I will also try to get everyone the latest program booklet online so you can print before coming to the tournament (we will have limited paper copies).

If you have not received these emails, please let me know.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

What preliminary record is needed for a team to make the championship playoffs on Sunday? Also, are teams randomly assigned to play each other on Saturday or is there some sort of seeding involved that takes into account performance throughout the year?
First Chairman
Auron

Saturday morning: meet at Angell Hall Auditorium A!

Post by First Chairman »

On Saturday, we have Angell Hall Auditorium A all day (capacity 300). On Sunday, we have Angell Hall Auditorium C all day (capacity 150 + standing room).

For those who have not been to Michigan tournaments lately: Angell Hall and Mason Hall are connected, and are both in the very large building complex whose information is at http://uuis.umich.edu/cic/buildingproje ... ldingID=12 .
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Anyone up for some ultimate frisbee after the prelims?
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

iambusyeating wrote:Anyone up for some ultimate frisbee after the prelims?
OH GOD YES. I am bringing a disc.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Talk to Jonathan Magin who is moderating. I'm pretty sure he'd play.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008