High School Quiz Bowl Varsity Letters

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jburnsOHS
Lulu

High School Quiz Bowl Varsity Letters

Post by jburnsOHS »

I'm in a brand new school that only opened with grades 9-11, and I only had one junior on the team, so my 9th and 10th graders played in all the varsity tournaments. I am trying to decide what criteria to use to award Varsity letters.

If anybody has any suggestions or can tell me what criteria you use in awarding letters at your school, I would appreciate it.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I award varsity letters to any player who participated in at least 25% of hte varsity practices and/or varsity matches.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

My HS had a minimum practice requirement (75%, I want to say) and a minimum tournament attendance requirement (around 4) for QB.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

We have about the same thing, 75% attendance for tourmanents and a practice requirement, going into place for next year to earn a letter
kristinsausville
Kimahri

Post by kristinsausville »

When I was in high school in northern VA (about ten years ago now), the requirement to earn a varsity letter for quizbowl was being on the TV team for "It's Academic".

I believe my school was one of the first in the area to award varsity letters for quizbowl, as the one I received in 1996 seemed like a novelty to other teams at various tournaments, but by the time I graduated in 1998, more schools seemed to be doing it.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

My high school began doing this as part of academic recognition in the mid-'80s.

The high school where I coach doesn't do this, but I usually give some sort of senior recognition to those that attend 1/3 or more of the practices/tournaments.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
porcupine
Lulu

Post by porcupine »

We don't get varsity letters at all or any kind of recognition from our school. Since they recently returned all our trophies to us because there was no space, our coach just gave anyone who played varsity this year a trophy.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Anyone who plays in or is on the roster for a majority of the A team's games gets lettered.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

At TJ I don't think we had any formal guidelines, but if you went to most of the practices and most of the tournaments you got one. I have them from sophomore, junior, and senior year.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia