Preliminary announcement: Trevor's Trivia at UTC 9/29/07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Preliminary announcement: Trevor's Trivia at UTC 9/29/07

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

This is to let you know that UT-Chattanooga will hold its tenth annual Trevor's Trivia: Bob Selcer Memorial High School Quizbowl on Sat., Sept. 29, 2007. Full details will follow at a later date.

Gunnells
Lulu

Post by Gunnells »

Is this a traditional tournament or a pop culture event?

Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Charlie we will be bring 3 or 4 teams

Byko
Auron

Post by Byko »

Gunnells wrote:Is this a traditional tournament or a pop culture event?
It's one of Charlie's two regular high school tournaments that he runs each year.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship

Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

Confirming Byko's post, this is a regular high school quizbowl, academic in nature with only a smattering of pop culture included in the distribution. The name "Trevor's Trivia" may be confusing, but that was the title of a general knowledge trivia column by the late Bob Selcer in the UTC Echo way back when, which helped draw certain people (i.e., me) into this maelstrom in the first place.

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Your Genial Quizmaster wrote:Confirming Byko's post, this is a regular high school quizbowl, academic in nature with only a smattering of pop culture included in the distribution. The name "Trevor's Trivia" may be confusing, but that was the title of a general knowledge trivia column by the late Bob Selcer in the UTC Echo way back when, which helped draw certain people (i.e., me) into this maelstrom in the first place.
I always meant to ask you who Bob Selcer was... and why the tournament is called "Trevor's Trivia" and the Bob Selcer Memorial.

Also, Brindlee Mountain will be there with two varsity and at least one (probably two or even three) JV teams.

wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

On the Yahoo search engine, the first result for "brindlee mountain hs" is the NAQT website.

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

wd4gdz wrote:On the Yahoo search engine, the first result for "brindlee mountain hs" is the NAQT website.
Okay... and...?

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

quizbowllee wrote:
wd4gdz wrote:On the Yahoo search engine, the first result for "brindlee mountain hs" is the NAQT website.
Okay... and...?
WTF???
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White