EQUINE I (10/20/2007) @ Auburn HS (Riner, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mithokie
Rikku

EQUINE I (10/20/2007) @ Auburn HS (Riner, VA)

Post by mithokie »

This is a preliminary announcement for the Eagle QUizbowl INvitational Event. We will be hosting our tournament on 10/20/2007. I am currently planning on running the tournament with NAQT A Level Questions. We will have round robin pool play in the morning with playoffs in the afternoon to determine all placings (Full consolation playoffs to allow all teams to play more matches). Fee structure, registration form and other details will be posted in early August. The school is located a few miles off of I-81 at exit 114 near Virginia Tech, Blacksburg and Christiansburg. To express interest or for more information, please contact

Matt Beeken
mbeeken "at" mcps.org

The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Glad to see someone in Montgomery County not named Virginia Tech hosting tournaments and participating in something other than MACC or VHSL. I hope the event goes well.

Go Shawnees!

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

We have been assigned NAQT set IS-71A and the question set will not be an overlap for the Battle of the Brains tournament. Registration forms will be available around early to mid August. I will post a link to the registration form on this forum and I will be doing a snail mail to public schools within a 2.5 to 3 hour drive of our school. The Eagle QUizbowl INvitational Event I (EQUINE I) is scheduled for Saturday October 20, 2007.

For further information e-mail

Matt Beeken
Auburn High School
mbeeken "AT" mcps.org

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

You should find a link to the registration form for the Equine I below. All of my contact information is at the bottom of the registration form. We are looking forward to your participation in our first tournament.

Registration Form

Click on the file EQReg07.doc (MS Word file) to get the registration form.

I will post field updates starting in early September to this message board.

Matt Beeken

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Just FYI, I sent snail mail invitation letters and registration forms to public schools within three hours of Auburn High School today. They should arrive sometime next week.

Matt Beeken
Auburn HS

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I just wanted to bump the post and remind anyone interested that the tournament's early registration deadline is 10/1/07 ($10 discount for early registration). I am still looking for official registrations. Field Update so far... I will update the field as I recieve registrations.

Confirmed Registrations:
Cave Spring (Roanoke, VA) 2 Teams
Happy Valley (Elizabethton, TN)

Plans to come (No Registration Form Yet):
Eastern Montgomery (Elliston, VA)

Expressed Interest(Not sure if attending):
Cave Spring (possible 3rd Team)
Floyd County
Highland
Christiansburg
Hibriten (Lenoir, NC)

Edited 9/26 to update field.

Matt Beeken
Auburn High School
mbeeken "at" mcps "dot" org

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Field Update 9/28/07
Only 3 Days until the Early Registration Deadline.

Confirmed Registrations (6 Teams):
Cave Spring (Roanoke, VA) 2 Teams
Happy Valley (Elizabethton, TN)
Eastern Montgomery (Elliston, VA)
Honaker (Honaker, VA) 2 Teams

Expressed Interest(Not sure if attending):
Cave Spring (possible 3rd Team)
Floyd County
Highland
Christiansburg
Hibriten (Lenoir, NC)

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

We're still at 6 teams, but could entertain many more! If you want to play on NAQT's IS-71A and haven't yet, you have a great opportunity to qualify for Nationals early this year in lovely Riner, VA!! I will enter a team or two from Auburn if we don't get more than 10 teams ultimately to help fill out the field.

Even though I only mailed invitations to schools within 3 hours, please know that ALL teams are welcome if they have not played on IS-71A previously. Riner is easy to get to... We're on route 8 only 4 miles off of Interstate 81 at exit 114 near Christiansburg and Blacksburg.

Please e-mail me if you are interested or have questions

mbeeken "at" mcps "dot" org

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I can still take teams if anyone else is interested. I would need notice by Friday 6:00 AM at the latest in order to make arrangements for adding teams to the schedule. Please let me know by e-mail if you are interested in bringing a team.

Thanks,

Matt Beeken
Tournament Director, Coach
Auburn High School

mbeeken "AT" mcps "DOT" org

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Cave Spring A went undefeated in the morning (5-0) and went on to win the final. Honaker A was (4-1) in morning pool play and finished 2nd in the tournament with only two losses all day, both of them to Cave Spring A.

Honaker B was in 5th place in the AM round robin with a (1-4) record, but after lunch they defeated Cave Spring B, lost to Cave Spring A, and the defeated Eastern Montgomery to take home the 3rd place trophy. I will post stats (SQBS format) on-line tomorrow.

Matt Beeken
Auburn High School

kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Props to Matt for running his first tournament at Auburn. The kids had a good time and we enjoyed ourselves. Plan on coming back. Mad props to Honaker, who are like Region D champions for like the past three or four years. They seem to plan on going on the weekend circuit and once they get up to speed, you may have to look out for them. They've got a solid team.
Bob Powers
Academic Team Coach
Cave Spring High School

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Full results and statistics can be found below.

EQuInE I

Matt Beeken
Auburn High School