Kentucky '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Coach K wrote:
EricLeMaster wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:Does anybody know if the DCC team at Russell is the actual starting line for this year?

Also, I was under the impression that Danville's history starter had other obligations that day. And that Danville doesn't really have a fourth person yet.
I was wondering where Hunter was--- I was hoping to see the whole team; no doubt they would give an even more impressive performance.
Hunter was ACTing on Saturday.
I don't blame him. I didn't even think about taking it in another state... I could have probably taken it in Indiana or Tennessee-- I don't remember if WV offered it or not...
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

EricLeMaster wrote:
mceschermaniac4 wrote:That team is not the starting line up for DCC. We were missing 3 of our top 5 players.
I knew that something wasn't normal when you played us... I knew it should have been closer.
You all still did very well, though.
Thank you.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I think WV is this satuday, Eric.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

mceschermaniac4 wrote:That team is not the starting line up for DCC. We were missing 3 of our top 5 players.
I was very impressed by your a/h person so I'm going to guess that he's one of your top 5. Just for curiosity's sake, what was the other guy's subject?
I am Spartacus.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Just saw that John From Danville made a perfect score on both the ACT and the SAT. Good job for this.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

Mephistopheles wrote:
I was very impressed by your a/h person so I'm going to guess that he's one of your top 5. Just for curiosity's sake, what was the other guy's subject?
Well I (the asian kid) am like the art/music/miscelanius person and the the other guy is mostly lit. Two of the guys we were missing were mainly science/history people and the other was a lit/history person.
Special K
Kimahri

No Andrew

Post by Special K »

Andrew, buddy, pal, friend, compadre; i saw your post about brad. "Brad is or will b better than Kevin." I don't think so man. I'm a little rusty, but if I get back into practice I'll get back into my groove. But besides that good luck with everything at JCMS.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: No Andrew

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Special K wrote:Andrew, buddy, pal, friend, compadre; i saw your post about brad. "Brad is or will b better than Kevin." I don't think so man. I'm a little rusty, but if I get back into practice I'll get back into my groove.
Howdy y'all, and welcome to
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Special K wrote:Andrew, buddy, pal, friend, compadre; i saw your post about brad. "Brad is or will b better than Kevin." I don't think so man. I'm a little rusty, but if I get back into practice I'll get back into my groove. But besides that good luck with everything at JCMS.
I don't know what could happen Brad may or may not get better, but enough of that now I wish Central luck today at Ezelll Harding.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Special K
Kimahri

Post by Special K »

I don't want to start a word war andrew, i'm just saying that due to the fact that he's my little brother. It's what I do. Plus I'm insane at history, i'm just kidding lol. Take it easy man
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Lol sibling rivalry.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I know both. And Kev's better. And I could never pretend that he wasn't. Plus, we're like brothers now. And anyway, one cannot predict the future. I think that Ezell was an interesting test. Well done all. Except us. We should not have lost to MLK.

brownboy79 wrote:We should not have lost to MLK.
WTF dude?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

We lost by 70. But it we were down ten with two left before my teammate negged on aromatic for ester. And then we were down 40 and gave up. Reverse that question, and it's a different game. Regardless, MLK played well and deserved the win. We just made a lot of mistakes, I wasn't hating on Dallas and Cody and Co.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

. . . I take it this was not a tu/bon tournament then?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

No, it had a worksheet...

pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

DumbJaques wrote:. . . I take it this was not a tu/bon tournament then?
Chris, basically every tournament in Tennessee has a worksheet and bounceback bonuses. I don't know the specifics for Ezell-Harding, though, since we never went to that one.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

This tournament was ten ten point quickie tossups. 2minute 15 question worksheet. 10 Tossups with 20 point bounceback 2 question bonuses. Ooh, lots of numbers. So when you're down 40 with one question left, you've lost. But down 30, you can tie. Rather like Vandy.
scfitz
Kimahri

Manual

Post by scfitz »

Hey everyone. I just want to say that manual is back this year with our old coaches and we will do better than last year!!!!!!!! After all we cant do much worse, can we?
Sean F
Senior
duPont Manual HS
Louisville KY

Wow, what's with the new posters deciding to talk about their teams? Although it seems good that Manual will have better coaching again.

AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

I think Danville showed at the Ezell tourney that they're not just a one-person team (despite what some people have hinted at vaguely). Aside from Rachel, the asian kid (is it...John?) was very fast on science and music (?), and I already knew from ACE that Hunter is a solid player. Good luck to them this year!

P.S. I'm a longtime lurker, so I know how this works... :

my team owns omg and we're going to win all tourneys this year. because we rock.

Just for you, Charlie.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12

AdamL wrote:my team owns omg and we're going to win all tourneys this year. because we rock.

Just for you, Charlie.
OMFG NKC IS SUMM PWNge.

brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Dude. Dunbar is going to go medieval on NKC. Back off, buddy.
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

AdamL wrote:I think Danville showed at the Ezell tourney that they're not just a one-person team (despite what some people have hinted at vaguely). Aside from Rachel, the asian kid (is it...John?) was very fast on science and music (?), and I already knew from ACE that Hunter is a solid player. Good luck to them this year!

P.S. I'm a longtime lurker, so I know how this works... :

my team owns omg and we're going to win all tourneys this year. because we rock.

Just for you, Charlie.
That might partially be because Hunter and John were unable to attend ACE Camp this summer because of other commitments.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Vandy

Post by Mephistopheles »

From the results of the Vandy tournament, especially the morning rounds, it seems that the entire state of Kentucky is having a particularly down year. I believe that Dunbar was the only team in the elite eight, and from my last count, only Dunbar, Danville, and Johnson were in the top sixteen.

Especially strange was the uncharacteristically poor performance of last year's top teams, especially Mad North, Russell, and (to some degree) Pikeville.
I am Spartacus.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I apologize for my slanderous remarks against MLK. They were, by all accounts, a better team. And while I feel that we played a horrid match to Walton in the first round on Saturday, we redeemed ourselves nicely.
akinney
Wakka

Re: Vandy

Post by akinney »

Mephistopheles wrote:From the results of the Vandy tournament, especially the morning rounds, it seems that the entire state of Kentucky is having a particularly down year. I believe that Dunbar was the only team in the elite eight, and from my last count, only Dunbar, Danville, and Johnson were in the top sixteen.

Especially strange was the uncharacteristically poor performance of last year's top teams, especially Mad North, Russell, and (to some degree) Pikeville.
All of North's A starters last year were seniors. Our B team last year is pretty much our A team this year. North doesn't expect to do well early, but with hard work we can get to state and hopefully do decently there. We also tend to have trouble with Vandy's pyramid questions, as our knowledge isn't that deep, and we were outmatched by better teams like MLK and NKC. Although our first match against Norcross in the afternoon shouldn't have been lost. We made several mistakes.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

akinney wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:Although our first match against Norcross in the afternoon shouldn't have been lost. We made several mistakes.
MNH was a good team, but the match we played against you during the playoffs was by far the worst we played that weekend. We negged on 7 out of the first 10 questions during that round and had 8 negs total. Out of the 20 questions, we jumped on 16 of them. You might have made several mistakes, but our entire performance for that round was a mistake.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Ben_Dodson wrote:
akinney wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:Although our first match against Norcross in the afternoon shouldn't have been lost. We made several mistakes.
MNH was a good team, but the match we played against you during the playoffs was by far the worst we played that weekend. We negged on 7 out of the first 10 questions during that round and had 8 negs total. Out of the 20 questions, we jumped on 16 of them. You might have made several mistakes, but our entire performance for that round was a mistake.
I noticed Norcross' results were pretty good going back, but our mistakes on just a few questions killed us. You all corrected yours and in the end came out on top. It was fun playing Norcross though, I'm just glad we didn't have to get slaughtered by Dorman. :(
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

So, Beta results were interesting. As anticipated, Patrick's Press questions played a pivotal role in affecting matchups, but no real harm done.
Final Results:
1. Dunbar
2. Russell
3. Lone Oak
4. Edmonson Co.

Those results may be wrong, because I don't remember everything well.
I think it's intriguing to take a look at the scores from the games, too. If anyone has those records, it would certainly be interesting to consider them.
prewitt81
Lulu

Post by prewitt81 »

Edmonson actually defeated Lone Oak in the consolation.

I don't know how it is now, but when I played, the format at BETA was different each year. We had everything from modified ACF to first-to-eleven speed tossups. I always wondered why there wasn't an official format.
"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."

Jeff Prewitt
Head Coach
Edmonson County HS Academic Team
Brownsville, KY
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

See you all at Hart Co.
I am assuming there are quite a few of teams going...
I hope so at least, lol.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Beta confuses the hell out of me. Hart Co. was fun, if long.
1. Dunbar
2. Ballard (Interestingly, both out of the same preliminary division)
3. Russell, MadNoHo
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Paintsville won both the varsity & junior varsity divisions of yesterday's tournament. They're definitely a force to watch in the state of Kentucky.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

leftsaidfred wrote:Paintsville won both the varsity & junior varsity divisions of yesterday's tournament. They're definitely a force to watch in the state of Kentucky.
They're okay; they're fairly good in the Eastern KY region, but that's about the extent of it...
Last edited by EricLeMaster on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:Beta confuses the hell out of me. Hart Co. was fun, if long.
1. Dunbar
3. Russell, MadNoHo
Myself, I thought the Hart Co. tourney was not fun at all, lol.
The questions were the #1 worst I've EVER heard, Patricks Press or not.
There was a question about JOHN P. CAMPBELL HIMSELF, THE AUTHOR OF THE QUESTIONS, WHO HAS NO HISTORICAL OR LITERARY VALUE WHATSOEVER.
Secondly, we lost to Ballard, a good team nonetheless, but that should NOT have happened.

Congrats Dunbar, though. :)
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

EricLeMaster wrote:
brownboy79 wrote:Beta confuses the hell out of me. Hart Co. was fun, if long.
1. Dunbar
3. Russell, MadNoHo
Myself, I thought the Hart Co. tourney was not fun at all, lol.
The questions were the #1 worst I've EVER heard, Patricks Press or not.
There was a question about JOHN P. CAMPBELL HIMSELF, THE AUTHOR OF THE QUESTIONS, WHO HAS NO HISTORICAL OR LITERARY VALUE WHATSOEVER.
Secondly, we lost to Ballard, a good team nonetheless, but that should NOT have happened.

Congrats Dunbar, though. :)
I agree with his take on the question about John Campbell. That was ridiculous.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

We didn't hear the John Campbell question. Although I firmly believe, that if you're going to value the old school Governor's Cup questions, Patrick's Press questions, our league questions (I have lots of nasty stories, including one when we answered Rite of Spring ridiculously early, and the end, the question asked for "Rite of blank", and we were, obviously, denied.), you cannot complain about the question sets. I will say the questions certainly improved, and while I hate the entire style of the questions, as far as they go, it could've been significantly worse. I know I've seen worse.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:We didn't hear the John Campbell question. Although I firmly believe, that if you're going to value the old school Governor's Cup questions, Patrick's Press questions, our league questions (I have lots of nasty stories, including one when we answered Rite of Spring ridiculously early, and the end, the question asked for "Rite of blank", and we were, obviously, denied.), you cannot complain about the question sets. I will say the questions certainly improved, and while I hate the entire style of the questions, as far as they go, it could've been significantly worse. I know I've seen worse.
I didn't say that I value Governor's Cup questions and Patricks Press questions, as I do not. I just meant that the quality of those questions were ridiculous. I've never heard good-quality questions from the company, myself. As for GC questions, the newer the better. Quality is improving and I am liking the pyramidal nature. (I think a question re-formatting and a match-structure re-structuring is in order, though.)

Oh well, it's over, lol.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

The reason that I said old school Governor's Cup questions, was the very same. Last year, the questions got significantly better. It looks like this year should be even better, especially with the change of format at state.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Who is possibly interested in paying this individual to write questions?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

DumbJaques wrote:
Apparently the Hart County people. But not many companies write great questions anymore. If all questions were like KAAC or NAQT, quiz bowl would be a better place.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

akinney wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
Apparently the Hart County people. But not many companies write great questions anymore. If all questions were like KAAC or NAQT, quiz bowl would be a better place.
KAAC Nouveau that is, lol.
...and every now and then you'll find a good set of house-written questions...
Vandy's were very nice, the last I went to...
Last edited by EricLeMaster on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

EricLeMaster wrote:
akinney wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
KAAC Nouveau that is, lol.
...and every now and then you'll find a good set of house-written questions...
Vandy's were very nice, the last I went to...
I forgot Vandy's. They are good, but so very tiring.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!

Tiring? Do you mean that the tournament is long? I'd agree with that, especially about the Friday night matches going late, but I think it's still worth it.

akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Yes, that's what I meant. It's not too bad though. Some of us have it easier than others. The questions are always top-of-the-line in quality, and good for reviewing lesser known details about frequent subjects.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Final Match

Post by Mephistopheles »

Anybody know the final dunbar-ballard score? I was unaware that Ballard was this good this year.
I am Spartacus.
akinney
Wakka

Re: Final Match

Post by akinney »

Mephistopheles wrote:Anybody know the final dunbar-ballard score? I was unaware that Ballard was this good this year.
I'd like to know, as well. I was unaware, too.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I want to say 58-17, but that might be wrong. There were a lot of matches, and I don't remember the scores.