DC/Metro Area 2007-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Re: DC/Metro Area 2007-08

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

closesesame wrote:So Evan Adams, I predict that in 2 years, Sarah Angelo and Greg Tito will be bestial.
Thanks Naren...haha.

But Evan is right. Gov A is going to have a rocky beginning of the season, as we have 6 players who are all being considered for A team, and 5 of them (sans Matt, who happens to have seniority) will be working hard to improve and get a spot. But, depending on how things work out next year, we might not use our strongest lineup, since trying to make a 4 person team out of 6 will piss at least 2 people off. But, if we do, I think Gov A can win the national championship, whether we use the cemented members of Greg and Sarah (this decision has pretty much been made by Dr. Barnes) with Tommy, Me, Cameron, or Matt. Greg is something crazy, and Sarah, Cameron, Tommy and I all have the categories at which we excel (Matt, no.), so any combination of us is a formidable force to back him up.

But who knows, Cameron and I are going to some college tournaments pretty much as a two man team, and Tommy, Cameron, and I (no others yet), are going to VCU practices with greats such as Matt Weiner, Evan Adams, and the One and Only Exalted George Berry. Everyone in the Gov program is going to get better, and honestly, I dont really think too many teams in the country will be able to beat us on a consistent basis.

I won't even talk about 2010, they might as well just give us our trophies now.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe
Wakka

Post by Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe »

wowitsquinthaha wrote: Everyone in the Gov program is going to get better, and honestly, I dont really think too many teams in the country will be able to beat us on a consistent basis.

I'm a massive fan of the group at Gov; Greg Tito will put me to shame by the time he's a senior and I'm sure Sarah will prove no less intimidating. And if we're willing to delve deeper into the nebulous and tenebrous depths of prognostication, I think it plausible and likely that at least two of the other four will improve by a similar amount. Which is a frightening thought. Certainly Gov is my pick for team to watch in the next couple years.

Edit: It is perhaps worth pointing out that my panda is in full concurrence.
Shantanu Jha, Walt Whitman '08, University of Chicago '1x
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Hmm, who knows. At this point in time, Greg is the only one who can consistently score in like the 70s/80s. Tommy and I both put up like 45/50 and Sarah and Cameron both do around 30/35 (from PACE). But sometimes Tommy will put up 100 points in one game, and 0 in the next. Its the same for pretty much everyone on our team, we as a whole are pretty inconsistent (besides Greg). That's something we definitely need to work on, becoming more consistent. Hopefully, and probably, that problem will work itself out as we expand our knowledge bases.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Yeah, it's not often that you can predict two seasons in the future, but in this case I can say that I like Gov's chances in the year 2010. I mean, there were absolutely no noticeable sophomores this year except for the Gov group. It's kind of weird (was it the first time in HSNCT history that none of the top 25 were underclassmen?), but it certainly bodes well for Gov. With that said, I don't see Gov winning either of the national championships. I'm thinking their performance will be similar to Whitman's last year.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Daichi, that's because you're going to win. Matt Weiner says if you come through on your commitment to win the lit singles, than you can win nationals.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I wouldn't get to ahead of yourselves. A lot happens in two years. For all you know, a top team in 2010 may not even exist as we speak. In two years, players you've never heard of can become dominant. Mediocre teams can turn into powerhouses......etc.....A lot can happen in two years.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

The little I know about Quint from hearing about him and playing against him at PACE leads me to believe that that statement is at least a little bit facetious.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:
closesesame wrote:So Evan Adams, I predict that in 2 years, Sarah Angelo and Greg Tito will be bestial.
Thanks Naren...haha.

But Evan is right. Gov A is going to have a rocky beginning of the season, as we have 6 players who are all being considered for A team, and 5 of them (sans Matt, who happens to have seniority) will be working hard to improve and get a spot. But, depending on how things work out next year, we might not use our strongest lineup, since trying to make a 4 person team out of 6 will piss at least 2 people off. But, if we do, I think Gov A can win the national championship, whether we use the cemented members of Greg and Sarah (this decision has pretty much been made by Dr. Barnes) with Tommy, Me, Cameron, or Matt. Greg is something crazy, and Sarah, Cameron, Tommy and I all have the categories at which we excel (Matt, no.), so any combination of us is a formidable force to back him up.

But who knows, Cameron and I are going to some college tournaments pretty much as a two man team, and Tommy, Cameron, and I (no others yet), are going to VCU practices with greats such as Matt Weiner, Evan Adams, and the One and Only Exalted George Berry. Everyone in the Gov program is going to get better, and honestly, I dont really think too many teams in the country will be able to beat us on a consistent basis.

I hope you are being facetious Quint, or you can add one more person to your "pissed off" list.

With the kind of attitude I am sensing in this post, I can pretty much guarantee we will NOT win nationals in 2010.

For one thing, there has been no decision on future A team members. Any player who would get "pissed off" for not playing on a certain team might want to quit the team now. They obviously have little respect for their coach or for their teammates.

Secondly, boasting about some future unrealized accomplishments is unseemly, and rather stupid.
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

I wrote:I won't even talk about 2010, they might as well just give us our trophies now.
THAT was facetious. Obviously, no one knows who is going to win in 2010. But, I think that, as of now, Gov is the favorite to win. However, the same thing happenned with Dorman this year, and obviously, we actually have to beat teams to win.

However, the rest of the post was serious. Anyone who believes that they worked hard enough to be on A team and is a good enough player to do so would be "pissed off" if they weren't picked because the teams had alredy been decided. I'm not saying ours are, because if Dr. Barnes says they aren't, then they aren't. But if someone is mad about not being on a team on which they think they deserve to be, they shouldn't "quit the team now". I really don't understand how someone like Dr. Barnes could say that to somebody.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
Xerxes
Lulu

Post by Xerxes »

wowitsquinthaha wrote: I won't even talk about 2010, they might as well just give us our trophies now.
That was arrogant. Aarcoh was right. Some teams improve PHENOMENALLY from sophomore to senior year, and I don't doubt that many teams will put in that same kind of effort.
Last edited by Xerxes on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Hey Quint, carry on this discussion with Dr. Barnes off the boards, please.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:
I wrote: But if someone is mad about not being on a team on which they think they deserve to be, they shouldn't "quit the team now". I really don't understand how someone like Dr. Barnes could say that to somebody.
Well, I have not said that to anybody yet. But, if a team is picked in good faith by a coach who has the best interest of the team as a whole, and with consultation with the members of the team, and then someone gets all "pissed off", then yeah, at that time I might suggest to that person that that person may not be interested in the team, and may be more interested in themselves, and probably should just leave the team. I would hope that before someone had such a tantrum they would discuss their feelings with me and make their case as to why the team makeup should be different.

Because we have so many good young players in the pipeline, I would be crazy to lock in a team this early. We have been playing around with some ideas. But, I get new data almost everyday about how people are playing. The nationals were quite informative in that regard. I have seen players make amazing progress in a short period of time, as in over a summer, for example. We also may have incoming Freshmen that are amazing. I will say that seniority will no longer be a major part of my decision-making process in most situations. We most likely will try different combinations during the year to see which groups have the best chemistry and complementary knowledge, etc. Also, different tournament formats may favor certain players. I also would like to see us have two national caliber teams a la Dorman, where the A and B teams are both highly competitive and where being on a B team is not necessarily a source of shame and disappointment.

I know this is a comparison thread, but predicting two years ahead is a bit premature I believe. I am glad that Quint's statement was meant facetiously, and that he too recognized the absurdity of trying to predict two years down the road.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

BuzzerZen wrote:Hey Quint, carry on this discussion with Dr. Barnes off the boards, please.
Thank you.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

aestheteboy wrote:Yeah, it's not often that you can predict two seasons in the future, but in this case I can say that I like Gov's chances in the year 2010. I mean, there were absolutely no noticeable sophomores this year except for the Gov group. It's kind of weird (was it the first time in HSNCT history that none of the top 25 were underclassmen?), but it certainly bodes well for Gov.
RM has a decent sophomore and freshman in the pipeline, but neither was at Nationals (along with the rest of the team), so there was no chance to make an impact. However, seeing as we do not currently even have a coach for next year, I am not going to start taking Quint down for the 2010 title.
Keith Jamieson
Richard Montgomery High School
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:Hmm, who knows. At this point in time, Greg is the only one who can consistently score in like the 70s/80s. Tommy and I both put up like 45/50 and Sarah and Cameron both do around 30/35 (from PACE). But sometimes Tommy will put up 100 points in one game, and 0 in the next. Its the same for pretty much everyone on our team, we as a whole are pretty inconsistent (besides Greg). That's something we definitely need to work on, becoming more consistent. Hopefully, and probably, that problem will work itself out as we expand our knowledge bases.
The Gov B that we played at PACE was good. It's still hard to believe that Tommy is a freshman, he is good at powering stuff I've never heard of- but despite knowing some crazy things, Gov B still seemed a bit inconsistent on some simpler things. I think next year's Gov will be stronger than this year's; they have a lot of sophomore and freshmen talent right now and it will take them far in the next few years.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013