Illinois '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

RSido wrote:You mean the hyoid.
of course Robert would know that.

Apologies for the unnecessarily high scores and sometimes insultingly easy bonuses, but we had to cater to everyone in the state at this stage of the tournament. I can assure you that Masonic State becomes more difficult.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

New Trier beat Fremd in the 2nd match despite going in to the last question five points down. We then built early leads over Maine South and Stevenson on our way to the title.

A lot of good questions, but there were too many errors. Fortunately, there were enough math teachers around and all the coaches at our site took things in stride.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Auburn over Winnebago in the finals out here, Boylan over Woodstock for 3rd, Rockford East over Rockton Hononegah for consolation.
theguy914
Lulu

Post by theguy914 »

I'm new to the website and from a small school in southern illinois. I relize most of you on here aren't the biggest fans of us southern schools, but I do however have the results from our carlinville sectional today.

1. litchfield
2. southwestern
3. marquette
c. auburn
4. bunker hill

the seeds were "randomly" drawn and the two best teams played each other in the semifinal match. litchfield beat southwestern 220-90 in the championship and we(marquette) won 225-50 in the 3rd place match.
I realize we probably had the easiest regional in the state and I agree with most of you on here that once to state the tougher sectionals should not play each other until the final four. Maybe something like seed the sectionals from the performance of the team from their sectional in the previous year. I do however think that there has to be some geography involved in the regionals. I also disagree with the breaking up of it into small and big school regionals when all of the teams are competing for the same championship.

complaints on my regional

1. the random draw of seeds. the top 3 teams received 1st, 3rd, and consolation due to this. Could someone tell me if all regionals are done this way.

2. maybe I am ignorant, but could you please tell me why fusion is not an appropriate answer for a phase change from a solid to a liquid.

3. one question asked for the derivative of x times e^2x is the answer not e^2x+ 2xe^2x. they had the answer as xe^2x+2xe^2x.
theguy914
Lulu

Post by theguy914 »

I was wondering is someone could try to post scores from the tournament so I could see if our scores compared at all to the other schools scores. we scored over 200 every matct, but one. I realize the chicago suburbs scores will be much higher.

I worded my third complaint poorly. the first answer is what i put the second answer is what the "correct" answer was.

also the prompt for the phase change bonus was incorrect as it said going from a liquid to a gas is boiling as an example of a phase chang which is technically wrong that should be vaporization. not that this matters...
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

As a native Southern Illinoisan (and former coach of a school in those parts), let me extend a warm welcome to you. I don't know how to explain it away, but the Chicagoland schools, particularly western to northern suburbs, feel the world of Illinois scholsatic bowl revolves around them. And to a large degree, it does, since a competitive tournament on any given weekend is <50 miles away. Southern Illinois, on the other hand, has, comparatively speaking, a tiny handful of teams that could possibly be considered strong in any given year. Without a competitive field to match up against on a regular basis, it's tough to improve (which is why I'd love my middle school to leave our conference, but I digress). I believe this is why you see Carbondale travel to some of the major tournaments up north... Sometimes the chatter gets carried away with people demanding statewide seeding, which would just be an absolute fiasco.
Don't take anything personally that's said on these boards, and know that most people (I don't know if I speak for TEgan :wink: ) would be interested in hearing more about the happenings of tournaments in southern Illinois.
theguy914 wrote:I'm new to the website and from a small school in southern illinois. I relize most of you on here aren't the biggest fans of us southern schools, but I do however have the results from our carlinville sectional today.

1. litchfield
2. southwestern
3. marquette
c. auburn
4. bunker hill

the seeds were "randomly" drawn and the two best teams played each other in the semifinal match. litchfield beat southwestern 220-90 in the championship and we(marquette) won 225-50 in the 3rd place match.
I realize we probably had the easiest regional in the state and I agree with most of you on here that once to state the tougher sectionals should not play each other until the final four. Maybe something like seed the sectionals from the performance of the team from their sectional in the previous year. I do however think that there has to be some geography involved in the regionals. I also disagree with the breaking up of it into small and big school regionals when all of the teams are competing for the same championship.

complaints on my regional

1. the random draw of seeds. the top 3 teams received 1st, 3rd, and consolation due to this. Could someone tell me if all regionals are done this way.

2. maybe I am ignorant, but could you please tell me why fusion is not an appropriate answer for a phase change from a solid to a liquid.

3. one question asked for the derivative of x times e^2x is the answer not e^2x+ 2xe^2x. they had the answer as xe^2x+2xe^2x.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

theguy914 wrote:I relize most of you on here aren't the biggest fans of us southern schools, but I do however have the results from our carlinville sectional today.
Thanks for posting the results! I know a lot of people (me too) are interested in the results from any and everywhere.

As for not the biggest fans of southern Illinois ...... that may not quite be true. I can be more guilty than average of painting with a broad brush, but deep down I know that team from further south have immense budgetary issues, and transportation issues that a lot of us p north normally take for granted.

theguy914 wrote:1. the random draw of seeds. the top 3 teams received 1st, 3rd, and consolation due to this. Could someone tell me if all regionals are done this way.
Some were even worse .... You might have read above that New Trier and Fremd opened in the first round. Fremd and New Trier are two top flight teams. I'm not sure if I would say for certain they were the top two teams in the sectional, but they might have been. I was at Wheaton-Warrenville South today, and I think they were lucky that all three of the top teams made the final four. Naperville North lost to Wheaton North, while Wheaton-Warrenville South lost in the finals. This may have been one of the few finals where that worked out.
theguy914 wrote:2. maybe I am ignorant, but could you please tell me why fusion is not an appropriate answer for a phase change from a solid to a liquid.
I am a physics teacher of over ten years, nad have taught chemistry. I have never heard of "melting" and "fusion" as being synonymous. I have to tell you, if I were moderating, unless I oculd find a source, I'm not sure I would have accepted that either. I cuold be wrng, but that's my experience.
theguy914 wrote:3. one question asked for the derivative of x times e^2x is the answer not e^2x+ 2xe^2x. they had the answer as xe^2x+2xe^2x.
We got stuck there for a moment today. The bold faced answer was correct, but the "alternative" answer ws incorrect.

>>inserts boots into stirrups, and pulls himself on to the tall horse<<

Sadly, I see too few moderators who don't know the rules, and sadly not enough coaches who know the rules to do the right thing. A good coach should have stopped the match, should have asked the moderator to have a player perform the problem on the board, and asked for a judgement. Coaches need to know that there are times when you need to stop the match, and ask the moderator to consider logic. Even if a moderator knows nothing of math, they cna at least ask the other team "is there anything wrong with what they did?" .... chances are, if they know the work is right, they will say nothing.

Moderators & coaches who used the time honored tradition of "we have to go with what is on the page" are not doing anyone a favor but themselves. Have faith in the players.

>>dismounting high horse<<
>>feeding high horse oats<<
>>putting high horse to bed with a warm horse blanket<<
Last edited by Tegan on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

I was in the room with a rather large mixup on that particular question to decide the Consolation championship between Moline and Dixon. I must say that the situation was handled RIDICULOUSLY. Why are we spending time bullying the moderator to go look for a math teacher? From what I've learned, you either go with what's on the paper and count it incorrect, or you throw the question out and get a new one. As much as the boy was correct, way too much time was spent on arguing over it.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
patjm6163
Lulu

Post by patjm6163 »

theguy914 wrote:
Fusion itself would require a prompt. If the moderator was knowledgeable in chemistry, and you had said something on the basis of " [latent] heat of fusion" or "enthalpy of fusion", that would have been correct. Just saying fusion implies the the physics fusion as in combining atomic nuclei.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

mlaird wrote:
RSido wrote:You mean the hyoid.
of course Robert would know that.
Eagle-eyed observers will understand why New Trier should never get such a question wrong [again], especially in a Masonic match against Maine South.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

crobbins52:

What you experienced happens because no one can have knowledge of every subject (although we librarians come close :grin: ). Many veteran coaches have learned to trust each other (I would never argue a math question because I can barely add two numbers together) and "go with what's on the page" was removed from the rules ages ago. Many coaches still try to use this ploy, but keep in mind that an increasing number of us are on to them.

Given that it was a math question, if I were the moderator I would have asked the team in question to demonstrate it on the board. If they did so successfully, I would have accepted the answer. Otherwise, I would have looked for a math teacher as well.
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Thanks for a response. I kind of forgot to ask "What's in the rules about this" and you answered what I wanted to know about it. I just thought the time that was taken bickering about it was stupid. Also, we lost and it came down to that question being important. But, oh well. They got it fair and square and they were smart kids. I just thought that there was a fair amount of hair splitting and douchebaggery going on, though technically correct it was (the best kind of correct, according to Bureaucrats).
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Also, I just want to throw in that I don't ever think a question should be replaced unless there was a moderator error (like he accidentally read the answer). Other then that, either the answer is right or wrong, and i have no problem with allowing a protest to go all the way through for something. If a team scores the points with a right answer then the get the points, they don't not get the points and get read a replacement.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theguy914
Lulu

Post by theguy914 »

we were also angry because they accidently used the wrong set of questions when litchfield and us played and they avoided telling us because we lost adn we just found out by word of mouth from another team. they told us everything was fine, but then there was a 20 min delay b4 the 3rd place match b/c they had to use an extra set of questions. I'm not making excuses , but it did happen to be the only match where we didn't know a majority of the questions.
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Since we only played three rounds today (ah the joys of alternating scheduling) , I can only comment on those.

First, the questions were overall very good, and spectacular relative to normal masonic. This was a great undertaking by Aegis, and I am very grateful for it. I look forward for State. Perhaps the nicest feeling was knowing the distribution was going to be standard, because that variability has been in the past one of the hardest things to deal with.

We also had insanely high conversion. The answer space I think was intentionally very narrow. This is alright. It just made for some easy early buzzes if you knew the likely answers available to you. I didn't mind this too much, b/c as Matt said they had to cater to everyone.

The errors (mostly math computation or repeated parts) were obvious enough in the rounds we played that they were corrected. It seems in other regionals, there was some miscarriage of moderator justice. Obviously, moderator stupidity (what's on the paper crap) is not the writer's fault. But fewer errors of course means fewer opportunities for said crap.

I have an extremely nit-picky aside. On prompting directions: assuming our moderator followed the correct minimum needed information, IQ required a prompt (intelligence quotient), whereas NRA (new deal not guns) and Gershwin (george not ira) did not. Isn't this inconsistent? The former needs no extra information to eliminate ambiguity, the latter two did. This might end up as a theory question, but should all acronyms be a required prompt for expansion? I can't imagine so. What's the test then? I understand that prompting issues are some of the most difficult to find a clear cut answer, that's why I'm not complaining, but enquiring.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I forget the exact wording of the question, but if it asked for compoers, Gershwin is fine as George was the composer and Ira was the lyricist.

P.S. Can he say douchebaggery on a public forum?
--Stewie Griffin
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

pasedpawn wrote:I have an extremely nit-picky aside. On prompting directions: assuming our moderator followed the correct minimum needed information, IQ required a prompt (intelligence quotient), whereas NRA (new deal not guns) and Gershwin (george not ira) did not. Isn't this inconsistent? The former needs no extra information to eliminate ambiguity, the latter two did. This might end up as a theory question, but should all acronyms be a required prompt for expansion? I can't imagine so. What's the test then? I understand that prompting issues are some of the most difficult to find a clear cut answer, that's why I'm not complaining, but enquiring.
I don't think it is nitpicky (as in, addressing how our rules should handle this). I found myself asking the same question yesterday.

Perhaps we need to come up with a list of common acronyms that can have alternative meanings, and put them in the appendix of the case manual. For what its worth, when I was at the University of Chicago, I saw two collegiate players that were using uor appendix to study differentiations. And I thought that maybe the time had come to just get rid of it.
the return of AHAN
Auron

David Riley wrote:P.S. Can he say douchebaggery on a public forum?
--Stewie Griffin
Gosh, I hope so. I had just added it to my scholastic bowl lexicon. I was even working on a complete definition and ways to use it in a sentence, in the hope of adding it to the Scripps-Howard 2009 Paideia.

I try really hard not to internalize what happens in matches, but something occasionally gets through, like a mod not accepting 'Chunnel' for 'Channel Tunnel'... or a mod not accepting "1.8C + 32 = F" because the printed answer was "F = 9/5C + 32". I was so focused on the fact we gave the decimal equivalent that I was unready for her response of 'he didn't give C' AND the opposing coach backing her up, which my player only later claimed he did.
Of course, it's hard to jump the mods when the Q's are just flat wrong like a few questions from a set Daniel Wright used at our latest beat-down at their hands... ie.."Youngest man ever elected POTUS" printed answer: Teddy Roosevelt, which obviously confused my team when JFK was ruled incorrect. I thought maybe I just misheard it...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Masonic State qualifiers have been posted:

http://home.mchsi.com/~thayerdale/#Stat ... Qualifiers
Stained Diviner
Auron

In bracket order:
New Trier vs Wheaton North
Auburn vs Bloomington
Sterling vs Bradley-Bourbonnais
Peoria Christian vs Riverdale
Springfield vs O'Fallon
Jamaica vs Carbondale
Decatur Lutheran vs Fairfield
Litchfield vs PORTA
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

That's ridiculous enough that I almost want to swear and get banned.
the return of AHAN
Auron

cornfused wrote:That's ridiculous enough that I almost want to swear and get banned.
What would drive me bananas is being one of two suburban schools (NT or WN) driving all the way to Exit 88, knowing someone's viable hopes are certainly dashed in the first round, while teams that simply can't compete with AA schools like Peoria Christian and Riverdale are slugging it out in another room. :sad:
I mean, if they want to reward a small, southern school for scholastic bowl excellence, such as Fairfield or PORTA, they really should just do a separate small school tournament as opposed to this 'geographical' set-up. Of course, I think this is all a conspiracy designed to make Tom Egan call the IHSA tournament set-up ingenious and reasonable!
So 16 teams... Can I assume all 1st round losers move to the consolation bracket? So, what happens to the 2nd round losers in the winners bracket? I mean, let's say NT falls to WN, and Auburn defeats Bloomington...while in round 2, WN loses to Auburn and Bloomington falls to NT. Do WN & Bloomington go home after two games, while NT plays in the consolation bracket until losing again, if at all?
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

On the plus side, everyone who qualified for Masonic states qualified for PACE. So you got that going for you.

Which is nice.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stained Diviner
Auron

First and second round losers move to the consolation bracket. In the 2nd round, the NT/WN winner will play the RA/BHS winner, with the winner of that match in the Final Four and the loser going into the consolation bracket, starting with the winner of SHS/OHS loser vs JHS/CHS loser. The NT/WN loser will play the RA/BHS loser, with the loser of that match done for the day and the winner going on to face the loser of SHS/OHS winner vs JHS/CHS winner. If you go to the consolation bracket, you may end up playing a total of five matches, whereas it only takes four wins to be the State Champ. If you win the first two matches and lose the third, you go to the 3rd Place Match rather than the consolation bracket.
theguy914
Lulu

Post by theguy914 »

that bracket is rediculous. I agree if they want to do that they need to make a seperate class A and double AA tournament.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

leftsaidfred wrote:On the plus side, everyone who qualified for Masonic states qualified for PACE. So you got that going for you.

Which is nice.
My opinion: only 6 of those 16 teams would win one match at PACE. Three of those would be hard pressed to win one or two matches at most. The others are going to have a good time until they run into the survivor of New Trier/Wheaton North/Auburn ..... I suspect that this will be Springfield

One of NT-WN-Aub will be in the consolation after round 1, the other at the end of round 2. The survivor will be assured of winning, barring some unforeseen catastrophe.

Stevenson, Fremd, Wheaton-Warrenville South, Naperville North, Fenwick, Maine South, Deerfield, Latin, Loyola would easily have a far better chance of winning matches at PACE than all the three teams noted above that won their sectionals (and I am likely leaving out even more teams like Naperville Central, IMSA, Lincoln-Way East, Oak Park River Forest, Lake Forest, Libertyville, Conant, Hoffman Estates ......

just to name a few......
JackGlerum
Tidus

This Saturday

Post by JackGlerum »

Is there a link for the team list/schedule for U of I NAQT?
Stained Diviner
Auron

JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Thanks!
David Riley
Auron

Re: Illinois '07-'08

Post by David Riley »

Thanks to the U of I Academic Buzzer Team for hosting this year's NAQT State Qualifier. We had a great time, and the questions were good [discussion of specific naqt questions from this year redacted]. Congrats to Auburn on their first-place win.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

I think this is right...

1. Auburn (8-0)
2. Loyola (7-1)
3. Carbondale (6-2)
4. New Trier (5-3)
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

I'll echo Mr. Riley. I was very happy especially with the moderating. Only one round I believe we didn't hear 24. This is only the third timed tournament I've been to, (HSNCT 07, wildcat 07), but I think that was still the first time that happened with me.
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

BG def.Fremd 215-120 in the MSL championship
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

JohnGlerum wrote:I think this is right...

1. Auburn (8-0)
2. Loyola (7-1)
3. Carbondale (6-2)
4. New Trier (5-3)

That is indeed correct. Full stats will be up as soon as my stats keeper can do it, hopefully.

I would again like to thank every team who came to play, and wish the best of luck to each in the state series!
James Sanner
UIUC Academic Buzzer Team
Secretary of Minivan Operations
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

the return of AHAN
Auron

BGSO wrote:BG def.Fremd 215-120 in the MSL championship
Congrats to Buffalo Grove! Any idea how the frosh/soph championship played out?
Jeff Price
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

what's the MSL championship?
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Mid Suburban League conference. Fremd, Buffalo Grove, Conant, Hersey, etc.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

BarringtonJP wrote:
BGSO wrote:BG def.Fremd 215-120 in the MSL championship
Congrats to Buffalo Grove! Any idea how the frosh/soph championship played out?
Fremd won by alot

315-105ish somewhere in that neighborhood
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Soo...does anybody have any information with regards to Dekalb and Burlington Central? As in, are they good teams?
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

crobbins52 wrote:Soo...does anybody have any information with regards to Dekalb and Burlington Central? As in, are they good teams?
Haven't seen DeKalb, but they're not perennially good or anything. I've seen quite a lot of Central this year, having moderated for their conference. They're a decent team, but nothing spectacular. They went 12-2 in the conference, including 1-1 against Winnebago and 0-1 against Byron (the only other good teams in the conference)

I am 95% sure they've only played their conference games and haven't gone to Saturday tournaments like Dixon has. Given that Big Northern Conference uses the crappiest one-line tossups imaginable, they probably aren't going to adjust well to the IHSA's questions.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

So hopefully we have an actual chance in our regional...until we play Sterling :) I'd like to beat them just once.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
Golran
Auron

Re:

Post by Golran »

theguy914 wrote: 3. one question asked for the derivative of x times e^2x is the answer not e^2x+ 2xe^2x. they had the answer as xe^2x+2xe^2x.
Neither of those is correct.

By product rule:
1*e^2x + x*2xe^2x = e^2x+x^2e^2x
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Re: Re:

Post by Wall of Ham »

dinoian wrote:
theguy914 wrote: 3. one question asked for the derivative of x times e^2x is the answer not e^2x+ 2xe^2x. they had the answer as xe^2x+2xe^2x.
Neither of those is correct.

By product rule:
1*e^2x + x*2xe^2x = e^2x+x^2e^2x
No, he had it right.

d/dx( xe^(2x)) = e^(2x) + 2xe^(2x)
Barry
Cornell
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Regionals are Tuesday!

Any predictions? I predict that four of the following five teams will win their regionals: Loyola Academy, Maine South, New Trier, Oak Park-River Forest, Rockford Lutheran.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the host team wins all four regionals in the Zion-Benton and Maine South sectionals, and maybe a few more.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Well, "Fred",

The Maine South team is a decided underdog against Lake Forest ...... LF was 21-3 at last look .... not sure how they figured after that.

New Trier will win ..... given. They have never lost a regional as far as I can tell.

OPRF had a very strong record, and so its no stretch to predict that. Loyola and Fenwick should make for a good tussle. Loyola has looked exceptional as of late.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Post by Matt Bardoe »

In the Z-B and Maine South sectionals, I suspect that Carmel in the Fremd regional will be the only non-home team winner . My only other prediction is that Sidell Jamaica Coop will win its regional, despite not being ranked for the third straight time.
Stained Diviner
Auron

New Trier once lost a Regional Final to Loyola. It was back when the top two teams in Regional advanced, so it wasn't a big deal, other than the fact that it always hurts our feelings when we lose to Loyola.

Wheaton North was ahead after 19 questions against New Trier, but New Trier pulled it out. Wheaton North was ahead after 19 questions against Bloomington, but Bloomington pulled it out. WN was 70-0, is 70-2. After beating Wheaton North, New Trier lost to Auburn and Springfield in its next two matches. Anybody know how it all turned out?
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

ReinsteinD wrote: Wheaton North was ahead after 19 questions against Bloomington, but Bloomington pulled it out. New Trier lost to Springfield.
I did NOT see that coming.

My picking Maine South over Lake Forest is for format reasons: Lake Forest has 0 tourney top-4s on pyramidal questions to Maine South's 1, as far as I know. Plus, I know half a player on the Lake Forest team and five on Maine South - when making a pick, I'm going to vote for the people I know can answer questions instead of the people that might - just might - be better.

Plus, I'm saving the whole pick-one-team and root-for-the-other thing for the NCAA tourney.
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
actoftheapostle
Lulu

Post by actoftheapostle »

1. Rockford Auburn
2. Carbondale
3. Sterling