Illinois '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

gack1224 wrote:Well, throughout the day, it was VERY VERY difficult to answer ANY of the computational math questions. Even though there were given ways of solving them, most people got the answer too late (probably could have done it in a minute). All in all the physics and calculus questions were difficult except when they were almost a little easy (friction and inertia).

The world history ones were alright, but my team thought there were too many Russians.

The bonus questions were good overall. However, there were some that were way too easy and slanted the round. For example, the MLB playoffs bonus questions were an EASY 20 points. Same thing with the iPod question.

Good questions overall, but maybe a little more variety. I'd rather be asked to name generals than name the forts in certain states.
I thought the computational math was right on target. I think one of the good things about Aegis is many of its writers have been players recently enough that they know what is and isn't doable in thirty seconds.

I don't know enough world history to contribute my thoughts on that matter, although I don't recall noticing an undue amount of Russia-related stuff.

I don't recall an iPod bonus, but I do agree that the MLB playoff one and the Taylor series one (which, incidentally, should've instead referenced Maclaurin series or said 'centered at zero') were either going to be 0 or 20 points for the team. No one is going to know enough to get some of them but not enough to get them all.

In general, I thought the questions were very well-written and well-selected, although I would agree that the questions about inertia and friction were a little easier than I'd expect noncomputational physics questions to be. In any case, thanks to Aegis for their part in a great tournament.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

jonah wrote:
gack1224 wrote:Well, throughout the day, it was VERY VERY difficult to answer ANY of the computational math questions. Even though there were given ways of solving them, most people got the answer too late (probably could have done it in a minute). All in all the physics and calculus questions were difficult except when they were almost a little easy (friction and inertia).

The world history ones were alright, but my team thought there were too many Russians.

The bonus questions were good overall. However, there were some that were way too easy and slanted the round. For example, the MLB playoffs bonus questions were an EASY 20 points. Same thing with the iPod question.

Good questions overall, but maybe a little more variety. I'd rather be asked to name generals than name the forts in certain states.
I thought the computational math was right on target. I think one of the good things about Aegis is many of its writers have been players recently enough that they know what is and isn't doable in thirty seconds.

I don't know enough world history to contribute my thoughts on that matter, although I don't recall noticing an undue amount of Russia-related stuff.

I don't recall an iPod bonus, but I do agree that the MLB playoff one and the Taylor series one (which, incidentally, should've instead referenced Maclaurin series or said 'centered at zero') were either going to be 0 or 20 points for the team. No one is going to know enough to get some of them but not enough to get them all.

In general, I thought the questions were very well-written and well-selected, although I would agree that the questions about inertia and friction were a little easier than I'd expect noncomputational physics questions to be. In any case, thanks to Aegis for their part in a great tournament.
Having moderated at Sterling and written some of the questions, I'll throw my opinions in on computational math.

The computational math pretty much destroyed every team except Sterling and Byron (who both feature established math players). In 8 rounds, I never saw a converted probability question. People seemed genuinely happy when they got a math tossup correct.

I'm going to say this right now, having written some of the math questions used and being capable of writing those I did not - there are many teams that are downright incapable of quizbowl math. One playoff team was unable to convert "probability of rolling a 10, 11, or 12" in 30 seconds. Teams heard "Calculus, computational" and I heard 10 pencils hit the desk, and when the tossup gave easier clues, no one picked them back up (I'm looking at you, my volume of a cone tossup that I could've sworn would get solved). There are teams with experienced math players. There are teams with math players that are just now getting into calculus. There are teams with no math ability whatsoever. My experience at Sterling shows a horrifying majority in the third category. I wasn't at Wheaton North - I hope (with a good amount of positive confidence) that they were better received in Wheaton.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

styxman wrote:My experience at Sterling shows a horrifying majority in the third category. I wasn't at Wheaton North - I hope (with a good amount of positive confidence) that they were better received in Wheaton.

It was pretty much the same up here ..... except when I moderated in matches with Wheaton North, and the category was "math", only nine pencils hit the desk.

I believe the tenth person never even used a pencil.

Seriously, I am going to say it: OVERALL, the talent in Illinois this year is far less than in the past few years. I'm not saying there is no talent .... there is talent, but it is not on par with the past few years.

I am not surprised to hear that there were that many problems with the questions ..... not because the questions were bad (they weren't), nor that they were surrealistically tough (they weren't), but the current crop of players has to step up to the plate.

To quote our favroite Kentucky Colonel: If they should know it, and they aren't willing to learn it, then they kind of get what is coming to them.

I'm going to admit something I really shouldn't: I get a kind of warm fuzzy feeling in my heart when I moderate for two teams who make it to State, clearly shouldn't be there, and I see them sit there and feel bad about themselves because they cannot work a basic derivative, or they don't know a few basic Shakespeare characters. They get used to doing 7th grade questions really good, and then get embarassed when the questions reach the high school level. I would feel better if they get the questions, but after earning spots at state based on being the one-eye person in the land of the blind, I am glad to see them get a little just desserts.

Of course, they then complain about the questions being too tough, so that they can feel better about themselves.

End of rant.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Tegan wrote:Seriously, I am going to say it: OVERALL, the talent in Illinois this year is far less than in the past few years. I'm not saying there is no talent .... there is talent, but it is not on par with the past few years.

I am not surprised to hear that there were that many problems with the questions ..... not because the questions were bad (they weren't), nor that they were surrealistically tough (they weren't), but the current crop of players has to step up to the plate.

To quote our favroite Kentucky Colonel: If they should know it, and they aren't willing to learn it, then they kind of get what is coming to them.

I'm going to admit something I really shouldn't: I get a kind of warm fuzzy feeling in my heart when I moderate for two teams who make it to State, clearly shouldn't be there, and I see them sit there and feel bad about themselves because they cannot work a basic derivative, or they don't know a few basic Shakespeare characters. They get used to doing 7th grade questions really good, and then get embarassed when the questions reach the high school level. I would feel better if they get the questions, but after earning spots at state based on being the one-eye person in the land of the blind, I am glad to see them get a little just desserts.

Of course, they then complain about the questions being too tough, so that they can feel better about themselves.

End of rant.
Post of the year.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

David Riley wrote:Hmmm, my perception was that the variety was pretty good. Of course, if people used my subject guide as an outline, we'd know for sure. :grin:
Coach Riley's distribution (as he wrote down once, and I stole from his desk at Loyola):

10% - Hungarian composers that don't start with "L"
10 % - Hapsburg family history
5 % - Hungarian geography
4% - other geography
15% - library science
20% - books that no one under 45 has read unless it was for a PhD thesis
35% - baroque opera
30% - general opera
2 % - pop culture (pre-1940 only)
3% - Hungarian cuisine
10% - famous Kentuckians
15% - Georgian architecture
13% - Antebellum American history (that is, before the War of Northern Agression)
6% - questions pertaining to Ignatius Loyola :cool:

Obviously, math is not a component of this distribution
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Liar!

My distribution is available for anyone who wants it.

And that's not the War of Northern Agression, it's the Late Unpleasantness.
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

One thing I will say about the math computation is that some (at least the related rates one) of the calculus problems were a little compacted into the 30 seconds.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Tegan wrote:I believe the tenth person never even used a pencil.
I wonder how he would fare if he went to Florida by himself.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

As the author of the offending forts bonus, I will take full blame. It shouldn't have made it there, but I was absolutely out of Geography ideas, and well, that's what happens when I'm out of ideas.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

When I'm out of ideas (see above), I always revert to African or Asian capitals. :grin:
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

David Riley wrote:When I'm out of ideas (see above), I always revert to African or Asian capitals. :grin:
From the Riley written Ultima 04:

Identify the nation whose capital is ....

A. Ouagodougou
B. Djibouti
C. Brazzaville
D. Frankfort
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Well, since you asked:

1. Burkina Faso
2. Djibouti
3. Congo, and. . .

4. is the sovereign state of KAIN-TUCKY!!! YEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

David Riley wrote:3. Congo, and. . .
Neener neener. Prompt on Part III.
JohnGlerum wrote:I wonder how he would fare if he went to Florida by himself.
With all due respect to Greg, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

If Brazzaville is the clue, then why prompt on Part III? That other one is called Democratic Republic of the Congo, the former French colony is either just Congo or Congo (Brazzaville).
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

cornfused wrote:
JohnGlerum wrote:I wonder how he would fare if he went to Florida by himself.
With all due respect to Greg, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...
I think my theory for his success at Solo would mesh well with success at Panasonic - he is good for 90% of the math, uncontested, and at this point he is a top contender for other subjects. If, in a room with five or eight other competitors, he gets 90% of the math and is an equal force to contend for other subjects, he'll romp. In one-on-one, non-math questions are all answered by one person, rather than divided between 8 people. This explains how he made top two all three years in the finals and why he came up short in three Solo morning matches (me as a sophomore, Rob Sale (I think) as a sophomore, and Siva as a senior) - he wasn't an equal force at non-math subjects there.

So, at Panasonic, if there are five teams in the room, and no one team gets all the non-math... I think he could do well solo.

Of course, with teammates it'd be stronger, as evidenced by the national championship last year.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

David Riley wrote:If Brazzaville is the clue, then why prompt on Part III? That other one is called Democratic Republic of the Congo, the former French colony is either just Congo or Congo (Brazzaville).
Or the more correct "Republic of the Congo".
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Yeah, I learned it as Congo Republic or Republic of the Congo.

As for Greg... he DIDN'T get 90% of the math at Panasonic. Team Illinois's math dominance was because of Greg, Carlo, Justin, and me. Is he very, very, good? Yes. Is he God? No. He's not even Chuck Norris.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Chuck Norris? That makes for an interetting mental picture . .
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

cornfused wrote:Is he very, very, good? Yes. Is he God? No.
Well, there go my aspirations to found a new religion.

Seriously, though, most of the math questions were highly doable in 30 seconds. They were all on topics covered in typical high school math courses, and I would argue that most were doable in 15 seconds. If you want computational math questions--which is debatable, but Illinois apparently does--then you should be able to solve very basic probability problems.

That being said, I too would like to hear any input about our questions, math-related or not.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

cornfused wrote:As for Greg... he DIDN'T get 90% of the math at Panasonic.
Yeah, the 90% is based on the math and competition at Solo. At Panasonic, with something around 20 other players on other teams - not to mention teammates, of course - the math percentage is likely smaller.
leapfrog314 wrote:Seriously, though, most of the math questions were highly doable in 30 seconds. They were all on topics covered in typical high school math courses, and I would argue that most were doable in 15 seconds. If you want computational math questions--which is debatable, but Illinois apparently does--then you should be able to solve very basic probability problems.

That being said, I too would like to hear any input about our questions, math-related or not.
One complaint on the math that I've heard is the bonus on coordinate conversion. The first two were standard (polar/rect. and rect./polar) that I was surprised to see go dead in my room. #3 was cylindrical/rectangular, which I didn't consider that much of a stretch - a cylinder is just a circle with a height component, so it's rational to think that if you know polar/rect., you can get cylindrical. Number 4 involved spherical, which I've never seen but might come up in the more advanced math classes.

The argument I've heard is that cylindrical and spherical coordinates are entirely too hard and simply unsuitable. My opinion - the fourth part of a bonus is supposed to be hard, and I'm 99% sure this was a playoff packet, so even moreso on the difficulty. Discuss?
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

styxman wrote:#3 was cylindrical/rectangular, which I didn't consider that much of a stretch - a cylinder is just a circle with a height component, so it's rational to think that if you know polar/rect., you can get cylindrical. Number 4 involved spherical, which I've never seen but might come up in the more advanced math classes.
I never learned about cylindrical/spherical coordinates until Multivariable Calculus, which is offered in very few high schools in Illinois. I agree that that question is too difficult.

-Alejandro
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

NCRedhawks wrote:
styxman wrote:#3 was cylindrical/rectangular, which I didn't consider that much of a stretch - a cylinder is just a circle with a height component, so it's rational to think that if you know polar/rect., you can get cylindrical. Number 4 involved spherical, which I've never seen but might come up in the more advanced math classes.
I never learned about cylindrical/spherical coordinates until Multivariable Calculus, which is offered in very few high schools in Illinois. I agree that that question is too difficult.

-Alejandro
I acknowledge that many courses don't cover cylindrical and spherical coordinates (I learned about them in precalculus, but New Trier's precalc course is very different from most schools' courses.) However, by the same argument, no questions should've been asked about integrals (because even the BC Calculus courses, proceeding at a normal pace, would just be beginning integrals right now) or Taylor series (which are covered at the very end of the course) because the students have not yet learned them. Students who are taking a math course beyond Calculus BC as a senior are quite unusual, even in the quizbowl world, so I think it's necessary to accept that sometimes academic topics have to be learned for quizbowl before they'd be learned in class.

However, it might be argued that the spherical coordinate part was flawed in that two different coordinate systems are used to represent spherical coordinates: (rho, theta, phi) as well as (rho, phi, theta) where theta is the azimuthal angle and phi the zenith angle. In any case, I think that if the notational issue were resolved, the question would have been perfectly legitimate; performing the conversion requires only very basic trigonometry if you know what to do.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

jonah wrote:
NCRedhawks wrote:

-Alejandro
I acknowledge that many courses don't cover cylindrical and spherical coordinates (I learned about them in precalculus, but New Trier's precalc course is very different from most schools' courses.) However, by the same argument, no questions should've been asked about integrals (because even the BC Calculus courses, proceeding at a normal pace, would just be beginning integrals right now) or Taylor series (which are covered at the very end of the course) because the students have not yet learned them. Students who are taking a math course beyond Calculus BC as a senior are quite unusual, even in the quizbowl world, so I think it's necessary to accept that sometimes academic topics have to be learned for quizbowl before they'd be learned in class.

However, it might be argued that the spherical coordinate part was flawed in that two different coordinate systems are used to represent spherical coordinates: (rho, theta, phi) as well as (rho, phi, theta) where theta is the azimuthal angle and phi the zenith angle. In any case, I think that if the notational issue were resolved, the question would have been perfectly legitimate; performing the conversion requires only very basic trigonometry if you know what to do.
And so here's the rub - it's a simple arithmetic process if you know what to do. Where do we draw the line on what people know how to do? There are obviously some processes that are quizbowl canon that we expect players to know at any time in the year. No self-respecting coach would say that a junior math player shouldn't know integrals if their school doesn't teach calculus until senior year. Then again, I would say that cylindrical/spherical coordinates are not an established topic in said canon. Canon expansion is something should be trumpeted in the hard parts of a bonus in the playoff rounds of a tournament touted as revolutionary, and so I support the questions.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

jonah wrote:However, it might be argued that the spherical coordinate part was flawed in that two different coordinate systems are used to represent spherical coordinates: (rho, theta, phi) as well as (rho, phi, theta) where theta is the azimuthal angle and phi the zenith angle. In any case, I think that if the notational issue were resolved, the question would have been perfectly legitimate; performing the conversion requires only very basic trigonometry if you know what to do.
No. It doesn't matter what names you use for the coordinates. Just call them the radius, azimuthal angle, and colatitude angle (or whatever) or even define what they are. It's not just easy; it's the only way to write a well-posed question!

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

gack1224 wrote:Well, throughout the day, it was VERY VERY difficult to answer ANY of the computational math questions.
Here at Loyola, we don't believe in answering math questions.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnGlerum wrote:
gack1224 wrote:Well, throughout the day, it was VERY VERY difficult to answer ANY of the computational math questions.
Let me put it this way:

If you make 75.6 million dollars the first year, and inves the capital at a rate 4.5% annually, but your lawyer gets you out of paying 65% of the federal tax owed, how much money will you have after 2 years.

That's the kind of math the Gold Coast can handle, no?
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Tegan wrote:
JohnGlerum wrote:
Let me put it this way:

If you make 75.6 million dollars the first year, and inves the capital at a rate 4.5% annually, but your lawyer gets you out of paying 65% of the federal tax owed, how much money will you have after 2 years.

That's the kind of math the Gold Coast can handle, no?
I don't know, ask my accountant.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

My summation of the past 7 pages of "Illinois '07-'08":

1.) Jack Glerum says something inflammatory.
2.) Tom Egan makes a comment about Kenilworth.
3.) David Riley makes a comment about the South Side.
4.) Tom Egan makes a comment about Kentucky, Hungary or both.
5.) Talk about how non-pyramidals are hogwash and yet how most Illinois teams can't handle pyramidals.
6.) Jack Glerum says something inflammatory... etc.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Isn't that every Illinois thread?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

RSido
Lulu

Post by RSido »

Don't you have your *own* state to worry about Dees?

And that wasn't very inflammatory. I wonder if Egan will still mention Kenilworth anyway?
Robert Sido
New Trier '08, Delaware '12
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Bridgeport.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

mlaird wrote:My summation of the past 7 pages of "Illinois '07-'08":
insert some recaptiluation of the obvious
Charlie Dee From North K.C. wrote:Isn't that every Illinois thread?
maybe IN KENILWORTH it is.
JohnGlerum wrote:...
In silence, there is wisdom.
RSido wrote:Don't you have your *own* state to worry about Dees?
Considering that Laird is from Iowa and Riley is from Kentucky, I wouldn't go saying "stay in your own state" ...... besides, the last time someone posted along those lines .... a certain Loyolan (and we won't mention names) invoked the wrath of the Great and Powerful and Mystical Oz.
David Riley wrote: Bridgeport.
Louisville.

It ain't even a contest, Colonel. How many mares of Chicago have come from Louisville ....I would bet NONE ... so nyah!
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Tegan wrote:How many mares of Chicago have come from Louisville ....I would bet NONE ... so nyah!
Well, Kentucky-bred War Emblem won the Illinois Derby, but he was a stallion. Hmm... and Ruffian was Kentucky-bred, but generally only ran in New York.

So NONE, as far as I can tell...
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Well, remember, Kentucky is the home of corn-fed girls, fast horses, and wild women.

But given that Bourbon County is dry, and Christian County is wet, who knows?
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

David Riley wrote:Well, remember, Kentucky is the home of corn-fed girls, fast horses, and wild women.

But given that Bourbon County is dry, and Christian County is wet, who knows?
So what on Earth led you to go up to Illinois? :-)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

A job--by way of NY, IN, and MI.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Tegan wrote:a certain Loyolan invoked the wrath of the Great and Powerful and Mystical Oz.
Who is this Oz! Reveal yourself!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

David Riley wrote:A job--by way of NY,
as librarian in the Hungarian Embassy. He was fired after failing to lead an uprising of postal employees and Beatniks during Prague Spring.
David Riley wrote:IN,
Official librarian for the Indiana Hoosiers mens basketball team. He quit after he learned his main job was to identify the thickest volumes which Coach Knight could then hurl at people. Rarely known fact: the chair Coach Knight threw in his famous incident was actually Mr. Riley's chair .... he had just gotten up to get a copy of something by James Michener.
Mr. Riley also wrote some of Coach Knight's better known tirades, when the coach was hurting for good inspirational material. Some of these speeches are still reused to inspire Loyola Scholastic Bowl.
David Riley wrote:and MI.
Worked for two days in the tourism office in the early 1980s. Actually came up with the tourist slogan "Say yes to Michigan" and quit when he wasn't given credit.

Much of the rest of his life story was then sold as the television series Mr. Belvedere, though the character was changed from Kentucky-born librarian to English-born butler. The few who knew the truth noticed little difference.

Mr. Riley's original choice for his role was Chuck Norris, but he was already filming Missing in Action III Norris and Riley remain friends, with Riley being one of three people (along with Bob Barker and Eudora Welty) to be taught his patented double reverse roundhouse kick.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

If anyone cares, this is the field update for the Carmel varsity and frosh/soph tournaments to be held this Saturday, 12/1/08, as received from the Carmel coaches...
Current Frosh/Soph list:
1. Carmel
2. Culver Academies
3. Grayslake Central
4. Fenton
5. Fremd
6. St. Viator
7. Maine East
8. Timothy Christian
9. Lake Zurich
10. Libertyville
11. Zion Benton
12. Stevenson
13. IMSA
14. Rolling Meadows
15. St. Ignatius
16. Barrington
17. Wheaton North
18. Lake Forest
19. Cary Grove
20. St. Patrick
21. Mundelein
22. Fenwick
23. Prairie Ridge
24. Woodstock
25. Carmel B
26. Grayslake Central B
27. Fremd B
28. St. Viator B
29. Timothy Christian B
30. Lake Zurich B
If we have enough people to moderate we will add: Barrington B, Fenwick B, Culver B, Latin, Eisenhower, and an unnamed team.

Current Varsity List:
1. Carmel
2. Culver Academies
3. Grayslake Central
4. Fenton
5. Fremd
6. Maine East
7. Timothy Christian
8. Lake Zurich
9. Libertyville
10. Zion Benton
11. Wheaton Warrenville South
12. Stevenson
13. IMSA
14. Rolling Meadows
15. St. Ignatius
16. Wheaton North
17. Lake Forest
18. Cary Grove
19. St. Patrick
20. Mundelein
21. Fenwick
22. Wheaton Academy
23. Notre Dame
24. Palatine
25. Prairie Ridge
26. Woodstock
27. Kaneland
28. Lakes
29. Latin
30. Carmel B
31. Maine East B
32. Zion Benton B
33. Wheaton Warrenville South B
34. Culver Academies B
35. Wheaton North B
36. Fenwick B

If possible, we will add: Wheaton Academy B, Prairie Ridge B, Grayslake Central B, Fremd B, Timothy Christian B, Lake Zurich B,
---------------------------------
No Loyola? No New Trier? What up wit dat?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I thought about entering but decided not to when I realized that, with this year's team, I would be unable to get ten students to show up on any given Saturday.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

We are off for two weekends, as we host our middle school tournament this Saturday, and Laird's Davey and Goliath Throwdown on the 8th.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Rob Grierson just completed his 50th Newsletter. Members will get it soon. Also, coaches can now nominate students for Team Illinois.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

IHSSBCA Late November Coaches Poll

Post by Matt Bardoe »

Here is the most recent IHSSBCA Coaches Poll.
There seems to be strong support for Number 1 teams in both classes.

Class A (small schools) total pts mentions # of #1
1. Petersburg PORTA 29 3 2
2. Byron 19 3 0
2. Chicago Latin 19 3 1
4. Decatur Lutheran School Ass’n 18 3 0
5. Macomb 14 2 0
6. Sterling Newman 12 2 0
7. Taylor Ridge Rockridge 9 2 0
8. Columbia 8 1 0
8. Winnebago 8 2 0
10. Peoria Heights 4 2 0
10. Roanoke-Benson 4 1 0
Class AA (large schools) total pts mentions # of #1
1. Wheaton North 79 8 7
2. Rockford Auburn 72 8 1
3. Winnetka New Trier 61 8 0
4. Bloomington 43 8 0
5. Lincolnshire Stevenson 41 7 0
6. Naperville North 33 7 0
7. Carbondale 25 7 0
8. Wheaton-Warrenville South 21 6 0
9. Wilmette Loyola 17 5 0
10. Aurora IMSA 16 6 0
11. O’Fallon Township 12 3 0
12. Naperville Central 7 1 0
13. Springfield 6 2 0
14. Maine South 3 1 0
15. Lake Zurich 2 2 0
15. Oak Park Fenwick 2 1 0[/quote]
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Results of the Loyola Middle School Tournament

1. Holy Cross (Deerfield)
2. Lincoln (Park Ridge)
3. St. Emily (Chicago)
4. St. Juliana (Chicago)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Carmel Frosh/Soph Results (12/1/07)....
[34 Teams]
1.) Chicago Latin
2.) Barrington -A
3.) Palatine Fremd -A
4.) Arlington Heights St. Viator -A

I believe Stevenson was playing Libertyville in the varsity final and a combined team of Stevenson and Palatine players (christened "Steventine") and St. Viator was playing for 3rd place, but don't hold me to either of those assertions, as the worsening weather made us grab our trophy and go while the varsity matches were still in progress.
EDITED to add the # of competing teams. Since we didn't field a varsity, I don't know for sure the number of varsity teams, but I believe it was 42, which would bring the total number of teams to 76 (base 10... inside joke to frosh/soph participants :wink: ). Kudos to Mr. Mellon for daring to manage such a huge tourney!
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Brief Decemberist results -
1st: Auburn A
2nd: Rockford East A
3rd: Sterling
4th: Byron A (wait until you see how 3rd/4th was decided)
1st Consolation Champ - Rock Island
1st Consolation Runner-up - Auburn B
2nd Consolation Champ - Pecatonica

More results (SQBS) to come.
patjm6163
Lulu

Post by patjm6163 »

Who received all tournament honors at Carmel Catholic for Varsity?
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

We, WN, left before the tournament ended due to bad weather and I believe some other teams as well. Any Carmel people here?
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Fun tournament, Brad. We Dixon folk had to leave early. Think there will be an all-tournament team?
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17