NY/NJ 2007-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Re: NY/NJ 2007-08

Post by TheCzarMan »

Given the list of teams that Aaron gave, do you (Aaron and anyone else from NJ) find it strange how some of our best teams seem to be recluse? As long as I've been doing Quizbowl East Brunswick seems to have some kind of a good team, yet they rarely show up to tournaments and even then don't make Nationals trips. I'm also surprised Seton Hall isn't going to HSNCT, since they did last year.

EDIT: Since you don't seem to have it in your profile, what is your email Aaron. I want to talk to you and see if you're possibly interested in making a team of players around the area for ASS and/or possibly Sun n' Fun as well. Or if you prefer it, my email is.

theczar1724 AT gmail DOT com
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader

dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

aestheteboy wrote:Is this for NAQT only? Will you guys be there with full strength at PACE?
Doubtful. At this juncture, there's about a 35% chance that I'll be able to show up at PACE - "real life" (or something like it) is demanding my attention in the most frustrating and time-consuming ways. Danny Zhu is also unsure.
Doug
Brandeis '17

catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

I think Doug is underestimating his chances of coming to PACE. My prediction would be that Doug and I show up, and either Aidan or Danny drops out at the last minute per last year.
"... but not so if you're a structuralist! You're happy. You're french. You're very good looking. Very overpaid." - Sandra Blakely
Nina Charap
Stuyvesant High School '08
Emory University '12

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

My email is [email protected]. I don't what ASS or Sun'n'Fun is, so you'll have to explain
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer

The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

Seton Hall is off the list 'cause it conflicts with something important someone on their team can't miss, so they'll (very unfortunately) only make it to NAC. Oh, well.
Marisol Brady
Kellenberg '09
Delaware for like a hot second

ExcessStrausses
Lulu

Post by ExcessStrausses »

catsasslippers wrote: My prediction would be that Doug and I show up, and either Aidan or Danny drops out at the last minute per last year.
You never will let me live that one down, will you? I think since there will be no car rides across half the country this year, I can make it.
And no, there is no point to this post, but I was getting tired of the little "zero posts" thing by my profile.
Aidan Bonner, Stuyvesant, NYC
I'm bad at signatures.

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Yeah...so NY/NJ teams kind of owned this weekend at Nationals. Bergen, Kellenberg and Hunter all finished in the 11th place tie. East Brunswick finished tied for 17th. Stuy made the playoffs and advanced a round even though they were missing Doug. I don't think this region has ever done so well at HSNCT, hopefully this shows that the NY/NJ region is as legit as any other region in the country.

Anyway...any predictions for next year?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

aarcoh wrote:I don't think this region has ever done so well at HSNCT, hopefully this shows that the NY/NJ region is as legit as any other region in the country.

How about predictions for THIS WEEKEND? :razz: :razz:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

gabjoh
Lulu

Post by gabjoh »

ILoveReeses wrote:
aarcoh wrote:I don't think this region has ever done so well at HSNCT, hopefully this shows that the NY/NJ region is as legit as any other region in the country.

How about predictions for THIS WEEKEND? :razz: :razz:
Are any other teams from the area going to PACE nats? We're not ("too much quizbowl in one week" punks on our team :smile: )
Gabriel Johnson
Awesome 1992-present
Bergen County Academies (usually B team 07-08, A team 08-10)
Ohio Wesleyan University (founder) 2010–2011
Rutgers-Newark 2011-present

ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

From this region, only Hunter and Stuyvesant will be attending PACE NSC according to some other thread. Although from what I've heard, this will be a watered down version of Stuyvesant like at HSNCT because Doug and Nina (?) will be missing.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012

Byko
Auron

Post by Byko »

quizbowlabc wrote:From this region, only Hunter and Stuyvesant will be attending PACE NSC according to some other thread. Although from what I've heard, this will be a watered down version of Stuyvesant like at HSNCT because Doug and Nina (?) will be missing.
Here is the Stuyvesant roster we have on record for this weekend:

Aidan Bonner
Danny Zhu
Douglas Yetman
Nina Charap

If this has changed, we'd like to know as soon as possible.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship

ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Maybe I heard/read wrong. This would certainly make the NSC more interesting (not saying that its not interesting...).
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012

SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Looking forward to 2008-2009 ...

In New Jersey, it will be a rebuilding year for most teams. Bergen was senior heavy, as were Seton Hall and East Brunswick. (The top three teams from 2007-2008) If Columbia HS can get active, they could be a very dangerous team.

In New York, not knowing the Status of STUY, I would have to say that Kellenberg and Hunter should be at the top. Kellenberg returns their whole team while Hunter can bring some of their B-team players up to play with Guy and be a real presence.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Just for the sake of it, Bloomfield is getting a new adviser next year, so any tournament announcements send to me (For Now) and I'll forward it to my adviser.

theczar1724 at gmail dot com

And next year Bloomfield is returning it's entire A team, and hopefully gets to more tournaments and in turn has more of a shot at nationals.
Nick Petrilli

scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Big surprises at the National Academic Championship, as there were so many teams from your area, that it wasn't even funny.

New Rochelle, South Brunswick, Queensbury, Byram Hills, and dozens of other schools participated.

An amazing seven teams from Westchester County made the playoffs, and three of the four teams in the final four in Washington made it, including New Rochelle, Byram Hills, and the big surprise, Edgemont, which nobody talked about even on this website, beating our team (James Island) by 35 points in the first round. :oops:

We played a bad game, and the questions didn't go the way we wanted them to, and that is why we got upset. Also, the recognition was bad, as we lost 40 points because our new player didn't get

What stunned me was in a preliminary round, last question, when New Rochelle lost when they missed a question about the George Washington Bridge. Everyone told me that they were one of the best teams there, but that stunned me.

We probably saw upwards of ten games from the Championship, and the amount of teams from NJ/NY proves that NAC is one of the dominant formats in a large part of New York State, and most of New Jersey.

Joe-James Island
Joe
James Island '10

Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

So here at Ward Melville the school will probably be getting a bit less active. Our top 3 scorers are going off to college, and then after that nobody averaged more than 15 ppg on NAQT/mACF over the course of a tournament. I really wish they were more active, but it was a fight even to get people to show up to practice (average of about 4 people per practice).

So next year with a coach that is not as devoted as some of the top programs in our area (like Kellenberg and Hills West) I would expect the team to only go to LIFT and Hills' tournament, as well as participate in Regional Quiz Bowl and Knowledge Master Open. I will try to introduce some younger players to this board and get them to go to more tournaments, but I can only hope.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Bergen was senior heavy
Not particularly. In fact, I was the only really active senior on the team. Watson and Sib are both juniors, Gabe is a sophomore. Hopefully my team can remain competitive next year, otherwise they'll have to face my wrath :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

I figure I might as well post this in here. Cornell wants to run its first high school tournament, the Cayuga Championship, on October 25, 2008. More information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5669

I am trying my darnedest not to have a repeat of last year, where our fall tournament was canceled due to lack of interest. However I lack communication with any NY high school teams. Are there any quizbowl or quizbowlish tournaments in the upper NY region that I can contact for teams' emails (NAC Qualifiers)? I know about Masterminds, and the kind Mrs. Leavitt has already offered to give out our tournament information at Geek Wars.
Barry
Cornell

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Sadly, this tournament is on the same day as Moravian's tournament. As Moravian is considerably closer to the NYC area than Cornell, I'm afraid you're going to lose a bunch of teams.

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Yeah, there's really no way any of us will get up there.

It's really sad though that the area I used to live in (Broome County, Section 4 country) has no Quizbowl circuit as there are a bunch of nationally ranked High Schools in the area and it has a lot of potential.

Why don't you try emailing the schools to see if they want to try it out? I'll give you a list of Local High Schools.

Vestal High School
Union Endicott High School
Binghamton High School
Ithaca High School
Horseheads High School
Johnson City
Owego
Owego Free Academy
Seton Catholic Central
Elmira Free Academy

There's more, but those are the biggest schools in the area.
Nick Petrilli

Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Hmm.... will there be more interest if this was held on November 1st? I understand this is an SAT date, so I picked October 25 instead (before the Moravian Tournament was announced). I understand for NJ schools the drive may be a bit much, but are any NYC teams willing to make the drive to Cornell on that date? If enough people say yes I would gladly change it.
Barry
Cornell

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I think your best option would be to follow what Nick said and try to develop a high school circuit in the area.

SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

As to the Cornell tournament ... you may want to verify the date of LIFT. (Kellenberg) I think that it is at the end of October/early November as well.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

SHP Pirate wrote:As to the Cornell tournament ... you may want to verify the date of LIFT. (Kellenberg) I think that it is at the end of October/early November as well.
October 18th to my knowledge.
Nick Petrilli

BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Wall of Ham wrote:Hmm.... will there be more interest if this was held on November 1st? I understand this is an SAT date, so I picked October 25 instead (before the Moravian Tournament was announced). I understand for NJ schools the drive may be a bit much, but are any NYC teams willing to make the drive to Cornell on that date? If enough people say yes I would gladly change it.
You might want to snail-mail some schools in Canada. Most of the secondary schools in Kingston proper have a Reach for the Top or Whiz Quiz team, though I don't know any specific contact people. The addresses of the Kingston public schools is at: http://www.limestone.on.ca/schools/seco ... ome%20Page

Toronto may be a bit too far, but there are a lot of schools there. Ottawa teams would be more likely to go to my Nov 15 event, if they go to anything at all.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10