NY/NJ 2007-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Golran
Auron

Re: NY/NJ 2007-08

Post by Golran »

Thanks.

I guess I'll see you later this morning at Yale!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

While the Yale tournament has more or less stolen the show for March 29th, there was another tournament that happened today at Millburn, JBMAT, featuring 31 schools from New Jersey. The four prelims were done in the Jeopardy style, then the top eight advanced to the playoffs which was four quarters style. In the playoffs.....
1 Seton Hall Prep A def 8 Newark Academy
2 Bergen Academy A def 7 Pingry A
3 Chatham def 6 Livingston B
5 Bergen Academy B def 4 Lenape Valley A

1 SHP A def 5 Bergen B
2 Bergen A def 3 Chatham

2 Bergen A def 1 SHP A

It was pretty well run tournament, had its issues, but I guess all tournaments do. It also ended on time, which is more than I can say about most tournaments.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Congratulations to Bergen for their victory today and to Millburn for yet another successful JBMAT. This year, it seems that Seton Hall and Bergen have developed a great competitive rivalry. We beat them three weeks ago at Rutgers ... they returned the favor today. Aaron and Siv (sorry if I butchered your name) just destroyed us today! (Watson was missing from Bergen and our captain Mike was at a family function ... so both sides were not at full strength.)

Hopefully we will get one more rematch at Colonia!

PS: Chatham finished tied for 3rd place. I did not see them but, from what I heard, they were very impressive today!
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Yeah there does seem to be a rivalry between our two teams, but the way I see it, rivalries tend to bring out the best in teams. Ummm...it's weird that Watson's absence really made no difference to our play, I think it's because he's more of an NAQT type player, but I'm not really sure. "Siv" is actually Sibjeet Mahapatra although if I may say the key to our success was Ian (the short kid with long hair and sunglasses) who seemed to dominate every math question and in general was quite clutch

Chatham looked pretty good, and our B team has also gotten pretty good and gave Seton Hall A a close game in the semi-finals.

Anyway....I think it's inevitable that we'll be facing each other at Colonia
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:Yeah there does seem to be a rivalry between our two teams, but the way I see it, rivalries tend to bring out the best in teams. Ummm...it's weird that Watson's absence really made no difference to our play, I think it's because he's more of an NAQT type player, but I'm not really sure. "Siv" is actually Sibjeet Mahapatra although if I may say the key to our success was Ian (the short kid with long hair and sunglasses) who seemed to dominate every math question and in general was quite clutch

Chatham looked pretty good, and our B team has also gotten pretty good and gave Seton Hall A a close game in the semi-finals.

Anyway....I think it's inevitable that we'll be facing each other at Colonia
I need to bring out my inner Stephen Curry to try and derail this :razz:
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

By the way...does anyway have information about the Panasonic Academic Challenge for New Jersey. How ill it be done? Will one team go or will players from around the state be chosen to play on something like a "New Jersey all star team?"
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:By the way...does anyway have information about the Panasonic Academic Challenge for New Jersey. How ill it be done? Will one team go or will players from around the state be chosen to play on something like a "New Jersey all star team?"
To be honest, I've never even heard of an NJ Panasonic Team.

EDIT: Ah, turns out there has been but hasn't been past the semifinals. I too have no idea who it is selected.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Last year, High Tech High represented NJ, even though I think Livingston really deserved it a lot more. This year....well I don't know. Choosing an all-star team probably gets a better team but requires more work/organization than just having one school go.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Technically ... East Brunswick has the right to go as the state champs. However, I think that a strong all-star team could be formed. Unfortunately, the trip is EXTREMELY expensive. (Aaron & Watson from BCA, Robert from SHP, and ???)
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

SHP Pirate wrote:Technically ... East Brunswick has the right to go as the state champs. However, I think that a strong all-star team could be formed. Unfortunately, the trip is EXTREMELY expensive. (Aaron & Watson from BCA, Robert from SHP, and ???)
I'd like to be a token alternate if an All-Star team is made, although I doubt I'm in the Top 8 for the state. I'd just like to go for the ride and see some good quizbowl
Nick Petrilli
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

TheCzarMan wrote:Panasonic
TheCzarMan wrote:good quizbowl
I have some bad news for you...
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Matt Weiner wrote:
TheCzarMan wrote:Panasonic
TheCzarMan wrote:good quizbowl
I have some bad news for you...
:shock:
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

In response to East Brunswick going as state champs. Bergen was the state champ last year and lost out to what I felt was a weaker High Tech High team. But I think there is enough talent in New Jersey to form one pretty impressive team.

p.s. Now I'm going to sound like a realy idiot, but what exactly is the style/format of Panasonic. All I know is that it's held in Disneyworld, which is the main reason why I'd want to go. But is it actually a respectable tournament? I'm so confused......
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

I've never been to Panasonic, but I've practiced with Team DC enough times to know the format. 4-6 teams play in one room. A single "match" is made up of 3 buzzer rounds, separated by worksheet rounds. Each team gets only one buzzer. There is a 5 point round, a 10 point round, and a 15 point round. Negs subtract the value of the tossup. Of course, the questions are mainly one-liners, and some are fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, or some other bizarre format. Consulting is allowed on all questions, and the use of a calculator is permitted. You play one round per day, and can play as few as two rounds if you lose both of them. There are many, many staffers in each room to act as "experts" in the event of a protest. Basically, it's a terrible quizbowl experience, the worst format that I've ever played. However, Disney World passes and all-you-can-eat buffets are included in the registration fee, so it isn't all bad. If you go, don't think of it as a quizbowl trip, think of it as a vacation that sadly includes a few hours per day of being screwed by out-of-touch high school teachers and administrators. If you go into it expecting something similar to HSNCT or PACE, you'll be very disappointed.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I've been to it, and yeah, as long as you don't expect to play quizbowl, it'll be fun.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

aestheteboy wrote:I've been to it, and yeah, as long as you don't expect to play quizbowl, it'll be fun.
This was basically my stance after going my junior year. It's a fun trip to Disney World, subsidized by the good folks at Panasonic. They make you sit through a terrible pastiche of quiz bowl before you get to go run around the parks. Only go if you like Disney World.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

So is there anything with a New York team? If so, I would be interested in trying out (though I probably wouldn't be good enough to make it with competition like Stuy, Hunter, Kellenberg and Hills to name a few local schools). A free trip to Disney sounds like fun.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I can't imagine Stuyvesant or Hunter going to Panasonic.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Deesy Does It wrote:I can't imagine Stuyvesant or Hunter going to Panasonic.
They might do it for a free trip to Disneyworld, if all expenses are paid.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Half Hollow Hills used to send a team, but they haven't sent one in a few years. I think that it is very unlikely that Stuyvesant or Hunter would go or send any players for an all-star team.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I've never been to Panasonic, but I've practiced with Team DC enough times to know the format. 4-6 teams play in one room. A single "match" is made up of 3 buzzer rounds, separated by worksheet rounds. Each team gets only one buzzer. There is a 5 point round, a 10 point round, and a 15 point round. Negs subtract the value of the tossup. Of course, the questions are mainly one-liners, and some are fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, or some other bizarre format. Consulting is allowed on all questions, and the use of a calculator is permitted. You play one round per day, and can play as few as two rounds if you lose both of them. There are many, many staffers in each room to act as "experts" in the event of a protest. Basically, it's a terrible quizbowl experience, the worst format that I've ever played. However, Disney World passes and all-you-can-eat buffets are included in the registration fee, so it isn't all bad. If you go, don't think of it as a quizbowl trip, think of it as a vacation that sadly includes a few hours per day of being screwed by out-of-touch high school teachers and administrators. If you go into it expecting something similar to HSNCT or PACE, you'll be very disappointed.
You forgot that, although the format allows conferring, you have only two seconds to answer after buzzing.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

DumbJaques wrote:
I've never been to Panasonic.... If you go into it expecting something similar to HSNCT or PACE, you'll be very disappointed.
You forgot that, although the format allows conferring, you have only two seconds to answer after buzzing.
Anyone please correct me on this: that's not really the jarring issue... on buzzer questions, you have 60 seconds after the question is first read before the question finally dies, instead of 3-5 seconds.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You say that like there's only one jarring issue with Panasonic's attempts to be good quiz bowl.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

ILoveReeses wrote:Anyone please correct me on this: that's not really the jarring issue... on buzzer questions, you have 60 seconds after the question is first read before the question finally dies, instead of 3-5 seconds.
This is true, but teams are given a "PASS" sign to indicate that they want the question to die.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm not sure whether you're saying that the jarring issue is more the 60 seconds (it's not, it's just moderately annoying), or whether you're saying that because of the 60 second thing, the 2 seconds to answer thing isn't annoying. Since most Panasonic questions are horribly stupid buzzer races, the fact that there's 60 seconds after someone finishes the question doesn't make much of a difference - you don't have time to talk about a speed question before you get beat on a buzzer race.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

DumbJacques wrote:horribly stupid "button" races
Fixed.
Also, a painfully high number of questions detail the travels of PAC-Rat, the tournament's mascot.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Stat Boy wrote:Also, a painfully high number of questions detail the travels of PAC-Rat, the tournament's mascot.
Oh god, that's beyond unnecessary. Anybody have past question sets in some sort of electronic form?
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Ok I get it. Panasonic sucks. I don't want to go. It seems like a waste of time (plus it probably conflicts with my graduation).
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Disney World's pretty awesome, especially if it's your first time going. I mean, if you're going with the view point that you're not going to a real quiz bowl tournament and if someone else at least heavily picks up the tab and you're not missing something legitimately awesome that weekend, I don't think it'd be a bad thing to go.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

DumbJaques wrote:Since most Panasonic questions are horribly stupid buzzer races.
Kind of true: They're really a mix of horribly stupid buzzer races and questions that take serious math work to do.
Hopper wrote:If you go into it expecting something similar to HSNCT or PACE, you'll be very disappointed.
Very true: It's not really quizbowl.
aarcoh wrote:Ok I get it. Panasonic sucks.
Not true: Honestly, I had fun at Panasonic. The gameplay was tolerable-bordering-on-fun, even if it was definitely not real quizbowl. But the experience as a whole wasn't bad at all.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

cdcarter wrote:
Stat Boy wrote:Also, a painfully high number of questions detail the travels of PAC-Rat, the tournament's mascot.
Oh god, that's beyond unnecessary. Anybody have past question sets in some sort of electronic form?
Not that can be sent out legally. Their old questions are pretty costly--something like $50 per year, and there's only 6 rounds in a given year.

Loyola Academy (in Illinois) runs a small invitational in something like Panasonic format, I think--perhaps they would be willing to show some questions. Beyond that, well, if you run into me in person sometime, I can bring a CD of what I have and show you, but that would be about it.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
erkifish26
Lulu

Hello

Post by erkifish26 »

This is cool.
Last edited by erkifish26 on Thu May 01, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Fischer
Byram Hills High School '09

Um, why don't you tell your coach that its his job to coach, not the parents'.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: I NEED HELP

Post by Matt Weiner »

erkifish26 wrote:Okay, so I go to Byram Hills and we participate in Chippy stuff (local Chip leagues, Chip tournaments, Chip nationals... the whole nine yards). I've recently had my eyes opened to the glory that is NAQT. Unfortunately, two years ago we won the Chip championship, which convinced our coach that it is the tournament that we will always attend. Beyond this, Nate Mattison (who was the star of that team) has two younger twin sisters, both on our current A team. As the Mattison parents have been around for awhile now (since we began national play a few years ago), they have tremendous sway over the actions of our coach (and through him, the actions of our team). Recently, they blocked a movement to try to go to NAQT nationals, claiming that we would never leave Chip (most likely because they suspect that the younger Mattisons will be able to bring home the championship trophy like brother Nate). Any suggestions as to how I can make my stubborn coach/the parents that control him see why NAQT is better?
You could try bringing Nate into the room to aggravate him and change the karma
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Seriously though...start with the ethics issues, then talk about the cost and the general problems with legitimacy. If all else fails, talk to your coach and your school administration about starting an academic quizbowl team at your school and letting the Simulated Game Show Club do its own thing without bothering you.
Matt Weiner

Also, I mean, I have no idea what your budget looks like, but I know a lot of schools seem able to attend multiple national championships. If you can't break away from the NAC just yet, why not go to NAQT nationals as well, and then compare the experiences to help guide your team decisions next year. If you go to both that would probably make your cause a lot easier to work with.

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Deesy Does It wrote:Also, I mean, I have no idea what your budget looks like, but I know a lot of schools seem able to attend multiple national championships. If you can't break away from the NAC just yet, why not go to NAQT nationals as well, and then compare the experiences to help guide your team decisions next year. If you go to both that would probably make your cause a lot easier to work with.
What schools give the money to send Quizbowl teams to multiple National Championships?

And I know the situation fish is in, its not that easy to go up to your coach, be an ass and tell them they're coaching the team to ruin, and probably end up kicked off the team.
Nick Petrilli
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Deesy Does It wrote:Also, I mean, I have no idea what your budget looks like, but I know a lot of schools seem able to attend multiple national championships. If you can't break away from the NAC just yet, why not go to NAQT nationals as well, and then compare the experiences to help guide your team decisions next year. If you go to both that would probably make your cause a lot easier to work with.
Alternatively, he could go to PACE in addition to the NAC, if he can't get his coach to switch. PACE's location in DC this year would make it relatively easy for him to drive down to play, so that his team would not have to break the bank.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X

What schools give the money to send Quizbowl teams to multiple National Championships?
Um, lots of schools are able to take teams to both NAQT and PACE every year, sometimes even managing multiple teams per school to each.

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Deesy Does It wrote:
Um, lots of schools are able to take teams to both NAQT and PACE every year, sometimes even managing multiple teams per school to each.
How big is their budget? Damn.
Nick Petrilli
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

TheCzarMan wrote:How big is their budget? Damn.
Running tournaments is always good for bringing in dough. We also had a local TV show that gave something between 2,000 and 4,000 dollars to the winners. I think there was a point where we had to pay our own way (maybe for PACE 2005) but not last year for sure.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

Unrelated: where is Nate now? Just curious.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

http://rooseveltinstitution.org/user/4320/nate_mattison

If this is him (and I wouldn't be surprised if it is,) Yale.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Yeah, that's where the NYT article said he went.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
erkifish26
Lulu

Post by erkifish26 »

Yes, he is most certainly at Yale (just like ma and pa before him).
Eric Fischer
Byram Hills High School '09
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

No quizbowl for him, even?
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

This forum was getting old and crustry so let's spice things up a bit. I was wondering how the NY/NJ would fare at Chicago in a couple of weeks. New Jersey will only have two teams (Bergen and East Brunswick) even though I think four others have qualified (Seton Hall, Delbarton, Columbia, Millburn). Seton Hall and Delbarton were listed on the HSNCT field but now are mysteriously off....East Brunswick is a bit of a mystery. At Princeton we beat them with an undermanned team but they dominated at States, apparentlly beating Seton Hall convincingly in the finals. So basically, I have no idea how they'll do.
I think the best two schools from New York will be Stuy and Hunter, although I wouldn't count Kellenberg out either. Stuy and Hunter both look good but Hunter appears to be better in NAQT and have improved drastically throughout the season. And Guy's teammates look pretty legit. Both could probably finish in the top twenty. Kellenberg will probably make the playoffs and maybe advance a few rounds, Half Hallow Hills will have a decent shot of making the playoffs but proably won't advance.
Then there are the mysterious New Rochelle and Colton Pierrepont. We played New Rochelle at Seton Hall, but apparently without their top player. Colton is totally unknown (are they from the Dolgeville area?) Who knows what will happen with them?
How we will do is equally mysterious, and I know that if I make a any kind of prediction I will jinx the team. All I can say is that we'll have a pretty full roster and Watson is continuing to improve.

Thoughts? Concerns? Polite disagreement? Not so polite disagreement?
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Stuyvesant's team will be made up of the #4 player on the A team and three players from the B team. Kellenberg and Hunter will both be a lot better, though I think Stuy will still have a shot at playoffs. Maybe.
Doug
Brandeis '17
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

dyetman89 wrote:Stuyvesant's team will be made up of the #4 player on the A team and three players from the B team. Kellenberg and Hunter will both be a lot better, though I think Stuy will still have a shot at playoffs. Maybe.
Is this for NAQT only? Will you guys be there with full strength at PACE?
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.