North Carolina '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

North Carolina '07-'08

Post by DrakeRQB »

So, what do the N.C. folks think about next year? My thoughts:

RALEIGH CHARTER
I guess any discussion of the NCATA has to start with RC. Everyone from the national championship team is gone, but Eric's teams are always going to be very dangerous. John Hanna will most likely lead, based on what we've seen.

ROBINSON
We have everyone back from a squad that made several Final 4 finishes this past year. Four of the five A-teamers are headed to ACE camp and we have some underclassmen who are quite good. Without trying to sound conceited, we should be a tough out for anyone.

SAINT MARY'S
Nancy's gone, which is good news for just about everybody. Hugh has some underclassmen who were pretty solid at NCOAST, when I read for them at least five times. One's name was Sally. I'm sure they'll be in good shape come October.

SCIENCE AND MATH
One of the two major enigmas in the state. Their two big boys from this past year, Lashlee and Lin, are graduating. They could drop off again.

CARY ACADEMY
The other enigma. Nick Tarleton is gone, but he had a supporting cast in 2007. Who knows what they'll show up to, but they'll be tough.

THE OTHERS
There are a lot of teams who have potential. 2007 was the weakest Richmond team in recent memory, and they barely made a splash in the spring semester. Josh Smith will return to most likely be their best player. R-S Central is prevented from coming to much stuff by geography, but they made respectable showings at Dorman and the Robinson Invitational. Hoggard was a PLQB powerhouse and came to Red/White this year. Fred T. Foard went to the HSNCT while participating in no NCATA tournaments; I definitely wish they'd come to some stuff. Robinson got snuck up on at the Red/White by South Caldwell, who is now hosting a tournament for western N.C. in March. They were good. In Raleigh, Cardinal Gibbons could do some damage on any given day. I have no idea who's returning for them.

Am I missing anyone? Please chime in.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Wow. Drake needs to get a life!

I think Kevin will outshine John, but John will still be good. Our underclass situation is very fluxy and we won't know. But our JV team rocked at NCOAST, so I'm optimistic.

This will be an interesting year with no Nicks or Nancies. We will see who steps up.

Dates for tournaments will be announced soon; Robinson's fall tournament should be an NAQT joint providing bids for the 2008 HSNCT, to be held in room 320 at the Crowne Plaza O'Hare. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck to all. I look forward to seeing everyone this fall.

Eric
link5333
Lulu

Re: North Carolina '07-'08

Post by link5333 »

DrakeRQB wrote: John Hanna will most likely lead, based on what we've seen.
I appreciate the sentiment but I think Kevin's got me dominated.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

link5333 wrote:
DrakeRQB wrote: John Hanna will most likely lead, based on what we've seen.
I appreciate the sentiment but I think Kevin's got me dominated.
Yeah, I forgot about him somehow. Hopefully Kevin doesn't hear about that and get all motivated. haha

Are you going to ACE?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

link5333
Lulu

Post by link5333 »

I don't think so at this point, but I do intend to do some major studying this summer.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve.
fancynancy
Lulu

Post by fancynancy »

Watch out, y'all, because I think Sally has the potential to be quite the quiz bowl beast. There are several Saint Mary's underclassmen, actually, who could end up being quite good :-).
Nancy
Saint Mary's (Raleigh, NC) '07
Samford University '11
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

fancynancy wrote:Watch out, y'all, because I think Sally has the potential to be quite the quiz bowl beast. There are several Saint Mary's underclassmen, actually, who could end up being quite good :-).
Rachel Dam had a good day in the JV division at NCOAST. It's hard to pick who will be good for SMS next year because someone dominated their stat line at every single tournament. :wink:

I just found out that six of my players are registered for ACE, which has me pretty jacked at this point. Hopefully the camp staff will learn them good.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Nancy is right that Sally has tremendous potential, and Rachel had two fantastic underclass showings (5th at Celeb Shoot for underclassmen; 2nd individually in JV at NCOAST) in exactly two appearances last year. The SMS problem last year was always the schedule--tournaments hit our fall break, spring break, and several other major events, and we're such a small school that our team members get pulled in too many directions.

We'll definitely be a factor, and count on hearing from several different players this year, including the above pair and Kate Flanagan, among others.

Hugh
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

That's good to hear that St. Mary's will still keep going for a while.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
fancynancy
Lulu

Post by fancynancy »

plus we have the koolaid man on our side

ohhhhhh yeaaaaaahhh!
Nancy
Saint Mary's (Raleigh, NC) '07
Samford University '11
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Why mysterious thermodynamical magick does K.A. work to keep his cubes from melting?

And would you really want to drink Kool Aid out of a pitcher that just burst through a brick wall? Dusty!
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

You drink the Kool-Aid, you don't ask questions.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

I thought Jim Jones and friends all drank Flavor-Aid (well Jones drank a bullet but that's another issue.) Let's stop impugning the good name of Kool-Aid.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

StPickrell wrote:I thought Jim Jones and friends all drank Flavor-Aid (well Jones drank a bullet but that's another issue.) Let's stop impugning the good name of Kool-Aid.
You are correct.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

What--they couldn't spring for the top of the line flavored drink mix for their last pitcher? What's next? The Heaven's Gate people didn't eat Jell-O pudding?
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

rchschem wrote:What--they couldn't spring for the top of the line flavored drink mix for their last pitcher? What's next? The Heaven's Gate people didn't eat Jell-O pudding?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, at least something gets people talking about quiz bowl in N.C. Too bad that thing is Kool Aid. haha
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Okay, enough with the Kool-Aid. August is here - back on topic.

At Raleigh Charter's summer reunion tournament last Saturday I saw Kevin Munger play with his 2007 teammates against their '06 death squad of Schultz and Zonderman. He held his own. He could carry RC a long way in a lot of tournaments.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Ron Mexico. I had forgotten about that.

You know that you can't order an NFL jersey from NFL.com with that name on it?

I heard Kevin did very well. Now, if we could just fill those other three seats...
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

With the exception of a tournament here and a tournament there, the 07-08 schedule in N.C. appears to be set.

October 20 - Speedway Shootout (Concord)
October 27 - Tar Heel Cup (Chapel Hill)
November 10 - High School Celeb Shoot (Durham)
November 17 - Raider Acad. Challenge (Rockingham)
February 2 - Robinson Invitational (Concord)
February 9 - Belles Bowl (Raleigh)
February 16 - Hi-IQ Bowl (Greensboro)
March 1 - Western NC Shootout (Lenoir)
March 8 - Right Triangle Open (Raleigh)
March 15 - NCOAST (host TBD; possibly Harrisburg)
April (date TBD) - Hippocampus Shootout (Salisbury)
Unknowns - Red and White Bowl, No Buzzer Bowl

Speedway is already the largest tournament in NCATA history, with 35 teams signed up. I hope this is a sign of things to come!
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

So many shootouts. What kind of a message are we sending? Won't someone please think of the children?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

That's mostly a western NC concept, right? :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:That's mostly a western NC concept, right? :)
Hunh. I can't really explain that anomaly, but that would indeed appear to be the case. :smile:

Speaking of western NC, I'm really excited about the number of teams from the western part of the state that we are getting at Speedway. East Burke, Lake Norman, Lincolnton, Shelby, the two Cabarrus schools coming, South Caldwell... hopefully this progress will manifest itself in the Triangle-area tournaments. I'm gonna push the Raleigh-area tournaments really, really hard at our tournament in three weeks.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

DrakeRQB wrote:... hopefully this progress will manifest itself in the Triangle-area tournaments.
If you mean Wake County...their teachers are all overworked.

Eric
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

rchschem wrote:
DrakeRQB wrote:... hopefully this progress will manifest itself in the Triangle-area tournaments.
If you mean Wake County...their teachers are all overworked.

Eric
How are they overworked more than any other teachers?
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

This was a comment a Wake teacher made to us on Saturday at our TV competition about why their school doesn't do more quiz bowl events.

I don't mean to paint all Wake County teachers with the same broad brush, but there's an institutional reason why we have more out of state teams attend NC tournaments than public schools around Raleigh. This is pretty sad considering how highly regarded the Wake County Public School System is across this great land of ours.
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

If anyone from NC is interested in a tournament on the 12th-13th of October, please consider the Rickards Fall Tournament in Tallahassee, FL. I notice that there isn't a set date on the NC schedule. Its an NAQT tournament. IS-70
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

The N.C. opener is this weekend at our house. NCOAST's finalists (Charter and NCSSM) will be in attendance, but their big guns from last year have graduated - time to see if they've reloaded.

In other news, Cabarrus County has caught Wake County Disease.... only one team from our county is attending, and it's from the school that's seven weeks old.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Raleigh Charter A was the best N.C. team at the tournament... Kevin Munger was the #1 individual on the day with just over 70 ppg in all rounds.

Look out for Weddington. They upended Hoggard to reach the semifinals, and they have one very good player in Zach Stone.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Okay, we've had a few N.C. tournaments. Here's how things look for the teams that seem to have risen to the top:

EDITED FOR RESULTS THROUGH NOVEMBER 17

RALEIGH CHARTER: One win, two semifinal finishes and a win at Duke
ROBINSON: Two championship games and a runner-up finish at Duke (#1 playoff seed at UNC and best prelim record at Richmond)
NCSSM: One win and a fourth-place finish at Duke
WEDDINGTON: One semifinal finish

As for the individuals...

Kevin Munger (RC) - #1 individual at Speedway and UNC, finalist at Duke
Peter Schultz (RC) - top individual at Duke
Gray Cannon (Rob) - #2 in prelims at Duke
John Mace (Rob) - semifinals at Duke

Other really good ones are Sarah Stroud (RC), Jihoon Baek (Rob), William Condon (NCSSM), and Jonathan Vandezande (RC).
Last edited by DrakeRQB on Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I've always wondered how useful it is to compare results of things on worksheets to things not on worksheets. How similar are the 2 formats since there's no required pyramidality and no buzzers (at least for the aforementioned Duke tournament)?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Deesy Does It wrote:I've always wondered how useful it is to compare results of things on worksheets to things not on worksheets. How similar are the 2 formats since there's no required pyramidality and no buzzers (at least for the aforementioned Duke tournament)?
It's not particularly useful in predicting how well a given team will do in a pyramidal buzzer format against new opponents, but it should at least indicate the quality of the teams relative to each other.

So if team X wins a worksheet tournament, they may or may not do well in a pyramidal buzzer tournament against teams A, B, and C, but they should (in theory) at least be better than team Y, who was also at the worksheet tournament.

...maybe. Or it might be that the formats are so unrelated and tap into such different skill sets that there is no comparison.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

ecks wrote:
Deesy Does It wrote:I've always wondered how useful it is to compare results of things on worksheets to things not on worksheets. How similar are the 2 formats since there's no required pyramidality and no buzzers (at least for the aforementioned Duke tournament)?
You know, sometimes coaches who have been working in the QB field for a long time and sometimes even have winning records, perhaps even on the national level, make judgments about players based on having seen them compete, not just on the basis of statistical performance. And one thing some of us have noticed in the NC area after having coached here for a long time and having seen players and programs grow and develop, is that there is usually a correlation between those teams which turn out to be good in the state (or elsewhere) and those individuals who do well at individual, non-pyramidal tournaments like the Celebrity Shoot.

It's not surprising to see strong individuals at this tournament who are not on strong teams--NC doesn't have a lot of strong teams. But good individual players are a great place to start getting a team in gear and maybe beginning or strengthening a program. Conversely, it's surprising to see a decent team that doesn't have an, or maybe more than one, individual place highly.

So of course, there is, on some level, no necessary relationship between a good player and a good team. Nor is it useful to make statements about the strength of a team based on an individual showing at a team tournament. But sometimes there are trends and sometimes, especially within a community of people who know each other's teams and players can derive value from these kinds of data.

And, for the record, some of us coaches do recognize the lack of validity in comparing individual records with team records or performances at different formats of tournaments. We are not the hicks you think we are down here in NC.

Eric
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Where did I ever call you guys hicks? That would be pretty hypocritical coming from Missouri.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

rchschem wrote:And, for the record, some of us coaches do recognize the lack of validity in comparing individual records with team records or performances at different formats of tournaments. We are not the hicks you think we are down here in NC.
5) Discussions need to follow basic rules of logic and rhetoric. In particular, the "you would like Tournament X more if you won it" and "you are only disagreeing with me because you have a bias against the region I'm from" cards are not in the deck of available arguments here.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Matt Weiner wrote:"you are only disagreeing with me because you have a bias against the region I'm from" cards are not in the deck of available arguments here. [/url]
The hick thing was supposed to be a moment of levity and I blew it. I overreacted, thinking that a player was telling me and my coaching colleagues in the NC forum that we didn't know what we were talking about. Charlie wouldn't say something like that.

My apologies to the forum.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

ecks wrote:
Deesy Does It wrote: It's not particularly useful in predicting how well a given team will do in a pyramidal buzzer format against new opponents, but it should at least indicate the quality of the teams relative to each other.
My fellow Robinson coaches and I have been debating the usefulness of the Duke individual statistics in placing kids on our teams. We had one kid, a sophomore, do a great job on the test and score over a 90. He's a very good player, but there's no way I'd say he's better than our captain or another one of our A teamers that he beat. There's a huge difference between doing well on a written test and doing well on a buzzer. That said, it's fun, and I think the team rankings at Duke were at least pretty close to how most buzzer tournaments would turn out.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

scquizbowl
Wakka

North Carolina '07-'08

Post by scquizbowl »

This weekend, at the new Furniture City Classic at High Point's T.W. Andrews High School, the only tournament in this state, Robinson (bringing three teams), Raleigh Charter, and Greensboro Day competed, joining Bassett from Virginia, and James Island (our team) from South Carolina.

James Island won the tournament, and the North Carolina teams played well.

As Mr. Drake said, Robinson A was 5-1, Raleigh Charter was 4-2, Robinson B was 3-3, Greensboro Day was 2-4, and Robinson C was 0-6 in prelims.

From what I saw of Raleigh Charter while playing them, they had a young team playing, with what looked like several freshmen and sophomores playing. Was anything happening in NC this weekend, or is it their team?

Gray from Robinson was third overall in answering questions, and Peter Schultz, Will's younger brother, was second, while Travis from James Island was 1st.

How are the rest of the NC teams doing?
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

We had several conflicts that resulted in us drawing heavily from the reserves. Peter was our only A starter available. The team was a full house--sophomores over freshmen, but it was nice to see Marshall, a freshman, powering math TUs.

Thanks for the nice comments. We're really excited about our sophomores.

The tournament was pretty good for a first time effort. Chris did a good job with such little support, and considering his team isn't even 4 months old. I remember the 9 teams we had at the first RTO...

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

How are the rest of the NC teams doing?
Raleigh Charter, Robinson, and NCSSM are the class of N.C. so far this year. Most of our state's tournaments are in the spring, so we'll see some more teams come out of the woodwork soon. I'll be very interested to see Cary Academy at our tournament next weekend to see if they've recovered from Nick's graduation. Saint Mary's had a good showing in the fall Brain Game, so they might do pretty well in their first year post-Nancy.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

NCOAST 2008!

Post by rchschem »

Field update!

School (Varsity Teams/JV Teams)
Onslow County (1/0)
Raleigh Charter (2/2)
Mooresville (1/0)
South Caldwell (1/1)
Weddington (1/0)
NCSSM (2/0)
Greensboro Day (1/0)

Eric
Last edited by rchschem on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

NCOAST now has its own website:

http://www.raleighcharterhs.org/ncata/NCOAST.html

Information, including the schedule, is there.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

2007-2008 NCATA All-State Team

Gray Cannon (Robinson)
John Mace (Robinson)
Kevin Munger (Raleigh Charter)
Roger Que (NCSSM)
Peter Schultz (Raleigh Charter)
Ray Wang (NCSSM)
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

How old is Will's younger brother?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

quizbowlabc wrote:How old is Will's younger brother?
He's a sophomore this year.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

I haven't heard much hype about him, will he ever be as good as his brother?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

quizbowlabc wrote:I haven't heard much hype about him, will he ever be as good as his brother?
Them's big shoes to fill. He's progressing very nicely, though. We have not, however, been able to persuade his mother to have any more kids.
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

Any word on college destinations for NC seniors? I don't remember seeing anything in the other thread.
Sara Garnett
Michigan State
UNC 2009
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Kevin Munger will be at UNC, making Raleigh Charter's takeover of the UNC college bowl club nearly complete.