Cash Cab is the banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rchschem
Yuna

Cash Cab is the banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner...

Post by rchschem »

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/cashc ... about.html

The questions are pretty good and the most like the format we're used to of any game show I've seen. They even offer the occasional bonus.

Eric
mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

Whoa, I watched an episode of Cash Cab yesterday! But what impressed me more than the questions themselves was the cultural literacy of most "contestants." For example, the elderly couple heading to MoMA managed to eke out tryptophan.

On the other hand, the Discovery Channel probably withholds footage of the not-so-spectacular contestants. Even though there isn't always a correlation between intelligence and affluence, I think it's worth noting that people who ride in NYC taxis probably have more financial wherewithal than the average guy (or gal) off the streets. Another complaint of mine is that the prize money often depends on distance traveled.

So, the next time that I'm in a taxi, I'll be on the lookout for suspicious disco lights before announcing my destination!
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

mistermoravian wrote: On the other hand, the Discovery Channel probably withholds footage of the not-so-spectacular contestants.
No doubt. And I thank them for it. The episode I saw had a range of ability--the first pair won $800 or something, the second one flamed out right away and the third group nearly made it to their destination before getting the boot.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

mistermoravian wrote: Another complaint of mine is that the prize money often depends on distance traveled.
I've watched a fair number of episodes, and I haven't seen as big a correlation as I would expect between distance traveled and # of questions. I feel like there are a similar number of questions, regardless of whether the passenger is going 10 blocks or 40. I'm guessing that they adjust the pace of the questions to keep things somewhat level, if only so that a contestant on a 55-block trip doesn't make $6,000.

Edit: And unless it's my imagination, the questions are harder on more recent episodes, which is nice to see.
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05