Michigan 07-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
killbill_07
Lulu

Michigan 07-08

Post by killbill_07 »

Discuss!!!
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

EVERY TROPHY NAQT MAKES WILL GO TO MICHIGAN TEAMS
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:EVERY TROPHY NAQT MAKES WILL GO TO MICHIGAN TEAMS
qft
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

DCC and East Lansing should be really good.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

jdd2007 wrote:DCC and East Lansing should be really good.
Agreed. That one guy on East Lansing is a beast. I think that these two teams must have tired out during the playoffs this year at Nationals, because they played like monsters earlier in the tournament. They may be the underrated dark horses that cut the rug out from under everybody.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

jdd2007 wrote:DCC and East Lansing should be really good.
Don't overlook Novi and Detroit Country Day either.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

DCC should be weaker next year because they lose basically their entire A team albeit 1 player. However, they do have a knack of getting progressively better as the year moves along so they can't be counted out. Based on this year's NAQT stats, East Lansing also appears to lose basically every member of their team next year except for Kurtis so it should be interesting to see how they do. Still, Kurtis is the top performer of his team by an extremely large margin so EL's success has and will continue to hinge upon his individual performance anyhow.
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

As a (graduated) East Lansing player, I think that EL will be very good next year. Kurtis will be learning physics, and will continue to study hard.
DCC will be good by the end of the year, like always, and Novi should be good as well.
Does anyone know anything about GPN or Troy for next year?
The team I am most curious about, however, is DCD. They were good at the tournaments they came to, but did not attend NAQT and didn't make it out of the first round robin at PACE. Who (if anyone) do they return?
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

I'm pretty sure DCD graduates both of their top two seniors this year so next year will most likely be a rebuilding year for them. Troy graduates their entire A team including Kareem so it's up in the air whether they will even compete next year because they don't seem to have a Quiz Bowl infastructure(JV and novice teams) set up.

GPN is a very young team from what I have seen so they will be terrific next year if they continue to improve and should be competitive with the likes of East Lansing, Novi, and DCD because they are the only solid team among the aforementioned that don't graduate anybody.
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

I'm going to go ahead and guess that EL, DCC, Troy, Novi, and DCD will continue to be quite good. A lot of schools graduated some outstanding seniors, but I think that everyone will still be strong.

As everyone has pointed out, we (EL) have just graduated most of our varsity team. Kurtis is going to continue to get beastier, naturally... and some of us JV/semiVarsity folk are hoping to improve during the summer months. The team we put forward next year will be very different, very interesting, and hopefully good. (/two cents) :smile:
Liz F.
Michigan Technological University
Formerly East Lansing H.S.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Next Year

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

I think that DCD will be a very powerful force next year. At KMO states, their team that won the B division was mostly sophmores, so they should not be taken lightly. East Lansing will most likely be a one-man team next year unless the lower-classmen steps ups to the challenge. Kurtis is a great player, but if he is off of his game, then there may be some problems. I'm not too sure about White Cloud being a major force next year, even though they did get 5th in the small school tournament at NAQT nationals. I don't know how many players graduated, so please leave a comment.
A lot of relatively-new programs, such as Hartland or West Bloomfield or Mercy, may become major teams next year if they put in the dedication and work over the summer and next year.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Does anyone know how many players White Cloud, DCD, and Novi graduated last year? I know that DCC graduated six and East Lansing had three, but I'm not sure on the others.
Rikku

To be more accurate,
East Lansing graduated three of the four A team members at NAQT nationals, the top two of the B team, and three more.

Also, at least two of White Cloud's players graduated, but they also had two sophomores on their top team.
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

I'm a graduated Novi player and I believe we had 6 active senior quiz bowl players this year who will no longer be there obviously next year. However, the underclassmen on our team are much better players than our graduating senior class in my opinion and we have a solid core of 3 players returning next year from the A team including our captain, who is and always has been undisputedly the best player on our team by far.

Although it's too early to predict anything, I think that Novi might be the team to beat next year because a lot of other schools in the state like DCC, DCD, and Troy seem to have a bit of team rebuilding to do next year while we basically start off where we left off in the past year. Of course, things tend to change rapidly and consistently good programs like DCC seem to do well by the end of the year no matter what so who knows. Good luck and have fun playing quiz bowl next year everyone!
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

I disagree. I think that DCD will be the team to beat. At KMO states, most of their team was sophs. and they won the B division. However, I do not attend DCD, so I don't know how many exactly they are graduating. EL will probably be a one-man team next year because not only is Kurtis smart, he is pretty quick on the buzzer too. DCC is losing most of their A team except a soph., who was their best player at NAQT nationals.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

GPN should be solid if they travel a little more, but EL and DCC should have the field covered all year. I see Troy, DCD, GPN in that second tier. after that I would say Churchill, Novi, Kent City, White Cloud, and Hartland have potential. I also thin West Bloomfield may be decent. After that there is a huge drop off.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

emactruman wrote:GPN should be solid if they travel a little more, but EL and DCC should have the field covered all year. I see Troy, DCD, GPN in that second tier. after that I would say Churchill, Novi, Kent City, White Cloud, and Hartland have potential. I also thin West Bloomfield may be decent. After that there is a huge drop off.
Didn't Kent City go 1-9 last year at Nationals?
Rikku

SwissBoy wrote: Didn't Kent City go 1-9 last year at Nationals?
I think that more important than the record is the fact that they attended in the first place, which by itself puts them above a large number of teams in the state.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Just to let everyone know, there is a tournament in White Cloud on October 20th. I'm pretty sure this is the first tournament in Michigan for the 07-08 season. The tournament is kind of wierd because the questions kinda stink and they have a recognition rule. I think a lot of teams are coming this year, so we'll see how it goes.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

I believe flowerday's is a week earlier.
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

emactruman wrote:GPN should be solid if they travel a little more, but EL and DCC should have the field covered all year. I see Troy, DCD, GPN in that second tier. after that I would say Churchill, Novi, Kent City, White Cloud, and Hartland have potential. I also thin West Bloomfield may be decent. After that there is a huge drop off.
That grouping system is completely innacurate by the way. DCD graduated basically all of their competitive players besides one this year so they will probably start out one notch below the tier 1 teams, not to say they won't rise to the occasion by the end of the year like they usually do. The same applies to DCD as they graduated their entire A team this year besides this one freshman kid who can basically only do math. Ditto for Troy as well. Kent City is several magnitudes worse than even Churchill and Hartland, let alone Novi. EL and Novi are the two best teams this year in MI(read my post above with some reasons why) followed by GPN/DCD and then by Troy/Hartland/White Cloud. Teams beyond these in Michigan are hardly worth discussing.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Huh, what happened to Catholic Central? Unless you were typoing or something.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

Oops, I meant DCC in my first sentence when I typed DCD.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

So who's ready for the White Cloud Tournament?
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

As East Lansing's captain, I thought that the White Cloud tournament was well-run and fun to play on. The short tossups were not ideal and bonus difficulty was variable, but on the whole the questions were not too bad. I didn't see much competition as of yet, but I think that DCC just had a bad round when they played us.
Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

GPN couldn't go, but we'll be at the November 10 tournament.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

Thoughts on U of M Dearborn tourney today?
Liz F.
Michigan Technological University
Formerly East Lansing H.S.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

I'd love to see results/stats from this tourney somewhere.
porcupine
Lulu

Post by porcupine »

Brief results:

1. East Lansing
2. Novi
3. DCD
4. Troy
crabbyab90
Kimahri

Re: Next Year

Post by crabbyab90 »

mceschermaniac4 wrote:I think that DCD will be a very powerful force next year. At KMO states, their team that won the B division was mostly sophmores, so they should not be taken lightly. East Lansing will most likely be a one-man team next year unless the lower-classmen steps ups to the challenge. Kurtis is a great player, but if he is off of his game, then there may be some problems. I'm not too sure about White Cloud being a major force next year, even though they did get 5th in the small school tournament at NAQT nationals. I don't know how many players graduated, so please leave a comment.
A lot of relatively-new programs, such as Hartland or West Bloomfield or Mercy, may become major teams next year if they put in the dedication and work over the summer and next year.
As a former White Cloud quizbowl member, the team has lost two seniors from last season, as well as other people that have moved from the team.
detroitdevil
Kimahri

Post by detroitdevil »

Based on the latest tournament results it seems as though (to start) that EL and Novi are the teams to beat--both have strong, veteran leadership and have been at the hallmark of Michigan quizbowl over the past few years.
DCC has graduated several veteran players and thus didn't place at Dearboan.
Troy on the other hand graduated their captain Kareen, yet still have enough young talent to place at Dearborn.

See you all on Dec 8.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Based on the latest tournament results it seems as though (to start) that EL and Novi are the teams to beat--both have strong, veteran leadership and have been at the hallmark of Michigan quizbowl over the past few years.
DCC has graduated several veteran players and thus didn't place at Dearboan.
Troy on the other hand graduated their captain Kareen, yet still have enough young talent to place at Dearborn.

See you all on Dec 8.
I have no firsthand knowledge of MI whatsoever, but DCC managed to twice beat NKC at a tournament this year. Maybe the full lineup wasn't at this other event? Also, what was the format? If the format was a joke then perhaps results are less than meaningful.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

DumbJaques wrote: I have no firsthand knowledge of MI whatsoever, but DCC managed to twice beat NKC at a tournament this year. Maybe the full lineup wasn't at this other event? Also, what was the format? If the format was a joke then perhaps results are less than meaningful.
That was at our Earlybird tournament. It's pretty much ACF, but with bounceback bonuses.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Oh, sorry, I meant the Dearborn tournament format. Obviously your format is not a joke.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
a-slice-of-cake
Kimahri

Post by a-slice-of-cake »

Seems that nobody looks at the other conferences, especially the ones in Southeast Michigan. The Mega Conference looks like it could come out of nowhere.

I'd say the teams that could surprise people in this conference (being in this conference myself) are Trenton, Huron, and Wyandotte. They're all pretty close in skill, each having their own advantages. Trenton is pretty balanced, Wyandotte is fast, and Huron has a wide knowledge base. Taylor Truman is lurking around, too.

One thing about the Mega Cofnerence is that their format's kind of weird. Whether this will buff or nerf them in cross-format play, I'm not sure.

To conclude the blowing of our own horn conference-wise, will someone from Mega knock off Novi, DCC, DCD, or EL? Probably not. But it'd be cool to have another contender in the arena. Hartland tournament will probably be a good indicator.
In the name of the Derivative, and the Interval, and the Fundmanetal Theorem. Amen.
a-slice-of-cake
Kimahri

Double Post (sorry)
In the name of the Derivative, and the Interval, and the Fundmanetal Theorem. Amen.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Results from the 12/1/07 Hartland tournament:

1. Okemos
2. DCC
3. Novi
4. Brighton

Okemos beat Novi in the semifinals while DCC beat Brighton.

In the championship game, Okemos beat DCC by a score of 335-55.

In the consolation game, Novi beat Brighton by a score of 245-105 in a game which featured buzzer issues that nearly resulted in me flinging myself out of a third story window.

East Lansing, DCD, and GPN were among the notable teams not in attendance.

This tournament was played on Patrick's Press questions and as such probably don't indicate anything about how good the above teams are at real quizbowl, other than those probably being the best four teams in some order as far as I could tell.

The question set was a mix of "easy canonical HSQB stuff compressed into bad one-line tossups" and "random garbage not worth knowing, much of which would never come up on real questions" with 4/4 computational math sliced into each 20/20 TU/B packet at predictable intervals (every 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th tossup). There were also multiple repeats including a couple of verbatim ones, like asking for August Strindberg off of a "Miss Julie" clue in back-to-back packets! There was also a question which claimed that "Mr. October" was the nickname of noted baseball player JESSE JACKSON.

I only read for Novi and DCC once, but on the few questions that contained stuff people should actually know, they were both quite solid. I didn't get to read for Okemos but from what I heard the insanely math-heavy distribution really helped them out.

All-in-all the first NAQT tournament will be a million times better at indicating how good the Michigan teams are both overall and in relation to one another.

Brighton, who I think played some kind of split-squad today, seemed like a capable second-tier team. I don't think they'll surprise East Lansing, DCC, or Novi or such on NAQT questions, but they could be among the "best of the rest" as it were. Also, they gave me a brownie.

Questions aside, the tournament seemed okay. The teams seemed to take the terrible questions in stride. Even teams like DCC and Novi, who play a lot of legit tournaments and had every right to be furious with the questions, were really good-natured and able to laugh at how absurd some of this stuff was. I plan on suggesting (for whatever effect that'll have) a vendor change for next year.
gpnhs
Kimahri

Post by gpnhs »

GPN should definitely be at the Rube Invitational at MSU in January. We've been a little late/slow registering for the earlier tournaments.
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them.
- Bill Vaughan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dolemite wrote:There was also a question which claimed that "Mr. October" was the nickname of noted baseball player JESSE JACKSON.
Awesome
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
a-slice-of-cake
Kimahri

Yeah, I heard secondhand that Hartland was terrible. Lots of people from my neck of the woods didn't even show.

I mean, Patrick's Press? Yuck.

Wonder how the State tournament at MSU's going to be...
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

a-slice-of-cake wrote:
NAQT states will be at U of M Ann Arbor this year. I assume KMO States will be at MSU like always.
Bearclaw
Kimahri

Post by Bearclaw »

you're right.

my bad.
Last edited by Bearclaw on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Bearclaw wrote:
a-slice-of-cake wrote:Seems that nobody looks at the other conferences, especially the ones in Southeast Michigan. The Mega Conference looks like it could come out of nowhere.
No it doesn't.
a-slice-of-cake wrote:I'd say the teams that could surprise people in this conference (being in this conference myself) are Trenton, Huron, and Wyandotte. They're all pretty close in skill, each having their own advantages. Trenton is pretty balanced, Wyandotte is fast, and Huron has a wide knowledge base. Taylor Truman is lurking around, too.

One thing about the Mega Cofnerence is that their format's kind of weird. Whether this will buff or nerf them in cross-format play, I'm not sure.

To conclude the blowing of our own horn conference-wise, will someone from Mega knock off Novi, DCC, DCD, or EL? Probably not. But it'd be cool to have another contender in the arena. Hartland tournament will probably be a good indicator.
You use the word contender very loosely.
Mr. Claw,

I'd like to refer you to rules number five and seven for the forums.

The only reason you aren't going to receive disciplinary action is because you're a new poster and I'm in a good mood due to the holidays.

Thanks!

The Internet
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
a-slice-of-cake
Kimahri

mceschermaniac4 wrote:
a-slice-of-cake wrote:
NAQT states will be at U of M Ann Arbor this year. I assume KMO States will be at MSU like always.
I see. Now I feel completely moronic. *troutslaps self*

Thanks, Fred. I mean, I know it's a rework on the definition of long shot, but it would be fun to have someone pull a George Mason in MIQB. Preferably someone I know.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Re: Michigan 07-08

Here are the Rube Tournament results (East Lansing February 23) if anyone cares.

I'm not really too sure about the third and fourth place results in both divisions, so feel free to correct me.

Varsity:
1) DCC
2) EL
3) Novi
4) GPN

JV:
1) GPN
2) DCC
3) Andover

Varsity used an NAQT packet and JV used something else, so its probably house-written
Bearclaw
Kimahri

Post by Bearclaw »

What happened to the official tournament thread? Was there ever one? It's not in the archives.
Zang. Zangity-zang Zang-Zang. Zang.
Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

mceschermaniac4 wrote:Here are the Rube Tournament results (East Lansing February 23) if anyone cares.

I'm not really too sure about the third and fourth place results in both divisions, so feel free to correct me.

Varsity:
1) DCC
2) EL
3) Novi
4) GPN

JV:
1) GPN
2) DCC
3) Andover

Varsity used an NAQT packet and JV used something else, so its probably house-written
GPN finished third.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

University of Michigan Dearborn Classisc Results:

1) DCD
2) DCC A
3) DCC B
4) EL
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

mceschermaniac4 wrote:University of Michigan Dearborn Classisc Results:

1) DCD
2) DCC A
3) DCC B
4) EL
What was the format of this tournament? Did DCC and EL have their full teams?
Rikku

Kurtis was not there for EL, and neither was another starter (Priya).
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School