Weekend of Quizbowl Goodness?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Would your team be interested in attending this wholesome, fun-filled event?

Heck yes, even if there isn't any free cheese!
40%
This sounds awesome, but I have doubts based on scheduling/logistics/finances (please explain in the thread or email me)
32%
I might be interested, but I have some major questions about the format or structure (again, please explain)
2%
I am not interested due to financial/logistical/scheduling reasons (are you sure you can't be persuaded?)
4%
This sounds like an awful idea (please explain why?)
2%
I don't coach/play for a high school quizbowl team (then why are you voting in the poll???)
19%

Total votes: 47

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Would the weekends of March 15 and March 22 both be ok for everyone? So far they're the only ones I have without conflicts.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

DumbJaques wrote:Would the weekends of March 15 and March 22 both be ok for everyone? So far they're the only ones I have without conflicts.
March 15 MIGHT be the date for NCOAST, our state championship. However, that's far from being nailed down.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

DumbJaques wrote:Would the weekends of March 15 and March 22 both be ok for everyone? So far they're the only ones I have without conflicts.
If it's an even choice between those two, the 22nd is better for us because the IHSA State tournament is on the 14th and some time to reload might be nice. But if it's the 15th I'd still want to go.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

On a Friday?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I'm wondering would people prefer to have the literature tournament be singles of doubles?
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Doubles so I wouldn't have to play against Shantanu.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

March 22nd is like right before easter. Half of our team will be in Florida. March 15th is a musical performance for us but i'm sure we could still make it b/c we're still in the area.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

Magister Ludi wrote:I'm wondering would people prefer to have the literature tournament be singles of doubles?
I'd like either
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

DumbJaques wrote:On a Friday?
Yeah. I forget the reasoning. But more importantly, pi day!
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I thought it had something to do with Casimir Pulaski Day. Which has to be the most retarded holiday to make a big deal over.

EDIT- 666 posts!!!
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Regionals is the one that got pushed back to Tuesday, as that Monday is Casimir Pulaski day. And yeah, state is likely being moved to that Friday, though I forget why. It may or may not have something to do with it coinciding with the basketball state finals.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Trevkeeper wrote:It may or may not have something to do with it coinciding with the basketball state finals.
That sounds familiar. It's probably right.

And I think we all already knew that Charlie Dees is the devil incarnate of the midwestern states.
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

It should definately be the 22nd. I have only selfish reasons for wantng this (i.e. I can't come the fifteenth), but I thought I'd put that out there anyway.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I'm with my esteemed teammate on this one - 22nd is best for me as well.
Doug
Brandeis '17
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

This tournament will almost definitely happen on March 22. Currently, nobody has mentioned that date as not working for them, and I'm very hopeful it stays that way.

I'm awaiting word back from NAQT on getting a set for Sunday. As soon as we finalize where at least one set of our questions are coming from, we'll formally announce. But go ahead and mark the date.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE

What about using the Illinois Novice 2008 set? That tournament was in March, right?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

DumbJaques wrote:This tournament will almost definitely happen on March 22. Currently, nobody has mentioned that date as not working for them, and I'm very hopeful it stays that way.
Sorry for being a spoilsport, but isn't that the weekend of Easter? I happen to be Jewish, but there's also a conflict with my Spring Break plans. Nevertheless, I hope that my *Christian* school can attend somehow!
RSido
Lulu

Post by RSido »

I think my spring break conflicts then too- a lot of schools schedule spring break that week, so you may have trouble across the board.
Robert Sido
New Trier '08, Delaware '12

The only good players are jews or other non-christians so who cares about the rest am i rite?

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

It does appear that this tournament date conflicts with Jesus. In that case, I'll seriously need to reassess it - in all probability we might go with the March 15 fallback.

If you are on the updated interest list, or even if you're not but are interested in this tournament, please email me regarding the two dates (at [email protected]). Specifically, I'm interested in:
1) Can you come on the 22nd? Can you come on the 15th?
2) What are the obstacles for those dates?
3) Would you expect your team might be significantly reduced in strength on the 22nd?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Sirs: Why the hell would spring break conflict with the quiz bowl tournament? Has the world gone mad?
Doug
Brandeis '17
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Regrettably, the traditional date of the Blue Hen at the University of Delaware is the third Saturday of March. After thinking it over, I do not believe we have flexibility in our date due to the television tournament and other non-quizbowl competitions that use the same buildings. (And the last time I tried an April event, nobody registered.)

The overlap between the Blue Hen and this event would probably be small. We might lose 1 or 2 of the Maryland/D.C. teams.

Charter will still consider coming to Sunday's tournament depending on the question set being used.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I'd consider Newark, DE close enough (1.5 hours) to be an undesireable overlap. By the same token, I'm probably a small amount further north than the tournament location. If Chris, too considers this more overlap than is desired-- he'd surely lose the Charter teams and us (not that losing us is a tremendous crisis), as well as probably the northern Maryland teams-- another date should probably be considered. Blue Hen date has already been announced on the NAQT website, and requesting someone move off a date they've already chosen is just plain poor form.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred

Well, what other date is there?

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Just to be clear, I'm OK with Chris' tournament being on the same day, and even with the same question set. I was just pointing out that there will be a small potential overlap between the tournaments.

Last year, Blue Hen's field was predominantly (going to be before snow) Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. And a certain Long Island school.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

so... what was the reason that February dates and earlier March dates were deemed undesirable besides that they might coincide with some tournaments?
It's probably inevitable that the tournament overlaps with some tournament somewhere in the nation. It's only logical to avoid the ones that are close to the location and the ones that you know will hurt the field.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

From the data I have:

Feb 2: Robinson Invititational, a little sooner than I'd really like to run the tournament.
Feb 9: Gonzaga Tournament, ACT date
Feb 16: Solon's two-day tournament
Feb 23: Possible, although I believe Eden Prairie's running a trash tournament that day (and that it coincides with VHSL states)
March 1: SAT date, Dennis Haskins
March 8: Right Triangle Open
March 15: Charter
March 22: Jesus
March 29: Kind of late, though if it works. . .

The dates I'm least opposed to right now, I suppose, are Feb 16, Feb 23, March 8, and March 15. If there are events to add to this list please let me know, and please let me know if these dates are dealbreakers for you.

ust to be clear, I'm OK with Chris' tournament being on the same day, and even with the same question set. I was just pointing out that there will be a small potential overlap between the tournaments.

Last year, Blue Hen's field was predominantly (going to be before snow) Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. And a certain Long Island school.
I'm not aware of any non-Charter DE teams (or teams from NJ, or teams from PA that aren't State College) that have expressed interest in our tournament. Still, I certainly want both of our fields to be at their top strength. I'll try to pick the best solution for the most teams (on a related note, Bill, if you're planning on making this a "Charter E" day, I'd like to know since that represents six teams instead of just one or two).
I'd consider Newark, DE close enough (1.5 hours) to be an undesireable overlap. By the same token, I'm probably a small amount further north than the tournament location. If Chris, too considers this more overlap than is desired-- he'd surely lose the Charter teams and us (not that losing us is a tremendous crisis), as well as probably the northern Maryland teams-- another date should probably be considered. Blue Hen date has already been announced on the NAQT website, and requesting someone move off a date they've already chosen is just plain poor form.
Not that anything has been decided yet, but I will say our leading candidate is definitely closer to you than Wilmington. As has been discussed at exceptional length in this thread, we're trying to find a date that works for teams from 15+ states. . . there are bound to be overlap. I'd like to know why anything I did is "poor form" or whatever that means. The date marked on the NAQT is listed as "tentative," and all I ever did was ask how tentative it was. It's not as if I tried to muscle anyone out of a date, which leads me to wonder what exactly I did that you find to be in "poor form."
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

It seems like the 22nd isn't still up for discussion, but I'd just like to point something out. Most schools( or so I assume, I know NYC public schools do) have Good Friday off. It would make traveling to a tournement much easier for teams, and it might help to draw teams from farther away because they would have the time they'd need to travel comfortably. It would also keep a lit singles tournement Friday night from going too late into the evening.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

DumbJaques wrote:I'd like to know why anything I did is "poor form" or whatever that means. The date marked on the NAQT is listed as "tentative," and all I ever did was ask how tentative it was. It's not as if I tried to muscle anyone out of a date, which leads me to wonder what exactly I did that you find to be in "poor form."
You've done nothing that would be poor form. I was speaking generally. It's clear that you've made no such request for Blue Hen to move, and I apologize if there was anything less than clear about that in my post.

I also see that you're correct about "this date is tentative." This is a subtlety I apparently neglected to notice due to my inability to read. At this point, I'm pretty much sorry I even began my last post in this thread.

In any event, here are my thoughts about the dates:
2/16 -- Solon's far enough away that you'll have very small overlap. Actually, I wouldn't even consider this a conflict.
2/23 -- Running against VHSL can be a killer. I got blindsided by VHSL a couple years ago, and had exactly one Virginia school enter.
3/8 -- Ditto Solon above.
3/15 -- This is the beginning of spring break for some school systems (including ours). Due to family travel, etc., I'd think you're turnout is likely to suffer on this date.
3/29 -- I'm guessing this is the end of spring break for some school systems. I'd expect low turnout for the same reasons as 3/15.

Hope that helps. Regardless, we'll put you on our schedule on whatever date you choose.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

VHSL states will be on the 1st of March this year. I am 99% sure this will be the case, I will get the other 1% of verification later.

(EDIT: This change is not yet official. The Executive Committee meets on September 18, and will likely approve this change by a vote of something to zero. Let's just say I'd be surprised if they don't approve it.)
Last edited by STPickrell on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howard wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:I'd like to know why anything I did is "poor form" or whatever that means. The date marked on the NAQT is listed as "tentative," and all I ever did was ask how tentative it was. It's not as if I tried to muscle anyone out of a date, which leads me to wonder what exactly I did that you find to be in "poor form."
You've done nothing that would be poor form. I was speaking generally. It's clear that you've made no such request for Blue Hen to move, and I apologize if there was anything less than clear about that in my post.

I also see that you're correct about "this date is tentative." This is a subtlety I apparently neglected to notice due to my inability to read. At this point, I'm pretty much sorry I even began my last post in this thread.

In any event, here are my thoughts about the dates:
2/16 -- Solon's far enough away that you'll have very small overlap. Actually, I wouldn't even consider this a conflict.
3/8 -- Ditto Solon above.
Sir, did you notice that he said he's scheduling this for teams from +15 states? I can tell you that some of those states include Ohio, and people who would attend something in North Carolina. Remember, this is not just some normal Maryland tournament.

As for the Spring break/Easter discussion, I can disprove the notion that lots of schools schedule their spring break then, as basically every school I've ever been to (from 4 different states) hasn't scheduled spring break to overlap Easter. I also know of many, many more who don't, so I'm not actually certain how much this affects things. Also, as Stuy people noted, wouldn't scheduling it during spring break actually help this because people won't have to juggle their school schedules and this tournament?

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
As for the Spring break/Easter discussion, I can disprove the notion that lots of schools schedule their spring break then, as basically every school I've ever been to (from 4 different states) hasn't scheduled spring break to overlap Easter. I also know of many, many more who don't, so I'm not actually certain how much this affects things. Also, as Stuy people noted, wouldn't scheduling it during spring break actually help this because people won't have to juggle their school schedules and this tournament?
Easter would be a factor in some players' and coaches' decisions to attend/not attend. Some of the religious schools may actually forbid travel over the Triduum.

As for Spring Break, some schools are utterly unable to do anything over a break, whereas others would be more likely to attend a distant tournament over a break. If the tournament is announced far enough in advance then teams who really want to go can go -- and this seems to be becoming a 'destination' tournament. I hope it can be repeated in future years.

As stated above, it is 95% certain that VHSL states will be moved to March 1 due to a conflict at W&M on the 23rd. Unfortunately the decision will not be official until the Exeuctive Committee approves it in two weeks. I do not see any reason VHSL states wouldn't return to the 'last weekend in February' for 2009.

The weekend before VHSL states has typically had some tournaments with very strong fields; the Cav Open 2005 was one of the strongest non-nationals in my remembrance.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Stat74 wrote:Regrettably, the traditional date of the Blue Hen at the University of Delaware is the third Saturday of March. After thinking it over, I do not believe we have flexibility in our date due to the television tournament and other non-quizbowl competitions that use the same buildings.
Actually, I have to take back something that I said. I just found out that one of the aforementioned events (State Science Olympiad) could be March 15 this year. Let me see how this impacts the Blue Hen, but there is a chance we actually would want to move to March 8.

And technically the tournament above should read "University of Delaware". They are the host, but I am the TD that handles registration.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Sir, did you notice that he said he's scheduling this for teams from +15 states? I can tell you that some of those states include Ohio, and people who would attend something in North Carolina. Remember, this is not just some normal Maryland tournament.
I did indeed notice. But if you're looking to not conflict with any other event in 15 states and not choose a date that's poor for some other reason, I'd say it's time to not bother with the tournament. No such date exists. What I've done is given my thoughts based on my personal experiences. I'm sure Chris will attempt to choose the date which is best for as many teams as possible. And this will require him to consider how many potential teams he stands to lose no matter what date he chooses. Trust me, Chris isn't just going to jump up and pick 2/16 or 3/8 just because I think they're likely to be the best. I wasn't attempting to tell him what to do, but rather simply give my thoughts.
charlieDfromNKC wrote:As for the Spring break/Easter discussion, I can disprove the notion that lots of schools schedule their spring break then, as basically every school I've ever been to (from 4 different states) hasn't scheduled spring break to overlap Easter. I also know of many, many more who don't, so I'm not actually certain how much this affects things. Also, as Stuy people noted, wouldn't scheduling it during spring break actually help this because people won't have to juggle their school schedules and this tournament?
Your logic doesn't follow. Just because you can list many school systems that don't schedule spring break around Easter doesn't mean that it's impossible to list many that do. As a counter-example, every school system with which I have experience has indeed scheduled spring break either the week before or the week after Easter. Again, I'm relating my experience that scheduling within a week of Easter seems to result in lower turnouts in our region. I'll leave it up to Chris to determine whether he thinks the dates in question here will suffer the problems I think they will.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

In that case, does Feb 23 not work for anyone? I know there's that Eden Prairie event (I was hoping to get some people from EP and Wayzata), so if March 15 ends up not going down at UD I'd probably prefer to do it then, but a backup would be nice.

As soon as we finally pick a date a formal announcement will go out. We'll also be announcing our host and probable question sources (WRITE BACK TO ME NAQT). Perhaps then this thread will stop making the baby Jesus cry.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Any Ohio teams would be out, February 23 is the Copley Invitational, the biggest tournament in Ohio... and the last 4 state champs have won this tournament, so I doubt anyone wants to miss (even though I hate OAC)
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

The 23rd is Governor's Cup. I feel sure that I sent you those dates in an effort not to be in this situation. I understand if you don't have a choice, but please please, our team is really excited and I think the rest of the state is too.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Maybe you should just send out a big poll to every team that might be interested asking them to check all dates that they can come and all dates that they can't. It seems hard to keep track of it just by going through this thread.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Steroid McBlooddoper wrote:Maybe you should just send out a big poll to every team that might be interested asking them to check all dates that they can come and all dates that they can't. It seems hard to keep track of it just by going through this thread.
Additionally, it would prevent arguments of "my date of unavailability is more important than your date of unavailability!"
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator

Also, the 23rd is UIUC's NAQT tournament, which NKC was planning on attending, along with prorbly a couple Illinois teams who have expressed interest in the Chris Ray Extravaganza.

Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Plus, isn't the UIUC NAQT tournament the same day as the IL NAQT State Qualifier at Loyola?
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Trevkeeper wrote:Plus, isn't the UIUC NAQT tournament the same day as the IL NAQT State Qualifier at Loyola?
We checked with Mr. Riley about that, and I believe that he said that he wasn't using that date this year. Unless that's changed, we don't have any conflicts that I'm aware of.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Weird, I would have thought the season schedule would have been changed to reflect that, then. Dunno.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The IHSSBCA Tournament Schedule is updated all the time when hosts change their date or whether their tournament is happening. The last time it was updated was yesterday, and it shows Loyola and UIUC hosting NAQT tournaments on the same day.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I also can try to host if I know I'll have staff to help out if you want to do this as a rehearsal for NSC. Just tell me ahead of time.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Given the developments with UD's event, I am very inclined to set March 15 as the date for this event. As far as I know that isn't a conflict for anyone - if it is, please let me know ASAP. We are very close to locking down question sets and a site, so an announcement should be imminent, upon which we will begin taking registration.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I would love to go, but my team (along with some other NY teams) would be slightly depleted because of New York's Science Olympiad state competition. Also, my coach doesn't really like to do out of state trips, so basically we only go to LIFT and the Hills West Tournament, so that would be preventing us. I might try to muster my own team from those that are left and have one of our parents drive, like I did to go to the Yale FaCT.