Panasonic Results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Post by theMoMA » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

Byko wrote:
aestheteboy wrote:1. That girl from Indiana was by FAR the most beautiful quizbowl (or should I say academic challenge) player I've ever seen. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Now I know the real reason why you guys wanted to scrimmage with Indiana!
You and Daichi are forgetting the cardinal rule of internet forums. CONVERSATIONS LIKE THIS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY PICS!

User avatar
swwFCqb
Rikku
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Lancaster, Ohio

Post by swwFCqb » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:21 pm

Byko wrote:
aestheteboy wrote:1. That girl from Indiana was by FAR the most beautiful quizbowl (or should I say academic challenge) player I've ever seen. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Now I know the real reason why you guys wanted to scrimmage with Indiana!
I thought that the combo from Idaho was pretty darn good lookin' too.

P.S. I don't have an pictures, though...sorry :sad:

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Matt Weiner » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:36 pm

You can stop with this line of discussion any time.

User avatar
JohnAndSlation
Wakka
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:41 pm
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Contact:

Post by JohnAndSlation » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:09 am

Greg/Carlo's peanut joke? Is that because you weren't sure which of them told it, or because they both told the same really lame joke :wink: (I wouldn't be surprised...)?

User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
Posts: 4631
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Post by Deviant Insider » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:38 am

I wasn't there, but I blame Carlo.

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Post by First Chairman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:54 am

swwFCqb wrote:
Byko wrote:
aestheteboy wrote:1. That girl from Indiana was by FAR the most beautiful quizbowl (or should I say academic challenge) player I've ever seen. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Now I know the real reason why you guys wanted to scrimmage with Indiana!
I thought that the combo from Idaho was pretty darn good lookin' too.

P.S. I don't have an pictures, though...sorry :sad:
Didn't you encourage her to join Facebook? Silly kids.

I also agree with Matt about this discussion. Please stop... unless any of the girls who were there want to comment...

User avatar
aestheteboy
Tidus
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 5:07 pm

Post by aestheteboy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:50 am

E.T. Chuck wrote: Didn't you encourage her to join Facebook? Silly kids.

I also agree with Matt about this discussion. Please stop... unless any of the girls who were there want to comment...
Was this an attempt at humor? :roll:

I disagree with Matt. There is nothing more appropriate to do in a Panasonic results thread than to talk about the attractiveness of each team.

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Post by First Chairman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:14 am

Moderate attempt at humor, but still a bit serious. We do have a very underutilized bulletin board on the Facebook group for the 2007 PAC. I think I see more conversations along those lines there. Otherwise I'll split this thread off from National Tournaments and put it somewhere else since the content is rising up the "creep" factor.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

leapfrog314
Wakka
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:49 am
Contact:

Post by leapfrog314 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:45 pm

Incidentally, was Illinois the only team that took 18 hours to get home?

BobGHHS
Rikku
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: Garfield Heights, Ohio

Post by BobGHHS » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:58 pm

Incidentally, was Illinois the only team that took 18 hours to get home?
WHAT HAPPENED??? o_O
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats

johnboy81918
Lulu
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:08 pm
Contact:

Post by johnboy81918 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:20 pm

leapfrog314 wrote:Incidentally, was Illinois the only team that took 18 hours to get home?
I hadn't heard of any other teams having problems...did everyone go home together?

Some of us left at different times, but as far as I know, nobody from Missouri had any problems whatsoever.
John Ahlfield
WUSTL
Liberty High School 2007

Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 1818
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:43 am

Post by Susan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:57 pm

Was the craziness at O'Hare still going on when you were trying to make it home?

User avatar
CoachJET
Lulu
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL

Post by CoachJET » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Does anyone know who made the "All-America Team" at PAC?

User avatar
embily718
Lulu
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Destin, FL
Contact:

Post by embily718 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:22 pm

There was a Florida person (Bud Shinn from Polk County), but I don't remember any of the other names.
Success isn't a destination you can ever reach. Success is the quality of your journey.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Emily Hooper
OWC Collegiate High School
Class of 2007

User avatar
swwFCqb
Rikku
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Lancaster, Ohio

Post by swwFCqb » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:31 pm

CoachJET wrote:Does anyone know who made the "All-America Team" at PAC?
The girl from California and a guy from Illinois are the only two I remember. Hopefully that helps some, but probably not.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer

Stat Boy
Rikku
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD / Waterville, ME

Post by Stat Boy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:32 pm

Greg Gothier (sp?) from Illinois, someone from California, someone from New Jersey, and I can't remember anybody else.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Post by brownboy79 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:46 pm

The reason I hit Kipp was because he was answering on a California buzz. In the end, I suppose, it did help us because we ended up getting the makeup question. Ah well, it was just an accident, and CA did make the finals anyway.

Byko
Auron
Posts: 1039
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:54 pm
Location: Edgewater, MD

Post by Byko » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:16 pm

Here's what I remember as far as All-America:

A girl from California
Martin Ye, Oklahoma
Greg Gauthier, Illinois
Bud Shinn, Florida
A girl from New Jersey
Someone from either Vermont or New Hampshire

I'm sure some of it will come back to me when I get home and have the individual team rosters in front of me.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship

sweaver
Lulu
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: West Virginia

Post by sweaver » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Team West Virginia (Parkersburg Catholic H.S.) thoroughly enjoyed the tournament, unfamiliar format and all. Our trip was covered by sponsors, although ours was mostly of the "lots of people giving $10-20 each" variety, who were all very appreciated.

The tournament, and Disney, were first class all the way.

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.
Posts: 1975
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:42 pm

Re: Inquiring minds want to know...

Post by Tegan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 pm

hardeecoach wrote:Some of my team members overheard Panasonic staff discussing an "incident". Anybody know the scoop? Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm not sure, but it may have been the first time I have ever seen Mrs. Harrod actually get angry ....... a player one one of the final teams was playing with a football, and apparently, the coach of said team had told said player to put it away. As Mrs. Harrod was trying to give last minute instructions to the finalists, she finally let the kid have it, telling him to listen to his coach, put the ball away, and pay attention. I don't balme Mrs. Harrod one bit ..... perhaps the kid was just nervous, but it was distracting.

User avatar
CoachJET
Lulu
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL

Post by CoachJET » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Oh man, listen, when Peggy Harrod is giving instructions before the championship round, you SHUT UP and LISTEN! Haha, that's not the first time she's gotten ticked at a team/player in that situation. I have seen this at CAC as well as PAC.

F Hooper
Kimahri
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: Destin, FL

Post by F Hooper » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:05 pm

brownboy79 wrote:The reason I hit Kipp was because he was answering on a California buzz. In the end, I suppose, it did help us because we ended up getting the makeup question. Ah well, it was just an accident, and CA did make the finals anyway.
I didn't realize fisticuffs were allowed in quizbowl... Can you also smack your teammate if s/he reads the answer off your paper after you've buzzed in?
All poppies eventually succumb when blanketed in kudzu.

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Post by brownboy79 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:22 pm

No idea, but it would be great fun. And if I belted Kipp a bit too hard, it was out of love.

F Hooper
Kimahri
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: Destin, FL

Post by F Hooper » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:01 pm

Kechara wrote:
F Hooper wrote: my middle schooler was on the MathCounts team, Mu Alpha Theta, KnowledgeMasters, a middle school academic team, and the FL Jr Beta Club academic team
What all is going on at the middle school llevel in FL, and how widespread is it?
My information in this regard is only anecdotal, and the situation is constantly in flux. It's very much dependent on the individual school district.

My impression is that math teams are fairly widespread (there are district, regional, and state level tournaments). To the best of my knowledge, academic "quiz bowl type" teams only compete thru regionals and, while many (by no means all) schools have a team, some only throw them together for tournaments; even that is dependent on the priorities of individual school and district administrations.
All poppies eventually succumb when blanketed in kudzu.

Former_HS_Quizbowler
Kimahri
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:31 am

Re: Inquiring minds want to know...

Post by Former_HS_Quizbowler » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:41 am

hardeecoach wrote:Some of my team members overheard Panasonic staff discussing an "incident". Anybody know the scoop? Inquiring minds want to know.
The incident involved team NH. In the second game there was a question about the order of events in "A Midsummer Night Dream." The judges ruled the response incorrect, and our team challenged it. One judge left the room and returned at the end of round two and ruled that the challenge had been denied, which cost us 20 points. We ended up losing to Montana by 225-209. After the game, my teammate who had issued the challenge talked with the judges. As it turned out, the judge who left failed to do his due-dilligenge and only asked one judge if he had confidence in the question he wrote. Our response was in fact correct, but Peggy Harrod ruled that the decision of the judges was final, barring us from remaining in the tournament. This was even more aggravating as the previous day against NJ, we had about a ten point lead after the team question, when the judges came back and ruled that NJ's challenge to a third round question had succeeded, giving them 30 points and the win.

That's the dirt. :twisted:

User avatar
swwFCqb
Rikku
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Lancaster, Ohio

Re: Inquiring minds want to know...

Post by swwFCqb » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:14 pm

Former_HS_Quizbowler wrote:
hardeecoach wrote:Some of my team members overheard Panasonic staff discussing an "incident". Anybody know the scoop? Inquiring minds want to know.
The incident involved team NH. In the second game there was a question about the order of events in "A Midsummer Night Dream." The judges ruled the response incorrect, and our team challenged it. One judge left the room and returned at the end of round two and ruled that the challenge had been denied, which cost us 20 points. We ended up losing to Montana by 225-209. After the game, my teammate who had issued the challenge talked with the judges. As it turned out, the judge who left failed to do his due-dilligenge and only asked one judge if he had confidence in the question he wrote. Our response was in fact correct, but Peggy Harrod ruled that the decision of the judges was final, barring us from remaining in the tournament. This was even more aggravating as the previous day against NJ, we had about a ten point lead after the team question, when the judges came back and ruled that NJ's challenge to a third round question had succeeded, giving them 30 points and the win.

That's the dirt. :twisted:
That's a bummer. I don't blame your teammate at all...if it was me, I probably would have bitched up an even bigger storm.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer

Mephistopheles
Lulu
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Almalthea

Well, We all Know...

Post by Mephistopheles » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:40 pm

We all know that Panasonic rules and regulations are ridiculous and unfair. For instance, apparently if one team rings in but another team answers (with the correct answer, though incorrect might count too, haven't checked), the question is thrown out regardless of whether the first team had the correct answer or not. The entire tournament is filled with logical fallacies that serve only to make the lives of the officials easier and not to make the game more fair for the players.
I am Spartacus.

User avatar
CoachJET
Lulu
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Well, We all Know...

Post by CoachJET » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:28 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:We all know that Panasonic rules and regulations are ridiculous and unfair. For instance, apparently if one team rings in but another team answers (with the correct answer, though incorrect might count too, haven't checked), the question is thrown out regardless of whether the first team had the correct answer or not. The entire tournament is filled with logical fallacies that serve only to make the lives of the officials easier and not to make the game more fair for the players.
Did this stuff actually happen at PAC this year? Because it shouldn't have. Below is an excerpt from the official PAC rules:

---------------

15. The tournament director and judges have final authority during competition play. They make decisions when:

(a) a challenge is made

(b) team gives questionable response

(c) wrong team responds

The reader recognizes the team that has hit its button first by calling the team number and name. Teams are cautioned not to respond unless their team number and name have been called. In the event a team who has not been recognized gives a response, the reader asks for a response from the recognized team.


(d) wrong team is recognized

If the question reader recognizes a team incorrectly and rules on the correctness of the response, then the question is discarded and is replaced. The replacement question may not be from the subject area.

---------------

Item (c) specifies that a recognized team should still get the chance to answer even if another team has already blurted something out. So if the judges did indeed throw out a question when that happened, they were wrong to do so. (But if the judges recognized the wrong team, then yes, the question should be discarded and a replacement is used.)

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Post by First Chairman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:30 pm

I doubt this was the first time that rules were never really followed.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

BobGHHS
Rikku
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: Garfield Heights, Ohio

Post by BobGHHS » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:56 pm

It happened in our semifinal room -- this was the question where Papa hit Kipp...

I forget what the question was, but it was some ordering question and California rung in... Kipp shouted out 3421 or something like that before California was even recognized.

Now according to the rules, California should have been allowed to answer, and they had the right answer. The question was thrown out however, and a new question was read to ALL teams... which Kentucky proceeded to get. Now, it didn't make a difference in Kentucky's placing really, because they were far ahead. California however, only ended up beating us by 9 points total, and it could have meant the difference between getting out of the room and going home empty-handed.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats

User avatar
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 3080
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post by DumbJaques » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:38 pm

hardeecoach wrote:
Some of my team members overheard Panasonic staff discussing an "incident". Anybody know the scoop? Inquiring minds want to know.


The incident involved team NH. In the second game there was a question about the order of events in "A Midsummer Night Dream." The judges ruled the response incorrect, and our team challenged it. One judge left the room and returned at the end of round two and ruled that the challenge had been denied, which cost us 20 points. We ended up losing to Montana by 225-209. After the game, my teammate who had issued the challenge talked with the judges. As it turned out, the judge who left failed to do his due-dilligenge and only asked one judge if he had confidence in the question he wrote. Our response was in fact correct, but Peggy Harrod ruled that the decision of the judges was final, barring us from remaining in the tournament. This was even more aggravating as the previous day against NJ, we had about a ten point lead after the team question, when the judges came back and ruled that NJ's challenge to a third round question had succeeded, giving them 30 points and the win.

That's the dirt. Twisted Evil
If this is true, then PAC has entered a very new realm of questionable competition. Why people insist on supporting the illogical "paper/judges are right even when they're wrong" crap is beyond me, and that kind of approach is very quickly going to get left in the dust as teams collectively move forward. Assuming it actually happened like that, it bodes quite poorly for PAC's tournament.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

User avatar
Youse Da Force
Wakka
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:45 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ
Contact:

Post by Youse Da Force » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:34 pm

BobGHHS wrote:It happened in our semifinal room -- this was the question where Papa hit Kipp...

I forget what the question was, but it was some ordering question and California rung in... Kipp shouted out 3421 or something like that before California was even recognized.

Now according to the rules, California should have been allowed to answer, and they had the right answer. The question was thrown out however, and a new question was read to ALL teams... which Kentucky proceeded to get.
This was because. according to the moderator, he had already begun to say correct before he realized the wrong team had said the answer. No one else heard him say it (I didn't anyway) , and California tried to argue this, but that was why he threw out the question.

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Post by brownboy79 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:58 am

Mr. Kilner,
I think he did recognize California before Kipp started his answers. And I saw him nod after Kipp finished. So he acknowledged that we had the right answer. It wasn't a particularly hard question, and I'm fairly sure that California had it right too. I really don't think that it would've helped Ohio to have California answer that question, but that's just speculation. Regardless, according to the rules, he did it right. Part d of the rules above are almost exactly the same with what the situation was, atleast to me. And while he definitely didn't say anything, I think he was better off playing it safe and just throwing it out. In the end, it hurt California a bit, but better to throw out a shady ruling than to give an advantage to a team after said shadiness.

By the way, I think the way that PAC rules those, is somewhat good. If the other team is recognized as correct, it should be thrown out. But there is also a provision against teams doing that repeatedly, just to irritate the opponents.

BobGHHS
Rikku
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: Garfield Heights, Ohio

Post by BobGHHS » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:03 am

I really don't think that it would've helped Ohio to have California answer that question, but that's just speculation.
No, I'm saying it helped us more that you got the replacement question right. If they would have gotten that question, they would have been up by 17 going into the last round instead of just 2...

I don't particularly care at this point, its all said and done. Kentucky blew out our room and I was surprised to see what happened to them in the finals.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats

Saiem
Wakka
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:45 am
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Contact:

Post by Saiem » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:22 pm

Sorry if I'm a bit delayed in responding about FL tournaments... but as a student at Rickards - one of the more competitive teams in the panhandle - I must say that the reason we don't go to more tournaments is largely due to sponsors. That isn't inherently their fault, but its honestly alot of hassle for them.

Our club usually has alot of money to throw around to registration fees and transportation costs for 2-3 teams since we hold two tournaments a year. Every time I hear about an NAQT tournament being held in like Savannah, GA, I cringe a little. I know that if the club begs them enough, they will do it... but we'd have to sacrifice going to fewer events or holding fewer tournaments. Its kind of a pain knowing that they are giving up their saturdays that they could instead be spending with their families. Its just kind of a bad situation. We don't have any young sponsors that'll be willing to go with us somewhere. In the spring, this situation became so dire, that we almost couldn't attend the UF state NAQT tournament. Our sponsors were unwilling to go... so we kinda broke several rules and went to the tournament as a two person team (me and Allan Long). We had one of our better finishes of the year.. a 3rd place in the State tourney.

This same concept applies analogously to hosting tournaments. Our sponsors have realized that we, the students, will be doing most of the work. Their main job is to collect registration, buy the snacks and pizza, and make sure that everything gets done fairly. I think we will host a middle school event or two this year.

I think most of the panhandle area really enjoys the NAQT format as opposed to CAC, PAC, or PACE formats. It is significantly more... regular. If there is an outcry for a PACE style tournament, we may make our spring tournament PACE, but I doubt it.

Its a shame that we don't attend more tournaments, even in our own state.

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:08 pm

More PACE clarification must be necessary here.

Coming from NKC, a program with a sponsor who is over 60 and married with kids etc. etc. We have never had trouble getting places. Mr. Allen always makes the time to get us as far away as Vanderbilt, Tulsa, Arkansas, you name it (and we would be going a lot further if Missouri's rules allowed). So I just think people should know that there are coaches who do successfully balance all the travel and other quiz bowl necessities along with their real lives. I am aware that Mr. Allen is in a group of coaches that is pretty exceptional in how much effort is made for the team, but that group of coaches is almost always the group with teams making the playoffs at nationals (OK, NKC hasn't much, but even then Mr. Allen is putting in the effort). If your coaches are fine with reducing your team's potential by keeping their personal lives the priority (and I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to live normal lives) then they shouldn't care as much when they never build a nationally dominant type of program. It's a kind of trade-off (although I think my coach is proof is that it can be done successfully).
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
Matthew D
Yuna
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Scenic Grant Alabama

Post by Matthew D » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:37 pm

We ended up making it a family affair after my wife became my assistant coach when I moved over to Scottsboro and started a team here. Now we have one playing, my 13 year old daughter, on the JH team and my 9 year son just tags along when he wants to or stays with his grandmother in town when he doesn't what to go. It is possible to balance the two, life and quizbowl, but is possible

User avatar
PatMan
Kimahri
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Post by PatMan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:43 am

BobGHHS wrote:It happened in our semifinal room -- this was the question where Papa hit Kipp...

I forget what the question was, but it was some ordering question and California rung in... Kipp shouted out 3421 or something like that before California was even recognized.

Now according to the rules, California should have been allowed to answer, and they had the right answer. The question was thrown out however, and a new question was read to ALL teams... which Kentucky proceeded to get. Now, it didn't make a difference in Kentucky's placing really, because they were far ahead. California however, only ended up beating us by 9 points total, and it could have meant the difference between getting out of the room and going home empty-handed.
I was a bit distressed by this question, because in the end the only team to be penalized by Kentucky's mistake was California, and they had been recognized as buzzing in first. Ohio was greatly helped by this because they were very close to 2nd place and it could have turned the whole game around for them, if they had gotten the new question right then they would probably have been in the finals instead of California. This is not to knock the Ohio team the were a good, and it all did turn out ok in the end, but I think there needs to be some penalty for just the sort of thing that happened and not for the team that was rooked.


I also want to congratulate Team Illinois, you guys have been great to us the past two years that we competed at PAC, your not only a great team but great people!

BobGHHS
Rikku
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: Garfield Heights, Ohio

Post by BobGHHS » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 pm

This is not to knock the Ohio team the were a good, and it all did turn out ok in the end, but I think there needs to be some penalty for just the sort of thing that happened and not for the team that was rooked.
You're right, and that was the point I was trying to make... whether the rule is a bad one, or they didn't follow it correctly, California nearly got hosed by the result of this question. Especially because what their girl (who made AA) had on her paper was correct (she was sitting right in front of me).

Oh well, it didn't end up mattering, California still beat us, so all is fine and dandy.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats

User avatar
Kechara
Wakka
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:28 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Post by Kechara » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:24 pm

SaiemGilani wrote: I must say that the reason we don't go to more tournaments is largely due to sponsors. That isn't inherently their fault, but its honestly alot of hassle for them. We don't have any young sponsors that'll be willing to go with us somewhere.
Have you tried asking your parents to go? I don't know if FL has rules that prohibit it, but I've seen parents go instead of sponsors plenty of times...the key seems to be having a responsible adult, not whether that adult is paid by the school. In fact, my coach in high school only went to the Saturday tv show...she never went to Saturday invitational tournaments because she was Jewish and was at the synagogue all day. My freshman and sophomore years we had one parent that took us everywhere. After her son graduated we had to scrounge a lot more, but we were always able to find someone.
Jessie Francis

jewtemplar
Rikku
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:18 am
Location: Burke, VA
Contact:

Post by jewtemplar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Kechara wrote:
Have you tried asking your parents to go? I don't know if FL has rules that prohibit it, but I've seen parents go instead of sponsors plenty of times...the key seems to be having a responsible adult, not whether that adult is paid by the school. In fact, my coach in high school only went to the Saturday tv show...she never went to Saturday invitational tournaments because she was Jewish and was at the synagogue all day. My freshman and sophomore years we had one parent that took us everywhere. After her son graduated we had to scrounge a lot more, but we were always able to find someone.
Team VA had a parent as sponsor from 2002-2004. It's totally alright with the powers-that-be.

jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by jbarnes112358 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:11 pm

jewtemplar wrote:
Kechara wrote:
Have you tried asking your parents to go? I don't know if FL has rules that prohibit it, but I've seen parents go instead of sponsors plenty of times...the key seems to be having a responsible adult, not whether that adult is paid by the school. In fact, my coach in high school only went to the Saturday tv show...she never went to Saturday invitational tournaments because she was Jewish and was at the synagogue all day. My freshman and sophomore years we had one parent that took us everywhere. After her son graduated we had to scrounge a lot more, but we were always able to find someone.
Team VA had a parent as sponsor from 2002-2004. It's totally alright with the powers-that-be.
Maggie Walker does not allow a parent to be the adult in charge at tournaments unless they go through the paper work for becoming a "substitute teacher." Does TJ have such a requirement? I suppose they do not.

User avatar
BuzzerZen
Auron
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA/Hampshire College
Contact:

Post by BuzzerZen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:36 pm

jbarnes112358 wrote:Maggie Walker does not allow a parent to be the adult in charge at tournaments unless they go through the paper work for becoming a "substitute teacher." Does TJ have such a requirement? I suppose they do not.
Technically...we do. But do not tell anyone.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?

User avatar
Matthew D
Yuna
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Scenic Grant Alabama

Post by Matthew D » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:13 pm

Our system does not allow non certified personal to take anyone anywhere. My wife, our assistant coach, can't take the JH team to a tournament unless we can get another teacher to go even though she is a 12 month employee of the school board as a bookkeeper. Go figure

User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Post by quizbowllee » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Matthew D wrote:Our system does not allow non certified personal to take anyone anywhere. My wife, our assistant coach, can't take the JH team to a tournament unless we can get another teacher to go even though she is a 12 month employee of the school board as a bookkeeper. Go figure
Same here. I coached for several years before I finished college and was a certified teacher. EVERY tournament we went to, I had to find some teacher willing to give up a Saturday and tag along. They did nothing, because I was the coach. They just had to be there. Even as a certified sub, I was not allowed to take the team to a tournament.

This is still a hassle for me. If I have a conflict on a given Saturday, then my whole team has to miss a tournament.

Matt, come back to BMHS so I can get a Saturday off :wink:

User avatar
Matthew D
Yuna
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Scenic Grant Alabama

Post by Matthew D » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:33 am

LOL.. I think I would have a big problem with my new boss about bailing on them now but I seriously feel you pain Lee... but I have got the kids old enough to be traveling around with us now...

User avatar
Howard
Yuna
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 5:42 pm
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Post by Howard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:11 pm

jewtemplar wrote:Team VA had a parent as sponsor from 2002-2004. It's totally alright with the powers-that-be.
BuzzerZen wrote:
jbarnes112358 wrote: Maggie Walker does not allow a parent to be the adult in charge at tournaments unless they go through the paper work for becoming a "substitute teacher." Does TJ have such a requirement? I suppose they do not.
Technically...we do. But do not tell anyone.
Apparently, it's not "totally alright." And you've just told the entire world.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Matt Weiner » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:15 pm

Howard wrote:Apparently, it's not "totally alright." And you've just told the entire world.
Oh no, now Virginia won't be able to send a team to Panasonic anymore. What a tragedy.

STPickrell
Auron
Posts: 1501
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Contact:

Post by STPickrell » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Matt Weiner wrote:
Howard wrote:Apparently, it's not "totally alright." And you've just told the entire world.
Oh no, now Virginia won't be able to send a team to Panasonic anymore. What a tragedy.
Actually, Virginia will send a team. I suspect the folks that went before TJ started going will pick up again. I think it was the winner of the AVA (Association of Virginia Academies) Scholastic Bowl league.

jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by jbarnes112358 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:09 pm

The follow-ups to this post have been split into a thread in Misc --Mod
StPickrell wrote:
Actually, Virginia will send a team. I suspect the folks that went before TJ started going will pick up again. I think it was the winner of the AVA (Association of Virginia Academies) Scholastic Bowl league.

I am not familiar with the group you mention, but hopefully they would not send a team to PAC as currently constituted. The most effective way that PAC or any other tournament will be reformed is if people vote with their feet. Just as Virginia led the way in the American Revolution, hopefully we will be at the forefront of the quizbowl revolution that is really starting to pick up steam. There is little reason for teams to go to "bad" tournaments when better alternatives are available, or at least until the "bad" tournaments reform themselves.

Only around half the states went to PAC, and many of the teams there were not nearly the best the state could have sent. I mean no disrespect to the many excellent players in attendance. Many attended for reasons of expediency, bureaucratic momentum, or reasons beyond their control. The number of teams that actually like the format seems to be in decline, however. Many apparently only like to go for a "free" trip to Orlando.

It has been alleged that some teams go to "bad" national tournaments because they might have a better chance of doing well. Well, if so, perhaps there is a need for two or more tiers of competition in high school quizbowl, just like the NCAA has its divisions in football, etc. But, why not have any level play on quality questions with formats that tend to favor the best (i.e., most knowledgeable) team winning. Again, no disrespect intended to Illinois or others that finished highly. Illinois may very have been the best team there. They obviously had an excellent team. But, the format does create strange situations and likely upsets.

I hope I do not offend anyone. Heck, my school sent players to PAC as recently as last year. I don't begrudge anyone for going to PAC or
:chip: or wherever. Quizbowl is basically a free market. And in a free market, the consumer wins in the end. If PAC and :chip: survive, more power to them. But, more and more, consumers are demanding better, and they are getting it.

Locked