NBA Draft

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

NBA Draft

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

To fill the foul void of meaninglessness which is the period between the end of the NBA Finals and the beginning of college football, how about some thoughts on the NBA draft?

I thought Seattle made out like bandits, getting Jeff Green and Sczczczerbiak and Delonte West for Ray Allen. Add in Durant and they've got a nice base for 2-3 years from now (though they're almost sure to lose Rashard Lewis).

Bulls fans will love Jo Noah, and other NBA fans will grow to hate him very quickly. Stephen A. Smith will be proven wrong for the 11,000th time in his comments that Noah won't add much to the Bulls due to his lack of offense. He'll be a great garbage scorer and defender, and he'll help put the Bulls into the Finals next year.

Golden State got a good player in the Italian, Belinelli. I remember him scoring at will against the USA team at the Worlds last summer.

And Houston got a steal in Aaron Brooks at 26. He's an NBA scorer already, and if he can improve his PG skills, he'll help them a bunch immediately.

The gap between the Western and Eastern Conferences is just going to grow in the next couple years.

What else?
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Re: NBA Draft

Post by Dan Greenstein »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:To fill the foul void of meaninglessness which is the period between the end of the NBA Finals and the beginning of college football, how about some thoughts on the NBA draft?
Tour de France, dude. It bridges the post-analysis of the NBA Draft and Wimbledon and the start of NFL training camps. Granted, only cycling fans will know anyone who is in this year's race. Hint: the front runner shares his last name with one of the hardcore ACFers on this board.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Tour de France isn't really a spectator sport for me though... I will watch the daily recap on ESPN but I wouldn't follow it throughout the day.

I will agree that Seattle made off like a bandit in this one because to get three players of that quality plus a draft pick in a later draft for Ray Allen and Glen Davis seems on the surface to be an awesome deal. If Glen Davis turns into a star, though, it will be leveled to just an OK deal unless Green plays very well.

Portland should be a contender next year with Oden and Roy if Oden plays well in his rookie effort.

Thoughts on Kevin Garnett? Will they finally pull the trigger on something ?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Dan Greenstein wrote:
ValenciaQBowl wrote:To fill the foul void of meaninglessness which is the period between the end of the NBA Finals and the beginning of college football, how about some thoughts on the NBA draft?
Tour de France, dude. It bridges the post-analysis of the NBA Draft and Wimbledon and the start of NFL training camps. Granted, only cycling fans will know anyone who is in this year's race. Hint: the front runner shares his last name with one of the hardcore ACFers on this board.
There's also the America's Cup.

I at least find it interesting.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Dan Greenstein wrote:Tour de France, dude. It bridges the post-analysis of the NBA Draft and Wimbledon and the start of NFL training camps. Granted, only cycling fans will know anyone who is in this year's race. Hint: the front runner shares his last name with one of the hardcore ACFers on this board.
Steroid McBlooddoper is editing ACF now?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Dan Greenstein wrote:Tour de France, dude. It bridges the post-analysis of the NBA Draft and Wimbledon and the start of NFL training camps. Granted, only cycling fans will know anyone who is in this year's race. Hint: the front runner shares his last name with one of the hardcore ACFers on this board.
Steroid McBlooddoper is editing ACF now?
Here's where some mod hilariously changes someone's user name to Steroid McBlooddoper.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Seriously, all due respect to our colleague from Brown, but any athletic competition at which a Ukranian is best is not a sport in my book. And though I have tremendous respect for the fitness of those dudes, as said above, it doesn't make for compelling TV. And there's a very low athlete-stripper-interaction ratio in cycling, too.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Seriously, all due respect to our colleague from Brown, but any athletic competition at which a Ukranian is best is not a sport in my book. And though I have tremendous respect for the fitness of those dudes, as said above, it doesn't make for compelling TV. And there's a very low athlete-stripper-interaction ratio in cycling, too.
Dude, Ukrainians were the best at like heavyweight boxing and figure skating for a while. Okay bad examples.
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Seriously, all due respect to our colleague from Brown, but any athletic competition at which a Ukranian is best is not a sport in my book. And though I have tremendous respect for the fitness of those dudes, as said above, it doesn't make for compelling TV. And there's a very low athlete-stripper-interaction ratio in cycling, too.
The cycle guy is actually from Kazakhstan. But point taken.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Dammit--the non-cycling Vinokurov told me last year the guy was from Kazakhstan, too. Just forgot. My apologies to all Ukranians and Kazakhs.

So anyway, how long till LSU-Va Tech?
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Damn skippy Borglum, by the way

69 days 18 hrs 37 seconds....
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl