Consolation Brackets

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mithokie
Rikku

Consolation Brackets

Post by mithokie »

I am planning on hosting a tournament using round-robin pool play in the morning for seeding and then breaking into a tournament for the afternoon.

If you were on a team that was not competing for the big trophies, would you still want to play out the rest of the tourney in full consolation brackets?... (My illustration to make sure you know what I mean)

If I had an 8 team tourney, I would then seed the teams for the first round
1-8, 4-5, 2-7, 3-6

Round 2
Winners play in Semifinal: W of 1-8 vs. W of 4-5 and W 2-7 vs. W 3-6
Losers play as well: L of 1-8 vs. L of 4-5 and L 2-7 vs. L 3-6

Round 3
Semifinal Winners (WW) would play for 1st
Semifinal Losers (WL) would play for 3rd
Consolation Winners (LW) would play for 5th
Consolation Losers (LL) would play for 7th

This way every team in the tournament bracket plays 3 tournament games, and the low seeded teams that might get trounced in the opening round are playing teams of similar ability level by the final round. Even the team that loses all the way out probably had a much more enjoyable and competitive match by the final round than they would in the first round.

I can extend the idea for any sized tournament bracket. Having coached teams that went to tournaments and been trounced in the first round of the playoffs, I think it would be great from an experience standpoint for the lower seed teams to get more games and more practice, and it should not detract from the experience of the top teams.

I imagine that resources (particularly the human tournament worker type) are the biggest reason most tournaments don't do this. It would essentially mean that all of your readers would need to read all day long... Is that too much to ask of your volunteers? Do you need two readers per room to alternate rounds to have them last all day long?

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The standard practice in Illinois is to play the 3rd place match but have all other teams go home after losing a playoff round. Most teams like it that way, though different people have different tastes.

Generally, teams that get trounced in the playoffs are happy that they made the playoffs in the first place, feel like they have gotten their money's worth by that time, and try to make it home in time for dinner. I'm not endorsing that viewpoint, because you're correct that those 5th and 7th place matches would be good practice, but it's common.

What you might want to do is just ask coaches before the playoffs start what they want to do if they lose a match. If you get a consensus, then everybody will be happy.

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

There is one big tournament that plays out 8 places .... I kind of like getting your money's worth (win in the morning, and you know that you are getting 4 afternoon rounds ...... ), but I know there are some that prefer the "get out of here" mode. I'm with Dr. Reinstein: ask the coaches to reply by a certain date, and go with the consensus.

Captain Sinico
Auron

Re: Consolation Brackets

Post by Captain Sinico »

AHS Eagles wrote:I imagine that resources (particularly the human tournament worker type) are the biggest reason most tournaments don't do this. It would essentially mean that all of your readers would need to read all day long... Is that too much to ask of your volunteers? Do you need two readers per room to alternate rounds to have them last all day long?
I think you should be able to find readers willing to do this for you, especially if you plan well so things get done on time.
In my experience, a bigger issue with running consolation rounds, and one that you've already touched on, is the fact that teams often don't want to stay and their leaving can wreck your scheme (which is otherwise well and good.) So, I'd advise you to take whatever steps you think expedient to keep that from happening.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
ACF
IHSSBCA
PACE

The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco »

The other option to consider, which is not quite as common in high school, is to break into two 4-team brackets (upper and lower) for the playoffs, so everyone plays three more games. This has a fairly similar effect to yours, except that all of a team's afternoon games are against those with similar abilities. Unfortunately, it also has the strong possibility of giving the 5th seed the short end of the stick, since they might be very close to the 4th seed in ability level.