SEC Pants Party!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

SEC Pants Party!

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'll happily pick up the gauntlet seemingly set gently on the ground by Fred in the ACC thread. Though I'm a die-hard Gator and devotee of SEC football in general, I don't think my conference will be the toughest in the country this year. That actually could be the PAC-10, with USC, Cal, Oregon, UCLA, and an up-and-coming Arizona St. all seeming pretty strong. After LSU, all the SEC teams have clear areas of concern, though I figure most will plug them up with good, young players by the end of the season. But LSU might be the best in the nation if they get good QB play from Flynn or Perriloux.

Here are my best guesses (which historically have proven to be ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE):

SEC East:
Florida (10-2)
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy

SEC West:
LSU (11-1)
Auburn
Arkansas
Alabama
Miss St.
Ole Miss

By the SEC Championship game, UF's secondary will have grown up some, and I think (hope?) they'll beat LSU in the rematch in Atlanta. But that's going to be tough. Thoughts?
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I m a blue blooded kentucky fan so heres my preseaon SEC.

Sec East

Florida
South Carolina
Georgia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vandy

Sec West

LSU
Arkansas
Alabama
Auburn
Miss ST
Ole Miss

It s going to be Lsu vs. Florida in the Sec Championship game. Kentucky Will be well lead by the best QB in the SEC Andre' Woodson and could win so close games most people are saying the upsets for them will be Louisville and Tennessee which is why I have them ahead of Tennessess In my preseason SEC look. Also Seven teams on Ky s schedule are in the top 25 poll.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

If you're a blue-blooded Kentucky fan, Andrew, what are you doing making football picks? Shouldn't you be holding a "Win or else!" sign in Billy Gillespie's front yard?

Ah, cheap shots, SEC style. Snideness aside, I agree that Woodson is awesome and underrated, and I'll be rooting for y'all against Louisville. I hope that their new coach/system and the fact it's the first game will give you guys an edge. The only problem is that there are no easy games in the East this year; even Vandy is okay, so y'all need to beat two out of the other four--tough! Good luck!
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

The SEC not the toughest? I'm not sure I agree with that- sure we may not have any superstar national champ contenders this year, but the SEC East at least may be the deepest division in I-A for the quality of teams on the whole. Even in the West the MS teams might be returning to respectability and LSU shouldn't have any weaknesses.

To the prognostication:

SEC East
Florida (unfortunately)
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy

Again, though Kentucky and Vandy have both improved immensely, I don't see them getting the chance to knock off any team above them in the SEC, except perhaps Tennessee. South Carolina should finally be firing on all cylinders, but Georgia has finally gotten its offense in shape to do some damage and so long as Florida has Urban Meyer they'll get the most out of their talent, which probably means winning the east yet again.

West
LSU
Auburn
Arkansas
Alabama
Ole Miss
Miss State

In the West I actually considered putting Arkansas below Alabama thanks to the brilliant play calling of Houston Nutt and the complete lack of a passing game, but then I considered they just may put McFadden at QB and win a few games. Auburn is due to have a good year after disappointing last year and I just don't think even Nick Saban can turn Alabama completely around in one year.

Random guesses:
- Ole Miss will upset Arkansas
- South Carolina will knock off Florida but lose to Kentucky. Spurrer will chuck the visor.
- Vandy will beat UT- again, but lose to some non-conference opponent and not get bowl-eligible
- Georgia and Florida will combine to score 70+ points this year.
- Andre Woodson will continue to be the best QB in the league, but will get overshadowed by a lack of supporting cast.
- McFadden will not get the Heisman this year- in fact, he may not even be the best rusher on his team
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:If you're a blue-blooded Kentucky fan, Andrew, what are you doing making football picks? Shouldn't you be holding a "Win or else!" sign in Billy Gillespie's front yard?

Ah, cheap shots, SEC style. Snideness aside, I agree that Woodson is awesome and underrated, and I'll be rooting for y'all against Louisville. I hope that their new coach/system and the fact it's the first game will give you guys an edge. The only problem is that there are no easy games in the East this year; even Vandy is okay, so y'all need to beat two out of the other four--tough! Good luck!
If your a gator fan why are youy talking about basketball I thought all you guys did was talk about football. BCG is The man and will lead UK to Our first title game since 98 when tubby became coach and make it #8. Lets compare Uk 7 national championships> Gators 2
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Andrew from JC wrote:
ValenciaQBowl wrote:If you're a blue-blooded Kentucky fan, Andrew, what are you doing making football picks? Shouldn't you be holding a "Win or else!" sign in Billy Gillespie's front yard?

If your a gator fan why are youy talking about basketball I thought all you guys did was talk about football. BCG is The man and will lead UK to Our first title game since 98 when tubby became coach and make it #8. Lets compare Uk 7 national championships> Gators 2
Wait, let's compare.

We'll use 10 seasons as benchmark since it's when Pitino left, and talk recent history. Also, you're not old enough to bring up most of those national championships.

National championships in last 10 seasons: Florida 2, Kentucky 1.
Final fours in last 10 seasons: Florida 3, Kentucky 1.

Also, Florida has now won six straight over Kentucky.

A few other things: not every Florida fan is a football-only fan. In fact, most that I know like basketball as well. I personally started going to both football and basketball games at the age of 2. Plus, don't act like people weren't going crazy in Lexington about the possibility of Billy Donovan coming; they were, and they immediately turned on him when he declined. Additionally, please try to use the semblance of coherent English as well as correct spelling.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

DeisEvan wrote:Additionally, please try to use the semblance of coherent English as well as correct spelling.
Because sports are the world of intellectuals.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
DeisEvan wrote:Additionally, please try to use the semblance of coherent English as well as correct spelling.
Because sports are the world of intellectuals.
Sports may not necessarily be full of smart people, but this board is supposed to be. Also see rule #2. If you want to invoke Godwin's Law and call me a grammar Nazi, I really don't care. Go ahead.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

GRAMMAR NATSEE
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Just giving you the business SEC-style, Andrew. It's what we do.

Anyway, I attended damn near every home Gator basketball game between (ahem) 1986 and 1992 when the Gators had Vernon Maxwell and Dwayne Schintzius, among others; I love that game, too. And it's kind of hard to give too much crap to the Gators right now, sitting on three straight NCs in the two sports that matter (no offense, lacrosse guys!). I wish Gillespie luck--it's got to be hard knowing you're sloppy seconds . . .
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

The MS schools aren't returning to respectability, that's one thing. Ole Miss won't beat Arkansas, even in Oxford, and while McFadden may not win the Heisman, he is the best runner on his team.

Having said that, here goes nothin'...

East:

1. South Carolina
2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. Tennessee
5. Kentucky
6. Vanderbilt

West:

1. Arkansas
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Auburn
5. Ole Miss
6. Mississippi State
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Picking the 'Cocks to win the East is ballsy, but if their O-line comes together, they've got a veteran QB in Mitchell who can open up Spurrier's offense and score points. They were thisclose to beating UT, UGA, UF (really, a ridiculous miracle to block three kicks), and Auburn last year, so now they just have to close some games out.

I don't know anything about their defense really, but then again, neither does Spurrier.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

argh gimme that gauntlet back

SEC East
1. Florida - Florida is vulnerably this year, with just three likely seniors starting on the defensive side of things - including just one returning starter. However, they bring back Tim Tebow and Andre Caldwell and most of their O-line. Plus, they're Florida - athleticism is kind of their thing. They should end up fine, with two of the toughest teams on their schedule coming to their home field in Troy and Western Kentucky (ah, I couldn't resist that - but UT and Auburn coming to them will help). However, they will lose to LSU and they'll likely face LSU again in the SEC Championship game again.
2. Tennessee - UT has a weak in-conference schedule this year which will help their win total. The three teams they get from the west are Arkansas, Miss State and Alabama - all beatable. I think they'll lose at California, they will lose at Florida, but should be able to take Georgia and Alabama. Erik Ainge is a pretty good college QB and their rushing offense has been improving, and their D should still be solid, albeit not spectacular.
3. Georgia - Matt Stafford is improving as a QB, but they lost nearly everyone on defense (just three starters return) and won't be as good on that side as last year. With an offense that is average at best, a defensive decline will be a problem.
4. South Carolina - Talentwise, I like South Carolina more than Georgia. But they travel to LSU and Tennessee and host Florida, play at Georgia and also at Arkansas. I think this'll combine to give them a losing record in-conference. This season will not be the one that Steve Spurrier moves the Gamecocks offense forward.
5. Kentucky - The Wildcats have a really good offense this year, but they're victimized by a weak defense and a particularly difficult schedule. I'd like to say they'd get to be bowl eligible, but I don't see it happening.
6. Vanderbilt - Chris Nickson is good. The rest of the team, not so much. At least they'll beat Ole Miss and their weak non-conference schedule that isn't Wake Forest.

SEC West
1. LSU - I have a feeling LSU will lose to someone, but they have a really great defense and an offense that could be good. I just can't find the game on the schedule that they'd lose. Both UF and VaTech go to their turf, which I think will give the Tigers the boost necessary. Everyone else is not in their league, unless McFadden has a Barry Sanders game. And against this defense, that'd be hard to do. Still, I would favor UF in the SEC championship game - they just have more talent and at a neutral site that should go through.
2. Arkansas - There are certain players who can singlehandedly carry a team to victory. Darius McFadden is one of these players. Arkansas probably wouldn't finish this high if he was just a great running back, but he's one of the all time best in the college ranks. There's not much else on this team - Felix Jones is a good running back - but Darren is a beast. In conclusion, McFadden, McFadden, McFadden.
3. Auburn - I am not a fan of these Tigers this year. The defense should be good again, but that offense is weak. Could end up 6-6, but 8-4 is more likely.
4. Alabama - Saban's a good coach and all, but he comes back to a schedule with most tough games on the road, a porous defense and a one-dimensional offense that doesn't convince me has any ability to run the ball. Give them two years to make a super serious play at the SEC title.
5. Ole Miss - lulz (but do watch BenJarvus Green-Ellis)
6. Mississippi State - super lulz (0-8 in the SEC, I predict)
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Also, every time I write about the SEC, I need to say this, but I'm typing it in caps so everyone will read it and I won't have to retype it over and over, because it's like yelling, and if you yell you obviously never have to repeat yourself.

Anyway, here goes: I HATE SEC FANS BECAUSE THEY ARE CRYBABIES WHO ACT LIKE THEIR CONFERENCE WAS ORDAINED BY GOD TO BE THE GREATEST IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND EVERY SINGLE YEAR AND WILL WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EVEN WHEN THIS ISN'T TRUE LIKE THIS YEAR. THE ONLY GROUP OF FANS THAT IS MORE ANNOYING ARE THOSE WHO FOLLOW NOTRE DAME AND THINK THEYLL GO AT LEAST 10-2 EVERY SINGLE YEAR

That is all.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

leftsaidfred wrote: I HATE SEC FANS...CRYBABIES... ANNOYING
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dolemite wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote: I HATE SEC FANS...CRYBABIES... ANNOYING
too long, didn't read
Fred Morlan
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

SEC fans crybabies? Last year all those Big 10ers were aching for a rematch but fortunately common sense prevailed and Florida showed that Urban Meyer could coach well enough to destroy the Big 10 champ. Whether that can happen again this year is a matter of speculation, but I would hesitate to dismiss talk of the SEC champ repeating again, especially like I said earlier compared to the depth of the other conferences.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

vig180 wrote:SEC fans crybabies? Last year all those Big 10ers were aching for a rematch but fortunately common sense prevailed and Florida showed that Urban Meyer could coach well enough to destroy the Big 10 champ. Whether that can happen again this year is a matter of speculation, but I would hesitate to dismiss talk of the SEC champ repeating again, especially like I said earlier compared to the depth of the other conferences.
I think it's more a matter of SEC fans (not necessarily the ones on this board) thinking that the SEC is the ONLY college football conference that exists and that every other conference is basically I-AA. These people exist, and there are many of them.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Pretty much what Pat said. It doesn't apply so much here, but I am tired of the attitude that the SEC is unquestionably the toughest conference every single year, when, last time I checked, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt are not bowl-level teams that have poor records due to schedule difficulties - they have poor records because they suck.

"Which would be a tougher situation for a football team? Playing in the SEC or the NFL?" "Which would be a tougher situation for a football team? Playing in the SEC or being caught in the Jewish ghettos of World War II?"
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Every conference has their share of crybabies, "we are the only conference" groups, and general pain-the-ass fans. It seems that a large number of people think it okay to be a true ass when they are "pullin" for their team.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

vig180 wrote:SEC fans crybabies? Last year all those Big 10ers were aching for a rematch but fortunately common sense prevailed and Florida showed that Urban Meyer could coach well enough to destroy the Big 10 champ. Whether that can happen again this year is a matter of speculation, but I would hesitate to dismiss talk of the SEC champ repeating again, especially like I said earlier compared to the depth of the other conferences.
In what way was not awarding that rematch "common sense?" To pretend there wasn't even a case for the other side seems as pointless as it is wrongheaded.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

I definitely agree there was a case to be made for both sides, but Michigan did get hammered by USC in the Rose Bowl and Florida DID destroy Ohio State, so it seems like the folks got it right.

Having said that, what was lost in the whole "SEC IS TEH AWESUM, EVERYONE ELSE IS THE SUX0RZZZZZ" that went on after Florida beat OSU was that the maligned Big 10 actually went 2-1 against the SEC in the bowl games.

And Vandy actually may be good enough to make a bowl this year. The Mississippi schools, however, still suck. However, Orgeron does make a fine Hummer commerical and Croom does do a good job of getting bad coaches fired for good ones, so there's that.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I think you're overstating the case a bit, Fred. As others have agreed, the SEC certainly has its share of overenthusiastic boosters, but so do the Big 12 and, especially, the Big Ten. Orlando is the city where no one's from here, so there are tons of Big Ten fans around. Ohio State's Central Florida booster club watches games at a sports bar close to my house, and I've made the mistake of going to that place when OSU has a game on; long before the BCS game I had plenty of OSU fans telling me how much better they were than the Gators and how overrated the SEC is (I'll have to be sure to stop by there this fall).

Any given year a conference other than the SEC may be as good or better, top to bottom, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that since 1990 any other conference has consistently been as strong.

And Michelangelo, the Gators made the Zooker available for y'all. This December, after he gets the Illini to 7-5 and a bowl, you'll have to start rooting for us . . .
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If it makes you feel any better, Ohio State fans are #3 on my hate list and, if it weren't for numbers, would push Notre Dame for #2.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Morlan are you a West Virginia fan?
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

If it makes you feel any better, Ohio State fans are #3 on my hate list and, if it weren't for numbers, would push Notre Dame for #2.
Dude, totally. **tears!**

SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matthew D wrote:Morlan are you a West Virginia fan?
Marshall, and you won't forget it if you know what's good for you :lol:
Fred Morlan
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

LOL.. okay Thundering Herd.. Just wondering because you are in my wife's families neck of the woods. My wife's grandmother graduated from Marshall but her mother is a Mountaineer...