2008 Richard Montgomery Quizbowl Tournament (4/19/08)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
segregold
Wakka

2008 Richard Montgomery Quizbowl Tournament (4/19/08)

Post by segregold »

The 2008 tournament at Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville, Maryland will now be April 19th, 2008. Cost will be $55, with a $10 discount for each working buzzer set and $5 discount per additional team.

Questions will be pyramidal, 5-6 lines (think NAQTs from two or three years back). We're not entirely sure how formatting is going to work, but you'll be guaranteed a good 5 or 6 prelim games along with playoffs.

April 19th is the first day of Passover, but I can guarantee that you will be out by sundown, and probably earlier. We're aiming for 3:00.

Shows of interest would be appreciated, either in the form of posts here or emails to me at [email protected].
Last edited by segregold on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

December 8 is the date for GSAC that Mehdi announced on the VA/DC/MD date claiming thread. We have not made a formal announcement yet, but that is the date we tentatively announced. I will look around for another date. I am not saying you should not use that date, but there could be teams that would like to attend both tournaments. Somehow we should try to get different dates for our tournaments as our clientele overlaps to some degree.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

I apologize, if it's a problem we can move it to the 15th (I believe). December 8th was the closest date between now and February that we could hold a tournament, there are all kinds of scheduling conflicts.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

The 15th may be a better date for overall turnout. The Delaware Fall Open is also on the 8th.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

We will try.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

We did change the date, should now be November 17th.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

There will actually be a tournament this year, right? (As the one last year got shelved on short notice)
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Last year we weren't able to get enough questions together in time for the deadline. That will not be the case this year, we already really have enough questions.

As a preliminary announcement, it is likely that a short trash round will be held in the morning (around 8:30-10:00) prior to the tournament. It will consist of two as-yet undefined preliminary leagues and a final round between the winner of each league. Details on that as we figure more of it out.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

11/17 is an it's academic taping date.
13 George Mason
National Cathedral
W.T. Woodson
14 Blake
Dominion
Bishop McNamara
15 C.H. Flowers
South County
T.C. Williams
16 Herndon
DeMatha
Walter Johnson

12/15 is also an it's academic taping date.
17 Anacostia
Fairfax
Paul VI
18 Langley
Mount Vernon
Quince Orchard
19 Gar-Field
Eleanor Roosevelt
West Springfield
20 Chantilly
Gaithersburg
Islamic Saudi Academy

So yeah, quite unfortunate for you guys...
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

The only teams it looks like we're missing who might come are Blake and WJ. So more like, too bad for you, Daichi.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

HATE
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

come'on, don't tell me you want QO, ER, and Langley more than George Mason, Woodson, Blake, WJ, and Dematha. have you forgotten the unlimited encouragement I've given you to make this event happen . . .? lol.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

aestheteboy wrote: Quince Orchard
Tell me more Ashkay stories.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

aestheteboy wrote:come'on, don't tell me you want QO, ER, and Langley more than George Mason, Woodson, Blake, WJ, and Dematha. have you forgotten the unlimited encouragement I've given you to make this event happen . . .? lol.
However, Dec. 15 is the Charter Open, so they would lose us too on Dec. 15
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Deesy Does It wrote:
aestheteboy wrote: Quince Orchard
Tell me more Ashkay stories.
First of all it's Akshay.

Second of all one time we were playing him and he buzzed in and yelled THREE PENNY OPERA! and it was right...
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

One time, the first clue gave the latitude and longitude of a city in a certain country. His teammate buzzed in with Cambodia. The answer was Laos. I gave the guy props. Akshay just punched him. Hard.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Akshay just punched him. Hard.
This is how most Akshay stories end.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Yeah, I'm sorry guys, we really can't change it. The 3rd is an SAT date, the 10th is Harvard's tournament, and the 24th is Thanksgiving. December is basically out anyway because we're going to be moving into the new school, but even if it was the 8th and the 15th are taken for Gov and GDS's tournaments anyway. We'll look into December 1st, but hell, that's probably someone's taping date too. Don't hold your breath.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

segregold wrote:We'll look into December 1st, but hell, that's probably someone's taping date too. Don't hold your breath.
Congratulations! It isn't! Nobody tapes that day!
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Congratulations! It isn't! Nobody tapes that day!
Still an SAT date, though.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I don't know how feasible it is, but you could always try hosting on a Sunday. That would at least eliminate a lot of SAT / Taping issues, although I guess it might limit some teams from coming for religious reasons.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Centennial said at the Paint Branch tournament that they were planning on running a tournament that weekend on Sunday, December 2.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Yeah. Alright so. Show of hands or whatever. If you would be interested in coming to a tournament at RM on or around November 17th or December 1st, post here so that I know. If you would only be interested in coming one of those dates, please specify which. I need to get an impression which date would get more teams to come.

HAY KEETH GO 2 UR EFFIN HOMECOMING

kthx,
-c deesNUTz
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

We will try to attend either date...but please decide somewhat quickly.

If you are going on Nov. 17th, we will be there. And I think you will get a good field of other teams.

If you are going on Dec. 1st, we will be there, but the field might be weaker/smaller, since it is an SAT day. However, this date choice would free us up to try to get to Brookwood's tourney.

So Kellenberg votes for Dec. 1st.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I personally don't think being on SAT date hurts as much as being on an it's ac taping date, but that's only a speculation . . .
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

aestheteboy wrote:I personally don't think being on SAT date hurts as much as being on an it's ac taping date, but that's only a speculation . . .
Actually, my experience is that it's just the reverse. And of course, that's just my opinion.

Realistically, if you try to miss major holidays, SAT dates, and DC and Baltimore tapings, there are really only a few Saturdays that fill the bill.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

We have yet another problem in that our school is charging us an exorbitant amount of money to rent the building. Working this all out and given that there are a lot of teams that can't come and a lot of tapings in the early portion of the year, we may just have a few speed tournaments in the fall and the pyramidal tournament in the spring. An alternative is that we will try and co-host the tournament with Julius West, our feeder school, so that we don't have to pay so much to use the building, although that still leaves the problem of the date.

More updates as they come to you. This is really pathetic. For once, we actually have enough questions to run a tournament, but we can't because of logistics.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Gov is interested in coming. 11/17 would probably work better for us, as 12/1 is so close to our own tournament date.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Our major pyramidal tournament is probably going to be postponed until the fall and be replaced with a speed tournament or a smaller pyramidal tournament. Because of our school's renovation, we can't find an acceptable date before January.

We are, however, having a tournament in the fall, most likely on a weekday after school. I will post new information as soon as it arrives.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Should we consider the Stakes on the calendar for 11/17, on the calendar for another date, or postponed until further notice?
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

March 8th or 15th I believe are free of competing tournaments.
TheNuttyHopper
Lulu

Post by TheNuttyHopper »

March 15th is the Weekend of Quizbowl.
"Lauren Feldman is a better history player than Dan Puma like I'm the Grand Witchdoctor of Timbuktu."

Also, March 8th seems to be the tournament at the University of Delaware, which seems to draw teams from DC up and may affect your field. Possibly, like, April? I dunno what else there is in DC then.

aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Blue Hen tournament probably won't be a major problem since most DC teams attended GDS's tournament, which used the same IS set.
Still, Keith's obliviousness is amusing.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Yeah I'd forgotten that DACQ thing was on the 15th. It's probably going to be the 8th, if we can get the school to approve.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Date change again, if you all were wondering.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

March 1 is VHSL States. OTOH, the only Northern VA teams going to that are TJ and Woodson.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

segregold wrote:again
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

March 1 is VHSL States. OTOH, the only Northern VA teams going to that are TJ and Woodson.
Well that's not good, we don't really want to lose TJ. I myself would prefer that it be in April, but my coach has his heart set on March, so we'll see what happens.

This date thing is a nightmare. I already have all the packets, it's just a question when we can have the thing.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

This is getting ridiculous, so I pose an open questions to any who seek to answer: is there anything going on April 5th? Clearly, I'm incapable of finding out for myself, and I want a date that we can actually hold the tournament.

Fredit: Watch the language in the high school section.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

segregold wrote: is there anything going on April 5th?
Not that I'm aware of...I don't know It's Ac/Battle of the Brains taping schedules though. Although those might be over by then...
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

I remember hearing somewhere about a possible Whitman tournament on April 5th, but Shantanu or Adam or one of the other Whitman people on here would need to confirm this. Also, not that I matter much, but I can't make the 5th due to a non-quizbowl commitment. GDS still might send a team without me, though.
TheNuttyHopper
Lulu

Post by TheNuttyHopper »

Also, not that I matter much,
Sooo true.
Last edited by TheNuttyHopper on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lauren Feldman is a better history player than Dan Puma like I'm the Grand Witchdoctor of Timbuktu."
Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe
Wakka

Post by Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe »

segregold wrote:This is getting ridiculous, so I pose an open questions to any who seek to answer: is there anything going on April 5th? Clearly, I'm incapable of finding out for myself, and I want a date that we can actually hold the tournament.
We have indeed reserved our school on April fifth for our very soon to be announced tournament.
Arian Fathieh
Lulu

Post by Arian Fathieh »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
segregold wrote: is there anything going on April 5th?
Not that I'm aware of...I don't know It's Ac/Battle of the Brains taping schedules though. Although those might be over by then...
They will not be done by then. Does anyone know where the definite schedule can be found? April 12 is our taping, so April 5 is probably someone else's.
Member of the UVA Quiz Bowl Team
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

I am officially declaring for myself and my team, "**** it". It is impossible to find a good date for this thing. Unless anything incredible happens (like someone else announces that they have been planning a March 1st tournament for three years), it is going to be on March 1st and TJ will just have to send its B team and sub in after VA states or something. Sorry, but we can't push it back past early April, this thing was originally intended to be in October.

Fredit: Dude, seriously - watch the language in the high school section.
Arian Fathieh
Lulu

Post by Arian Fathieh »

Thank you! I knew I had seen that list before but I could never find it again. You're awesome.

Guess there isn't a taping on the 5th though.
Member of the UVA Quiz Bowl Team
TheNuttyHopper
Lulu

Post by TheNuttyHopper »

April 5th is not a TV Taping date.