RESULTS--THS 1138 (3/1/08), Philadelphia PA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
yoda4554
Rikku

RESULTS--THS 1138 (3/1/08), Philadelphia PA

Post by yoda4554 »

For teams in the Mid-Atlantic, we at the newly-born Temple qb team would like to hold an NAQT IS tourney for you all at some point at the start of our spring semester, likely in early February. A) Is there interest, and if so how much?. B) Is there a particular weekend that would work best? You can either post here or email me (Dave Letzler) at dletzler_[AT]_temple.edu.
Last edited by yoda4554 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

The title of this, incidentally, should list the date as 2/08, if a mod can fix that...
mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

Maybe Moravian? And that's totally speculative at this point, especially since it'll come off the heels of ILMUNC (that is, Model UN) held at UPenn the weekend prior.

Good luck with starting a college bowl program, though! It's nice to see it developing in the eastern part of Pennsylvania, if not at the high school level...
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I could try to convince West Chester East to go, although I don't know if they gave up doing NAQT tournaments after their one bad experience with it.

By the way, if you edit your original post you can change the topic.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Ward Melville would be interested in attending, but we may be prohibited by lack of funding/coach.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Charter would very much like to have a tournament using set 74 somewhere around us. 72 would not be so good, as Jersey, D.C. and Delaware are all using it at some point.

However, February is the absolute worst month for us. It's our TV tournament as well as another competition. If it ends up being that month, I might be able to send a few teams, but we would not be at "full strength".
Last edited by btressler on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

EDIT: Ignore; I missed Mike's post.
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

Do you mean February '08 or February 8th?
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

Ok--actual information now:

Temple University Quiz Bowl, in the heart of North Philadelphia, will host THS 1138 for high school teams on Saturday, March 1st, 2008. This tournament will use NAQT's IS-74 for questions.

Here is the fee structure:

+$80 first team from a school
+$50 each subsequent team
-$10 per working buzzer system
-$10 per moderator

We have something of a shortage of buzzers, and a slightly lesser shortage of staff, so we'll appreciate having those.

Email me (Dave Letzler) at dletzler [AT] temple.edu to register or pose questions.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

I sent an email with some questions, but haven't gotten a reply yet so figured I'd post them in here.

What would be the itinerary for the tournament?

Do you have any official registration forms ?

Directions?

What buildings will the competition be located in?
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

maybe....

just maybe.....bergen county academies would attend

we have a team/administration that doesn't like traveling far though
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:maybe....

just maybe.....bergen county academies would attend

we have a team/administration that doesn't like traveling far though
You guys went to HHHW, its only about an extra 20-30 minutes on the road. Not as time consuming as a trip to, say, Maryland or DC.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

that's not quite the problem...
i would go, probably a bunch of other members would go too

but our adminstration needs a lot of time to approve a trip (up to 2 months i think)

so it would be a student run trip, which means no bus, which means parents drive, which is a little more complicated

maybe, by some stroke of luck, the administration would actually approve it.....
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:that's not quite the problem...
i would go, probably a bunch of other members would go too

but our adminstration needs a lot of time to approve a trip (up to 2 months i think)

so it would be a student run trip, which means no bus, which means parents drive, which is a little more complicated

maybe, by some stroke of luck, the administration would actually approve it.....
I'd love to do Student Run trips, but we have so many kids that come to comp's with us that its very hard to coordinate. We maybe have 1 or 2 teams playing, but up to 20 kids come just to hang out, talk with kids from other districts, etc etc.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

we don't really have kids coming just hang out with

but still with 8-10 kids coming, you need 2-3 parents driving

also, march 1st is an SAT date so most of our juniors (and about 50-60% of the team are juniors) couldn't come

so nothing is certain yet
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:we don't really have kids coming just hang out with

but still with 8-10 kids coming, you need 2-3 parents driving

also, march 1st is an SAT date so most of our juniors (and about 50-60% of the team are juniors) couldn't come

so nothing is certain yet
Thats why I'm looking for an SAT date not on big tournament days, lol.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

so i did a count, we have 11 non juniors on the team

obviously they won't all be able be able to ocme

i have a feeling we will only send one team
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:so i did a count, we have 11 non juniors on the team

obviously they won't all be able be able to ocme

i have a feeling we will only send one team
I didn't catch his name at Princeton, but is the one kid on C team who wears a Beret a junior or sophomore? (I'm still mad I missed my Manning power in that match that effectively gave them to win -_-)
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

that's gabe johnson-a sophomore

he's coming to BATE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

aarcoh wrote:that's gabe johnson-a sophomore

he's coming to BATE
Could you do me a favor & start capitalizing and using punctuation in your posts? Without those, it's sometimes hard to comprehend posts. Thanks.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Also, since it is North Philly, my advisor is concerned for our *ahem* safety. So any assurances of that would be greatly appreciated/an example of the boundaries between Temple/Good Neighborhood's and Bad.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Could you tell me what time the tournament plans to start? Since we have parents driving there they kind of need to know.
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

My apologies for not responding to these yet: I've had assorted college qb and administrative issues to deal with. Updates:

First, UPenn will probably be helping us staff--they have my thanks.

The tournament will likely take place in Anderson Hall, which is at 11th St. and Berks Ave. in North Philadelphia. There's a newly-paved, free parking lot at 11th and Montgomery (one block south and east of Anderson) that should have plenty of spaces on a Saturday morning. If you're driving from the west, take I-76 to I-676, then drive up Broad and take a right onto Montgomery; from the east, take I-95 to the Girard exit, take Girard to Broad St., and then turn at Montgomery. If you don't want to drive through North Philly, you can take the commuter rail to the Temple stop (just about every line goes through there) or Broad St. subway north from any of a number of nicer areas.

While North Philly itself is not terribly nice, it's true, the area around Temple (bordered by Broad, Diamond, 10th, and Cecil B. Moore) is a fine (dare I say even moderately attractive) urban campus; the parking lot I have suggested is literally one block from the campus police and is quite safe.

Based on requests, we can probably start registration at 9:15 and begin around 9:45.

I have heard of interest from the following teams at various points:

Bergen 2
Charter 4-5
Moravian 1-2
Ward Melville 1?
Marine Academy 1?
William Tennet 2
Stuy 1
Richard Montgomery ?
Hunter 1

I would like a slightly larger field, of course; our schedule will depend upon the number of teams playing. To register, email me (don't post here to register; I have everyone so far as tentative, so even if you've already contacted me, send an email to confirm) with the number of teams, buzzers, and staff you'll be bringing. I can send you an invoice once you've done that.

Thanks--hope to see some of you in a few weeks.
Last edited by yoda4554 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

Bump for field update. We've got a field of at least ten, without all of the question marks added in. And may I say that it's impressively cosmopolitan: we've got at least four states represented (Bergen from NJ, Stuy from NY, William Tennet from PA, and Charter Wilmington from DE), with a possible fifth (RM from MD); if the latter and Moravian make it, we'll have 6 of the NAQT top 50 from last year.

For those of you who are planning on coming but haven't emailed me to get your invoice yet, please do so as soon as you know what you're bringing, so we can sort out some logistics regarding rooms and necessary equipment.
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

I'd like to set a registration deadline for next Monday, the 25th, for this tournament. If you're planning on coming but haven't registered yet, please let me know over email what your plans are, generally.
slimg
Lulu

Re: UPDATES--THS 1138 (3/1/08), Philadelphia PA

Post by slimg »

Are you expecting two Moravian teams?
Gordon McCambridge: Moravian Academy-Captain
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

slimg wrote:Are you expecting two Moravian teams?
We got this field in email on Wednesday:

Bergen 2
Charter 6
Hunter 1
Marine Academy 1
Moravian Academy 2
Stuyvesant 1

I wouldn't mind getting a confirmation that we are indeed in Anderson Hall.

See everyone tomorrow.
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

The final email is out. See everyone tomorrow.
Dave Letzler--Williams '06, Temple '08, CUNY and bastard teams '12ish
yoda4554
Rikku

Re: RESULTS--THS 1138 (3/1/08), Philadelphia PA

Post by yoda4554 »

Brief results: Though Hunter went 11-0 in the prelims, in the advantaged final, Wilmington Charter A, whose only loss had been to Hunter, won two straight games (290-240, 400-275) to take the tournament. Stuyvesant, Moravian A, and Charter B were tied in third with 8-3 records through the prelims. High scorers were Guy from Hunter, Doug from Stuyvesant (also the neg king), "Engineer" from Charter A, Ben from Moravian A, and "Tom Cruise" from Bergen A.

Thanks to Simon, Sid, and Louis from UPenn, Bill Tressler from Charter, and Paul Stoetzer for coming by to moderate. I'm very glad things ran as well as they did; hopefully the team will be able to put on another one of these next year. And thanks to the teams: this wasn't a huge field, but it was very, very high quality, and while a bunch of the early buzzes may have been on some mediocre clue placements, a lot were coming on legitimately impressive stuff.

I do have the stats, but I lack webspace. Is there anyone I can email them to so that they can be posted for everyone else?
Dave Letzler--Williams '06, Temple '08, CUNY and bastard teams '12ish
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Deesy Does It wrote:Andy (and everyone out there who has limited webspace or whatever), if you're having trouble uploading the stats, you can use this program to quickly upload the SQBS stats pages for public viewing.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I want to thank Temple for a good tournament. I do hope that there are future tournaments at Temple (or Penn), as SEPTA is much cheaper for us to travel on than getting a school bus. The downside was just missing the 5:20 train, but it wasn't the end of the world.

This used to be the holy grail of ACF, but then teams pulled it off and the novelty was gone: if the stats are correct Charter A got all 20 tossups against MAST, earning 11 powers in the process. (and I agree with all who stated the powermarks were again generous)
gstoye
Lulu

Post by gstoye »

Thanks also to Dave and his staff at Temple for a very well-run tournament. And yes Charter A did run the table against us (MAST).
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I agree, this tournament was really well-run, and the readers on the whole were excellent. The small field size and full round robin was also a nice change, as we got to play every team there and also get a lot of quizbowl in (13 games and a lunch break in about 7.5 hours). The books as prizes were also cool. All in all, a lot of fun.

Congrats to Charter on taking the whole thing in the advantaged finals as well! (The two-game set took just 40 minutes or so; I think our reader is at least partly to thank for this, in addition to the general fast pace.)
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

My compliments to this tournament's readers, we actually got 13 rounds done in a reasonable amount of time.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X