Vanderbilt ABC XXXV - April 5, 2008

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Vanderbilt ABC XXXV - April 5, 2008

Post by vandyhawk »

The last thread announcing that Vanderbilt's ABC XXXV will be held April 5, 2008, got dumped into the archives, so here is a new one. Expect the whole announcement in the near future.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Just thought I would note here that we're going to be adding to the collaboration previously announced between Minnesota and Maryland (this is NOT the PACE set though), so if anyone had hoped to go to both ABC and Maryland's spring classic, whenever that is scheduled for anyway, too bad... I honestly don't think we've had any overlap in the past anyway. Full announcement coming shortly, I hope.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

We're pleased to announce Vanderbilt's 35th Academic Bowl Contest to be held on April 5, 2008. Some of the highlights are below, but to see all of the details, register, get directions, etc., please see:

http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/colle ... _info.html

Tournament Format

We will again be making the spring edition a one-day tournament running separate varsity and JV divisions. Freshmen and sophomores only will be eligible for JV, although they are welcome to play in varsity. The likely format will be the usual bracketed round robins of either 5 or 7 rounds depending on the size of the division, followed by single elimination playoffs, or a slight variation thereof, with seedings based on record, then average points per game.

The questions are being produced in conjunction with the Universities of Minnesota and Maryland, and will consist of the standard 20 tossups with unrelated bonuses and bouncebacks.

Fees and Registration

The tournament fee is $70.00 per team. See the registration form for registration details. Each buzzer set you bring is a $5.00 discount. Each competent reader you bring is a $15.00 discount - this discount is in effect even if you bring a required reader. It is important that if you get the reader discount, the reader actually reads and does not just serve as a back-up. If you have a buzzer, bring it, even if it doesn't always work right. Please indicate whether your buzzer is fully working or back up only. We don't want to, but we will play hand slap rounds if necessary.

The deadline for registration is April 1. We only need your registration information by this date. You can pay on the tournament date or mail your payment in advance. Once you are registered, you will receive an email confirmation within a week. Do not assume you are registered unless you receive the email. If you have not received your email, contact Jack Hartz or e-mail ([email protected]) to verify your registration status.

***Tournament locations***

One other thing to note here is that Wilson Hall is unavailable, so we will have tournament headquarters in Stevenson Center 4309. Matches will take place in Stevenson and likely Buttrick Hall as well.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Re: Vanderbilt ABC XXXV - April 5, 2008

Post by vandyhawk »

Dr. Chuck, if you happen upon this thread, shall we make this a PACE qualifier?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Without objection, I would be happy to.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Arc 209
Kimahri

Post by Arc 209 »

As of March 5, What teams are probably going to show at ABC this spring?
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Arc 209 wrote:As of March 5, What teams are probably going to show at ABC this spring?
I'll ask the registration guy to post a field update. From what I hear, the field isn't huge so far, but has some quality teams I think.
Mike
Kimahri

Post by Mike »

Hey, I'm Mike from Kansas State University. I was wondering what I would have to do to run a mirror of your tournament on the same day.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Mike wrote:Hey, I'm Mike from Kansas State University. I was wondering what I would have to do to run a mirror of your tournament on the same day.
Email me (matt.keller at vanderbilt.edu) and/or Andrew Hart (limozeen at gmail.com).
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Mike from Kansas State - North Kansas City would be interested in attending your tournament, but if it's on a different date then April 5th. Email me at charlie16 at gmail . com about it.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mike
Kimahri

Post by Mike »

Most likely the mirror that we run will be held on April 26th.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain will very likely have at least one team there. I will try and let you know for sure by the end of this week.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

If anyone is interested, here is a listing of teams registered as of 3/24:

Varisty:

Brindlee Mountain
Campbell County
Cookeville-2
duPont Manual
Edmonson County
Ezell-Harding
Franklin Road
Immaculate Conception-2?
Itawamba-2
Hoover-2
Lafayette
Lincoln County-2
McGavock
Norcross
Northmont
Pikeville
Richmond
Scottsboro
University School

JV

Apollo-2
Edmonson County Middle
Ezell-Harding
Hoover
Madisonville-North Hopkins
Norcross
Richland
Last edited by Manyo2 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jack Hartz
Vanderbilt University Quizbowl
Class of '10
Arc 209
Kimahri

Post by Arc 209 »

Manyo2 wrote:If anyone is interested, here is a listing of teams registered as of 3/8:

Franklin Road-1(0)
Immaculate Conception-2(?)
Itawamba-2(0)
James Island-1(0)
Norcross-2(1)
Northmont-1(0)
Ripley-1(0)
Is this JV or V, and is Dorman going to be there?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Dorman is going to the Minnesota tournament the same day that is using these questions.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Athena Starwoman wrote:Dorman is going to the Minnesota tournament the same day that is using these questions.
Dorman? Minnesota? Wow...
Noah
Georgia '08
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

I don't have a problem with Dorman going to Minnesota instead of our site, but like Noah, it certainly does make me curious. Also, for Jack's list, I think it goes School, total # of teams (# JV teams).
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:
Athena Starwoman wrote:Dorman is going to the Minnesota tournament the same day that is using these questions.
Dorman? Minnesota? Wow...
I'd venture a guess that they're trying to get a feel for competition outside of the southeast.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

The field for the tournament has been updated, and I hope to continue this every week or so until the tournament itself.
Jack Hartz
Class of '10
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Mike wrote:Hey, I'm Mike from Kansas State University. I was wondering what I would have to do to run a mirror of your tournament on the same day.
Kansas State... how did I miss this?

Now granted, there are weird rules about PACE or NAQT qualification from Kansas (like, no teams can do it)... but still... good luck.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

The field has been updated again to reflect changes made in the last week. I have also changed the format in order to hopefully confuse people a bit less.
Jack Hartz
Class of '10
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

This is Jack's final list of teams for Saturday. Let us know ASAP if something is amiss.

Varsity

Brindlee Mountain
Campbell County
Cookeville-2
duPont Manual
Edmonson County
Ezell-Harding
Franklin Road
Immaculate Conception-2?
Itawamba-2
Hoover-2
Lafayette
Lincoln County-2
McGavock
Norcross
Northmont
Pikeville
Richmond
Scottsboro
University School

JV

Apollo-2
Edmonson County Middle
Ezell-Harding
Hoover
Madisonville-North Hopkins
MLK
Norcross
Richland
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Thank you to all the teams who came to ABC XXXV, held on April 5, 2008. We had 22 varsity and 9 JV teams in a very competitive field. Results as follows:

Varsity:

The varsity division featured 7 preliminary round robin games, followed by the top 16 advancing to single elimination playoffs.

Round robin stats
Playoff bracket

Congrats to Ezell Harding for their victory, including two playoff wins by 10 points before defeating the #1 seed Brindlee Mountain in the final 310-240. The other semi-finalists were Norcross and Hoover A.
Note: University School had to leave before the playoffs.

JV:

With 9 JV teams, a full round robin was run, after which Ezell Harding was awarded the title by virtue of going 8-0, and Madisonville North Hopkins was awarded 2nd place.

Round robin stats

Congratulations to Ezell Harding for their sweep of both divisions, a very impressive feat.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Oh, and like I posted in the MN thread, please don't mention specifics, as these questions will be used next week at Maryland and in a couple weeks at Kansas State.