Untimed NAQT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cdcarter
Yuna

Untimed NAQT

Post by cdcarter »

I prefer untimed rounds, as I am sure many do, but there is a problem with untimed NAQT tournaments. NAQT states that if not enough clocks are available a round should be played in two halves of 10 questions. An NAQT packet is 24 questions, not 20 questions. Playing only the top 20 questions may put a team at a large disadvantage if say, two lit questions are in those last four. So proposal, make the untimed standard for NAQT two halves of 12, and have an extra packet for alternates.
Last edited by cdcarter on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoahMinkCHS
Yuna

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Worth noting, though, is that reading all 24 tossups in a timed match is pretty rare. It's much more common to read in the 19-22 area, and I believe NAQT's standard is for readers in timed matches to average about 20 TUs/match. The untimed = 20 TU standard is based on equalizing timed and untimed matches.

The disadvantage you mentioned is present in both types of NAQT match.

AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Re: Untimed NAQT

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

cdcarter wrote:two halves of 24
Dat =s lots of TUs, kk.

I think 20 is an appropriate amount for an untimed round. That also leaves a lot of room for mistakes, and, being from a state with tons of bad moderators, I can tell you it's worth it.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12

Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I will agree with Andy on this one... having 4 extra questions as a backup can be a very good thing. It also allows for extra questions in case of a tie as per the rules, 3 question shootout..

cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Matthew D wrote:I will agree with Andy on this one... having 4 extra questions as a backup can be a very good thing. It also allows for extra questions in case of a tie as per the rules, 3 question shootout..
I agree that rounds of 24 tu is a lot, but then perhaps the distribution should be shifted to account for this only hearing 20 problem.

yoda4554
Rikku

Re: Untimed NAQT

Post by yoda4554 »

cdcarter wrote:I prefer untimed rounds, as I am sure many do, but there is a problem with untimed NAQT tournaments. NAQT states that if not enough clocks are available a round should be played in two halves of 10 questions. An NAQT packet is 24 questions, not 20 questions. Playing only the top 20 questions may put a team at a large disadvantage if say, two lit questions are in those last four. So proposal, make the untimed standard for NAQT two halves of 12, and have an extra packet for alternates.
The particular problem you note is, I believe, moot: NAQT's question-ordering software is designed such that the subjects are more or less evenly spaced throughout the packet. That is, I don't believe any one subject, even major ones, would appear in two out of any stretch of four questions.