RESULTS: Cleveland Open -- April 5, 2008 @ CWRU, Cleveland

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
PaladinQB
Wakka

RESULTS: Cleveland Open -- April 5, 2008 @ CWRU, Cleveland

Post by PaladinQB »

I am pleased to announce the Cleveland Open academic tournament for high school teams to take place on the campus of Case Western Reserve University in scenic Cleveland, Ohio, on April 5th.

Please note that while I am a student at Cleveland State University, the tournament is not sponsored by CSU. The proceeds will go to benefit quiz bowl at CSU, assuming they accept the money. Otherwise it will go to quiz bowl at whatever school I go to in the fall. Due to my inability to procure rooms at CSU, we're having the tournament at CWRU and their assistance is gratefully acknowledged. The time it took to finagle all this is why the announcement is coming out later than intended.

The fee structure will be as follows:

$80 base
-$10 for additional teams from a school
-$10 for each functional buzzer a school brings (max 2 discounts)
-$20 for each experienced moderator brought (max 1)
-$10 for each experienced scorekeeper brought (max 1)
-$10 for bringing a laptop we can use all day (max 2)
$50 minimum fee
$50 fee for any team that played in any OAC regional other than NE in the past three years (i.e., a team from outside metro Cleveland)

Questions will be untimed tossup/bonus and will mirror tournaments held at Maryland, Minnesota, and Vanderbilt.

I know a lot of teams have budget problems at this time of year; if that's you, let me know. I would rather have you come and play than not play because of your budget.

This field is capped at 24 so register today and tell your friends. Register by sending me an email at b <DOT> saxton <AT> csuohio <DOT> edu.

If you're interested in coming to this thing to staff, I would like to hear from you. Compensation is negotiable and may include beer for those over 21.

If you have questions, ask 'em at the address provided or hit me up on IM (ICQ #963752, brianmsaxton on google, paladinqb on y! and AIM).

Brian M. Saxton
Tournament Director
Brian Saxton, The Ohio State University '12 (I hope)
BobGHHS
Rikku

Re: Cleveland Open -- April 5, 2008 @ CWRU, Cleveland, OH.

Post by BobGHHS »

Well as I said, at least our varsity team will be there...

I recommend this tournament to all interested... even though it will be in its first year, it has a great location (CWRU), great questions and the tournament director is competent and experienced, so much so that he pulled off some ridiculous tournament at BG back in '99 that involved something like 80 teams in brackets of 10 playing round-robin followed by a 64 team playoff, or something wicked like that.

It will be a fun tournament, and I hope to see many of you there.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

BobGHHS wrote:Well as I said, at least our varsity team will be there...

I recommend this tournament to all interested... even though it will be in its first year, it has a great location (CWRU), great questions and the tournament director is competent and experienced, so much so that he pulled off some ridiculous tournament at BG back in '99 that involved something like 80 teams in brackets of 10 playing round-robin followed by a 64 team playoff, or something wicked like that.

It will be a fun tournament, and I hope to see many of you there.
I would hasten to point out that the particular tournament Bob is talking about was before I took over at BG. I did learn some important lessons that day (i.e., 9 prelim games plus long questions equals a very long day.). This tournament will feature a solid, but not ridiculous, number of games, and should wrap up by dinnertime at the latest.

bms

Edit: With that said, I thank Bob for his support and hope I can live up to his kind words.
hrrpg1
Kimahri

Post by hrrpg1 »

I would like to join this. I've been trying to reach you with no reply.
This is for Reynoldsurg High School

[email protected]
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

hrrpg1 wrote:I would like to join this. I've been trying to reach you with no reply.
This is for Reynoldsurg High School

[email protected]
I fired off an email to you -- if you don't get it, post here again and I'll try a different address.

bms
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

8 teams descended on the campus of Case Western Reserve University for the first Cleveland Open, using the questions from today's Chitin Classic and ABC, as well as next week's Maryland Spring Classic and apparently a tournament at K-State two weeks hence. Accordingly, please do not discuss specifics of the questions publicly on this site or anyplace else.

After ten rounds of play (a full round robin, and then the field was split into top and bottom halves for an additional three rounds), Cyberdyne Academy (consisting of a couple of impressive players who attend Stow-Munroe Falls High School) was one game ahead of Garfield Heights A, and earned the advantage in the ACF-format final. Garfield was able to overcome that advantage, and beat Cyberdyne 255-110 and 480-145 to win the tournament.

The leading scorers (based on the 7 preliminary matches) included Garfield Heights A's Dan Humphrey at 125.71 ppg, Garfield Heights B's Joe "Charlie" Wells at 76.43 ppg, Nathan "!" Jose of Cyberdyne at 72.14 ppg, and Manraj "Gilgamesh" Grewal of Solon at 45.71.

Commentary on the tournament can be found in this thread on the Ohio board.

I'm done with the stats, as soon as I figure out how to host them I'll post a link.

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves; I certainly did. Thanks to Minnesota, Maryland, and Vanderbilt for making the set available to mirror, to the teams that attended, and to the staff of Elizabeth Saxton, Justin Sharp, Mike Bindis, Steven Wellstead, and Kevin Snyder.

Brian M. Saxton
Tournament Director, Cleveland Open
PaladinQB
Wakka

Re: RESULTS: Cleveland Open -- April 5, 2008 @ CWRU, Cleveland

Post by PaladinQB »

Through the kind offices of Jeffrey Hill's invaluable ScoBo Tournament Central, the full results for the tournament are posted here.

Again, my compliments to the parties responsible for the tournament set, and to the teams and staff.