JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
User avatar
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:the brackets will be named "Dabney" and "Carr"
I thought they were going to be "Dabney" and "Jefferson"... We are at least letting Quint name the brackets after himself. Anyway, as we stand now with 16 teams, we're looking to do a 7-round round robin within each bracket, with the winner of each bracket advancing to the finals. At this point round 8 will likely be optional for the teams other than the top 2; if you can find an opponent willing to scrimmage, we'll have a reader. however, if the people bringing buzzers wish to leave, we can't guarantee buzzers for scrimmages taking place during round 8.
Sam (Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What happens if there are two teams in one bracket tied in record for the top spot (say, 2 teams go 6-1).
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
User avatar
TheCzarMan
Tidus
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:29 pm
Location: Bloomfield, New Jersey
Contact:

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by TheCzarMan »

Deesy Does It wrote:What happens if there are two teams in one bracket tied in record for the top spot (say, 2 teams go 6-1).
I assume H2H.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Deesy Does It wrote:What happens if there are two teams in one bracket tied in record for the top spot (say, 2 teams go 6-1).
We plan to break ties with points per game, which we believe is better than H2H. Unfortunately, we do not have enough questions to playoff such ties.
MLWMathStar
Lulu
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by MLWMathStar »

Thank you to all teams for coming. From my angle the tournament seemed to run okay. Prelim results have been posted:

http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob/HAVOC ... dings.html

The one game finals was between bracket winners Collegiate A and Freeman. Freeman won the game and the tournament. I believe the score was 245-115.
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
User avatar
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Thank you to everyone who came out and supported this tournament, as well as those teams who are buying questions who were unable to attend. Some of the teams in attendance had never gone to a tournament before, and I'm glad we were able to provide this experience for them as well as for the other inexperienced teams who came. Bonus conversion was lower than we expected, and we may or not have actually achieved the difficulty level we were shooting for, but hopefully teams were able to learn something, as we stuck to canonical information.

As for the teams who bought questions but didn't attend, we're going to try to send electronic copies as soon as possible; some of the files still need to be located/put together to reflect final changes. As a student, I am not authorized to deal with financial stuff, so you should email Dr. Barnes at jbarnes AT gsgis DOT k12 DOT va DOT us with any payment concerns.

Unimportant Edit: 200th post!
Sam (Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I dunno, looking at your stats the bonus conversion seems mostly ideal, with one team breaking 20 and the top teams hovering a little below that, and then the rest ranging down to below 10. Maybe you could have used some slightly easier parts, but when it's a tournament that these schools haven't been to and is geared towards inexperienced players, teams not knowing basic things is going to be par for the course.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
User avatar
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Deesy Does It wrote:I dunno, looking at your stats the bonus conversion seems mostly ideal, with one team breaking 20 and the top teams hovering a little below that, and then the rest ranging down to below 10. Maybe you could have used some slightly easier parts, but when it's a tournament that these schools haven't been to and is geared towards inexperienced players, teams not knowing basic things is going to be par for the course.
The last bonus conversion stats I'd seen were evidently not current, as those final ones look a lot better. After the first 3 or 4 rounds a lot of the teams were in the 3-10 P/B range.
Sam (Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
intothenegs
Wakka
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:29 pm
Location: James Monroe

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by intothenegs »

This was a very well-run tournament. Good job Sarah!

Distribution seemed to be slightly (or more than slightly) skewed towards fine arts and music (not that I minded). I don't know what the math/science distribution was, but it seemed a bit low. It also seemed that bonuses would be followed up with tossups on the same subject many times; a bonus about Hooke's Law was followed with a tossup on elasticity.

The brackets seemed a bit uneven; the bracket with Freeman and St. Christopher's seemed a bit more loaded. But still well run, the questions were for the most part really good.
User avatar
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

intothenegs wrote:This was a very well-run tournament. Good job Sarah!

Distribution seemed to be slightly (or more than slightly) skewed towards fine arts and music (not that I minded). I don't know what the math/science distribution was, but it seemed a bit low. It also seemed that bonuses would be followed up with tossups on the same subject many times; a bonus about Hooke's Law was followed with a tossup on elasticity.

The brackets seemed a bit uneven; the bracket with Freeman and St. Christopher's seemed a bit more loaded. But still well run, the questions were for the most part really good.
I think the random sorting we use within each round may have contributed to this, as well as the fact that our distribution does not match NAQT's. This was run with roughly the same distribution as GSAC: 4/4 science, 4/4 lit, 4/4 history, 2/2 art, 1/1 pop culture, 1/1 math theory, 1/1 music, 1/1 government, 1/1 RMP, 1/1 geography, and 1/1 "other" which included some econ, current events, psychology, and architecture. NAQT lumps RMP (religion/mythology/philosophy) in with lit and generally has about 2 math per round, as well as very little music. Our team doesn't agree with this distribution, and so far as I know, has never practiced it. I probably should have made this clear in light of some of the teams coming having not attended GSAC. As far as the TU/B overlap goes, we had a lot of games (I don't know if this applies to your team specifically, but as a general observation), in which the reader would only reach bonus 13. This makes it impossible to guarantee that that kind of overlap doesn't happen. Nevertheless, sorry about that.

As for the brackets, we didn't know enough about a lot of the teams to completely balance them. Dr. Barnes had wanted to switch you with St. Gertrude, but Palmer (who made the schedules) was not aware of the reasoning behind that and thus decided no change was warranted. In light of both that and your team's stats, I strongly recommend applying for a wildcard bid at PACE NSC, especially since it will be in northern VA this year.
Sam (Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by jbarnes112358 »

intothenegs wrote:The brackets seemed a bit uneven; the bracket with Freeman and St. Christopher's seemed a bit more loaded. But still well run, the questions were for the most part really good.
As it turned out, the brackets were probably a bit uneven in that your bracket appeared to have the two best teams when you look at the stats. It was hard to predict how good teams were going to be ahead of time, as we knew some teams were not bringing their usual players and some of the teams we have not seen very much this year. We toyed with several possible brackets before determining that we had them even.

Ideally, if we had more time we could have written another round and had a four team playoff. We decided to use our format to give more teams more playing time.

James Monroe was statistically the strongest team in the field but was upset by a Freeman team that was playing well despite being short-handed. Kevin was superb on these questions. Freeman deserves congratulations for their undefeated championship. Chuhern of James Monroe's team was beastly with an average of 100 pts per game.

If James Monroe decides to apply for a wildcard berth at PACE NSC, I would recommend them as being worthy of consideration.

I hope all the teams had fun and found the experience helpful in developing their skills. Some of the teams were playing their first quizbowl ever. For example, one team just formed a couple of days ago. On the other hand some of the more seasoned teams made strong showings and proved that all their practicing and hard work are paying dividends.

Sarah and Cameron did an awesome job pulling this tournament together in a relatively short time. This was one of the smoothest run MLWGS tournament ever. The questions were nicely written with few errors. Nice job everyone.

Next year we should advertise our distribution so there will be no surprises.
MLWMathStar
Lulu
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by MLWMathStar »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:As for the brackets, we didn't know enough about a lot of the teams to completely balance them. Dr. Barnes had wanted to switch you with St. Gertrude, but Palmer (who made the schedules) was not aware of the reasoning behind that and thus decided no change was warranted. In light of both that and your team's stats, I strongly recommend applying for a wildcard bid at PACE NSC, especially since it will be in northern VA this year.
It was actually me that suggested that switch, but then on reexamining the brackets that night I decided it wasn't a good idea. There were several teams whose strength I did not estimate correctly that led to this error. I apologize for loading that bracket.
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by jbarnes112358 »

MLWMathStar wrote:
The one game finals was between bracket winners Collegiate A and Freeman. Freeman won the game and the tournament. I believe the score was 245-115.
For those readers who are wondering why Collegiate A was competing since we closed the tournament to teams already qualified for nationals, let the record show that this was not Collegiate's real A team, but more like their usual B team.

I am not sure if Freeman had yet qualified for nationals, but this win qualifies them for PACE NSC. They, too, were not playing with their usual team, though their super soph Kevin was there. Both of these teams seem to have nuclei for strong teams for the next couple of years.

Chuhern of James Monroe is a junior.
User avatar
Sir Thopas
Auron
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Hunter, NYC
Contact:

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Sir Thopas »

jbarnes112358 wrote:Chuhern of James Monroe is a junior.
what
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by jbarnes112358 »

metsfan001 wrote:
jbarnes112358 wrote:Chuhern of James Monroe is a junior.
what
Chuhern, the player mentioned in an earlier post, was the high scorer of our tournament, with an average of 100 points per game. He is a junior, and hence James Monroe will likely be good again next year.
intothenegs
Wakka
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:29 pm
Location: James Monroe

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by intothenegs »

jbarnes112358 wrote: Chuhern, the player mentioned in an earlier post, was the high scorer of our tournament, with an average of 100 points per game. He is a junior, and hence James Monroe will likely be good again next year.
Our entire team will be returning next year.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013
User avatar
Sir Thopas
Auron
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Hunter, NYC
Contact:

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Sir Thopas »

jbarnes112358 wrote:
metsfan001 wrote:
jbarnes112358 wrote:Chuhern of James Monroe is a junior.
what
Chuhern, the player mentioned in an earlier post, was the high scorer of our tournament, with an average of 100 points per game. He is a junior, and hence James Monroe will likely be good again next year.
No, I get that, but I thought that juniors in a JV tournament was frowned upon.

(EDIT: Never mind, I read the first post of the thread. My apologies.)
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by jbarnes112358 »

intothenegs wrote:
jbarnes112358 wrote: Chuhern, the player mentioned in an earlier post, was the high scorer of our tournament, with an average of 100 points per game. He is a junior, and hence James Monroe will likely be good again next year.
Our entire team will be returning next year.
All the better... I'm sure you are :grin: about that.
jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by jbarnes112358 »

metsfan001 wrote: No, I get that, but I thought that juniors in a JV tournament was frowned upon.

(EDIT: Never mind, I read the first post of the thread. My apologies.)
Yeah. we were not really a JV tournament, per se. We were basically like our fall GSAC but without the proven national powers, and with slightly easier questions. The questions ended up having a difficulty somewhere between NAQT A and NAQT regular, but with a distribution more similar to PACE than NAQT.

I believe your team is planning on purchasing the questions. Your seasoned players will probably find most of them to be on the easy side. But, your developing players should find them sufficiently challenging. We would welcome your feedback once you read them.

EDIT: If anyone else wants to order the eight rounds of questions for $10, email me at jbarnes "at" gsgis "dot" k12 "dot" va "dot" us
Last edited by jbarnes112358 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sir Thopas
Auron
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Hunter, NYC
Contact:

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Sir Thopas »

jbarnes112358 wrote:I believe your team is planning on purchasing the questions. Your seasoned players will probably find most of them to be on the easy side. But, your developing players should find them sufficiently challenging. We would welcome your feedback once you read them.
Yeah, we will purchase the questions and use them for good development, thanks!
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by jbarnes112358 »

metsfan001 wrote:
Yeah, we will purchase the questions and use them for good development, thanks!
Thanks. Send me an e-mail and I will e-mail the question files to you.

( note: I had a character wrong in my above e-mail address that I edited. So, the address should now be correct with the obvious translation into proper format.)
Locked