NY/NJ Metro Quizbowl League

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

NY/NJ Metro Quizbowl League

Post by TheCzarMan »

Anyone think it would be possible to plan one out by the beginning of next year? We know we have the interest, and there are over 20 schools with active teams in the area, possibly more. I just recalled this from a discussion on the NJHSQB Yahoo group. What teams would be interested in trying to organize something along these lines? Possible thoughts to consider:

- Question Format (Pyrimidial, but 20/20 or 4 Quarter format for more interest)
- How often the league would meet
- How would the standings be determined? (Points off of finish in a tournament, or scheduled H2H's at each tournament and keep a W/L standings before a final double elimination tournament or something akin to that with seedings based off season results).
- Hosting (Who can host, how big are some schools facilities, etc. etc.)
- Accessiblilty (Location to a major thoroughfare (LIE, Route 3, GSP)
- Cost (Of course)
- And determination of a scheduling board/executive committee who handles all protests and format decisions in an unbiased way.

EDIT: And possible thought as to whether we should make two divisions/conferences, Public vs. Private/Selective Admissions (NYC Schools) crown two champions then have the Public vs. Private face off.

Admins/mods, if this thread is more applicable in another section of the forum, feel free to move it.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader

Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: NY/NJ Metro Quizbowl League

Post by Matt Weiner »

I thought things were looking up in the NYC/northern NJ area? It seems odd that you would want to take on something like a league that areas which are less developed, quizbowl-wise, rely on, rather than trying to do more regular tournaments on Saturdays.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

It depends. If an area is 5-6 good schools and 20 schools that play Chip, a league played on good questions would be an improvement. The potential downside is that a few of the weaker tournament teams start playing league only.

yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

As I think I've mentioned in the past, there are seriously over 60 teams on LI alone (see here: http://www.regionalquizbowl.org ; there's also a TV show and a Nassau league that add more to this) who play local league type stuff. I think the thing to focus on is getting them into some more stuff like LIFT and other decent low-level tournaments; I know when I played there I didn't know national-circuit qb existed.
Last edited by yoda4554 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Letzler--Williams '06, Temple '08, CUNY and bastard teams '12ish

SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

I must agree with Matt on this point. Several schools (of which we are one) have already loosely confederated into a league. (Six teams to be precise) We are using a variety of sources for questions. (For the last two events, I purchased an old NAQT set from last year that none of the schools had played.) It is VERY difficult to get all six schools together on any regular basis. Between the academic/extracurricular responsibilities of both the coaches and students, and the logistical problems of hosting on a weekday, I think that this region would be better served by more Saturday tournaments. Nigel runs a great tournament on Long Island in October. Despite some of my ranting, Rutgers has greatly improved and offers two tournaments per year. Princeton is getting better. Steve Fineman at Chatham ran a good tournament last May and I anticipate much more of the same next month. We at Seton Hall ran a very efficient tournament last Saturday. (And those are just the NAQT events! Pete Urban's tournament at Millburn is always very well run. Linda Rockmaker runs a great tournament at Colonia High school. Allison Chase at Phillipsburg runs a nice tournament as well.)

There are quite a few events out there. I would love to see more added, but it is tough to get hosts. (You yourselves posted a tournament here and then cancelled on short notice. Bergen County had to cancel theirs which is why we ran it at The Prep.) Let's get some more schools to commit to running events before we try to create a league.

Just a rambling thought ...
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Yes, I'm still bitter about being forced to cancel on such short notice (And then having a flood of applications come in). I haven't heard anything about this six team league you made of though, and I'm very curious about that.

I guess what we could do is try to find schools who can host in the lull months of November, December, and February.
Nick Petrilli

SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

This year, we limited the number of teams. We (the coaches) all know one another well and have committed to this league. We are considering expanding next year, but we have yet to decide. If we decide to expand, we will post some form of an announcement. As to the "lull" months, why not try to host in one of those months? We (SHP) are looking to host an "A" packet NAQT next September/early October as a season opener.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

Since I posted the original Yahoo message (a year ago) that CzarMan referred to, I may as well chime in. My intent with that message was to see if there was any desire to make the activity in our area a little more cohesive. I was hoping for a series of smaller midweek events with short drives and flexible scheduling, but I intentionally said nothing in that initial message that might sway any potential discussion. I just wanted to float a general idea and see what happened.

There were zero positive responses, so I considered the matter dead. People don't have a problem with doing quizbowl/academic tournaments on an a la carte basis. Tournaments are well-attended, there could certainly be more of them (and more spread-out in the year!) but folks do have options. More of us are gaining experience at running tournaments. (PLUG! Chatham Academic Tournament May 17!) Unlike some regions, it's not necessary to drive 2+ hours for a tournament of 8-12 teams. All in all, we have things pretty good! SHP Pirate summed it up very well, and btw thank you for your kind words...

Separately, a small group of coaches had been involved in conversations to investigate the possibility of monthly small midweek events as a way to give our students more quality experiences without requiring additional hours on the highway and blown Saturdays. Opinions will differ, but time is a limited resource and if we can have good events in our own backyard, why not? Chatham was fortunate enough to be invited into this group which is small by design - all schools are at most a 20-minute drive away, we can do a round-robin after school with time for pizza and be home in time for Double Jeopardy. The coaches all know each other, things are very informal, there have been kinks but all-in-all I think it's been a good thing.

As for expansion, my personal opinion is that growing our little club would risk destroying it. Six just seems like the perfect number (some would say it is a perfect number). If we have success I'd think along the lines of encouraging the growth of parallel leagues in the area, perhaps leading to a Meet of Champions at the end. But all that is way in the future, at least IMHO. We still have a lot of refining to do on our own before we start advertising this as a solution for others. (And it's always wise to be careful lest one proposes a solution in search of a problem.)

-Stephen Fineman
Chatham HS

scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Wow, that area is a sleeping giant. There are several national-quality teams, and all of those teams who play Chip's tournament each year.

As a James Island player, I have played several of these teams on our trips up north and at nationals, and teams like Kellenberg, Seton Hall Prep, Stuvy, Hunter College, and probably five others can compete with almost anybody in the country. Westchester, as I have heard, is Beall country, but more tournaments could be held in your part of the country.

I know your travel funds are probably low, but if you could find some open weeks in your schedule, you guys could maybe travel down here for some of the tournaments here in SC/GA, or even Vanderbilt, creating some good pre-Nationals tournaments.
Joe
James Island '10

The Falcon
Kimahri

Post by The Falcon »

I'm coming from a team in Middlesex County that regularly sends its teams up to Westchester, for their WACKO and MACC tournaments (they use Chip Beall questions) as well as the BRITE tournament every year. Historically, we have been involved in NAQT competitions, and I'm not sure why we've stopped going to them (I've only been with the school for a few years). We qualified for nationals this year from the Westchester field, but are not going.

How would it be possible to become involved in this, if we are interested?

ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

The Falcon wrote:I'm coming from a team in Middlesex County that regularly sends its teams up to Westchester, for their WACKO and MACC tournaments (they use Chip Beall questions) as well as the BRITE tournament every year. Historically, we have been involved in NAQT competitions, and I'm not sure why we've stopped going to them (I've only been with the school for a few years). We qualified for nationals this year from the Westchester field, but are not going.

How would it be possible to become involved in this, if we are interested?
Please don't take this as a slight, but if you're interested in doing something like this, my recommendation would be to try and set something up in your neck of the woods. I assume you're from St. Joe's - see if you can talk to folks from Colonia, JFK, Woodbridge, JPS, and South Plainfield, that would make six very close schools that I've seen at tournaments. I'd be glad to share ideas, and I'm sure SHP Pirate would be more than happy to talk, but we've got some refining to do and what works for us may not work for other schools and vice versa.

EDIT: I forgot Bishop Ahr - they did the Cablevision show and would give you another Catholic school in the group. But you probably knew that.

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Thanks for all of the replies, although I will cross my fingers that you expand to 8 teams. (With Bloomfield in the middle of you all :wink: )
Nick Petrilli