Multi-Team Scheduling

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Nav
Lulu

Multi-Team Scheduling

Post by Nav »

You all will probably see me on these Newbie forums quite a bit in the near future.

I was wondering if there was an algorithm or some sort of formula that will allow me to schedule multiple team round-robins. What I mean by multi-team is that there are three or possibly four teams at each site to play league matches against each other.

Let me try to clarify by explaining how it works currently in my league. We currently have nine teams. The scheduling is setup so that two schools go to a third for their matches, and playing two of the three games that are played on that day (1v2, 2v3, 1v3). This way there are three sites playing and after four weeks, each team plays each other team exactly once. The schedule was something like this:

1-2-3 4-5-6 7-8-9
1-4-7 2-5-8 3-6-9
1-5-9 2-6-7 3-4-8
1-6-8 2-4-9 3-5-7

As you can see each team faces each team once, but instead of eight days of matches, there are only four days since each team is facing two other teams instead of one. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to extend this to more teams like possibly 16 or higher.

Thanks,
-Ben
Last edited by Nav on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Multi-Team Scheduling

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you just want a round robin with any number of teams, there is an algorithm and a website that will list out matches for you. Once you get into quirky requirements, however, as you have with the hosting arrangements, these things usually are arranged by just playing with the matchups until they work.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Multi-Team Scheduling

Post by theMoMA »

http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/round-r ... rator.aspx

That site is pretty useful for generating round robin schedules.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum