RESULTS: HSNCT Classical Name-That-Tune, 5/23/08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
yoda4554
Rikku

RESULTS: HSNCT Classical Name-That-Tune, 5/23/08

Post by yoda4554 »

I'd like to gauge interest in holding a Classical Music Name-That-Tune competition during the Saturday of the HSNCT. It would be modeled on the contests Eric Kwartler's been holding at the Chicago Open these past few years (Eric, I believe, won't be staffing HSNCT; hopefully I'm not stepping on his toes here); that is, it would be written and not buzzer-based and involve naming the titles/composers of several dozen ~30 second classical clips. It should last a bit less than 45 minutes, so as long as it doesn't cause any problems with NAQT's schedule, I'd think the best time to hold it would be in the second half of Saturday's lunch break; 45 min should be enough for anyone interested to grab lunch and come back. Difficulty will be a hair easier than Eric's have been--I'll try to keep the majority of the source works things that would be reasonable tossup answers at HSNCT, though the hardest clips will likely be stuff one would only find in harder bonus parts.

This would be open to all players, staff, and coaches, but only high school players would be eligible for whatever meager grand prize I provide (likely a CD of some kind). There will be no entry fee.

There's one potential hitch; I would want a speaker system somewhat better than my laptop's built-in one to play the music. If someone (presumably someone driving in) could bring some small speakers that could be plugged into said laptop, that'd be quite nice of you; let me know if you could do that.

If you're interested, comment here or email me at dletzler [at] temple [dot] edu, so I can see if enough people want to do this to make it worthwhile.
Last edited by yoda4554 on Mon May 26, 2008 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Letzler--Williams '06, Temple '08, CUNY and bastard teams '12ish
Ugly
Lulu

Re: HSNCT Classical Name-That-Tune?

Post by Ugly »

I am interested in the competition, although I don't think I can provide speakers.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

If previous years are any indication, I doubt any event happening during lunch on Saturday will get much traction. 90 minutes is a lot less time than you think to get food. I know the new hotel is supposed to be better-situated for food, but things will probably still be pretty busy.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

BuzzerZen wrote:If previous years are any indication, I doubt any event happening during lunch on Saturday will get much traction. 90 minutes is a lot less time than you think to get food. I know the new hotel is supposed to be better-situated for food, but things will probably still be pretty busy.
Well, this is something we can work out to everyone's convenience, I suppose. Theoretically, it could be done right before Jonathan/Gautam's tournament (if they're willing), or first thing either Saturday/Sunday morning, or after the finals Sunday.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I might have my old tiny crappy headphone-jack speakers lying around - if this happens, and if no one has a better option (your laptop might actually be better than these), and if you remind me, then I can bring them with me. Whether or not I'd play, I dunno yet.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Gov has a freshman who'd like to play. His name is Tommy; he doesn't have an account so I'm posting for him. Gov B's flight home is that Monday, so we're flexible in terms of scheduling.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

Sounds like fun.
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

People in the college forum have convinced me that Evan's right about the infeasibility of doing this duringSaturday lunch. For those interested here on this forum, particularly those who've been to HSNCT and know how the schedule works out: would it be feasible to do this Friday night, either right after (or toward the end of) the scrimmage rounds? I don't want to cut into anyone's sleep, but again, this isn't going to take that long--if we start at 10:00, we'd be done by 10:45. Would that work for the people interested in this? If not, would directly after the awards ceremony on Sunday be better?
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

As long as Mrs. Lasswell (our assistant coach) is willing to tote us back to the secondary hotel that late, I don't see Friday night as being an issue for Tommy as only one of the five of us Mrs. Lasswell will be responsible for sleeps.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
yoda4554
Rikku

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: HSNCT Classical Name-That-Tune, 5/23/08

Post by yoda4554 »

Ok-- let's make this official. Pending any unexpected scheduling problems with NAQT, this is going to be held on Friday night. To review:

Time: 10:15-11:00
Content: 30+ clips of classical music, ranging from things everybody knows to standard tossup material to one or two things that only come up occasionally in college. Written, no buzzers
Who can play: Everybody from players to coaches to staff, though only current players will be eligible for the grand prize
Grand Prize: Some CD

I've decided I can bring my own speakers on the airplane without much trouble. The only hitch is that, while people can join in easily enough at the last minute, I'd like there to be more than just a couple people doing this. Please let me know if you're interested--it won't take a lot of time, it'll be fun, you'll get to answer music questions without having memorized titles or studied theory, and I know none of you are getting to sleep before 11:00 anyway. Here's who I have so far:

Zach Yeung
Brad Fischer?
Tommy Casalaspi
Kevin Comer
Charlie Dees
Billy Beyer
Chris Kennedy
Hunter Brook
Hannah Kirsch
Jonathan Magin
Last edited by yoda4554 on Thu May 22, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

yoda4554 wrote: Unnamed Maggie Walker frosh
Tommy Casalaspi...sorry about that...Mrs. Lasswell hasn't been around for a while, so I haven't been able to confirm that she'll be able to take us back to the secondary hotel late. I doubt she'll mind, though, and Tommy really wants to do it.
Sam L,
PACE
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Sign me up, please.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco »

I'll do this.
Chris Kennedy, MIT
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Chris you're going to be at HSNCT?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

yoda4554 wrote: Fluffy from Texas
BTW I'm Zach Yeung.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Hunter Book from Kellenberg would like to sign up, please!
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Is it too late to sign up?
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

I don't think I can do this Friday night :sad: , so I am tentatively taking myself off the list.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
yoda4554 wrote: Unnamed Maggie Walker frosh
Tommy Casalaspi...sorry about that...Mrs. Lasswell hasn't been around for a while, so I haven't been able to confirm that she'll be able to take us back to the secondary hotel late. I doubt she'll mind, though, and Tommy really wants to do it.
I've gotten confirmation that Mrs. Lasswell is cool with taking us back to the hotel late. Any idea yet which specific room this will be in/when that will be announced?
Sam L,
PACE
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

I've never been to this hotel, so I'm not quite sure how things are going to be laid out, but basically I'll get there before the moderator meeting, pick an appropriate room, and then try to put up a couple flyer things near the registration place and spread word among the moderators.

Also, since this is a solo tournament with no buzzer requirement, registration is unlimited and can continue until basically the minute the tournament starts.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I'm out.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

Congratulations to Charlie Dees for winning both the open and high school divisions of the Name That Tune Competition, with 62 out of 100 possible points, besting a group of about 15ish other people. Jonathan Magin took second with 58, with Samer Ismail in third with 50. I was quite impressed with how everyone did--looking at some of the answer sheets, I see that all the ones I have scored at least 20 points, and that even some people toward the bottom of this group managed to pull out some IDs that the people at the top couldn't come up with. I hope everyone had a good time.