RESULTS: Midwest Championship (5/10/08) at Culver

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pblessman
Tidus

RESULTS: Midwest Championship (5/10/08) at Culver

Post by pblessman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Culver Academies will host the Third Annual Midwest Championship on Saturday, May 10, 2008. Culver is located in North Central Indiana, about fifty miles South of South Bend, and about 100 miles Southeast of Chicago.

This tournament is meant as a warm-up for Nationals-bound teams and an opportunity for good teams who can't make Nationals to compete at a similar level. This question is scheduled to use the Division II SCT set. Teams will be guaranteed a minimum of eight games.

Participating teams should be either qualified to Nationals, or should have a winning record with at least ten wins (contact me if you have questions about whether your team "qualifies"). We are aiming for a field size of about sixteen teams. Several teams from IN, KY, OH, MI, IL, and WI have previously expressed interest, but we encourage teams from other states to participate... we have a very flexible view of what constitutes the "Midwest." Last year our field included DCC, New Trier, Dunbar, and Harrison (IN), among others.

The fee structure is as follows:

Registration fee: $60 per team,
Working buzzer system: -$10
Long drive discount: -$10 (>150 miles)
Flight (?) Discount: -$20 (>300 miles)

Minimum Fee: $30

Please register or express interest by e-mail ASAP, but certainly before April 12: blessmp [at] culver [dot] org
Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Phil
Last edited by pblessman on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pblessman
Tidus

Update

Post by pblessman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:25 pm

NAQT has assigned the SCT Division II [SCT-08DII] set to our tournament. This set is of intermediary difficulty between an IS set and an HSNCT set, so it should be perfect for this tournament! There will be no other HS tournaments in any of the surrounding states using this set, so exclusivity will not be a problem!

Here are the teams who have registered or expressed interest to me thus far (interest, ie. no registration yet, with asterisk):

Loyola (IL)- 1 Team
Wheaton North (IL)*
Culver (IN)- 2 Teams
Harrison (IN)- 2 Teams
St. Joe's (IN)- 2 Teams
Dunbar (KY)- 2 Teams
DCC (MI)- 2 Teams
East Lansing (MI)- 1 Team
Novi (MI)*
Northmont (OH)- 1 Team
Tippecanoe (OH)*
La Follette (Madison, WI)- 1 Team
Rufus King (WI)*

So the field currently stands at fourteen teams, with several schools considering their options. it is already starting to look like a very strong field! Please respond to me by e-mail or via this board to express your interest in attending.
Last edited by pblessman on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Too bad Missouri sucks and wont let us go because I'd love to go to this.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

pblessman
Tidus

Post by pblessman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Who? The Kansas City Super Duper Allstars (no affiliation to nobody)? I don't know why Missouri would have any jurisdiction over you... and isn't KC in Kansas anyway? ;) I hope you can find a way to come...

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 pm

There's absolutely no way because Missouri bans teams from playing anything after districts until school is out (with the exception that district winners can play at state) which is yet another ridiculous rule they have. It's one reason we were almost banned from going to NAQT nationals last year, we had added days that went for one day after memorial day weekend, so school wasn't technically out. Also, there's no secret way to get to culver since I know of no flights from there to KC :sad:
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Doesn't the SCT DII set usually overlap with one of the standard-difficulty IS sets?

pblessman
Tidus

Post by pblessman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Great question, sorry I didn't address that in the original post. Normally it does, but this year it doesn't. This set will not conflict with ANY NAQT HS set (IS, IS-A, or any of the league and special State sets).

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:46 pm

There was something in the SCT questions thread that suggested this year a different set would be used for Division 2 then in the past when they used an IS-set, so possibly not this year.

dang, i got beat

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:37 pm

We will definitely be therte. I'll send the paperwork a.s.a.p.

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:05 pm

P.B,

I'm not sure how you are for mods, but I would be happy to come over and read for you ..... for my usual and standard fee, of course.

This way, I can help point out hte variety of ways the gold coast of Chicago teams cheat ...... like studying and such.

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:36 pm

I'll be there as a moderator.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15

pblessman
Tidus

Post by pblessman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:23 am

Thanks, Tom and Bryce- we can definitely use the extra moderators. I've updated the field (see above) and I also wanted to let teams know about a couple things:

1. We have an on-campus motel. Cost per two-person room is $20 for the weekend. Our Dining Hall serves decent all-you-can eat food ($4 for breakfast, $5 for lunch, $6 for dinner).

2. If there is sufficient interest from out-of-town teams, we would be more than willing to expand this event into a weekend tournament combo (PACE on Sunday, solo or trash Saturday night, ... whatever people would like). As mentioned above, staying over Saturday night would not add to the housing cost for teams. Please let me know if you're interested.

djones
Wakka

Post by djones » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:55 am

I think the two day tournament would be a great idea. Solon's is really good, so we would definetly be interested if you decide to do it.

We would also be up for a little trash action on Saturday night.

Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Phil, I think you can probably up St. Joe to two teams :)
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"

pblessman
Tidus

FIELD UPDATE

Post by pblessman » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:57 pm

14 Definites from six states! 4 additional schools have expressed interest. Registration is still open- let me know if you want to register!

Loyola (IL)- 1 Team
Wheaton North (IL)*
Culver (IN)- 2 Teams
Harrison (IN)- 2 Teams
St. Joe's (IN)- 2 Teams
Dunbar (KY)- 2 Teams
DCC (MI)- 2 Teams
Novi (MI)*
Northmont (OH)- 1 Team
Tippecanoe (OH)*
La Follette (Madison, WI)- 1 Team
Rufus King (WI)*
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach

pblessman
Tidus

Re: Midwest Championship on May 10, 2008, at Culver Acad. (IN)

Post by pblessman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:17 pm

A bit of a blood bath olut there... I guess definite needs redefining... I'm now at nine teams:

Culver (IN)- 2 Teams
Harrison (IN)- 2 Teams
St. Joe's (IN)- 2 Teams
DCC (MI)- 1 Team
Northmont (OH)- 1 Team

Still a strong field, but a substantial step down from what it looked like just a few days ago!

swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:49 am

Wow, that field took a nose dive.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan » Sat May 10, 2008 8:14 pm

East Lansing takes the championship over DCC. Culver A and St. Joes were 3-4 (not sure the order).

Congrats to East Lansing, they looked very good, and were deserving champions.

pblessman
Tidus

Post by pblessman » Sat May 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks to all the teams who attended- a small field but a very enjoyable (and quality) tournament. We played one full round robin and then had the top four play a second round robin among themselves and did the same for the bottom four. East Lansing went undefeated including three wins over DCC. Final Rankings:

1. East Lansing 11-0
2. DCC 8-3
3. Culver 5-5
4. St. Joe's 4-6
5. Northmont 7-3 (Northmont lost a tiebreaker match to Culver A after three teams finished the morning rounds 4-3)
6. Harrison 4-6
7T. Culver B 1-9
7T. Harrison B 1-9

Team scores and results at: http://pblessman.googlepages.com/2008Mi ... intPDF.pdf
I'll post individual scores in SQBS format once I have everything entered.

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Just to clarify, was it a double RR in the playoffs?

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan » Sun May 11, 2008 10:57 am

Top 4 played a round robin ...... the top two played a final as such:

East Lansing had defeated DCC once in the morning round robin, and once in the afternoon round robin, and was given a one game advantage in the final. DCC would need to win twice to win the championship. It sounds a bit odd because two DCC wins would have tied the two teams head-to-head, but this was done for logistics reasons.

I dno't know what the score of the first match between them was. Their afternoon match was 30 points. The final match was not close.

pblessman
Tidus

Post by pblessman » Sun May 11, 2008 2:50 pm

SQBS stats are up: http://pblessman.googlepages.com/2008_M ... dings.html

The modus was full RR and then the matches from that RR carried over to the afternoon, where the top four played another RR among them, and the bottom four another RR among them, for a total of ten matches per team. At the end the top two faced off in the Final with the second place team (DCC) having to defeat the first place team (East Lansing) twice in a row to win the Championship, while the first place team would only have to win once. However, East Lansing won the first match, so all that was academic.

Thanks again to all the teams who came! This has been a great tournament each of the three years we have had it, and I hope to expand the numbers somewhat in the future (it looked like that was happening this year, before several teams withdrew).

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Sun May 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Sounds like a great tournament, it's really good to see you getting all the teams 10 games a piece. I wish other tourneys could do that more frequently. I guess it had to do with your small field and different type of question set. I've never seen NSC before, since it's pretty much NAQT-central over here in the East.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

pblessman
Tidus

Post by pblessman » Sun May 11, 2008 3:31 pm

The tournament was actually NAQT- and I always get all teams about 10 matches. Any tournament I have I rebracket for the afternoon. With larger fields, I just make more brackets. At our tournament in January we had 30 teams (18 V and 12 Frosh/Soph). We played 3x6 V and 2x6 F/S RR in the morning and then rebracketed: Top 2 from each V bracket went to the Championship RR, 3 and 4 went to the Consolation RR, and 5 and 6 went to the "Fun!" RR. FS rebracketed top three and bottom 3. That gave each team 9 matches (five morning, four afternoon).