Discussion of how to build a team

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Discussion of how to build a team

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Holy crap you've played a lot of matches, i just looked at your record, Lee. How on earth did you play so many? You've played more (according to Byko) than any other team in the country...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Re: The sad truth.

Post by TheCzarMan »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Holy crap you've played a lot of matches, i just looked at your record, Lee. How on earth did you play so many? You've played more (according to Byko) than any other team in the country...
Seconded.

Dear christ man.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Going to tournaments can do that to you.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auron

How can you afford to go to so many?

And how, if every single "expert" on here says they they must, can your team have 156 wins if they don't write questions because you told me that they hate doing so?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:How can you afford to go to so many?
We can't. We're having to scramble to get enough to money to go to nationals right now.
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:And how, if every single "expert" on here says they they must, can your team have 156 wins if they don't write questions because you told me that they hate doing so?
Your guess is as good as mine.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

And how, if every single "expert" on here says they they must, can your team have 156 wins if they don't write questions because you told me that they hate doing so?
You beat teams who don't write questions and lose to teams who do.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

metsfan001 wrote:

We've actually found studying college questions and Wikipedia to be more useful...
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

SwissBoy wrote:
metsfan001 wrote:

We've actually found studying college questions and Wikipedia to be more useful...
Ask any athlete if they love doing wind sprints, lifting weights, and practicing. Preparation has a lot to do with eventual success.

I don't know about the Wikipedia stuff... but to an extent it could help.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

This topic probably needs to be split off into the main forum, but I will answer some of the questions posed:

1) How did we play so much?
At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, Charlie was right. We went to tournaments. I have a team that actually complains if they go more than a week without a tournament, so I try to find somewhere for them to go. It's been a struggle trying to juggle family, work, grad school, and this team. But, if they want to compete, I'm going to try and find a way. Fortunately, we do live in an area with a lot of available tournaments. Unfortunately, many of these tournaments aren't of the greatest quality in terms of questions... And, I don't mean to sound like I'm making excuses, but some of our losses can be attributed to bad questions and hoses.

2) How do we afford to go to so many tournaments?
This is sort of amusing, considering how hard we struggle financially... I often find myself in debt to teams (I'm looking at you, Charlie Steinhice. You're check should be in the mail). Seriously, though - we host at least two or three tournaments a year. We get our local state representatives to donate to us. Parents who can afford it make contributions. We also hold car washes, yard sales, etc. Here at the end of the year, it is costing $275 out of pocket per students to attend both HSNCT and PACE.

3) About question writing....
We have beaten teams that write questions. And, my team HAS written questions before. We have a house-written tournament at the beginning of the year. But, I've never seen a great deal of improvement coming from them writing questions. Again, I think that this is a learning style issue more than anything. Personally, I have written thousands and thousands of questions for tournaments all over the nation. I also participated in many packet-submission tournaments in college. I never gained nearly as much from writing questions as I did from reading packets, playing on packets, etc. It doesn't matter how good or experienced a player is, writing questions just doesn't make some players better.

Again, I'm not arguing AGAINST question writing. I'm just saying it hasn't worked for us and for my teams. I still have my teams do it occasionally, but I would rather them read and study material instead of writing a ton of questions.
metsfan001 wrote:You beat teams who don't write questions and lose to teams who do.
It's not that simple. We've beaten teams that write questions... and we've lost to some teams that probably don't.

Also, someone said something along the lines of "New teams get more from reading/playing packets and experienced teams need to research things in order to 30 bonuses." (I don't remember the exact wording or who said it).

In reply to that, "researching" is not mutually exclusive to writing questions. I have players all the time who run to a computer or reference work after a round in order to look up something that they heard within the round. But, they don't necessarily write a tossup on the subject. They research it, learn what they needed to know, and then get on with practice.

Anyway... I hope this answers some questions and clarifies my stance on question writing. If it works for you, that's great. If it doesn't, then don't try to force it to. Do what works best for you to become a better player.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Holy crap you've played a lot of matches, i just looked at your record, Lee. How on earth did you play so many? You've played more (according to Byko) than any other team in the country...
Part of it could just be that he's sent me more results than most places/teams across the country. After all, I am just one man, and this one man has had a rather hectic 2008 already.

Thanks, Lee--as always, greatly appreciated.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:
Part of it could just be that he's sent me more results than most places/teams across the country. After all, I am just one man, and this one man has had a rather hectic 2008 already.

Thanks, Lee--as always, greatly appreciated.
Good point. I do think that we have stats up for every tournament we attended this year. That makes a difference. There were a few tournaments where I would've preferred the stats not go into the database, but I'm all for promoting the greater good and whatnot.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Auron

Ouch, it was just a simple question. Doesn't mean that i'm not going to utilize all the help, i already have in fact, or at least i'm in the process of doing so.

It's just awesome to see so many wins in one season, that's phenomenal. That's more wins than my school has had, arguably, since i graduated from here seven years ago.. I'm just consistently amazed at some of the caliber of teams here that i don't even know exist until i start talking to individuals.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Ouch, it was just a simple question. Doesn't mean that i'm not going to utilize all the help, i already have in fact, or at least i'm in the process of doing so.
That's backtracking a little, to be honest, since it was a simple question phrased pretty hostilely. That doesn't bother me too much, but it's perhaps not the way you ought to say things. And in other places, instead of saying simply that you're using (and appreciate) their advice, you mention the backlash--you spend more time on how they're resisting than on the advice at hand.
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:It's just awesome to see so many wins in one season, that's phenomenal. That's more wins than my school has had, arguably, since i graduated from here seven years ago.. I'm just consistently amazed at some of the caliber of teams here that i don't even know exist until i start talking to individuals.
Yeah, it's impressive. Coming to as many tournaments as possible, and playing the hardest teams and best questions possible, both gets you better and exposes you to those schools. I recommend that you come to Harvard's house-written invitational tournament on 11/15 next year. It'll be an opportunity for you to compete in a field of 36 teams, many of whom will be very, very good.
Andrew Watkins
Auron

Re: Discussion of how to build a team

Come to Harvard? Our school doesn't even like us driving 2 hours away, let alone 6½ hours for an overnight trip. I suppose i won't rule it out, but baby steps down here in Slower Lower Delaware.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I can understand that; we essentially only traveled very far for nationals when I was in high school. I think it seems to be more and more necessary every year to travel and get to play teams outside your area. Granted, you're lucky--dare I say it!--to have Charter around for that purpose; I know that it helped us that State College came to about half the Pittsburgh tournaments..
Andrew Watkins
Auron

Oh don't get me wrong. I like having Charter around. Bill Tressler is a wonderful leader and coach and go-to guy for pretty much anything. I can't imagine what quizbowl would be like in Delaware without him or them. I couldn't do half of the stuff that he does.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

I must second Andy here. There are 4 good PA teams (States A and B, Moravian, and us). We murder pretty much everyone else. You are lucky to have Charter around. They are a strong team and they show up to stuff. We get to murder Kane and Rocky Grove.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18