2008 TJIAT (10/18/08) at TJHSST

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Re: 2008 TJIAT (10/18/08) at TJHSST

Post by Whiter Hydra »

aestheteboy wrote:As Evan earlier said, the tournament cap should be determined by the number of competent moderators.
We were able to do 24 games at a time in the Winter tournament last year, so we figured we could do it this year. Though then again, we didn't time it.
Also, on four separate occasions, we had to play on patchworked packet (i.e. tossups and bonus from the end of the packets) because the readers read the wrong packet or something. Four times . . . what in the world happened?
I don't know what happened there. I think it was a case of one moderator reading the wrong packet, and then the case compounding over the rounds.
Finally, - I guess this is pretty minor - the statroom was constantly behind. No one ever posted stats. We never got to the indiv prizes because they weren't entered into the computer. We waited more than we should have for rebracketing.
Yeah, that was my fault. I was trying to get used to the system.
Regarding the questions: The questions were of such quality that I was seriously thinking about promising to never play in any NAQT tournament ever again, but they don't really deserve that. It's not like they are exploitative or morally reprehensible in the way that CBI and Chip are, so I have no reason to limit my options by boycotting their tournaments entirely. In fact, if I approach it with the right mindset, NAQT becomes quite enjoyable. Playing finger excercises and lateral thinking with good teams is actually pretty fun and exciting (no sarcasm intended).
Yeah, I took a peek at some of those questions and it seemed like some of them were written at the last minute. And in a startling coincidence, some of those questions were actually written yesterday. Though at least they make an effort.
Regarding the teams: Charter is still by far the best team I've played all year. State College, GDS, Gov, etc. are certainly very good, but Charter simply exists at a different level.
There was a game in which Charter beat a team 790-0. I sense a very good team in the works.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

closesesame wrote:I also want to thank all the coaches who moderated for us today, especially the Caesar Rodney coach, John Gilbert, Tressler, and Dr. Barnes. We hope that, despite the fact it took a good chunk of your Saturday, you enjoyed our tournament and felt you got the most quizbowl for your money.
You're welcome! It was my pleasure. I really REALLY enjoyed reading, especially once i started figuring out that teams loved hearing me read and race through to get to 20 questions in 18 minutes (all but once! damnit!) but still "enunciate" and be clear. It feels really good to contribute and help make this a better run and more fun tournament. I hope i did.

And my kids had a blast and feel very content with their 8-4 record (7-4 not counting the bye). I see us improving and starting to beat some teams that i don't know if we could have beaten last year.

I saw some just awesome awesome teams as well... observations from rounds i read:
~Henry and Co. were pretty unstoppable today
~Daichi is even better than i noticed last time
~GDS really impressed me, and Ian performed very well
~Blake is VASTLY improved and i thoroughly enjoy seeing Isaac and Co. perform
~Whitman was also really really impressive and incredibly fast
~having 2 teams in my bracket not show up made for a weird morning
~sorry about our buzzers being kinda stupid....
~timed matches are FUN to moderate when you know what you're doing and saying
~sorry about that one mistake i made with Maggie Walker in round 12, my fault entirely
~hi to the kids at JEB Stuart and Bishop Ireton... feel good about today and keep practicing! you've got a lot of potential with your positive attitude and work ethic

All in all, a really fun day. I think TJ did a very admirable job considering the other tournaments we see at times. Nice work guys. We'd love to come (and i'd love to help out) again.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Mr. C., the issue with Round 12 was at least partially Greg's fault, and it was a neg anyway, so no big deal. We were so happy to not have to wait until states to qualify for HSNCT that we weren't concerned with that anyway. And it didn't make even a small difference (can't wait to face you on real questions, Ian).

Really, I would have to agree that the set was kind of ridiculous, and the logistics was a bit of a mess, but really, considering we started late, 6:15 or so for 13 rounds isn't too bad. It definitely could have been worse, especially since one room in our bracket had to shift constantly due to non-working buzzers. It was definitely fortuitous to have had Mr. Gilbert in that room, as the other readers in our bracket seemed pretty new-ish and may not have been able to handle that as well.

It was definitely fun playing people, especially Dunbar, who I don't believe I've faced before. They impressed me, and I agree with Mr. C. that Blake has improved a lot from last year. I do greatly look forward to playing everyone again on less random questions, though... I also feel a bit bad about the way our round against WJ went...I hate to see a tie broken like that, even if I managed to do it.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

hwhite wrote:And in addition, Charter, Dorman, GDS, and State College each received berths to the PACE NSC. Good job guys!
According to this, the top 8 qualify for PACE NSC.
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

That's a good point. Top 8 qualify for PACE. Yay!
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Is it just me who noticed, or was TU distribution seem a little different. I saw a lot more geography (which was great) and current events (which I neg on a lot). A well run tournament overall. A few readers were meh, but when you have 24 rooms, not too much you can do. Great job.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

I'd also like to congratulate Naren on some really impressive speed-reading. 15 questions in 9 minutes; it was spectacular.
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Auron

That is impressive... i never got through more than 12 in a half, but then again i didn't have a scorekeeper with me. Still, that's excellent to be able to read that quickly and clearly for great teams.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Allez Cuisine
Lulu

Post by Allez Cuisine »

Hello everyone,

This is Greyson, your Homer Simpson Slipper-wearing co-tournament director.

First off, I am very gracious toward everyone for their patience yesterday. Secondly, I'm obligated to apologize to Daichi (and the rest of WJ), Ian (and the rest of GDS), and the other teams who had packet mix-up issues. This was a direct result of a single moderator who was asked to read at the last minute, bringing up a very good point. We were understaffed. Normally, this is not an issue; however, a ridiculously high number of people who said that they would be able to moderate and scorekeep decided that they couldn't attend.

As for stats, if we're going to play 12 timed rounds, there's no way we can put in individual stats quickly enough to have them by the end unless we use TAFT (we used SQBS due to a severe lack of funds). Even then, it's still iffy. However, Harry and I will do our best to get these stats up as quickly as possible, and now that we have funds, we will you TAFT in our January tournament.

Also, I'm curious as to everyone's opinions of our system (seven round prelims, five round card system playoff, five round playoff round robin, three round (supposedly) quarter-semi-final). Last January we fairly successfully used the card system for a 7 round prelim, then did a standard single-elimination playoff. Is this preferred? Is something else preferred? I'd like to know so that the January tournament this year can be a success.

Finally, I'd really appreciate hearing any and all questions/comments/concerns you have. You can either post them in this topics or email them to me at [email protected]
Greyson Lewis
Terry Jermaine's Hasidic School for Sarcasm and Theocracy '10
Tournament Director
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Allez Cuisine wrote:As for stats, if we're going to play 12 timed rounds, there's no way we can put in individual stats quickly enough to have them by the end unless we use TAFT (we used SQBS due to a severe lack of funds).
False!
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Auron

Allez Cuisine wrote:First off, I am very gracious toward everyone for their patience yesterday. Secondly, I'm obligated to apologize to Daichi (and the rest of WJ), Ian (and the rest of GDS), and the other teams who had packet mix-up issues. This was a direct result of a single moderator who was asked to read at the last minute, bringing up a very good point. We were understaffed. Normally, this is not an issue; however, a ridiculously high number of people who said that they would be able to moderate and scorekeep decided that they couldn't attend.
From what i saw, things went well. No tournament is going to be perfect. Considering the staffing issues, i think you all did very well on Saturday. I was happy to help.
Allez Cuisine wrote:As for stats, if we're going to play 12 timed rounds, there's no way we can put in individual stats quickly enough to have them by the end unless we use TAFT (we used SQBS due to a severe lack of funds). Even then, it's still iffy. However, Harry and I will do our best to get these stats up as quickly as possible, and now that we have funds, we will you TAFT in our January tournament.
Not a big deal, just as long as stats are obviously posted sometime in the near future. I mean just think of how many games and scores you had to manually add up and compile. More than i could handle probably. The war room seemed pretty orderly to me, not the chaos i've seen in other places.
Allez Cuisine wrote:Also, I'm curious as to everyone's opinions of our system (seven round prelims, five round card system playoff, five round playoff round robin, three round (supposedly) quarter-semi-final). Last January we fairly successfully used the card system for a 7 round prelim, then did a standard single-elimination playoff. Is this preferred? Is something else preferred? I'd like to know so that the January tournament this year can be a success.
I thought this format we had on Saturday was great. As long as the matches are timed then you can get through a ton of games, and that's really what i think most teams want, the opportunity to play. This was as efficient a system as i've seen employed anywhere and about as fair as it can get.
Allez Cuisine wrote:Finally, I'd really appreciate hearing any and all questions/comments/concerns you have. You can either post them in this topics or email them to me at [email protected]
All in all, like i said, i thought you ran things really well and did a great job of communicating any concerns or problems to everybody quickly. We'd love to come again.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

BuzzerZen wrote:
Allez Cuisine wrote:As for stats, if we're going to play 12 timed rounds, there's no way we can put in individual stats quickly enough to have them by the end unless we use TAFT (we used SQBS due to a severe lack of funds).
False!
Try Avram's new program. We used it for our IM tournament, and it worked really well. When inputing a game you can specify how many tossups were heard. And you don't really need a dedicated stats room because of internet uploading/compiling/entering or something.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

I am not a big fan of timed rounds, but I understand the rationale for keeping an efficient schedule. I was wondering how people would feel about having 10 minute halves instead of 9. That would only add 24 minutes to the day. (which could be made by starting the tournament in a more timely manner.) Twenty minute games would give you an average of two more questions read per game, which would be more conducive to the better team winning the game due to the larger sample size.

Some of the readers were only getting through 14 or 15 questions, which is not enough. I was reading as fast as I could without being totally unintelligible, and was only getting 19 or 20 questions in. If the 24 extra minutes is deemed too much, then maybe drop back a round. The 24 or so extra questions read during the day would be like reading an extra round of questions, so you would not really be short changing play in that sense.
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Allez Cuisine wrote:
Also, I'm curious as to everyone's opinions of our system (seven round prelims, five round card system playoff, five round playoff round robin, three round (supposedly) quarter-semi-final). Last January we fairly successfully used the card system for a 7 round prelim, then did a standard single-elimination playoff. Is this preferred? Is something else preferred? I'd like to know so that the January tournament this year can be a success.
Personally, I believe the card system works better with more rounds than five. It does not have the desired result until at least seven rounds are played. In my opinion, last year's format was better.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

We're probably going to go with something like we did last year for our Winter tournament. For one, we probably won't be able to do FIFTEEEEN untimed rounds and still finish at a reasonable time. Also, it won't be NAQT, so if we do single-elim, there shouldn't be the problem of one team beating another by chance. Also, advantaged semifinals are annoying if the other finalist cleared the field, which essentially meant a two-round bye.

But yeah, feel free to post any criticisms you may have; I do not plan on pulling a Keith and retiring if people complain about the way the tournament was run.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

jbarnes112358 wrote:I was reading as fast as I could without being totally unintelligible, and was only getting 19 or 20 questions in.
Same here. Most games were 18-20 questions. If my recollection is correct, even with two very good teams in the room, I would get through at least 50% of the question 50% of the time. With the lower-tiered teams, most questions were still answered by the end, so I was reading nearly as many bonuses.

I don't recall whether WoQ used 10- or 11-minute halves, but I thought we were better able to get through the entire packet if there were two good teams in the room.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

rmgeokid wrote:Personally, I believe the card system works better with more rounds than five. It does not have the desired result until at least seven rounds are played. In my opinion, last year's format was better.
The card system has issues once the number of rounds is greater than the log to the base two of the number of teams.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Howard wrote:I don't recall whether WoQ used 10- or 11-minute halves, but I thought we were better able to get through the entire packet if there were two good teams in the room.
WoQ used 11 minute halves.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

How about the radical 5 games of swiss-paired prelims (you may want to make this bracketed) and 7 games on bracketed playoff methods used at Harvard last year? Breaking ties would be a pain, though. 7 rounds of non-swiss pair prelim games would have been tedious if it had been on longer questions, but it was tolerable with NAQT because NAQT has all the ways to make games funn! So, a good format would probably involve 1. shorter prelims OR 2. swiss-paired prelims, AND non-single elimination playoffs. Single elimination just isn't great because 1v16 and 1v8 games aren't going to be that close.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

We won't be doing single-elimination, I assure you of that. I cannot stand single-elimination.
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
Allez Cuisine
Lulu

Post by Allez Cuisine »

dinoian wrote:
BuzzerZen wrote:
False!
Try Avram's new program. We used it for our IM tournament, and it worked really well. When inputing a game you can specify how many tossups were heard. And you don't really need a dedicated stats room because of internet uploading/compiling/entering or something.
Link? Also, is it internet based? Also, is it free >_>
Greyson Lewis
Tournament Director
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

hwhite wrote:We're probably going to go with something like we did last year for our Winter tournament. For one, we probably won't be able to do FIFTEEEEN untimed rounds and still finish at a reasonable time. Also, it won't be NAQT, so if we do single-elim, there shouldn't be the problem of one team beating another by chance. Also, advantaged semifinals are annoying if the other finalist cleared the field, which essentially meant a two-round bye.
As the coach of the team that waited around for an hour while Dorman beat State College twice, I have to agree. An hour might not seem like the end of the world, but my team was all up around 4:30am to catch an early bus, and myself, the students, and the bus driver were ready to head home.

I like the PACE tournament format, but as it got to be after 6pm I made the point that PACE does its nationals over two days. Perhaps trying to duplicate it in one day is too much? Even with NAQT's shorter questions, timed rounds, and theoretically good moderators at nationals, it takes them until after 6pm to do 15 rounds. I would encourage someone to suggest a format that preserves the spirit of the playoff brackets, but has a maximum of 12-13 rounds.

Another thing that came to mind was: Dorman had accumulated two losses by the time they got to the final. Charter had zero. Yet the final is winner take all (even if there had been a packet 16). Why is the semi-final advantaged but the final is not?

Having said all of that, this was a good tournament. I can forgive moderator challenges, because I've been there at times too. I wonder if a minimum number of questions rule should be implemented when you have an inexperienced moderator? I'm sorry my voice was shaky, or I would have read all the rounds for you instead of half of them.

When can we expect to see stats?
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:When can we expect to see stats?

ditto...
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Robbie Ram wrote:

ditto...
There is a giant stack of scoresheets at home. Next time, I am going to require that sdcorekeepers actually add up the totals when they're done with a match.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Auron

My bad. Probably should have done that. I was so worried about speed though (and running back and forth from the rooms) that i didn't do so. If it was just be reading (or scorekeeping) i definitely would have done so, but it was just me in there. Sorry. No hurry to post stats, at least we know they're coming.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Robbie Ram wrote:

ditto...
Ditto.

Double post, as well. Sorry for being annoying, but i guess with a tournament coming up for us soon, i want to see how a few of my kids did in case i need to make any changes for the team.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Any idea of when the stats might be up? I'm getting kind of tired of scrolling down to find this thread every time I sign on
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Sorry for nagging, but are the stats going to be posted?
Ping @Dunbar
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

I don't think a request once a week justifies as nagging. Although my post might be considered nagging... So if this is deemed as so, i apologize, but it would greatly be appreciated if the stats could be post before this Saturday, as Caesar Rodney has some decisions needing to be made for the composition of our A-team for GDS, and some stats would of course greatly help with that. So the individuals would be very nice to have.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

No one needs to be apologetic here in asking TJ folks to get the stats up. I mean, if anything, it's TJ people who are being rude and irresponsible. Part of the implied responsibility that comes with hosting quizbowl tournaments is posting stats, and hosts who don't do it are failing their job . . . what more can I say?
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I forgot that the stats haven't been posted yet, but really, this is just absurd after almost 3 weeks. Harry, post your stats already.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

aestheteboy wrote:No one needs to be apologetic here in asking TJ folks to get the stats up. I mean, if anything, it's TJ people who are being rude and irresponsible. Part of the implied responsibility that comes with hosting quizbowl tournaments is posting stats, and hosts who don't do it are failing their job . . . what more can I say?
Nothing, Daichi... that about says it all.

P.S. I'm only throwing in a comment here to bump the thread in the hopes that someone at TJ will notice that some of us haven't yet given up on possibly someday seeing stats posted here. Perhaps. Eventually. Maybe. Er... I hope.

("Bueller...? Bueller....?" "Um... I think he's sick...")
Michael P. Campana
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I think they're still tabulating all the posts with people asking for stats so they can get a read on what people want.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Auron

Did anyone bring this up to them on Saturday at GDS? Was there a response? Has anyone e-mailed someone from TJ personally to get an answer? Was that ignored?

I guess we'll get another chance at Penn on the 22nd when we're celebrating the 5-week anniversary of stats not being posted.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

I never thought I'd get stats for Harvard before stats for TJ....
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

All right, here's the deal with stats: we have not forgotten about them. Right now, we are actively trying to pressure Greyson into inputting the scoresheets, and to our dismay, he appears to be not caring.

Also, could you please stop complaining to me in particular about stats? I know about them, but it's out of my hands at the moment right now.
Harry White

Will run stats for food

We apologize for not having magic powers and being able to psychically figure out who specifically is in charge of stats. You ran the tournament, that makes you the face of the tournament that everyone directs their comments to, for better or for worse dude, accept it and don't lash back.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:We apologize for not having magic powers and being able to psychically figure out who specifically is in charge of stats. You ran the tournament, that makes you the face of the tournament that everyone directs their comments to, for better or for worse dude, accept it and don't lash back.
no way dude, he passed the buck to someone who has declared he has no intention of solving the problem, that's just as good as actually taking responsibility for solving it
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:We apologize for not having magic powers and being able to psychically figure out who specifically is in charge of stats. You ran the tournament, that makes you the face of the tournament that everyone directs their comments to, for better or for worse dude, accept it and don't lash back.
no way dude, he passed the buck to someone who has declared he has no intention of solving the problem, that's just as good as actually taking responsibility for solving it
Except Greyson is the other Tournament Director.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

hwhite wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:
Except Greyson is the other Tournament Director.
It is now your responsibility to take the scoresheets from his possession and input them yourself.
Andrew Watkins

Yeah dude, you totally don't get this thing about dealing with the public and being the face of your tournament (which you are since all Greyson has really done is post a tournament wrapup, at least in this thread). When people post saying they think it's crazy TJ has taken this long to upload stats, its not some bizarre conspiracy to prove that everyone hates Harry White or something, its a group of people posting that they think it's crazy TJ hasn't posted stats yet. Whether or not that is your direct responsibility nobody really knows, and in any case nobody really cares since it should still be someone at TJ's responsibility. Your job is to then pester the person until they do it, and not lash out at everyone making reasonable demands of your tournament or go out of your way to dodge the criticism by telling everyone it isn't your direct job.

Allez Cuisine
Lulu

Post by Allez Cuisine »

Hi everyone,

First off, I apologize profusely for the long amount of time stats have taken; our scorekeepers were perhaps partially deaf in Harry's and my pleas to fill in the entire scoresheet. As such, I have been spending copious amounts of time finishing scoresheets, entering scoresheets, and learning more for It's Ac. Preliminary stats (read: First Seven Rounds) are in a post below this one (Thank you to Harry Gorman for pointing out my error).

Also, I take near-full responsibility for the delay in posting the stats; I completely understand your frustration and can promise you that I will never let such a thing happen again while I am TD. You have my word, and feel free to hold it to me (though I hope you won't have to). It is unfair to have to wait so long for information which is fairly basic.

Full stats will be posted when the laborious task of completing every scoresheet is completed; my goal is within one week of this hour.
Last edited by Allez Cuisine on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greyson Lewis
Tournament Director
Allez Cuisine
Lulu

Post by Allez Cuisine »

Also, I am disappointed in Harry for believing I don't care about putting in scoresheets. I cannot assure you enough that his assertion is blatantly false. Clearly there is an issue present, and it will be resolved asap.
Greyson Lewis
Tournament Director
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

You definitely double-counted our game against Maret in these stats.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Allez Cuisine
Lulu

Post by Allez Cuisine »

Right you are, Mr. Gorman. Thank you for noticing that. The *real* stats are attached.

Updated Top 10 individual stats:

Rank Player Team Division GP 15 10 -5 TUH P/TU P/N Pts PPG
1 Henry Gorman Wilmington Charter A Sniper 7.0 23 36 6 132 5.11 3.83 675 96.43
2 Todd Packer Gonzaga A Scout 6.0 20 29 4 112 5.09 5.00 570 95.00
3 Ian Eppler Georgetown Day A Medic 5.0 20 23 6 99 5.05 3.33 500 100.00
4 Kuo-Kai Walter Johnson Soldier 7.0 23 23 12 112 4.60 1.92 515 73.57
5 Great Typhoon State College A Soldier 7.0 12 26 4 111 3.78 3.00 420 60.00
6 Norrington Walt Whitman Medic 5.0 10 25 7 101 3.61 1.43 365 73.00
7 Greg Tito Maggie Walker A Engineer 7.0 17 24 3 135 3.56 5.67 480 68.57
8 This Guy Blake A Demoman 6.0 2 34 4 112 3.12 0.50 350 58.33
9 Luke Nicasto Woodson Sniper 7.0 8 27 5 128 2.85 1.60 365 52.14
10 Palin McLaughlin State College B Engineer 7.0 6 30 10 121 2.81 0.60 340 48.57

Kuo-Kai still wins the neg prize.
Attachments
TJIAT 2008 Prelim Stats.zip
(55.32 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Greyson Lewis
Tournament Director
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Oh, wow, stats. wonderful. Thanks Greyson.
I'm disappointed to see that my prophecy about WJ's ppb turned out to be false, though.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

In case this helps anyone, I put the stats up on our webpage.
Auron

How is Gonzaga 4-4 and JM 1-5 in the Sniper bracket?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:How is Gonzaga 4-4 and JM 1-5 in the Sniper bracket?
Probably an error- it says they played Wakefieldm twice with near identical results.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Thanks for the stats, Greyson...

Did Langley A really go 0-7 in the prelims? I think they beat us in the playoffs unless I'm seriously confused...ouch! And that's three rounds after we played WJ (who eventually finished the prelims 6-1-) and lost by only 5 points!. Chalk it up to weird NAQT-ness, I guess??? Or else my team's collective brain went on vacation during the playoffs...

As to the player stats, there is no "Harry" on my team; that is supposed to be Eric (who is also listed separately). And finally, the "games played" for Elaine and Thomas don't add up correctly; admittedly, math isn't my strong point-- but I'm pretty sure that 1.0 + 1.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.0 = 5.0 (not 5.1), and 1.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 3.0 (not 2.9), as listed on their player detail tables. In fact, I'm also pretty sure that each of them played exactly half of all seven prelim games... but I may have to go back and check my own score sheets on that.

So, for future tournaments you definitely need to have your scorekeepers and data-entry types be a bit more careful.

I'm interested to see the playoff stats & scoreboard when you complete that, so thanks again for making the effort.
Michael P. Campana
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA