Chip's Love of Pyramids! (renamed from NAC legitimacy)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Chip's Love of Pyramids! (renamed from NAC legitimacy)

Post by AKKOLADE » Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 pm

Ed McMahon is the best gimmick poster since the 2007 San Diego Padres.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
lasercats
Tidus
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Tulsa/Norman OK.
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by lasercats » Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 am

I'm leaving in a bout 2 hours for Sunny DC! If any of you are going, see you there, and I'll try my best to moderate your games with great efficiency.
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.
Posts: 1975
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:42 pm

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Tegan » Thu May 29, 2008 10:47 am

quizbowlben wrote:In spite of all the :chip:-bashing I've read here and elsewhere, it was a well-run tournament with good questions... none of the shenanigans of past years for which :chip: is regularly lambasted. Whether or not it was coincidence I guess I will find out in Chicago.
Ben,

I wasn't there, so I can't say anything for sure. I'll try and stop in to Chicago to get a feel for things.

As far as "more organized" .... perhaps .... but keep in mind, Chip never has more than 4(?) teams playing at once. NAQT has most of 176 playing at once. It may appear more organized though I would like to see the NAC pull off what NAQT does. My guess: they couldn't get the personnel, let alone work the logistics.

As far as efficient .... I think it takes a great deal of efficiency to pull off what NAQT does ..... in the space of a few hours, they check in 176 teams, deal with (about) 70-80 game officials, run everything on a card system that has few (not none) problems. Does NAQT >>look<< more chaotic than NAC .... absolutely! But, considering what NAQT is trying to pull off ..... run a tournament in as fair a way to all teams as possible ..... trying to get 10 matches in in such a small amount of time ..... all while keeping players at the focus of what is going on ..... I can't say that the NAC is more "efficient" ..... I think they just deal with things in smaller bite-sized quantities.
Last edited by Tegan on Thu May 29, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Byko
Auron
Posts: 1039
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:54 pm
Location: Edgewater, MD

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Byko » Thu May 29, 2008 11:31 am

The DC phase of NAC is coming up this weekend. Time for my questions on who some of these teams are:

1. Middletown - I presume they're from New York?
2. Greensboro - Is this Greensboro Day from North Carolina?
3. Lincoln Prep - Are they from Kansas City, Missouri?
4. Lincolnton - Are they from North Carolina?
5. Saint Mary's - I have no idea which Saint Mary's team this is--are they from Ohio? West Virginia? Somewhere else?
6. Yorktown - Is this Yorktown from Indiana or Virginia?
7. Wilson - I'm guessing this is Wilson from Pennsylvania and not from around Florence, South Carolina, yes?
8. Richlands - Are they yet another North Carolina team?

That's all for this one.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by AKKOLADE » Thu May 29, 2008 11:41 am

Byko wrote:5. Saint Mary's - I have no idea which Saint Mary's team this is--are they from Ohio? West Virginia? Somewhere else?
Well, it could be the WV team, but I believe they're attending PAC and it'd be very unusual for a WV team to attend two nationals in the same year.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Howard
Yuna
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 5:42 pm
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Howard » Thu May 29, 2008 11:59 am

Byko wrote:1. Middletown - I presume they're from New York?
There's also a Middletown in Frederick County, MD, but I'd be surprised to see them at a national tournament. I don't recall ever seeing them anywhere other than It's Academic, though.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Thu May 29, 2008 12:54 pm

The closest to quizbowl that I've ever seen Lincoln prep get is French language Jeopardy at UMKC foreign language day, so either Chip has duped them into attending that or it's another Lincoln prep.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

jbarnes112358
Tidus
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:58 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by jbarnes112358 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Deesy Does It wrote:The closest to quizbowl that I've ever seen Lincoln prep get is French language Jeopardy at UMKC foreign language day, so either Chip has duped them into attending that or it's another Lincoln prep.
Well, I received a phone message from QU saying I had a team qualify for NAC jr. (or whatever it's called) by virtue of our ninth grade team doing so well at KMO Jr. High division. So, things other than quizbowl apparently can "qualify" you for NAC.

The fact that we are having such a hard time identifying these teams is because they are not exactly household names in quizbowl circles. This does not necessarliy mean they are not good teams, however.

There is a St. Mary's in Raleigh, NC that has a quizbowl team. Maybe that's the one. Though, there are probably dozens of St. Marys around the country.

evilmonkey
Yuna
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by evilmonkey » Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Byko wrote: 6. Yorktown - Is this Yorktown from Indiana or Virginia?
I didn't even realize there was a Yorktown Indiana. Chances are very good that this is not them.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15

User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
Posts: 4631
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Deviant Insider » Fri May 30, 2008 11:07 am

David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

Byko
Auron
Posts: 1039
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:54 pm
Location: Edgewater, MD

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Byko » Fri May 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Ah, you saw that too. Sure, it's cute, but it shouldn't be a question, especially at a tournament that emphasizes "significa, not trivia."
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Fri May 30, 2008 12:49 pm

QU wrote:[...] the judges had to decide whether to accept Jackson's answer of "an arrow" on a 60-Second question that asked what the eagle on the dollar bill is holding in its right claw (Ans. "arrows.")
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

scquizbowl
Wakka
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by scquizbowl » Sat May 31, 2008 9:46 pm

Well, at the tournament, James Island was 6-0, along with Booker T. Washington (from Tulsa, OK), and perhaps one other team, as Booker T played in a great game against Byram Hills, determined by one toss-up, probably one of the best games of the tournament.

The readers were pretty good, as Mr. Beall was his normal self, but there were others that were enjoyable, as it was well-run except for a few technical difficulties.

Several of the computers malfunctioned, so there was an hour delay in one room, but it got pared down pretty quickly. Also, in the match before the Booker T. match, the computer malfunctioned, and the rest of the match had to be run by Mr. Beall. They haven't announced the playoff pairings yet, because the last match didn't finish until around 8:15.

Several of the matches were exciting, with close games abound in the six rooms.

The playoffs start tomorrow, with the first matches at 8:30. Teams that are 4-2 or better make the playoffs.

Joe-James Island
Joe
James Island '10

SHP Pirate
Rikku
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by SHP Pirate » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:33 am

How did New Rochelle (NY) fare? I have had the opportunity to read for them several times this year and they can be a very strong team.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

User avatar
lasercats
Tidus
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Tulsa/Norman OK.
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by lasercats » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:22 pm

The game just finished a few minutes ago. I am proud to announce that my team, Booker T. Washington, won the DC leg and wil advance directly to the final match in Chicago. They beat New Rochelle 340-235 (I think).
Captain Dylan Hames was awarded MVP.

:party:
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by First Chairman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm

Let's not forget the Junior Nationals where we heard: "Disney announced that rights of High School Musical will be released so what places can do their own performance at the local level?" (Ans. High schools)

Booyah! to Bate Middle School (Danville KY).

Oh yeah, the High School Nationals wrap-up continues.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 pm

NAC continues to astound me by asking middle schoolers about The Myth of Sisyphus and high schoolers about the, like, fifth-most-famous work of William Hogarth.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

User avatar
Mike Bentley
Auron
Posts: 5831
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Mike Bentley » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:53 pm

NAC wrote:What symbol is used for the Logical Not function in C++? (Ans. !)
This is the type of CS I'm talking about!
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
NAC wrote:What symbol is used for the Logical Not function in C++? (Ans. !)
This is the type of CS I'm talking about!
CATEGORY: FUTURE IS SET BONUS PARTS
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

evilmonkey
Yuna
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by evilmonkey » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:06 pm

PICKMENEXTTIMEJERK wrote: Oh yeah, the High School Nationals wrap-up continues.
NAC Write-up wrote:New Rochelle next answered the following pyramidal tossup after only the first part of the pyramid:
I noticed that, of the questions they featured in the write-up, most were pyramidal. Should we take this as a sign that Chip is starting to write harder questions, or just enough to try to look legitimate? That analysis from the field trip would be helpful...

EDIT: I lied. Only the ones in the paragraph I read were pyramidal
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:11 pm

evilmonkey wrote:I noticed that, of the questions they featured in the write-up, most were pyramidal. Should we take this as a sign that Chip is starting to write harder questions, or just enough to try to look legitimate? That analysis from the field trip would be helpful...
I can't talk about specific questions until the NAC is completely done, but let me assure you, based on my observations, that the NAC is worse than ever, the people claiming anything about it has improved are on crack, and that everyone, including our new NAC moderator poster, who is involved in any way with putting on such a nonsense excuse for a tournament should be ashamed of themselves.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

cdcarter
Yuna
Posts: 945
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:06 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by cdcarter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Ukonvasara wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
NAC wrote:What symbol is used for the Logical Not function in C++? (Ans. !)
This is the type of CS I'm talking about!
CATEGORY: PAST IS SET BONUS PARTS
Fixed for truth
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)

SHP Pirate
Rikku
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by SHP Pirate » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Interesting write-up from DC ... So, Booker T. Washington, because they won in DC, automatically advance to the championship game? I guess that the finalists from Chicago will play for the chance to play against the Dallas winner? Why not wait until the Chicago phase is over before seeding the final four? (No disrespect meant toward Booker T. Washington. I am just curious why Chip would award the number one seed after just two-thirds of the tournament.)

Well ... see you in Chicago!
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:24 pm

SHP Pirate wrote:Interesting write-up from DC ... So, Booker T. Washington, because they won in DC, automatically advance to the championship game? I guess that the finalists from Chicago will play for the chance to play against the Dallas winner? Why not wait until the Chicago phase is over before seeding the final four? (No disrespect meant toward Booker T. Washington. I am just curious why Chip would award the number one seed after just two-thirds of the tournament.)
Because the tournament is a corrupt farce and the teams Chip wants to win get a large advantage.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
Posts: 4631
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Deviant Insider » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 pm

According to that summary, BTW gets the #1 seed because they won the site with the most teams.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

SHP Pirate
Rikku
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by SHP Pirate » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:40 pm

With Wilmington (Byko # 5), Center Grove (Byko # 23), Chaska (Byko # 35) and SHP (Byko # 49) all playing in Chicago, it would seem wise to wait and see the final results before seeding. Granted that Booker is # 42 in Byko rankings. (It would be great if Chip would post all of the scores for comparitive purposes.)
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 pm

See, you don't really need to pay attention to the Byko rankings there because they are much better at predicting results on well edited pyramidal sets that go out of their way to reward depth of knowledge. Just because Wilmington Charter is clearly the most talented of the teams in the field doesn't mean anything here.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

SHP Pirate
Rikku
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by SHP Pirate » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:53 pm

Agreed. But as Booker T's reported results are scanty at best, I am using the tools available. The "X" factor becomes the re-use of questions from previous sets. At a recent local event (using QUnlimted questions) there were verbatim repeats from the QuizNet tournaments and last year's NAC set.

Having seen Charter A many times this year, I would have to assume that it is their tournament to win. (But, as Bill has stated, they have never fared better than 4-2 in this format ...)
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by First Chairman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 pm

Isn't it because W. Charter isn't willing to pay thousands more cash-money on practice questions that would most likely (re)appear at the NAC? :wink:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

User avatar
lasercats
Tidus
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Tulsa/Norman OK.
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by lasercats » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Matt Weiner wrote:
evilmonkey wrote:I noticed that, of the questions they featured in the write-up, most were pyramidal. Should we take this as a sign that Chip is starting to write harder questions, or just enough to try to look legitimate? That analysis from the field trip would be helpful...
I can't talk about specific questions until the NAC is completely done, but let me assure you, based on my observations, that the NAC is worse than ever, the people claiming anything about it has improved are on crack, and that everyone, including our new NAC moderator poster, who is involved in any way with putting on such a nonsense excuse for a tournament should be ashamed of themselves.

You're right: I should be ashamed of myself for accepting a job, having a great time, and getting the opportunity to read questions for high school teams at the national level. I don't think I'll be able to show my face tomorrow.
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11

User avatar
lasercats
Tidus
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Tulsa/Norman OK.
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by lasercats » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:46 pm

SHP Pirate wrote:Interesting write-up from DC ... So, Booker T. Washington, because they won in DC, automatically advance to the championship game? I guess that the finalists from Chicago will play for the chance to play against the Dallas winner? Why not wait until the Chicago phase is over before seeding the final four? (No disrespect meant toward Booker T. Washington. I am just curious why Chip would award the number one seed after just two-thirds of the tournament.)

Well ... see you in Chicago!
Because the combined number of teams at Dallas and Chicago will equal the teams at DC. DC Has always been a bigger tournament, so the win there is more important.
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 pm

lasercats wrote:You're right: I should be ashamed of myself for accepting a job, having a great time, and getting the opportunity to read questions for high school teams at the national level. I don't think I'll be able to show my face tomorrow.
If you actually want to talk about this I'd be happy to explain why the NAC is so bad as to make it unacceptable for anyone to associate herself with it, but I'd like some assurances in advance that you want a serious discussion so I don't waste my time on someone who's just going to say "I had a lot of Funn at the tournament therefore it's OK to steal questions and put forth eight-word tossups on non-academic subjects in exchange for the exorbitant entry fees."
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
The Time Keeper
Auron
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by The Time Keeper » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 pm

lasercats wrote:getting the opportunity to read questions for high school teams at the national level.
Unless you moderated at the PACE NSC or NAQT HSNCT you didn't get this opportunity. I wouldn't have posted otherwise, but referring to the NAC as being on the "national level" is a, albeit unintentional I'm sure, slap in the face to everyone involved in the creation and playing of the real national tournaments.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.

User avatar
lasercats
Tidus
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Tulsa/Norman OK.
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by lasercats » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Clearly, I am too stupid and unworthy of being at this board because I happen to enjoy a certain competition. Every post made about me has been ridden with assumptions that are false. Just because I worked there and liked what I did and will do next weekend in Chicago does not mean that I think it is perfect; far from it. However, I have the integrity to stand up for my belief that NAC is a valid and rewarding competition. It may not be as "perfect" as NAQT and PACE apparently are, but I like to root for the underdog. And what happened yesterday? The underdog, rated 42 in the Byko won. Regardless of what you brats think about it I am beyond proud of what my former team accomplished yesterday, along with the other teams who did not take the title.
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11

SHP Pirate
Rikku
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by SHP Pirate » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 am

Maggie,

Just ignore the vitriol. If you enjoy the game ... good for you. Matt ... give the kid a break. We know. Chip sucks. NAC sucks. You have made your point. We play more NAQT than anything else. We also dabble in NAC style. We even played PACE format at Gonzaga. For whatever reason, there are a number of schools that enjoy the format. Let them. There are also several teams that play multiple formats. Does the fact that Charter is playing in Chicago this weekend lessen their accomplishments any? What about Chaska, who also played at HSNCT? I did not read Maggie's comments as an apology for NAC over NAQT/PACE. If she thinks it is rewarding, then that is fine.

And finally, Maggie ... to come onto this board which is clearly anti-Chip/NAC and defend it is a bit foolhardy. The feelings here are WELL known. I would just advise you to get to know your audience a little better. Last year, my SHP team lost to Harrison in the semifinal of DC. Harrison (from DC) and Greeley (from San Antonio) both had to play-into the championship game in Orlando. The size of the field should have nothing to do with playoff seedings. Quality of competition/wins should rule the day.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by AKKOLADE » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 am

professional discussion itt
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Matt Weiner » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:04 am

lasercats wrote:However, I have the integrity to stand up for my belief that NAC is a valid and rewarding competition. It may not be as "perfect" as NAQT and PACE apparently are, but I like to root for the underdog.
1) Your belief is wrong and there is something wrong with you for holding it.

2) The staff at the tournament "rooting" for anybody is a perfect example of why the NAC is illegitimate. Your crowing post about "my team" winning the tournament was supremely inappropriate. Is it any big mystery why Chip has a hard time hiding the fact that he fixes the tournament, when you are making posts like that?
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
Frater Taciturnus
Auron
Posts: 2463
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Frater Taciturnus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 am

After being a part of the NAC field trip, I stand by my axiom of "All things considered, setting yourself on fire is a better use of one's time, money, and gasoline than attending NAC."
George Berry
georgeberry.vcu@gmail.com
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

The Atom Strikes!
Tidus
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by The Atom Strikes! » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:06 am

lasercats wrote:Clearly, I am too stupid and unworthy of being at this bored because I happen to enjoy a certain competition. Every post made about me has been ridden with assumptions that are false. Just because I worked there and liked what I did and will do next weekend in Chicago does not mean that I think it is perfect; far from it. However, I have the integrity to stand up for my belief that NAC is a valid and rewarding competition. It may not be as perfect as NAQT and PACE apparently are, but I always root for the underdog. And what happened yesterday? The underdog, rated 42 in the Byko won. Regardless of what you brats think about it I am beyond proud of what my former team accomplished yesterday, along with the other teams who did not take the title.
Please read this article, this article, and this article, before making this kind of statement again-- before you make a post of this sort defending a tournament and calling Matt Weiner a brat, you should probably make sure that you know a bit about its history.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X

User avatar
The Time Keeper
Auron
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by The Time Keeper » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:06 am

It's reassuring to know that if I created a national and ran it on questions stolen verbatim from the 1999 HSNCT and audio questions consisting of "What rock is this?!" I could find at least a few people to defend it.

Coaches expect an email sometime next spring!
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by First Chairman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:07 am

lasercats wrote:Clearly, I am too stupid and unworthy of being at this board because I happen to enjoy a certain competition. Every post made about me has been ridden with assumptions that are false. Just because I worked there and liked what I did and will do next weekend in Chicago does not mean that I think it is perfect; far from it. However, I have the integrity to stand up for my belief that NAC is a valid and rewarding competition. It may not be as "perfect" as NAQT and PACE apparently are, but I like to root for the underdog. And what happened yesterday? The underdog, rated 42 in the Byko won. Regardless of what you brats think about it I am beyond proud of what my former team accomplished yesterday, along with the other teams who did not take the title.
Maggie, please email me. Don't consider it a call from the principal's office. :)

To others... please play nice...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Matt Weiner » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:07 am

I AM A BRAT PUT ME ON A BUN AND COVER ME WITH MUSTARD
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:10 am

Maggie, did you notice that Matt Weiner offered to talk to you about this in a civilized way? Responding with that kind of ad hominem shut-down to everything you're hearing is exactly why he is said what he did to you. We are fully capable of explaining to you in a real substantial way why the NAC is a tournament that is not a legitimate national title, but you have to actually be involved in a dialogue and not call people brats for thinking you are wrong.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

SHP Pirate
Rikku
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by SHP Pirate » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:11 am

I will make everyone reading this thread a promise. I will post regular updates from Chicago.
Byko (and numerous others on this board) can vouch for me. Let me see if this is the same old game or, if as claimed, Chip has made improvements. I am, admittedly, not optimistic, but I am willing to give an honest opinion.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by First Chairman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:24 am

Slight disagreement with the crowd here. Singling out Maggie specifically in saying that she and everyone else affiliated with NAC should be ashamed of being associated with that event... I personally think is out of line. In terms of English, yes, the words are fairly tame, but the intent is provocative. I don't think it's fair to do that to a 19-year old who is -- by Matt's own description -- new to this forum. We should not try to make people feel less important by association, especially when we force the issue hiding behind an argument that "we weren't really targetting you" when clearly you were. You elicited her emotional response to call you "brats" because you forced her to being ashamed (also an emotional "command"). Again, if she started a whole new thread calling us names, all bets are off. But that is not what happened, in my perception.

Thank you Henry for doing the right thing.

I've said my peace on this.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Matt Weiner » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:38 am

ILoveReeses wrote:Slight disagreement with the crowd here. Singling out Maggie specifically in saying that she and everyone else affiliated with NAC should be ashamed of being associated with that event... I personally think is out of line.
That's funny, because I think offering teams execrable questions and substandard ethics is out of line!
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
cornfused
Auron
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by cornfused » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 am

On a bit lighter note...
NAC wrote:What symbol is used for the Logical Not function in C++? (Ans. !)
You could, in fact, just buzz in anywhere in this question and yell, "BANG!," right? That's kind of awesome... though getting Chip to take your answer would be another issue.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:46 am

Matt Weiner wrote:I AM A BRAT PUT ME ON A BUN AND COVER ME WITH MUSTARD
Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to announce a side tournament to the Harvard Open, with a 1/1 distribution: PHYSICAL CHALLENGE. (The tiebreaker will be the PHYSICAL CHALLENGE from an earlier thread about the place of driver's ed and sex ed in quiz bowl; to maintain the mystery (mystery round lol) it will either involve spark plugs or a condom.)
lasercats wrote:It may not be as "perfect" as NAQT and PACE apparently are, but I like to root for the underdog.
NAQT and PACE aren't perfect, and we've never argued that. In fact, we're highly critical of some of the things NAQT does wrong, like element tossups and terrifyingly bad CS bonuses. Note that one of these criticisms actually appears in this thread! In a thread only a few inches away, there are a couple of criticisms of the PACE nationals set; these are things people pulled up from memory, not with the set in front of them. It's not that we think they're perfect and the NAC is less than perfect, but we can only accept perfection. We think that NAQT and PACE are very, very good, and the NAC has never given us any evidence to hold it anywhere better in our esteem than beneath contempt.

There are two problems with you rooting for the underdog. First, rooting for anyone is inappropriate for a moderator. Second, one should never hope that a team win unless that team is the best at the tournament. It is appropriate to root for a team you think is an underdog because it is underrated, but not otherwise. Chip does not provide quiz bowl; therefore, he produces random results (and often worse than random results), where bad quiz bowl teams beat good ones, either because the questions suck or because the matches are fixed. It is inappropriate to celebrate that.

Granted, earlier you said that you'd unabashedly champion your belief that Chip provides valid quiz bowl. I'd appreciate it if I could hear some of your arguments to that end, because they might be the first good ones I hear; one of us would learn a lot, either from your arguments or from my refutation thereof.
lasercate wrote:You're right: I should be ashamed of myself for accepting a job
This one time, a con man paid me to fleece underfunded high school programs by lying about the quality of a product; I even helped him produce his wares. I wasn't bothered a bit my his plagiarism issues, either!
lasercats wrote:having a great time
Having a great time running the NAC is kind of as sadistic as the Maddox page where he mocks the artwork of little kids, except for real.
lasercats wrote:questions
Questions, yes, sort of like "What is your name?" or "Did you attend this senior prom?" are questions; not the sort of questions that are good.
lasercats wrote:for high school teams
Intended for HS teams, sure; lawsuits are also intended for those who plagiarize from NAQT. Beneficial to high school teams? Not really.
lasercats wrote:I don't think I'll be able to show my face tomorrow.
That's probably an overreaction since you don't know any of us in real life, and since we're not hostile towards you, just your idea that Chip is good--or, specifically, why you will proclaim it enthusiastically without defending it.

Again, I want to hear your arguments why Chip is good, seeing as at the end of things, if you are convinced otherwise, you could be of service to a legitimate organization.

Also, generally speaking, people one calls brats are usually people substantially less than one's own age.

(To follow up on what's been said about singling you out: I fully and openly acknowledge that we're doing it, and I maybe don't think it's such a bad thing. All NAC volunteers have done a bad thing by making it possible for a bad thing to exist. It's an unfortunate situation, but morally, unless Chip is vindicated somehow, it's not too ambiguous. If Maggie can acknowledge that, move on, and start doing good things (like helping to run NAQT or PACE) then that's good. Otherwise, she will be continuing to do things that are bad.

I don't mean to make her less important by association; in fact, this makes her extremely important--because her bad action IS meaningful, and I have a vested interest in it being otherwise.)
Andrew Watkins

User avatar
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:54 am

cornfused wrote:buzz in anywhere in the question and yell, "BANG!"
I wish I had gone to NAC in high school just so I could have done this.
Chris Kennedy, MIT

User avatar
cornfused
Auron
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: NAC Schedules

Post by cornfused » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:54 am

lasercats wrote:However, I have the integrity to stand up for my belief that NAC is a valid and rewarding competition. It may not be as "perfect" as NAQT and PACE apparently are, but I like to root for the underdog.
I'm pretty sure the "underdog" in her statement refers to the NAC itself, guys.
lasercats wrote:And what happened yesterday? The underdog, rated 42 in the Byko won.
This is a failed witticism and the "underdog" here is different than in the previous quote - seriously, the "underdog" must've referred to the NAC. Right?

lasercats wrote:I don't think I'll be able to show my face tomorrow.
Sarcasm, Andy.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

Locked