Player name pronunciation

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Re: Player name pronunciation

Post by Deckard Cain »

Most people pronounce my last name right, but it's two syllables, the last of which is pronounced "-born" as opposed to "-burn."
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

A lot of times people say Bilimoría, emphasizing the fourth syllable, when it's really the third that gets stressed. Sometimes they omit the last i altogether: Bilimora and sometimes the second one as well: Bilmora.

Let's not even get started with spelling. When we had that car accident on the way to NAQT sectionals, I had to repeat just the first letter of my name about five times when the police officer was filling out the form with our names (I was watching him write). "Name?" "Farrah. F... F... F... F... F... " God.

Oh, and it was really awesome when class rolls back in elementary school were misspelled, and award certificates at the end of the year, too. There's absolutely no excuse for that sort of thing to happen.

fsb, who grew up hating her name. Darn Indian father.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox
Wakka

Post by Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox »

Now, my name may look simple to pronounce. I've always thought it so. But no matter where I go, there's always someone who can mess it up.

Rafe. RAYF. It rhymes with SAFE. Or, it could be RACE. with an "f" swapped for the "c". You wouldn't believe how many people over the years (and at various quizbowl tournaments and such) who have made me into a Basque nobleman by adding an "é" to the end of my name.

Rafé! (cue latin trumpet flare)

It makes me feel like I should be bullfighting.

Haddox. HAD-IX. Ix, like the planet in Dune that has many new machines, which are better than those on Richese. Not "Haddock", like the fish, or "HAD-OX", as if someone lost their livestock on the Green River in Oregon Trail.
Rafe Haddox
Ex-James Island '09 (you can email me for details, if you'd like)
Tiocfaidh ár lá!